ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,580

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Russilo/Horst pod pg.32 

Post#641 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Russilo/Horst pod pg.32 

Post#642 » by Shaffty » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

this was awful
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,954

Post#643 » by blazza18 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:39 am

Shaffty wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

this was awful

It was fine until he stopped talking basketball and mentioned Lasry again.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,279

Post#644 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:30 pm

I'm not going to listen, but if Lasry was mentioned then I'm guessing they just talk about Giannis leaving and that Windhorst "report".

Edit: Are there any good basketball pods anymore? Simmons and Lowe used to be good but I can't stand either anymore. Too much sensationalism now.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,462

Post#645 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:42 pm

blazza18 wrote:
Shaffty wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

this was awful

It was fine until he stopped talking basketball and mentioned Lasry again.

I thought it was all pretty fair. :dontknow: They are all so misinformed on the Lasry stuff, though.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,422

Post#646 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:43 pm

Sounds like Lowe just took Simmons' conspiracy theory tidbit about ownership and is running with it. Probably a good reminder that none of these guys are real "journalists" as much as they are podcast entertainers and tabloid reporters playing one gigantic game of telephone with each other. I guess I'd expect Lowe to at least hold off on that specific kind of completely speculative junk, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#647 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I'm not going to listen, but if Lasry was mentioned then I'm guessing they just talk about Giannis leaving and that Windhorst "report".

Edit: Are there any good basketball pods anymore? Simmons and Lowe used to be good but I can't stand either anymore. Too much sensationalism now.

I thought it was a weird conclusion to say Lasry left because Giannis is leaving. I seemed pretty clear he left because he already got the gain in valuation from TV contracts and getting out before paying the tax.

I really wonder how much Giannis adds to the valuation. With all the distribution and equity sharing, how much does winning bring in? I almost think the owners lose money by keeping Giannis and a Top 5 salary versus if he were to leave.

Like if the Bucks win a championship, do the owners get $50m more in CASH, $100m, $200m, $300m..... Like we pretty much know that keeping this roster versus blowing it up is costing the owners probably $100m+ ($40m difference between floor and payroll, $40m+ tax, plus $20m(?) distribution of tax money). I don't know how winning makes up that delta.

I just don't know much the revenue needle move by winning. $100m is a lot of money to pass up for doing nothing. For perspective, I can't imagine the total revenue from ticket sales in regular season is greater than $75m. Even $5k a seat average, which seems high consider i pay $3k for 7th row corner, is only like $80m MAX..not additional sold from winning. I can't imagine you can sell enough tickets, beers or sweaters (Everyone already bought all their gear 2 years ago) to raise hundreds of millions of profit (not revenue) by winning. IDK would love to see the break down.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,580

Post#648 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:58 pm

Guys it was a fine and perfectly rational discussion.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,210

Post#649 » by emunney » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:54 pm

If Lasry sold because Giannis is leaving, why did Edens stay?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 222

Post#650 » by rayallenscalves » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:58 pm

I listened to the most recent Lowe Post pod this morning when he and Pelton talked about the Bucks. They talked about how the team is mostly running it back and that's potentially worrisome given recent flameouts. Of course, there was not a single mention of Bud. I don't know how they can talk about "running it back" and "flameouts" and not mention the fact that primary reason for those flameouts is no longer coaching the team. A pretty big miss.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,688

Post#651 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:07 pm

Feel like the more national media talks about your favorite team the more you realize their takes usually lack nuance and are just hot takey trash. That will make you realize their takes on all teams kind of suck so what's the point of listening.

I took a break from sports pods a couple years back after being a heavy listener and didn't miss it at all. Listened to more music and audio books and it's been delightful. Now I'll throw a sports pod if Im interested in a guest or something but I'm down probably 90%.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MVP2110
Head Coach
And1: 3,158

Post#652 » by MVP2110 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Feel like the more national media talks about your favorite team the more you realize their takes usually lack nuance and are just hot takey trash. That will make you realize their takes on all teams kind of suck so what's the point of listening.

I took a break from sports pods a couple years back after being a heavy listener and didn't miss it at all. Listened to more music and audio books and it's been delightful. Now I'll throw a sports pod if Im interested in a guest or something but I'm down probably 90%.

I do think part of it is national guys are basically covering 30 teams so they aren't as dedicated to following the nuances of your specific team. National guys aren't going to get excited by random 2nd round picks & vet min signings the Bucks made like fans will. To them it's just a random 2nd round guy and/or min vet guy neither of which is likely to make a big impact
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,688

Post#653 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:09 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Feel like the more national media talks about your favorite team the more you realize their takes usually lack nuance and are just hot takey trash. That will make you realize their takes on all teams kind of suck so what's the point of listening.

I do think part of it is national guys are basically covering 30 teams so they aren't as dedicated to following the nuances of your specific team. National guys aren't going to get excited by random 2nd round picks & vet min signings the Bucks made like fans will. To them it's just a random 2nd round guy and/or min vet guy neither of which is likely to make a big impact
Absolutely, it makes complete logical sense that when you cover 30 teams you only have surface level knowledge. Once you realize that you just have to take it all with a grain of salt.

Also a lot of these pods/shows are pure entertainment and people like the gossip and rumors. We have a funny human tendency to believe what we want to believe of the gossip. If it's about another team and especially if it's something we wish to happen we take it as gospel. If it's about our team we call media BS. Shrug

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach

Post#654 » by Shaffty » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:13 pm

rayallenscalves wrote:I listened to the most recent Lowe Post pod this morning when he and Pelton talked about the Bucks. They talked about how the team is mostly running it back and that's potentially worrisome given recent flameouts. Of course, there was not a single mention of Bud. I don't know how they can talk about "running it back" and "flameouts" and not mention the fact that primary reason for those flameouts is no longer coaching the team. A pretty big miss.

It was very funny how they completly glossed over it
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#655 » by BucksStatsGuy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:46 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I thought it was a weird conclusion to say Lasry left because Giannis is leaving. I seemed pretty clear he left because he already got the gain in valuation from TV contracts and getting out before paying the tax.

I really wonder how much Giannis adds to the valuation. With all the distribution and equity sharing, how much does winning bring in? I almost think the owners lose money by keeping Giannis and a Top 5 salary versus if he were to leave.

Like if the Bucks win a championship, do the owners get $50m more in CASH, $100m, $200m, $300m..... Like we pretty much know that keeping this roster versus blowing it up is costing the owners probably $100m+ ($40m difference between floor and payroll, $40m+ tax, plus $20m(?) distribution of tax money). I don't know how winning makes up that delta.

From the scuttle I heard, there was some sort of capital call/raising coming up that was gonna cost Lasry 90 million dollars. Have no information other than that, but there was some bill that was coming to roost and he decided to cash out. I think that was the primary reason, but I also don't doubt that there is a much more marginal reason that has to do with his belief in the front office / team going the next few years. Possible he think that obviously there is a floor with Giannis and you do everything in the immediate future to keep him around, but maybe he also thinks that the ceiling isn't quite there with the assets available. Given how the coaching search went, possible that even before that, he doesn't see things ending well when the team has to make a hard decision about the roster and maybe pissing off Giannis.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,799

Post#656 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:08 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I thought it was a weird conclusion to say Lasry left because Giannis is leaving. I seemed pretty clear he left because he already got the gain in valuation from TV contracts and getting out before paying the tax.

From the scuttle I heard, there was some sort of capital call/raising coming up that was gonna cost Lasry 90 million dollars. Have no information other than that, but there was some bill that was coming to roost and he decided to cash out. I think that was the primary reason, but I also don't doubt that there is a much more marginal reason that has to do with his belief in the front office / team going the next few years. Possible he think that obviously there is a floor with Giannis and you do everything in the immediate future to keep him around, but maybe he also thinks that the ceiling isn't quite there with the assets available. Given how the coaching search went, possible that even before that, he doesn't see things ending well when the team has to make a hard decision about the roster and maybe pissing off Giannis.

Thanks for the info. Surely some truth to it.

I think we are all basketball nerds, and love the NBA. And we can’t fathom that the most likely reason for Lasry selling is that this was always an investment for him. He’s mega rich cause he knows when to buy and when to sell. It is fairly apparent he sold at the perfect time and made a killing. Kenny Rogers would be proud (“know when to hold em, know when to fold em”).
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,336

Post#657 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:26 pm

I thought both would flip the team within 5-7 years. I was right about Lasry but Edens seems to genuinely enjoy being an owner.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach

Post#658 » by Shaffty » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:27 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I thought both would flip the team within 5-7 years. I was right about Lasry but Edens seems to genuinely enjoy being an owner.

lasry selling right before he gives up governorship is very funny imo
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,437

Post#659 » by randy84 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:49 am

BucksStatsGuy wrote:

Always felt that after the GM fiasco and Horst hiring that Lasry wasn't long for this team. I think he lost the power struggle and was looking to bolt.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,782

Post#660 » by jimmybones » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:26 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:

Not even close to claiming insider status but I do know someone who has good reason to know some specific things, close to the situation, happy to elaborate privately.... and according to them it was definitely financially driven (obviously) but it was more of a mixed feelings - do the right business move vs following the heart and doing what is more fun (owning a team). I don't think that would be the case if there was some conspiracy Giannis info involved.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks