ImageImage

NBA Draft Lottery Thread - 7:05pm CT Tonight! (ESPN)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,079

Re: Re: NBA Draft Lottery Thread - 7:05pm CT Tonight! (ESPN) 

Post#501 » by emunney » Wed May 27, 2015 1:51 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:You guys are talking me into him, but I just don't see his traits as something we need. I think your overrating him and looking at best case scenario a bit. I don't know if he is a fit with the Bucks. There's no way he is a Center if you want to give him leftover minutes to a younger Jabari - I don't know that makes sense. Shouldn't they try and fill some holes?

I'm not sure why he has caught fire on this board suddenly?

I don't see where he's caught fire. I don't want to draft him. He's too far behind skill wise. I do admire the way he plays.

Imo he's a C who doesn't offer much offensively or defending the rim. Plays his ass off, excellent defensive foundation, very explosive athletically. Plays recklessly and I think he's going to wear his body out at a young age.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,991

Re: NBA Draft Lottery Thread - 7:05pm CT Tonight! (ESPN) 

Post#502 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 27, 2015 2:23 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#503 » by SpursNBucks » Wed May 27, 2015 2:33 pm

emunney wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:You guys are talking me into him, but I just don't see his traits as something we need. I think your overrating him and looking at best case scenario a bit. I don't know if he is a fit with the Bucks. There's no way he is a Center if you want to give him leftover minutes to a younger Jabari - I don't know that makes sense. Shouldn't they try and fill some holes?

I don't see where he's caught fire. I don't want to draft him. He's too far behind skill wise. I do admire the way he plays.

Imo he's a C who doesn't offer much offensively or defending the rim. Plays his ass off, excellent defensive foundation, very explosive athletically. Plays recklessly and I think he's going to wear his body out at a young age.

Center? How many 6'7" Centers (without shoes) in the NBA? The only one that comes to mind is Ben Wallace. I think tall Centers would abuse him.

All you have to do is go back a little and follow the board - I mentioned I was not a big fan of him and got jumped on pretty fast, by multiple posters. Some people trying to make case he is a better version of Faried. That he could be a rebounding machine and one person compared him to Ben Wallace (just look back).

I hadn't been on the forum much lately- came back yesterday and noticed he had become the new hot name on the board.

I personally think there will be better options and better fits.
emunney
RealGM

Post#504 » by emunney » Wed May 27, 2015 3:03 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
emunney wrote:

Center? How many 6'7" Centers (without shoes) in the NBA? The only one that comes to mind is Ben Wallace. I think tall Centers would abuse him.

All you have to do is go back a little and follow the board - I mentioned I was not a big fan of him and got jumped on pretty fast, by multiple posters. Some people trying to make case he is a better version of Faried. That he could be a rebounding machine and one person compared him to Ben Wallace (just look back).

I hadn't been on the forum much lately- came back yesterday and noticed he had become the new hot name on the board.

There are a few people who seem to really like him. There are at least a equal number of people who are adamantly opposed to him. He just hadn't been discussed as much as many of the other guys projected in our range. He's getting a sharper focus now.

Yes, he's a C. I don't see anybody abusing him. Leverage. He won't be moved by these taller players. He has enough length that he's not that easy to shoot over, though some guys (Gasol and Lopez come to mind) will.

I don't know how many guys succeeded at C at 6-7 barefooted. Not many, probably. Can you tell me how many guys with a standing reach over 9' at 250+ lbs failed because they were too small?

Obviously I agree that there will be better options and fits, which is why I said I don't want to draft him.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,991

Post#505 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

emunney wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:
emunney wrote:

There are a few people who seem to really like him. There are at least a equal number of people who are adamantly opposed to him. He just hadn't been discussed as much as many of the other guys projected in our range. He's getting a sharper focus now.

Yes, he's a C. I don't see anybody abusing him. Leverage. He won't be moved by these taller players. He has enough length that he's not that easy to shoot over, though some guys (Gasol and Lopez come to mind) will.

I don't know how many guys succeeded at C at 6-7 barefooted. Not many, probably. Can you tell me how many guys with a standing reach over 9' at 250+ lbs failed because they were too small?

Obviously I agree that there will be better options and fits, which is why I said I don't want to draft him.

yep
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6mYg-SFxgo[/youtube]
Harrell starts on Trey Lyles. Lyles runs across the baseline, and Harrell calls out a switch and moves onto Andrew Harrison. Harrell gives Harrison space, but stays low in his defensive stance and moves his feet to force Harrison to decide to wait for a screen. The Cardinals switch the screen, and Harrell is left to defend 7-footer Dakari Johnson on the block. He uses his lower body and torso strength to force Johnson away from the hoop on the catch, then doesn't give an inch of post penetration, ultimately forcing the turnover on the spin.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,653

Post#506 » by Bernman » Wed May 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Yeah, Harrell was barely talked about on this forum prior to the last few days. That's one reason I personally wanted to engage with people. Also, due to the news that we were after an athletic 4/5 for one, and since people were making criticisms of him that were factually incorrect that warranted a response.

That doesn't mean I'm advocating taking Harrell with our pick over several other alternatives. I just would be fine with that pick. He'd be about 6th on my board among realistically possible picks. That seems low, but as I've said before I really like this draft in the range we're in. I think it's the strongest area, value-wise, and have advocated accumulating a few picks in this range as a result. And Harrell still might not be among my most ideal picks in any one of those spots.

Saying he was compared to Ben Wallace is an exaggeration, I think, if you're referring to me. I've said a little bit of a poor man's version, and pointed out some areas where he's actually better than Wallace like jumper/ft shooting, and maybe the disparity isn't as big as it seems considering they played much different comp and positions in college. But it's just hard to fully bank on quite the overall defense and rebounding which Wallace provided. I still think that constitutes an effective enough starting 5/4 in the pros.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,250

Post#507 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Harrell wouldn't be a terrible pick at all, don't get all the hate being thrown his way. The people getting too caught up in him lacking 1-1.5 inches on his height need to watch how he defended NBA caliber 5's at Lousville. His monster wingspan (7'4), standing reach (9'1) and build (240+) allow him to defend Centers just fine.

Against a guy like Marc Gasol's or Roy Hibbert? Sure, he'll struggle. But he also has the skills and athleticism to guard stretch-4's on the perimeter. You can switch him on defense because of his versatility. Despite his lack of perimeter skills on offense, I also think he can develop a solid mid-range J. His mechanics are actually pretty solid.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#508 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Been on the Harrell train. He'd be a nice pick.
Sherman Douglas
Veteran
And1: 1,467

Post#509 » by Sherman Douglas » Thu May 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Harrell wouldn't be a terrible pick at all, don't get all the hate being thrown his way.

Most likely comes from the fact that the last time a Wisconsin team picked a Harrell in the middle of the first round it did not go very well.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#510 » by Nowak008 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:06 pm

We should draft Upshaw at #17. He is 7 feet tall with a 9.5in standing reach. Sometimes the draft isn't that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TheWig
Sixth Man
And1: 593

Post#511 » by TheWig » Thu May 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Nowak008 wrote:We should draft Upshaw at #17. He is 7 feet tall with a 9.5in standing reach. Sometimes the draft isn't that hard.

I'm on board with this

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,151

Post#512 » by BMatt07 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:43 pm

TheWig wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:We should draft Upshaw at #17. He is 7 feet tall with a 9.5in standing reach. Sometimes the draft isn't that hard.

I'm on board with this

Yes, another center with drug problems.

We've never had one of those in Milwauke.... lol. :crazy:
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#513 » by Nowak008 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 pm

BMatt07 wrote:

Have him hang out with Jabari for a couple months and problem solved. Between Jabales and Kidd I'm very comfortable taking a chance on him.

BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,151

Post#514 » by BMatt07 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
BMatt07 wrote:

Have him hang out with Jabari for a couple months and problem solved. Between Jabales and Kidd I'm very comfortable taking a chance on him.

Don't get me wrong, I like the potential there. I just don't know if I'm comfortable rolling the dice on him at 17, especially when some reports are that he will be on the board still in the second round.
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#515 » by Nowak008 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Arbitrary stats for Upsahw - since 2010 the list of players drafted with at least 9'5"standing reach -

Gobert
Cousins

Players drafted since 2010 9'3.5" standing reach or more
Vucevic
Sanders
Henson
Aldrich
Deing

Pretty solid group I'd say.

emunney
RealGM

Post#516 » by emunney » Thu May 28, 2015 9:54 pm

You're missing some guys:

Jerome Jordan
Solomon Alabi
Whiteside
Turkyilmaz
Klimenko
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#517 » by mke_design » Thu May 28, 2015 9:56 pm

BMatt07 wrote:
TheWig wrote:

I'm on board with this

I understand the concern, but people actually DO get better from drug addiction and turn their lives around. We aren't picking number 1 in the draft, 17 is hardly throwing the boat at 1 player and hoping he saves you. It's a calculated risk with so much money involved and the lifestyle that involves being an NBA player and what's to come getting a big pay day. But, there's hope and if he's smart, he can do what many addicts (many of whom you probably dont even know are in the NBA, or in the world at large) do, and that's go on to successful and fulfilling lives.
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#518 » by Nowak008 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:42 pm

emunney wrote:You're missing some guys:

Jerome Jordan
Solomon Alabi
Whiteside
Turkyilmaz
Klimenko

Hmm... Yea It appears I just looked at guys drafted in the first round. Quit poking holes in my arbitrary stats!

breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#519 » by breakchains » Fri May 29, 2015 3:08 am

buckboy wrote:
breakchains wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Jesus Christ, man. Pump the brakes.

Now they're going to be so good the NBA is going to change the rules?

:rofl:

Glad you find something that has already actually almost happened so funny.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/31/5 ... rm-tanking

It was expected to go through, but didn't have the super majority required because a few teams got cold feet at the end because of the unintended consequences that it may cause. It has been expected that it would be revisited. If Philly suddenly becomes good after the past two years of tanking, which is a real possibility, it will provide a real-life example to more conservative owners who previously wouldn't have given their GM's the carte blanche to execute it like Hinkie has had.

There is nothing controversial at all about what I said.

I'm aware of lottery reform, but linking it directly to the 76ers is funny to me. You wildly overrate what they have (not) accomplished.

From Zach Lowe (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/behin ... t-lottery/):

As I reported from the summer league in July, the league introduced an odds-reform proposal that would have made Cleveland-style leaps more likely by cutting the chances for the worst teams. The proposal was an anti-tanking measure clearly aimed at the Sixers, and it didn’t get the required supermajority in an October vote.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#520 » by Wise1 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:22 am

The Bucks need toughness and physicality as much as shooting. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Harrell or even Justin Anderson were the pick. I want Booker first and foremost but he's not likely to be there at 17. If Kaminsky falls, I would think we'd have to take him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks