ImageImage

The Greek National Team thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Re: The Greek National Team thread 

Post#761 » by truly » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:56 pm

soxperry wrote:I really hope he takes the summer off. He has played great but if im being honest he looks slower than usual.

If the Bucks make it deep in the playoffs i dont think Giannis can play in the qualifiers who are in June.
But if Greece qualifies there is no chance he misses the Olympics.The european qualifiers are tough,with multiple good teams and Greece is not guaranteed to play at the tournament and he could easily end up never having a chance to do it in the future.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#762 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:05 pm

Giannis’s girlfriend is gonna want to keep him away from Rick Pitino...
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#763 » by Nightfall » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:15 pm

I don't know if in the end it actually happened, but before the negotiations started, Pitino said that he consider his honor to coach the NT and that he doesn't want a salary.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#764 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:31 pm

Nightfall wrote:I don't know if in the end it actually happened, but before the negotiations started, Pitino said that he consider his honor to coach the NT and that he doesn't want a salary.

Yeah that’s 100% bull ****. He’ll certainly he expecting payment. Sounds like something he’d say though.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#765 » by Beorn » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:12 pm

Knowing the Federation's financial situation, it's highly unlikely he will get paid at all :P Only chance he is paid in more than 5-figures salary is that an external sponsor is paying his salary on behalf of the Federation
JABRoy
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#766 » by JABRoy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am

Rick Pitino is an interesting hire in my opinion.

With Pitino, do you think there is a chance to see Zisis and Spanoulis again in the national team?

Thanks
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,495

Post#767 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:06 pm

JABRoy wrote:Rick Pitino is an interesting hire in my opinion.

With Pitino, do you think there is a chance to see Zisis and Spanoulis again in the national team?

Thanks

The Greek EuroLeague club Panathinaikos basically de facto runs the Greek basketball federation. Had Pitino coached Olympiacos last season (or even AEK Athens for that matter), instead of Panathinaikos, he wouldn't be allowed to coach the Greek NT, even if he paid the Greek federation $5 million.

Spanoulis and Zisis are extremely reviled by most of the Panathinaikos world (owners, managers, fans), so not likely happening, unless Pitino leaves Panathinaikos. However, if Pitino leaves Panathinaikos, then yes, it's possible.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#768 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:10 pm

There is supposed to be an announcement soon, that Rick Pitino and Giannis asked Spanoulis to return to the national team and that he said yes. Also supposedly, Printezis, Zisis and Bourousis said they will also return if Spanoulis does.

So they would likely all play at the Olympic qualifier tournament, which the Antetokounmpo brothers and Kosta Koufos would very likely not play at. Then, if Greece was able to qualify for the Olympics, then the belief is that Giannis would probably join the team at the actual Olympics. And everything also seems to show that Pitino will stay on as the head coach.

First time the Greek national team had any good news, in like at least 5 years.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,054

Post#769 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:48 pm

Why is Pitinio not out of the team yet, after all the **** he created?
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#770 » by greekbuck34 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:54 pm

The greek pool of talent is crap in the Giannis era compared to the golden era of Greek basketball a few years back.
If 38-39y old Spanoulis takes the some of the load of leading mentaly and in the clutch from Giannis I'm good with that.
The Spanoulis/19-20y Giannis PNR from a few years back was our best play we had for him in the Greek NT.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,782

Post#771 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:18 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:There is supposed to be an announcement soon, that Rick Pitino and Giannis asked Spanoulis to return to the national team and that he said yes. Also supposedly, Printezis, Zisis and Bourousis said they will also return if Spanoulis does.

JFC :lol:

Should get Galis too
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,944

Post#772 » by Fotis St » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:54 pm

I will never forgive the Greek **** coaches like Katsikaris that parked Giannis at the corner 3 on offense.
And playing Calathes all these years next to Giannis instead of Sloukas is a basketball crime that should send you a lifetime out of the sport of Basketball. In fact Giannis shouldn't play a single minute without Sloukas who was/is our best 3pt shooter-even off the dribble & a playmaker ... Case closed
Draft: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#773 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:11 pm

Fotis St wrote:I will never forgive the Greek **** coaches like Katsikaris that parked Giannis at the corner 3 on offense.
And playing Calathes all these years next to Giannis instead of Sloukas is a basketball crime that should send you a lifetime out of the sport of Basketball. In fact Giannis shouldn't play a single minute without Sloukas who was/is our best 3pt shooter-even off the dribble & a playmaker ... Case closed

Sloukas isn't Greece's best 3 point shooter. He's only effective if he's open. He can't shoot at all with any pressure on him. And he also can't shoot at all coming off a screen. And he's not even that good at shooting off the dribble either. He's very good, even great at spot shooting, but yeah, hardly good at all at the others.
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#774 » by Fotis St » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:31 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:I will never forgive the Greek **** coaches like Katsikaris that parked Giannis at the corner 3 on offense.

Sloukas isn't Greece's best 3 point shooter. He's only effective if he's open. He can't shoot at all with any pressure on him. And he also can't shoot at all coming off a screen. And he's not even that good at shooting off the dribble either. He's very good, even great at spot shooting, but yeah, hardly good at all at the others.

I am thinking if there is any reason to continue debating with you ... I will just skip it Miro
Draft: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,823

Post#775 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:01 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:There is supposed to be an announcement soon, that Rick Pitino and Giannis asked Spanoulis to return to the national team and that he said yes. Also supposedly, Printezis, Zisis and Bourousis said they will also return if Spanoulis does.

JFC :lol:

Should get Galis too

Rick Pitino out here reading my signature.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#776 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 4:20 pm

Fotis St wrote:I am thinking if there is any reason to continue debating with you ... I will just skip it Miro

Sloukas had an enormously disappointing and failed season. He was the worst EuroLeague signing of the year, considering his huge salary. He was unbelievably non clutch, and single handedly cost his team about 5 losses with choke jobs. One of them, the choke against Zalgiris, was one of the worst chokes in EuroLeague history.

He was extremely inconsistent, being very good in one game, and then mediocre or awful in the next 2-3 games, and rinse and repeat. His defense was absolutely atrocious. He was in a battle with Shane Larkin for the title of the worst defender at the point guard position in EuroLeague. He had to be benched for entire 4th quarters in numerous games, because he was unplayable, due to his awful defense.

We can stop with all the nonsense hyperbole hype and overrating of Sloukas now. Olympiacos fans, and even the press, were calling him out over and over during the season, because of all his failures.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#777 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:39 pm

Greek NT update for the Pre-Olympics qualifier in Canada.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/national-teams/1211171/spanoulis-in-dorsey-and-koufos-out-for-the-greek-nt/

Spanoulis in, Dorsey and Koufos out for the Greek NT
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,823

Post#778 » by AussieBuck » Sat May 29, 2021 12:23 am

lol
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
JABRoy
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#779 » by JABRoy » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:07 am

What will be the next steps for the Greek National Team?

Some notes:
1. New coach (my dream is Dimitris Itoudis)
2. Eurobasket ‘22
3. World Championship ‘23
4. Olympics ‘24

I believe it will be a rejuvenated and Giannis-focused team for Big events.

Some thoughts will be:

OUT: Spanoulis ‘82 Zisis ‘83 BOUROUSIS ‘83
PRINTEZIS ‘85 Bramos ‘87
IN: Giannis ‘94 & Thanatis ‘92 & Kostas ‘97 Chrysikopoulos ‘92 Larentzakis ‘93 Mitrou Long ‘93 Auguste ‘93 Papapetrou ‘94 Agravanis ‘94 Dorsey ‘96 Mitoglou ‘96 Koniaris ‘97 Papagiannis ‘97 Rogkavopoulos ‘01
TO EVALUATE: Calathes ‘89 Koufos ‘89
Sloukas ‘90 Mantzaris ‘90 Pappas ‘90 PAPANIKOLAOU ‘90 Kaselakis ‘90 Katsivelis ‘91 Kavvadas ‘91 Alex ANTETOKOUNMPO ‘01 Kalaizakis ‘99
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#780 » by Fotis St » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:38 am

Whoever is in charge of the roster ... We are very unlucky that GIannis era comes in a bottom low talent wise level in the History of Greek Basketball. I mean unfortunately our best guards are Sloukas and Calathes ... a 31 year old and a 32 year old.
Where did all the Greek talented guards go in the last 10 years ?
A waste of a decade has happened and it will look even worse unless the Federation finally realises that it the best interest of the sport and the Greek players to create and copy the Draft Procedure. I am in favour to copy the NBA system in total.
Force a 30 Team League that will include most current teams and the biggest cities of Greece.
Force small Clubs to merge into one City representative.
Just copy the NBA. Let a big salary cap in order for Panathinaikos & Olympiacos to operate and compete for Euroleague.
I am not sure if Big Teams will agree, but they should. Maybe give them a tax free 3 year gift in order to build a league we will be proud of. Then you will see that the best Greek talents will be drafted from low talent teams and will have the playing time in order to improve and reach their potential. Currently best Greek Players (stupidly) sign a 4y/ 200K contract at the age of 17-18 and become proffessional bench warmers in the top Greek clubs. What a disgrace for their talent and Greek Basketball in general. It is everybody's fault, not only the Clubs.

So ... Sloukas and Dorsey should have been our starting backcourt. We need shooters around Giannis.
Calathes is not a good fit with Giannis he can be our 6th man.
Our bigs Mitoglou and Papagiannis (he has become way slimmer & mobile than his NBA version) are good to duplicate the Portis, Lopez combo. All we need is shooters.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks