ImageImage

Bucks sign Augustin - 3 years $21 million

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,167

Re: Bucks sign Augustin - 3 years $21 million 

Post#241 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:43 pm

Matches Malone wrote:The bubble games definitely made him look quicker and more explosive on offense. I'm not sure where we would even look for a backup guard now? Do you realize you messed up and try and move DJ when his deal becomes moveable? Would that hurt in player negotiations to do that to a vet?

We gave the guys 15$m more than he is worth. I think he will be fine.

This is the DJA i expected ...... in year 3. I was wrong about this signing
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,086

Post#242 » by emunney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:49 pm

I don't think he's been bad, why do people think he's been bad? My main complaint is that he's got to have a quicker trigger on open shots. Some of these shorter shots will start falling and he'll look even better. I think we knew coming in that some defensive matchups were going to be problematic for him; we saw him try to defend Bled last year.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#243 » by emunney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:51 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Bad Horst

The Thoroughbred of Spin?
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,813

Post#244 » by Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:00 pm

emunney wrote:I don't think he's been bad, why do people think he's been bad? My main complaint is that he's got to have a quicker trigger on open shots. Some of these shorter shots will start falling and he'll look even better. I think we knew coming in that some defensive matchups were going to be problematic for him; we saw him try to defend Bled last year.

People think he’s been bad because he’s been bad. His shot isn’t falling, he isn’t creating well for others, he pounds the everloving hell out of the ball every possession, he can’t defend anything and he’s guaranteed for three years.

What’s to like?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#245 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:22 pm

Wonka wrote:
emunney wrote:I don't think he's been bad, why do people think he's been bad? My main complaint is that he's got to have a quicker trigger on open shots. Some of these shorter shots will start falling and he'll look even better. I think we knew coming in that some defensive matchups were going to be problematic for him; we saw him try to defend Bled last year.

People think he’s been bad because he’s been bad. His shot isn’t falling, he isn’t creating well for others, he pounds the everloving hell out of the ball every possession, he can’t defend anything and he’s guaranteed for three years.

What’s to like?

3rd year isn't guaranteed

The rest is accurate
Wonka
General Manager

Post#246 » by Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:27 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Wonka wrote:

What’s to like?

3rd year isn't guaranteed

The rest is accurate

I was under the impression he had a player option, that eases the sting a little bit. We were very spoiled with George Hill running our second unit.
emunney
RealGM

Post#247 » by emunney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm

He gets guys the ball in their spots, he gets in the paint and makes the defense rotate. When he relocates, the defense looks for him or they don't and pay a price. His two-man game with Portis is formidable as a bench play. The offense is *most* organized when he's on the floor. This all in spite of the fact that he's played with Thanasis almost as much as he's played with Giannis.

We already knew he wasn't going to be able to defend a lot of guys man up but he's fighting and he's been a lot better than terrible on that end.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#248 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:14 pm

emunney wrote:He gets guys the ball in their spots, he gets in the paint and makes the defense rotate. When he relocates, the defense looks for him or they don't and pay a price. His two-man game with Portis is formidable as a bench play. The offense is *most* organized when he's on the floor. This all in spite of the fact that he's played with Thanasis almost as much as he's played with Giannis.

We already knew he wasn't going to be able to defend a lot of guys man up but he's fighting and he's been a lot better than terrible on that end.

I agree with this. Last night against the Nets was a little weird though. Obviously he missed open shots, everybody could see that. What I found interesting was that he couldn't or didn't make any (maybe he did once?) of his pocket passes to get Bobby/Giannis an open mid-range jumper or floater.

I still think he's trying to figure out the space on the court with the Bucks, a little different than his pick n pop game with Vuc.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Wonka
General Manager

Post#249 » by Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:17 pm

emunney wrote:He gets guys the ball in their spots, he gets in the paint and makes the defense rotate. When he relocates, the defense looks for him or they don't and pay a price. His two-man game with Portis is formidable as a bench play. The offense is *most* organized when he's on the floor. This all in spite of the fact that he's played with Thanasis almost as much as he's played with Giannis.

Respectfully, I don’t think we are watching the same player out there. He gets into the paint but nothing comes of it most of the time? He’s shooting 27 percent from 2 and he’s been taking a ton of midrange jumpers that have been wasted possessions. His defense has definitely been terrible and nothing else, good effort doesn’t equate to good results. Bryn Forbes “tries” on defense too. Both of them are still terrible defenders.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#250 » by Siefer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:20 pm

Not making shots is one thing and I tend not to sweat that stuff over even longish stretches, but I've been pretty unhappy with his decision-making (largely a timeliness issue) on offense the last few games, and I disagree that he's been better than terrible. It's not just him getting beat by bigger and stronger guys, he's getting lost in space quite a bit.

There was a sequence last night where he was just oblivious to DDV fighting under a screen, and ended up running to "double" (I don't think that was the intent) Harden 40ft from the hoop, leaving Harris wide open for a three. Like the screen happened in front of him, and he just had no clue what to do.
Wonka
General Manager

Post#251 » by Wonka » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:23 pm

Yeah, DJ got caught on a bunch of screens last night that allowed Harris to get open.

Man, what I wouldn’t give to have that guy on our team. Absolute flamethrower
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,906

Post#252 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:45 pm

DJA is basically the same as he's always been except for terrible shooting and terrible decisions on his shot attempts, the latter of which could be related to self-doubt due to the former. I'm actually not that worried about him eventually finding a rhythm because he still looks quick enough and 1 month of this should not trump 4 years of providing just enough cheap gimmicky offense to make up for his deficiencies. He has already gotten better about taking open 3's immediately and now he needs to stop trying to drive all the way to the basket where he has no chance instead of taking a wide open 12-15 footer or a floater when he gets past his guy - and again, he has shown the ability to get past defenders regularly, so I think predictions of his total decline may be a little premature.

That said, I've never liked guys who play the way he does. They put up good numbers by dominating the ball but that style of play is self-limiting in terms of upside and they're so bad on defense that it's hardly worth it. They can't adapt to whatever the team needs on any given possession and can't contribute on a team that doesn't need them to do what they're good at. They are built to be the #3 scorer on a perpetual 8th-seed. Any contender will always be looking to replace a guy like him with a glue guy type unless he's an absolutely perfect fit on their bench unit.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,613

Post#253 » by tski1972 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm

I still feel DJA will work out. He’s shooting 37% from three, which is what you want, he just doesn’t seem to be gelling with anyone outside of Portis. Maybe it’s a simple issue of him making it more complicated than he needs to.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#254 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:12 pm

tski1972 wrote:I still feel DJA will work out. He’s shooting 37% from three, which is what you want, he just doesn’t seem to be gelling with anyone outside of Portis. Maybe it’s a simple issue of him making it more complicated than he needs to.

I looked at Hill's regular season stats when we first got him from the Cavs. They were terrible. Hopefully DJA sees a similar uptick when it counts.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,037

Post#255 » by Prez » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 pm

It’s not looking great but he has enough of a track record as a useful player for me to be patient, gonna give him another 10-15 games.

Forbes though..just...nah.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,408

Post#256 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 pm

I don't give a **** about how he looks like now. Like everyone else on the roster, they'll be judged with regards to how they perform in the playoffs.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,232

Post#257 » by FrieAaron » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 pm

Yeah, no doubt he's been mostly bad but it's worth noting that his 2pt% this season so far is .269. His worst season from 2 in his career was .368 and last season he was .438. So I'm hoping (and this seems more likely) this is just him getting comfortable with his role and not completely falling off a cliff as soon as he joins us.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,927

Post#258 » by blazza18 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:31 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't give a **** about how he looks like now. Like everyone else on the roster, they'll be judged with regards to how they perform in the playoffs.

I've got some bad news for you then.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,717

Post#259 » by LuessiT » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:57 pm

I just think there's a misconception on what we needed going from last season to this season. Based on last season after losing Hill we needed someone to run the second unit and Augustin seems to be able to do exactly that. That said, Bud is playing the starters more which means we should have one of Middleton/Holiday/Giannis on the floor at all times and any of these three serves as a much better ball handler at any given time so he rarely has to do for what he was brought in. And on defense he's just single handedly killing lineups. I think some of his offensive woes are fixable (he should shoot way more 3's and when he drives he should kick it out more) but ultimately we've casted the wrong type of player and the sooner we realize it the better.

What we actually need in his stead imo is an Avery Bradley+ type of player. Someone who can guard, preferably multiple positions, shoot the 3 (preferably on the move) and make the right play but doesn't necessarily have to run the offense to contribute.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#260 » by DrWood » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:17 am

Ruzious wrote:
DrWood wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
I'm not saying he can't jump, but "mad hops"?

Obviously, there's more to being athletic than having bounce, but I'll concede that he can jump high. He clearly doesn't use it. I mean, who do you think is more athletic, pre-injury Derrick Rose (6'2"/40-inch vert) or current Donte (6'4"/42-inch vert)?

The truth is, I think he probably has lost some bounce.

and I think you choose to see what you want to see.

Augustin didn't even have good hops last season, and it was predictable that he'd continue to decline - as he has.

What does DJA have to do with DDV?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks