Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Bucks deny Pistons to talk to Horst

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,841

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas 

Post#521 » by paulpressey25 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:48 pm

Yb90’s idea above of Middleton for Giddey is interesting. Given that Giddey will need a rookie extension next fall, you’d have to be sure you’d want to pay him. But he’s only 21 years old.

Understand he doesn’t have much of a three ball. That’s a problem. But he’s so fundamentally sound.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#522 » by BUCKnation » Sat May 4, 2024 2:52 pm

Yeah, Brook is an expiring, useful player on a big number. That should have pretty good value.

For the Thunder, they have been lucky to avoid teams with a paint/big man threat.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 15,254

Post#523 » by JayMKE » Sat May 4, 2024 3:14 pm

IDK what we can really expect to get back but somebody would be interested in Khris or Brook. Dame could replenish the cupboards but looks like they want a mostly vet team again next season, they're pretty much not going to be to be able to add anybody besides vet min signings afaik. They really need to hit on multiple guys off the scrapheap being championship contributors at this point
FREE GIANNIS
emunney
RealGM
And1: 38,035

Post#524 » by emunney » Sat May 4, 2024 4:28 pm

Michael Pina on mute
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,295

Post#525 » by RRyder823 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:46 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
yb90 wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
here we agree. if the thunder want to go big they have the assets to go get anybody. they arent going to be interested in lopez unless it was somehow a short term last resort

I disagree, they have the players around Lopez to make it work and he gives them something they don't have on Offense and defense. Give Lopez teammates that actually defend. I even think with better coaching, he will go back to rolling more and playing in the post more. Also, Lopez as a Bench big with less minutes will probably prolong his career.

Doc gave him the green light to post more in the playoffs, but he would do it. If the opposition has a perimeter center, he's trash. No way the Thunder blow $23 million in cap space on this mediocre player, unless we attach draft assets. They have all the leverage.
Thinking you need to attach a draft pick to a player in order to trade him to a team where he solves pretty glaring needs for them is certainly a take

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
ShootingtheJ
General Manager
And1: 5,179

Post#526 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 4:47 pm

yb90 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
yb90 wrote:
I disagree, they have the players around Lopez to make it work and he gives them something they don't have on Offense and defense. Give Lopez teammates that actually defend. I even think with better coaching, he will go back to rolling more and playing in the post more. Also, Lopez as a Bench big with less minutes will probably prolong his career.

Doc gave him the green light to post more in the playoffs, but he would do it. If the opposition has a perimeter center, he's trash. No way the Thunder blow $23 million in cap space on this mediocre player, unless we attach draft assets. They have all the leverage.

I don't believe Doc. Doc was still trying to post up Portis. It's hard to have 3 players that need Post touches on the floor at once. Lopez was the odd man out with Khris and Bobby. Who plays in the post on OKC? Lopez as a second unit guy is different than a starter. Also, OKC just traded for the shell of Gordon Hayward because of his experience. Lopez is a player that can actually still play.

Lopez played a ton of minutes without Portis.

OKC doesn't want to clog the lane with a post guy, their offense is efficient because they have tons of drivers. Lopez wasn't an efficient post player this year anyway, outside of the Pacers series. Few bigs are as weak at post defense as Turner.

OKC traded for Hayward as a means to clear the remaining guaranteed money owed Bertans and Micic.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,780

Post#527 » by raferfenix » Sat May 4, 2024 5:28 pm

The benefit to Giannis and Dame being out is it gave Khris and Bobby room to showcase what they can do.

I also don’t buy Bobby being viewed as just empty calories regular season fodder. Stretch bigs who can score and rebound have a market even aside from how fans will love him.

Bobby looked like he could average something like 18 and 8 on a team without Giannis. That and he’s got a lot of playoff experience plus the chip even if he’s not so elite where matchups can be a problem.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,406

Post#528 » by LUKE23 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:35 pm

I'm guessing we keep all of the Big 3, and it's probably the right move. I get the health concerns, but how much lower are you willing to move our ceiling to trade KM just to have less injury risk? That's the primary question you need to ask yourself.

I probably move whoever has more value between Brook and Bobby. I'm fine adding Portland 2nd if it adds enough value to the trade but would keep our first-round pick.

We need to upgrade and get younger/more athletic at Beasley's starting spot and the PC/Jae bench spots. I really don't feel like upgrading the bench will be that hard either through trades, draft, or player development. Finding a legit good fit starting SG next to Dame will be more challenging. Bring back Pat Bev cheap too.

I do think both AJJ and Green will be legit rotation players next year, and outside shot AJJ develops enough to be a starter. Big offseason for those two.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#529 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 5:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Yb90’s idea above of Middleton for Giddey is interesting. Given that Giddey will need a rookie extension next fall, you’d have to be sure you’d want to pay him. But he’s only 21 years old.

Understand he doesn’t have much of a three ball. That’s a problem. But he’s so fundamentally sound.

To me it's the new Middleton for Barnes. Giddey has been really slow to develop, and eliminates us as a contender next year. Why would we do this? How many 1sts is OKC throwing in?
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,571

Post#530 » by Milbucks96 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:56 pm

How does swapping Giddey and Khris solve anything? What is he even good at?
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,780

Post#531 » by raferfenix » Sat May 4, 2024 6:02 pm

Norm Nixon for Byron Scott seems that much more relevant now that Middleton is on an easily tradable contract and just proved he’s still got it.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#532 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 6:42 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
yb90 wrote:

Thinking you need to attach a draft pick to a player in order to trade him to a team where he solves pretty glaring needs for them is certainly a take

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

What need does he fill? Their need is rebounding, and he sure as hell doesn't help that
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#533 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 6:45 pm

raferfenix wrote:The benefit to Giannis and Dame being out is it gave Khris and Bobby room to showcase what they can do.

I also don’t buy Bobby being viewed as just empty calories regular season fodder. Stretch bigs who can score and rebound have a market even aside from how fans will love him.

Bobby looked like he could average something like 18 and 8 on a team without Giannis. That and he’s got a lot of playoff experience plus the chip even if he’s not so elite where matchups can be a problem.

Agree. Bobby just finished the playoffs our best plus/minus guy. Tough to do considering he started some games with Beasley, the worst plus/minus guy.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#534 » by Matches Malone » Sat May 4, 2024 6:46 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I do think both AJJ and Green will be legit rotation players next year, and outside shot AJJ develops enough to be a starter. Big offseason for those two.

Doc mentioned how he and his staff need to do a better job of developing players. That gives me hope that maybe we can unearth something in one of them to be a meaningful rotation player. Also mentioned Marjon is probably the most skilled of them all but was dealing with injuries and missed a lot of practices, which was something I didn't know he was dealing with.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#535 » by Matches Malone » Sat May 4, 2024 6:48 pm

Milbucks96 wrote:How does swapping Giddey and Khris solve anything? What is he even good at?

Dating minors.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,276

Post#536 » by Sigra » Sat May 4, 2024 6:52 pm

Its really simple for me.

Eather Middleton or Dame must go. Both are now bad defenders but Middleton miss much more games. Trading Middleton would be priority #1. If anybody want him.

We need defenders at SG and SF. 3 and D guys.
Dame
3&D SG
3&D SF
Giannis
Lopez

that is like minimum adjustments for next season. But as I said before I am not against trading Dame and Lopez too.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#537 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 6:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I do think both AJJ and Green will be legit rotation players next year, and outside shot AJJ develops enough to be a starter. Big offseason for those two.

Doc mentioned how he and his staff need to do a better job of developing players. That gives me hope that maybe we can unearth something in one of them to be a meaningful rotation player. Also mentioned Marjon is probably the most skilled of them all but was dealing with injuries and missed a lot of practices, which was something I didn't know he was dealing with.

It will be key that the GM avoids veteran options on the wing to force these 3 in to the lineup.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Post#538 » by Bernman » Sat May 4, 2024 6:55 pm

Bobby was good here the 1st couple of years. There's been diminishing returns, though. His playoff performance has descended from the Championship season especially. His rebounding fell off a cliff, in the regular season at least this year. After he came back from injury last year he started to get beat on so many more rebounds he was challenged on. And his defense has declined. He's never been able to protect the rim, but he could opponents on the perimeter. Now even that's regressed.

I figure if/when he's traded by the Bucks, early on he'll play with a chip on his shoulder, and be effective, especially in his match-ups against Milwaukee, like he did here vs. New York at the beginning (which is why I'd want him moved out west). But then they'll get diminishing returns as the motivation wanes & the pressure ramps up. So we can't look back on the prospective trade with regret, other than the emotional aspect.

I'm disappointed that we couldn't make it keep working beyond 4 years because I was one his bigger backers. But that time span is still a solid run in the NBA for sub-elite players & draftees. It should be considered a successful relationship for both parties.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#539 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 6:57 pm

Sigra wrote:Its really simple for me.

Eather Middleton or Dame must go. Both are now bad defenders but Middleton miss much more games. Trading Middleton would be priority #1. If anybody want him.

We need defenders at SG and SF. 3 and D guys.
Dame
3&D SG
3&D SF
Giannis
Lopez

that is like minimum adjustments for next season. But as I said before I am not against trading Dame and Lopez too.

Nothing hurts the offense in the playoffs more than 1 dimensional players. The focus should be on adding another actually good player, versus a bunch of 3 & D scrubs.
ShootingtheJ
General Manager

Post#540 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat May 4, 2024 7:02 pm

Bernman wrote:Bobby was good here the 1st couple of years. There's been diminishing returns, though. His playoff performance has descended from the Championship season especially. His rebounding fell off a cliff, in the regular season at least this year.

Bobby just finished a playoff series where he average 19 ppg and 13 rpg in his 5 five full games, with a team best plus/minus.

He played like crap under Griffin, but was awesome under Doc. Teams will be calling to make him a starting PF, and the offers will be better than Dallas offering a 1st plus Grant Williams.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks