ImageImage

McGlocklin Cutting Back/Moncrief Added

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Re: McGlocklin Cutting Back/Moncrief Added 

Post#61 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Curious if they bring back Moncrief next season. Overall I felt it was mostly a negative reaction to him.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,133

Post#62 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Yup, great player, not a great announcer. I wish they could just **** the whole bunch, Sid, Paschke, Telly, start over with all new guys. The house cleaning should extend to the TV crew.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#63 » by Captain Erv » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm

I would think this would be McGlocklin's last season and I'd give my left nut to have Paschke canned ASAP.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#64 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Besides Paschke I believe they are all FSN employees though, right?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#65 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 pm

True
Todd_Day
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#66 » by Todd_Day » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:54 pm

I honestly think Jim/Jon are pretty fun. Listen to League Pass, there aren't many great, standout Broadcast teams. It's all pretty bland. Jim and Jon have fun and quirk, and they try and make watching an awful team fun at least.

Ralph Lawler from the Clippers is just tremendous. He's a great one, especially when teamed with Bill Walton in the 90's. Show me the 20-25 other teams that are better, funnier, tenured, than Jim/Jon. We seem to bag on them from inside a bubble, but I never see a list of "Oh, Sacramento's guys are great, or OKC's team is amazing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu ... oadcasters
`
Sean Grande in Boston is a great podcast guest, but not in loop enough on him as announcer enough to comment.

I'm a pro Jim/Jon guy. Even when it's hokey, it's a bit tongue in cheek and fun. "Land of the Giants!!" "Pop up Zone" all that stuff from Jonny Mac is at least a throwback and great fun vs. some 2008 broadcast school, homogenized robot.
The Milwaukee Bucks. Still the only major Milwaukee team to get closest to a title since the mid 1980's.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#67 » by BobbyLight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm with Todd_Day and never really understood the hate Jim and Jon got. Are they company men? Yeah, mostly... but this is a case of the grass not being any greener anywhere else. Most team's local announcers are horrible, not just bad, horrible. Jim and John are by no means perfect, but listening to them do games is way more pleasant to the ears than probably what 25 other teams have to deal with.

If anyone dislikes John after suffering through half a season of Sid you are a crazy person. If you want a good example of how bad other fan bases have it, just remember those 40 some games (or whatever) we had to listen to Sid.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 725

Post#68 » by averageposter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:08 pm

I have always been a fan of McGlocklin, I think he's been pretty great on air and in person at Bucks functions. I don't have any real problem with Jim's commentary as it pertains to describing the game.

I do think Jim has gone pretty far off the reservation spinning a trade, the state of the team, his views on team building, etc. Basically he's been pretty locked on the party line when it comes to some obvious team blunders. It wouldn't be hard to soften that stance and/or avoid editorializing those areas. I also think the advanced metrics, the salary cap concerns and all the real below the surface justification for moves is pretty much uncovered most of the time, and in that way the broadcast could be modernized.

Its easy to explain away, say not commenting on the Jackson fiasco in a meaningful way, because it isn't their job. But, then neither is spinning a Tobias trade or a Gooden signing. I get that all negativity has been surgically eliminated as part of the job, but do you have to blow the sunshine in there in its place. I think not.
Todd_Day
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#69 » by Todd_Day » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Stacey King is kind of nuts. Give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGk2PeF7fM

But not a nuts/bolt technical guy. But listen to that whole thing, and people fawn over Stacey King in some circles.
It's not that great. It's colorful, buy kind of hacky too. Some of it is pretty lazy.

You can poke holes in any announce team, or individual.
The Milwaukee Bucks. Still the only major Milwaukee team to get closest to a title since the mid 1980's.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#70 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Yeah I know all announcers are homers to some extent. But Paschke is insufferable. Jon played the game and can be corny but I like him. But since he's easing his way out now would be a good time to replace Paschke. Could we end up with someone worse? Sure. I'd take that gamble. Give him a Steinmiller like community job for a year and a severance check.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#71 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I love Jonny Mac. I'll be legit sad/pissed if he leaves. He's the Bucks version of Bob Uecker.

I don't have the problem with Jim that most have. If you had to push this product, put a spin and a smile on it, I think you'd understand how difficult that is. Jim should get another year to see what the other side is like.
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#72 » by BobbyLight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah I know all announcers are homers to some extent. But Paschke is insufferable. Jon played the game and can be corny but I like him. But since he's easing his way out now would be a good time to replace Paschke. Could we end up with someone worse? Sure. I'd take that gamble. Give him a Steinmiller like community job for a year and a severance check.

It's all relative. When I had league pass I watched the Celtics a lot. I stalked Ray Allen.

Jim seems like most partisan of announcers after you spend any amount of time with Tommy Henisohn.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIG_79c46Dg[/youtube]
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#73 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Agree with that. Maybe it's because Paschke has been here so long. I just get sick of hearing him spin and spin and spin.
ahoernke21
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#74 » by ahoernke21 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Love Mcglocklin, will be a sad day when he's gone. Paschke and especially Sid need to go. Got to be a better color guy we could bring in.
Zeezprah
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#75 » by Zeezprah » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:19 pm

yea i'm with everyone who says they weren't bad. in fact, jonny mac was probably one of the better ones out there period. there's some terribad, ultra homer commentating teams out there. don't think we realize how good we had it.

i'm not a huge paschke guy either, but he was bearable.

i just want a team that has a little fun (not dry) and isn't extremely obnoxious like mateen cleaves.

so while i think they should be replaced (jon should just enjoy retirement, work with his fund, and take vacations), gonna be tough to "upgrade", IMO.
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#76 » by BobbyLight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm

I can actually understand wanting change for the sake of change because you are tired of hearing the same people for... 30 years or whatever it is now. I just worry about the next guy because I've heard way more awful announcers than great ones. Jim isn't great, but entirely listenable to me.

John, I love. When a man will break a headset at the end of the 4th quarter because the Bucks totally screwed up on a defensive play... a break that had to be cleaned off the court, it's hard not to love that guy.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,529

Post#77 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Sid had some hilarious comments last year.

It will be interesting to see what he has to say about a team that is not completely pathetic.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,987

Post#78 » by emunney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 pm

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: You go get Mike Kelley!!! You all have jellyfish minds!

:banghead: :banghead: :noway: :thumbsup: :usa:
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#79 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 pm

I'd hire Coshun as play by play.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#80 » by Max Green » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I prefer Mateen Cleaves over Sid at this point.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus

Return to Milwaukee Bucks