ImageImage

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#661 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Nov 8, 2023 10:36 pm

Someone posted the Marion Nike commercial where he was wearing a weighted vest. Since I was bored and a sucker I went to amazon and bought a cheap weighted vest. Kind of crazy how much 20 pounds make a big difference. I'm a small guy in decent shape where I range from 145 (Peak multi-marathons during a summer) to 168 (rough busy season). I'm at 160 but giving myself the benefit of the doubt I feel I gained some upper body muscle from carrying around kids.

All that to say, the added 20 pounds would put me at 180 and I feel everything is a struggle. Did a feel hill climbs, light jog, and some pull-ups, push-ups. I really don't think 180 pounds would be THAT crazy for my 5'8 frame and honestly probably pretty typical for a Wisconsinite. I'm kind of surprised how tough it is and its crazy to think a lot of people are carrying that weight daily. Put it a little in perspective when comparing me to someone a little bigger than my on runs.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#662 » by LUKE23 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 10:44 pm

Haven't seen this thread in a while. Finally started playing basketball again consistently and it's really the only cardio I would say I really like. It sure as hell doesn't age as well as volleyball but it's the best sport on Earth, so....

My wife got me a Tonal for my birthday a few years back, and I have to say it's the best workout machine I have ever used by a wide margin. Challenging workouts, tons of programs and workouts to choose from, and I don't end up nearly as sore as working with free weights but still see solid gains. Just been easier for me to stick with than ever going to a gym. Awesome piece of equipment, even if it is on the pricey side. I figure most good gym memberships are $100 per month anyway.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,219

Post#663 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 8, 2023 11:19 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Someone posted the Marion Nike commercial where he was wearing a weighted vest. Since I was bored and a sucker I went to amazon and bought a cheap weighted vest. Kind of crazy how much 20 pounds make a big difference. I'm a small guy in decent shape where I range from 145 (Peak multi-marathons during a summer) to 168 (rough busy season). I'm at 160 but giving myself the benefit of the doubt I feel I gained some upper body muscle from carrying around kids.

All that to say, the added 20 pounds would put me at 180 and I feel everything is a struggle. Did a feel hill climbs, light jog, and some pull-ups, push-ups. I really don't think 180 pounds would be THAT crazy for my 5'8 frame and honestly probably pretty typical for a Wisconsinite. I'm kind of surprised how tough it is and its crazy to think a lot of people are carrying that weight daily. Put it a little in perspective when comparing me to someone a little bigger than my on runs.

You run marathons and you're in "decent" shape. Good God.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,219

Post#664 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 8, 2023 11:20 pm

I bought a Pilates reformer in January. I really like it. Very good total body workout, as easy or hard as you want to make it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,065

Post#665 » by BUCKnation » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:33 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Someone posted the Marion Nike commercial where he was wearing a weighted vest. Since I was bored and a sucker I went to amazon and bought a cheap weighted vest. Kind of crazy how much 20 pounds make a big difference. I'm a small guy in decent shape where I range from 145 (Peak multi-marathons during a summer) to 168 (rough busy season). I'm at 160 but giving myself the benefit of the doubt I feel I gained some upper body muscle from carrying around kids.

I'm 6'2" ~205 on avg and am also a runner. Used to mainly do a lot of power lifting, so it's a lot of muscle mass.

It's such a b**** to get up to a good pace, like under 8 min/mile, for longer distance runs (had an under 4 hr marathon in the bag before I started getting some major cramping around mile 17-18 this spring). I know I need to loose weight but don't want to commit to the diet :lol:. Also, need to do more intervals but I just enjoy a leisurely run too much. It's a struggle.

I'll just run my 20-30 miles a week and mostly eat what I want.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks