humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,340

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#61 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:25 am

crkone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:My wife wanted a wider white gold band, lined with medium size stones instead of a thin band with a larger center stone. Probably saved me 2-3 thousand.

Did you guys pay straight cash for these rings or do you finance them?
Financed but paid it off pretty quickly.

Nice. I'm not in the market imminently, but it's in the back of my mind. The thing about the weddings in my community is that you're expected to invite hundreds of people. A relative of mine recently got married and dropped 25K on the wedding including the ring but excluding the honeymoon. My stomach dropped when he told me how much it was. And his wedding was considered "small" in that he only invited ~200 people.

I'm sure he got a big chunk of that back in wedding gifts (usually folks give cash), but oof.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,366

Post#62 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:40 am

humanrefutation wrote:
crkone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Did you guys pay straight cash for these rings or do you finance them?
Financed but paid it off pretty quickly.

Nice. I'm not in the market imminently, but it's in the back of my mind. The thing about the weddings in my community is that you're expected to invite hundreds of people. A relative of mine recently got married and dropped 25K on the wedding including the ring but excluding the honeymoon. My stomach dropped when he told me how much it was. And his wedding was considered "small" in that he only invited ~200 people.

I'm sure he got a big chunk of that back in wedding gifts (usually folks give cash), but oof.

I wanted to elope, lol.

But ultimately, I paid for the ring and that was it. My wife had some money saved from selling a condo a few years prior, her parents pitched in, my parents kicked in a little, and she got the special day she wanted. I really didn't care about any aspect of it and deferred to her on every decision.

I'd guess we got somewhere between 1/3-1/2 back in cash and gift value.

Would rather have a memodeled kitchen and bath right now. :blank:
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,415

Post#63 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 am

This **** is **** depressing, but at least my girl doesn't want a traditional engagement ring. She has Native American heritage, so I'm looking at rings in that vein, which is way more affordable.

Having a wedding in Cali is going to be **** ridiculously expensive though. Hoping that it being a "destination" wedding for Wisconsin folks naturally makes it smaller.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,366

Post#64 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 am

stellation wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:Mayo on a burger is necessary when available, and works well with ketchup/other toppings. The lone exception to that is when getting a burger with a fried egg on it. (The latter might actually be my favorite combo)

Fried egg on a burger is my jam.

Throw some pickled beetroot on there and you're an honorary Australian.

Anything with beet is a no-go for me. Yuck.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,995

Post#65 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 am

What a choke job from Serena. Holy ****.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#66 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 am

Mags FTW wrote:Would rather have a memodeled kitchen and bath right now. :blank:

I know this was a simple typo (...I think?), but I'm picturing a kitchen and bathroom remodeled around memes, now.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,065

Post#67 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:What a choke job from Serena. Holy ****.

Turned it on when she was down in the 2nd set, watched all the way until 5-1 in the 3rd when I had to go. Couldn't believe my phone when I checked the score, she was dominant the entire period I watched.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#68 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:19 am

It looks like she got hurt right before she collapsed down the stretch.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,352

Post#69 » by crkone » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm

RiotPunch wrote:This **** is **** depressing, but at least my girl doesn't want a traditional engagement ring. She has Native American heritage, so I'm looking at rings in that vein, which is way more affordable.

Having a wedding in Cali is going to be **** ridiculously expensive though. Hoping that it being a "destination" wedding for Wisconsin folks naturally makes it smaller.

We did a destination wedding since my wife is from Carson City and got married in Cali on Lake Tahoe. We drove out there with my step brothers family in a Sequoia with a large trailer. It was a long drive but it was a pretty good trip. We had to save a bunch but her parents helped out quite a bit (only child).

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,383

Post#70 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:15 pm

crkone wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:This **** is **** depressing, but at least my girl doesn't want a traditional engagement ring. She has Native American heritage, so I'm looking at rings in that vein, which is way more affordable.

We did a destination wedding since my wife is from Carson City and got married in Cali on Lake Tahoe. We drove out there with my step brothers family in a Sequoia with a large trailer. It was a long drive but it was a pretty good trip. We had to save a bunch but her parents helped out quite a bit (only child).

I'm eloping in Chicago with just my brother and sister and parents there. Sister officiating. She's only having her siblings there. Very glad to not be doing a big ceremony. That said, my mom is insisting on throwing a big party or reception when we get back. I said I don't care but I'm not gonna fit that bill; if my extended family wants to throw us a party, more power to them.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,516

Post#71 » by KidA24 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
crkone wrote:

I'm eloping in Chicago with just my brother and sister and parents there. Sister officiating. She's only having her siblings there. Very glad to not be doing a big ceremony. That said, my mom is insisting on throwing a big party or reception when we get back. I said I don't care but I'm not gonna fit that bill; if my extended family wants to throw us a party, more power to them.

MD isn't officiating?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#72 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Nadal's first major back - and second tournament overall back - from ankle surgery and he's cruised into the final without dropping a set. I imagine Djokovic will handle Pouille easily tonight to setup the anticipated showdown.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,995

Post#73 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Rafa will never have a better opportunity to win the Australian Open than this. He's had a dream draw and has destroyed everyone accordingly, and now gets two days off ahead of the final.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#74 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Rafa will never have a better opportunity to win the Australian Open than this. He's had a dream draw and has destroyed everyone accordingly, and now gets two days off ahead of the final.

Don’t disagree with the assertion as Rafa isn’t getting any younger, but I think the younger generation is looking particularly legit. Way better early returns than last gen with Raonic and Dimitrov. No one has broken through yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened this year, and I wasn’t going to be surprised if it happened this tourney with Tsitsipas, personally. I don’t think Zverev will be the top dog amongst them for long - he really lacks “it”.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,037

Post#75 » by Prez » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:16 pm

The new next gen is noticeably better than the previous one, but it's still kinda disappointing that there hasn't been a single transcendent talent break out yet, someone who is right there consistently in slam contention and can really scare Djokodal in a BO5. I get that they're all age 19-22 but it's not like we don't see all timers break out at that age.

I think Tsitsipas will be really freaking good but man that was just such a disappointing performance, even when I was rooting for Rafa.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#76 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Definitely no Roger, Rafa, or Novak in this group, but we also might not see that for quite a while. The past decade has been mens tennis's golden age. Hard to dethrone any of those three at a young age unless you look like the next "one of the GOATs".

But yeah, it is disappointing that it doesn't appear that there is someone of that caliber. I just want someone(s) emerged before Roger and Rafa retire so that Djokovic doesn't win like 16 slams in a row.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,065

Post#77 » by BUCKnation » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:20 am

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a men's version of Osaka.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:43 am

BUCKnation wrote:Yeah, it'd be nice to have a men's version of Osaka.

MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#79 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:04 am

humanrefutation wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Yeah, it'd be nice to have a men's version of Osaka.

I LOVE Tiafoe. I want him so badly to be the one to bust through.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#80 » by jmart762 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:55 pm

PSA: this cold is bull. Not looking forward to this week ahead.

My father got his knee replaced on Monday, so I'm on my own at the farm for the next 2 months. I've already fixed/ thawed 3 waterers and have 2 more that need tinkering. Wish me luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Milwaukee Bucks