ImageImage

06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Re: 06/19 ESPN & DX.com Speculation 

Post#641 » by Simulack » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 am

Bernman wrote:Ah, a good perspective, Sim. There's obviously a difference between 2/4 and 3/8, but then again Charlie Villanueva is considerably more proven than Khryapa was. Villa + an expiring (Dez) + 8 for 3 and an albatross.....should seem perfectly reasonable in comparison.

Definitely, particularly when you add in an expiring for a junk contract. Didn't the Suns basically sell the #7 pick which turned out to be Luol Deng a few years back just for cash and some future picks in order to save money?

If its well-known that Minnesota wants somebody like Lopez and is going to take him regardless, they don't have the leverage to make crazy demands on teams looking to move up. I'm assuming that is what happened with the Chicago/Portland deal - since other teams knew the Bulls coveted Thomas and were going to take him regardless, the best they could get to swap picks was a crappy prospect.

If that is the best offer, you might as well take it if you are going to draft a particular player regardless.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#642 » by El Duderino » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 am

Bernman wrote:
Simulack wrote:Although I doubt CV and #8 is going to move us up to 3, I think we overvalue draft picks this time of year and what type of offer it is going to take to move up.

A few years back Chicago wanted Tyrus Thomas and knew Portland wanted Aldridge but all they could get out of Portland for essentially swapping the #2 and #4 pick was Viktor Khryapa. That was only a 2 pick swing instead of the 5 here but that was moving up to a top 2 pick.

Obviously it all depends on where people view the tiers between prospects. I don't know what GM's think but but mocks had both Mayo and Love all the way below 10 at various points after the NCAA season had ended. That was never the case with Beasley or Rose. If the guys available at 3 are viewed as more like the type of prospects available at 8 than Rose or Beasley, then the cost to move up to get one of them might not be exorbitant.

Ah, a good perspective, Sim. There's obviously a difference between 2/4 and 3/8, but then again Charlie Villanueva is considerably more proven than Khryapa was. Villa + an expiring (Dez) + 8 for 3 and an albatross.....should seem perfectly reasonable in comparison. Those expecting Bogut on Minny's side AND #8, are smoking rock. Redd shouldn't be required to move from 8 to 3, but if we are planning on drafting Mayo, it makes sense. They can't co-exist on the court. But Minnesota should have to give us something else palatable in return.

Maybe taking back an ugly contract along with CV would be enticing to them, say include Mason and we take back Jaric.

As with any trades in todays NBA, swapping of contracts can play as big a role as swapping talent.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#643 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 am

KingCammo wrote:
xTitan wrote:I'll make a prediction...alot could happen by Thursday or they could just choose Alexander....but there is alot of potential for people who have loved the hiring of Hammond and Skiles to question what they are doing as well.......if some things go down, this board could really blow-up on Thursday night. There are alot of teams talking trades and the Bucks are a definite player

Awesome, I love it when this board has hissy fits. I expect midranger to lead with fire and brimstone :P

LOL....I bet you are wrong!.... :D
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#644 » by europa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:48 am

xTitan wrote:
europa wrote:
xTitan wrote:I'll make a prediction...alot could happen by Thursday or they could just choose Alexander....but there is alot of potential for people who have loved the hiring of Hammond and Skiles to question what they are doing as well.......if some things go down, this board could really blow-up on Thursday night. There are alot of teams talking trades and the Bucks are a definite player.

I've been hearing a number of things as far as trades, staying put, moving up, moving down etc. The one thing that seems to be pretty consistent is nobody has a good feel for what Hammond is going to do. I'll say this about him - he's got everybody guessing right now.

Actually i think he has been more upfront and honest then you know....if he stays at 8 you know there will be one of 2 players taken......or else he will put together a deal for a vet or 2, using the pick.....I don't see the Bucks moving up as of right now but that could change.

I will tell you this Bogut is going no where for a long time......and Hammond has some tricks up his sleeve and a definite plan.

I'd be shocked if Bogut was traded unless it was for a big-time proven player. As far as Hammond, I think he's been extremely direct with his comments since Day 1. I think he's been very clear and concise on a number of issues, far more concise than many people here seem to think he's been. So if the Bucks stay at 8 it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were choosing between Alexander and Randolph just like he seemed to suggest would be the case.

I've heard enough things to have me feeling confident he definitely has a plan in place. Now whether the marketplace will enable him to carry it out the way he wants is the question. It's clear, for example, he wants to move up in this draft. But he may not have enough ammo to get it done. So that's not on Hammond as much as it's on Harris and Kohl for leaving him with a boatload of crap.

I still think if they trade up it's to get Love and if they stay at 8 the pick will be Alexander.
Nothing will not break me.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#645 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Portland is a team definitely looking to make some moves and they very well could be a good trade partner with the Bucks.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,994

Post#646 » by Bernman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 am

Simulack wrote:
Bernman wrote:Ah, a good perspective, Sim. There's obviously a difference between 2/4 and 3/8, but then again Charlie Villanueva is considerably more proven than Khryapa was. Villa + an expiring (Dez) + 8 for 3 and an albatross.....should seem perfectly reasonable in comparison.

Definitely, particularly when you add in an expiring for a junk contract. Didn't the Suns basically sell the #7 pick which turned out to be Luol Deng a few years back just for cash and some future picks in order to save money?

If its well-known that Minnesota wants somebody like Lopez and is going to take him regardless, they don't have the leverage to make crazy demands on teams looking to move up. I'm assuming that is what happened with the Chicago/Portland deal - since other teams knew the Bulls coveted Thomas and were going to take him regardless, the best they could get to swap picks was a crappy prospect.

If that is the best offer, you might as well take it if you are going to draft a particular player regardless.

I don't know if it can be well-known they'll draft Lopez, unless they have a traitor on their hands. Trying to read all the signals sent out this time of year, I bet the league's GM's are just as dizzy as we are. However, being fixated on drafting Lopez would at least lower their trade demands.

Did you hear the Sonics are flirting with Lopez? If it's not another smokescreen, they are campaigning to be the new version of the Hawks, only with centers instead of small forwards. They have a new GM, so it's got to be a smokescreen to ramp up potential trade value. Next they'll send the message their enthralled with Love.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
europa
RealGM

Post#647 » by europa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:53 am

xTitan wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned but Portland is a team definitely looking to make some moves and they very well could be a good trade partner with the Bucks.

Many of us have been talking about a Bucks-Blazers swap for some time now. The key is finding the right mix of players. The Bucks have a pick the Blazers want and the Blazers have some young talent and a decent backup center in Pryzbilla who I think would help the Bucks as well as a pick which could very well produce the same type of player in terms of talent they could get if they stayed put at 8.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 38,036

Post#648 » by emunney » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:53 am

There's a rumor in the wiretap that Minny might trade down to 9 for Ammo. Even with an extra year on his contract, you have to think that Ammo's worth less than CV. I assume either team would be taking back Buckner, who is actually a player I wouldn't mind having on the roster.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Simulack
RealGM

Post#649 » by Simulack » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 am

El Duderino wrote:Maybe taking back an ugly contract along with CV would be enticing to them, say include Mason and we take back Jaric.

As with any trades in todays NBA, swapping of contracts can play as big a role as swapping talent.

Yep, I was going to throw Jaric's name out there after Bernman suggested adding Dez into the deal in exchange for one of Minnesota's bad contracts.

They'd absolutely have to consider that deal. There isn't a consensus tier switch between 3 and 8 anyway as is evidenced by the fact that guys mentioned like like Mayo and Love were lower just a month ago. It's certainly possible the guy they want at #3 could be somoene available at 8.

Here they are saving around 16 million dollars and getting a former lottery pick who, although terribly inconsistent, has already demonstrated above average NBA talent. That is plenty for moving up 5 spots. Hell, you can make a reasonable argument its a bad deal for the Bucks.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#650 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 am

europa wrote:
xTitan wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned but Portland is a team definitely looking to make some moves and they very well could be a good trade partner with the Bucks.

Many of us have been talking about a Bucks-Blazers swap for some time now. The key is finding the right mix of players. The Bucks have a pick the Blazers want and the Blazers have some young talent and a decent backup center in Pryzbilla who I think would help the Bucks as well as a pick which could very well produce the same type of player in terms of talent they could get if they stayed put at 8.

Memphis is another team looking to do some dancing.
europa
RealGM

Post#651 » by europa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:59 am

xTitan wrote:
europa wrote:

Memphis is another team looking to do some dancing.

Villanueva/8 for Lowry/5 baby. :D
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,994

Post#652 » by Bernman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:00 am

europa wrote:

The Blazers don't have jack for quality, at least that they're willing to trade. Want to deal Roy or Aldridge? Didn't think so. Next!
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Simulack
RealGM

Post#653 » by Simulack » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 am

emunney wrote:There's a rumor in the wiretap that Minny might trade down to 9 for Ammo. Even with an extra year on his contract, you have to think that Ammo's worth less than CV. I assume either team would be taking back Buckner, who is actually a player I wouldn't mind having on the roster.

I agree. We rag on CV here but his trade value has to be significantly higher than Morrison's. CV's an inconsistent guy who has nonetheless shown he has the talent/ability to be an NBA starter or better if he can get the ethic/commitment. Morrison was an abysmal starter his rookie year who barely looked like he belonged in the NBA.

At worst, CV ends up like TT who was very valuable when he was on his rookie contract and arguably lead us to a playoff victory or two. I'm not sure Morrison's peak is even that high.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#654 » by El Duderino » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 am

Simulack wrote:
El Duderino wrote:Maybe taking back an ugly contract along with CV would be enticing to them, say include Mason and we take back Jaric.

Yep, I was going to throw Jaric's name out there after Bernman suggested adding Dez into the deal in exchange for one of Minnesota's bad contracts.

They'd absolutely have to consider that deal. There isn't a consensus tier switch between 3 and 8 anyway as is evidenced by the fact that guys mentioned like like Mayo and Love were lower just a month ago. It's certainly possible the guy they want at #3 could be somoene available at 8.

Here they are saving around 16 million dollars and getting a former lottery pick who, although terribly inconsistent, has already demonstrated above average NBA talent. That is plenty for moving up 5 spots. Hell, you can make a reasonable argument its a bad deal for the Bucks.

If somehow that trade happened, the Bucks would then badly need to shed some salary elsewhere via trading Redd or Mo and hopefully dumping either Gadz or Simmons in the process.

If not, we'd have three guys making way way more money than they deserve between Gadz, Simmons, and Jaric.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36,756

Post#655 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:03 am

If Redd's on the move my guess is Portland for their pick and filler.

Minne is basically screwed. They need a center and apparently like Lopez. Two months ago Lopez at three was fine. Now they'll slammed if they pass up Mayo or Bayless for him.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 38,036

Post#656 » by emunney » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:03 am

There probably isn't a better fit in the league for CV than Memphis. The question is, is Chris Wallace trying to build a team for Iavaroni's style, or is he just waiting for him to wear out his welcome while he follows the ownership mandates to clear salary?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,406

Post#657 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:04 am

Bernman wrote:
europa wrote:

The Blazers don't have jack for quality, at least that they're willing to trade. Want to deal Roy or Aldridge? Didn't think so. Next!

Bingo. They are not moving Oden, Roy, Aldridge, and IMO there is nothing else on that team I'm that interested in that I'd move back five spots for and miss out on Alexander. No thanks.

I don't get the "I want to move back in the draft" crowd at all. There are better players at 8 than there are in the mid teens, and we are not going to get an impact player by moving back anyway.

Improve the talent-base of this team, don't add just a bunch of ok but not impact players.

Keep 8, move up in the draft, or make a package to land a star. No other scenarios need apply.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#658 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:09 am

You people seem to think every trade is going to be a home run for some big name players....that rarely happens, some are being discussed but there might just be a few more smaller deals....as Hammond has mentioned before.
Simulack
RealGM

Post#659 » by Simulack » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:10 am

DrugBust wrote:If Redd's on the move my guess is Portland for their pick and filler.

Minne is basically screwed. They need a center and apparently like Lopez. Two months ago Lopez at three was fine. Now they'll slammed if they pass up Mayo or Bayless for him.

I've always thought the Mo to Portland for #13/filler made more sense than Redd. Why would they need Redd? Where is he going to play? Roy has PG abilities but I'm not sure they want to play him at PG at all times when he is in in there with Redd (or play Redd at 3).

A combo type guard like Mo or Hinrich makes more sense for that team and with Roy IMO. I think they would like Kirk if he is available but, if not, I've seen many Trailblazers fans who liked the idea of getting Mo.

Speaking hypothetically and realizing the unlikelihood of all this happening, if we did do something like trade 8/CV/Dez for #3/Jaric, a deal like this with Portland would make a lot of sense because we would need to move salary and we'd have a guy in Jaric who could take some of Mo's minutes.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,846

Post#660 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:11 am

Simulack wrote:I agree. We rag on CV here but his trade value has to be significantly higher than Morrison's. .

I agree. The other thing that you hinted at above was the way these guys from slots 3-15 have gyrated up and down the past three months. I still maintain that all of us on this board are too hard wired from how good last years draft was and are equating all these 2008 guys with the guys in slots 3-15 from last year's draft.

I just don't think they match up. And given that the reports keep rolling the last month (and getting louder each hour) that so many teams want to deal their top ten pick, you understand that this draft is a crapshoot. Sure, there will be a couple gems but I think fewer than last year and who knows which guys those will be.

Last year we didn't hear any of this stuff about the teams in slots 3-15 wanting to deal their pick. Everyone just hoped like hell the guy they wanted would somehow, someway slip to them. If not, they knew there were 3 other decent guys on a lower tier they would love to have.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks