ImageImage

Doug Collins at Bucks Practice: New Team President?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Re: Doug Collins at Bucks Practice: New Team President? 

Post#81 » by Treebeard » Wed Oct 8, 2014 12:32 pm

DocHoliday wrote:Doesn't the Team President handle the day to day operations side of things? I don't think that mark murphy watches much film or has too much influence on ted thompson's drafts.

Very true, but Murphy had a much better base to start from. The real heavy lifting of the Packers franchise was years before Murphy. Murphy's more of a high end maintenance guy.

Whoever comes in now for the Bucks has to help L&E get an arena built in a couple of years, and a dormant fan base rebuilt as well. Both really tough jobs right now. This guy needs to be MacGyver....
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,372

Post#82 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 12:49 pm

emunney wrote:
Oh, I certainly get why he'd be hired. In a lot of ways, he'd be an asset. Just not in the ways that really stir my soup. (I like for my soup to be stirred.)

I wouldn't necessarily be a huge fan of it either as I agree with the earlier comments that Collins represents the prior era of "eye test" ball.

That said, the takeaway of this thread should be that the Bucks have finally arrived if we can actually run rampant speculation on a guy like Collins and it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that our team was talking to him about something. It is great to be relevant again.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#83 » by Nebula1 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 1:05 pm

There is nothing wrong with having guys who depend on what they see on the court over analytics. Eventually people will find it's a balance of the two that create the best results. It's wise the Bucks use experts in "both" areas.

I do agree that it's generally a great sign for Milwaukee basketball that so many folks are becoming interested.
yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Post#84 » by yoshii8 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 1:46 pm

I'd be fine with Doug Collins, he seems like a smart guy and has had a lot of success over the years. I
yoshii8
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by yoshii8 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:32 pm

I found another quote in the article linked below. Here it is, "I am big on analytics being a huge part of it, teams are smart to use analytics, but at the same time, to me, there is the eye test, there is the heart test, there is that test every single day when you are with players in practice, developing a trust and a truth with one another about how you want to win basketball games. It is in flux right now, but the beauty is, let’s see how it all turns out.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... -dangerous

So after a guick google search, Doug Collins fear of analytics is proved wrong. To me he sounds like a very intelligent person.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#86 » by SkilesTheLimit » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:41 pm

yoshii8 wrote:I found another quote in the article linked below. Here it is, "I am big on analytics being a huge part of it, teams are smart to use analytics, but at the same time, to me, there is the eye test, there is the heart test, there is that test every single day when you are with players in practice, developing a trust and a truth with one another about how you want to win basketball games. It is in flux right now, but the beauty is, let’s see how it all turns out.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... -dangerous

So after a guick google search, Doug Collins fear of analytics is proved wrong. To me he sounds like a very intelligent person.

"I am big on analytics being a huge part of it, teams are smart to use analytics.."

If he would've stopped there, we'd all be drooling over him. Of course, we choose to overplay the part that says "I'm old school and don't trust numbers over my eyes" to hang onto. I think he'd provide a nice balance between the two and incorporate analytics in his front office.

I wouldn't be doing cartwheels in the streets over this hire, but I'm certainly not displeased. Once again, like Kidd, I'm willing to give them a chance to succeed/fail before judging them as they both would represent a true culture change here.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
yoshii8
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by yoshii8 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:46 pm

Is there a hire that would make you do cartwheels in the streets? Just curious.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#88 » by SkilesTheLimit » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:47 pm

yoshii8 wrote:Is there a hire that would make you do cartwheels in the streets? Just curious.

Greg Popovich.

I'd be cartwheeling like a little girl if that happened.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#89 » by BUCKnation » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:58 pm

Its Peter Feigin.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#90 » by crkone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:00 pm

http://investing.businessweek.com/resea ... TKS,%20Inc.

Peter Feigin serves as Vice President of Corporate Development at Marquis Jet Partners. At Marquis, Mr. Feigin is responsible for the oversight of the sports and entertainment sales and marketing. He serves as the main point person for hundreds of sports stars and entertainment celebrities on all of their private aviation needs. He served as Vice President of Marketing at the New York Knicks. Mr. Feigin has served with some of the biggest brands in the sports and entertainment industry, also served as the Head of Marketing at the NY Knicks, Six Flags. He served as Vice President of Marketing with New York Knicks from 1996 to 2004, where he was responsible for overall brand management including: Advertising, promotions, new media, events, charitable and community endeavors, as well as managing and enhancing the team's corporate partnerships. Mr. Feigin was responsible for the overall planning, creation, and execution of all Knicks marketing initiatives, including building the Knicks brand equity through innovative marketing programs delivered across traditional and new media channels. He served as the primary liaison between the team, its business partners, and MSG Advertising Sales and MSG Network. Mr. Feigin oversaw all franchise enhancement activities and new business development projects and initiatives for the Knicks organization. He joined the Knicks after five years at Six Flags Theme Park, where he served as park's Promotions Manager from 1995 to 1996, and then its Marketing Director from 1996 to his appointment at the Knicks. He serves as Director of Leverage Agency LLC. Mr. Feigin is a native of New York City and a graduate of Franklin and Marshall College.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 422

Post#91 » by smauss » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:02 pm

My position on Collins is similar to DB & Luke. I didn't like him as a coach, but I believe he'd be an excellent pres.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#92 » by crkone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:05 pm

Love the choice by the way. He's been all over in terms of marketing, working recently with Deluxe.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks