ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers Thread/March Madness

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers Thread/March Madness 

Post#1961 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:So the recording stops after the players speak and we hear nothing on Gards response. Interesting.

*Cough* Alando *Cough*

I really do think there is a lot of things Gard should improve on. Honestly.

That said, look at the thousands of players that transferred in the past few months. I'm sure they'd have said negative things about Underwood, Roy Williams, etc. as they were on losing streaks in a closed-door meeting.

The reason I don't care about this too much in the near future is that Reuvers even claims Wahl, Davis, etc. are pissed and "might not be here next year if you don't fix this." Well, all of those guys plus Davison are back in a year where like 1,500 guys transferred. So either Gard fixed what he needed to or these guys were just pissed in the heat of the moment.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 10,001

Post#1962 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:56 pm

Also, I don't want to start getting into generalizations like toughen up and stop whining and be dismissive of players mental health and being able to talk to their coach and have a positive relationship beyond basketball but like, what are we doing here? He's your college basketball coach, not your best buddy. I do get that this is what we try to sell to recruits, the family atmosphere type thing. So I do hope he listened and addressed their concerns about some things that can be easily corrected, but like, it's not his job to prostrate himself before these college kids and beg for forgiveness and acceptance. At the end of the day there has to be some give and take on both sides.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#1963 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:57 pm

Regardless of Gard’s response, that’s how the players felt and that’s all that really matters.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 10,001

Post#1964 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:01 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:Regardless of Gard’s response, that’s how the players felt and that’s all that really matters.

I hope they looked in the mirror too is all I'm saying. For example, it can't be Greg Gard's fault that Reuvers played like **** all year. It's not all on Gard when the team goes on a 7 minute scoring drought. When these things weren't happening and we had some success the season prior to last everyone seemed happy as a clam.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1965 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:03 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Also, I don't want to start getting into generalizations like toughen up and stop whining and be dismissive of players mental health and being able to talk to their coach and have a positive relationship beyond basketball but like, what are we doing here? He's your college basketball coach, not your best buddy. I hope he listened and addressed their concerns about some things that can be easily corrected, but like, it's not his job to prostrate himself before these college kids and beg for forgiveness and acceptance.

Like I said, Gard is apparently even a more vanilla guy than I thought from a long run of stuff like this. Izzo has more "loving dad" and "have a beer with" personality.

But I have heard a lot of anecdotes from a fairly prominent assistant coach about a lot of the other major coaches. At a certain point they're on autopilot and the lead assistant is running practice, etc. Bo didn't connect that well with guys and I think coaching has changed in the past decade.

Hopefully Gard improves on this but it's basically sink or swim the next few years. If they win as I think they can in the next few years, this article is basically just another negative on the recent smear on guys like Reuvers or Tucker's personality. If they lose games or players, then Gard can't connect enough.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,231

Post#1966 » by midranger » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:06 pm

I, for one, am shocked!
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,320

Post#1967 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Yea for the most part it seems they don't like him being an older school tough guy coach. First thought, imaging how they'd have done under Bo. But, there is probably something Gard isn't doing right with his people skills with them. Perhaps someone like Bo who was obviously a hard ass scream at you type coach could then come in after and humanize it a bit in a dad type way and bring them back in where they felt appreciated. Maybe Gard is missing that part of it or doesn't have the people skills to do that. So they end up being kind of afraid or resentful of him rather than thinking he's pushing them but just wants them to do their best. Obviously just spitballing here and overall we should take with a grain of salt after such a weird year. But it definitely seems he has some issues to improve on.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1968 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:14 pm

midranger wrote:I, for one, am shocked!

Are you shocked that the guys that Reuvers suggested would leave all stayed? And Davison also did?
midranger
RealGM

Post#1969 » by midranger » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:18 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Are you shocked that the guys that Reuvers suggested would leave all stayed? And Davison also did?

I wish Davison had left with the lot of them.

But, no I am not shocked there were significant issues within the lockeroom that caused uninspired play and caused at least several players to transfer. We can compare receipts on that.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1970 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:33 pm

midranger wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Kerb Hohl wrote:

But, no I am not shocked there were significant issues within the lockeroom that caused uninspired play and caused at least several players to transfer. We can compare receipts on that.

"Several players to transfer"

Lol - so were you dying for Walt McGrory and Trevor Anderson to stay?

The most "Gard guy" Horizon League 8th and 12th man on the roster, respectively - are the guys you are mad we've lost?
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,789

Post#1971 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:48 pm

My wife was watching a show on Disney plus, where Uncle Jesse from Full House was a disgraced former coach from the Wisconsin Badgers who had won a national title before getting fired in a scandal. He now coaches at a private all girls high school in San Diego.

I would fire Gard, and try to bring Uncle Jesse back.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1972 » by midranger » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:55 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Lol - so were you dying for Walt McGrory and Trevor Anderson to stay
?

The most "Gard guy" Horizon League 8th and 12th man on the roster, respectively - are the guys you are mad we've lost?

Kerb, you literally quoted what I was saying. That several guys transferred. Several did.

I wish one more had. Whole team needed a reset.

But feel free to move goal posts as needed.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1973 » by midranger » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:55 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:My wife was watching a show on Disney plus, where Uncle Jesse from Full House was a disgraced former coach from the Wisconsin Badgers who had won a national title before getting fired in a scandal. He now coaches at a private all girls high school in San Diego.

I would fire Gard, and try to bring Uncle Jesse back.

John Stamos playing Bo Ryan is the biggest upset ever
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1974 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:58 pm

midranger wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Lol - so were you dying for Walt McGrory and Trevor Anderson to stay
?

Kerb, you literally quoted what I was saying. That several guys transferred. Several did.

I wish one more had. Whole team needed a reset.

But feel free to move goal posts as needed.

Fair enough. I get that Davison is limited and has all of his past warts, but I think he's especially needed now. This article won't help the average fan's feel for the program and Davison will help them win this year before I think they will either make their payoff run or Gard's swan song.

But yes, fair enough. I can understand wanting Davison gone.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 15,103

Post#1975 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:08 pm

I think the seniors just needed to be gone and they are save one. Good riddance.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#1976 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Hire John Mosley imo.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,432

Post#1977 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:22 pm

I can't believe this clown still has five more years on his deal.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1978 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I can't believe this clown still has five more years on his deal.

If they want to fire him, they'll do it tomorrow. The contract extensions are formalities for recruiting purposes.

See you on this thread for the Big 10 title celebration in 2023.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#1979 » by TroyD92 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:25 pm

that's certainly not good.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,228

Post#1980 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Sorry guys we're a t the limit. Continue on in the new thread.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks