ImageImage

Will the Bucks do a major trade by the deadline?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Do you think the Bucks will make a major trade?

Yes.
34%
No.
66%

Total votes: 86

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,235

Re: Will the Bucks do a major trade by the deadline? 

Post#81 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 pm

emunney wrote:Thing is we traded BK from a position of strength. We were playing well and everybody internally was calling him our best player. Guys who get credit for winning are worth more. MCW and Monroe are getting credit for our decline. That's not ideal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Correction: They're getting credit by many on this board for our decline. Let's not act like there aren't GMs out there that value these guys and see that they can be better fits on rosters that aren't ours.

If losing de-valued a player that much then Greg Monroe doesn't sniff the kinds of offers he got 6 months ago. Efficient post scoring bigs are still at a premium in the league.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,060

Re: RE: Re: Will the Bucks do a major trade by the deadline? 

Post#82 » by emunney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
emunney wrote:Thing is we traded BK from a position of strength. We were playing well and everybody internally was calling him our best player. Guys who get credit for winning are worth more. MCW and Monroe are getting credit for our decline. That's not ideal.

Correction: They're getting credit by many on this board for our decline. Let's not act like there aren't GMs out there that value these guys and see that they can be better fits on rosters that aren't ours.

If losing de-valued a player that much then Greg Monroe doesn't sniff the kinds of offers he got 6 months ago. Efficient post scoring bigs are still at a premium in the league.

Oh, you think its just this board, and not the chorus of every media outlet including the best connected reporter in the history of the sport? You've got your head in the sand if you haven't seen that it's the prevailing opinion among people who follow the league. It's true that it only takes one team to make a big mistake, but your chances of getting value for a player are greatly increased if you have multiple teams knocking and no internal reason (losing) to be motivated to trade.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,904

Post#83 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

Exactly. There were a lot of people who thought BK's lack of true pg skill was actually holding the team back last year and that teams knew that. While it's true that he monopolized the ball a lot and was not the ideal pg for the team going forward, the criticism of him was overstated in the sense that he had much more value than people gave him credit for. The same is true with MCW and Monroe. It almost becomes a game of "who can belittle this unpopular player more". Of course they're deeply flawed. Most average NBA players are. That doesn't mean plenty of teams wouldn't want them. It's all about fit.

It's also a great time to trade them. Monroe is exactly what every other team who wanted him thought he was. No reason to believe his value has gone down at all. Of course there's a difference between being willing to give him a max contract without giving up an asset and being willing to trade something of value for him, but I am certain several contenders would happily give up an expiring contract and some protected picks. As for MCW, when has he ever played better? And he has another year on his rookie deal before he's an RFA. He absolutely has some trade value, despite the hate he gets here. True, he can't do what the Bucks or 76ers needed him to do, but that's just as much an incrimination of those two teams as it is of him.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,378

Post#84 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:52 pm

On one hand I'm sure it helped the Bucks that the prevailing sentiment was Knight was leading the Bucks to their winning record last season. On the other the Bucks used Knight to trade for a guy seen as putting up volume stats on the worst team in the league.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#85 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:55 pm

emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

Oh, you think its just this board, and not the chorus of every media outlet including the best connected reporter in the history of the sport? You've got your head in the sand if you haven't seen that it's the prevailing opinion among people who follow the league. It's true that it only takes one team to make a big mistake, but your chances of getting value for a player are greatly increased if you have multiple teams knocking and no internal reason (losing) to be motivated to trade.

:roll:

Yeah, I must just "have my head in the sand" because teams are offering max contracts to "losers" like Greg Monroe every offseason. The argument as to whether or not him and MCW are most responsible for this team's regression (one I find ridiculous) is irrelevant.

I'm arguing that they still hold quite a bit of value around the league, but so often in the case of our own players, for a lot of you guys, if they're not the "best", then they're "the worst".
emunney
RealGM

Post#86 » by emunney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:58 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

Exactly. There were a lot of people who thought BK's lack of true pg skill was actually holding the team back last year and that teams knew that. While it's true that he monopolized the ball a lot and was not the ideal pg for the team going forward, the criticism of him was overstated in the sense that he had much more value than people gave him credit for. The same is true with MCW and Monroe. It almost becomes a game of "who can belittle this unpopular player more". Of course they're deeply flawed. Most average NBA players are. That doesn't mean plenty of teams wouldn't want them. It's all about fit.

It's also a great time to trade them. Monroe is exactly what every other team who wanted him thought he was. No reason to believe his value has gone down at all. Of course there's a difference between being willing to give him a max contract without giving up an asset and being willing to trade something of value for him, but I am certain several contenders would happily give up an expiring contract and some protected picks. As for MCW, when has he ever played better? And he has another year on his rookie deal before he's an RFA. He absolutely has some trade value, despite the hate he gets here. True, he can't do what the Bucks or 76ers needed him to do, but that's just as much an incrimination of those two teams as it is of him.

To be clear, I think our issues are team issues (below critical thresholds of interior defense and perimeter shooting) and I'm not putting them on MCW and Monroe (although who they are as players puts them at the center of that discussion). I actually think you're tacitly agreeing with my point when you argue that Monroe's value is an expiring contract and protected picks. That's significantly less value than was involved in the Knight trade. Is it because Knight is that much better than Monroe, or because the situation was more advantageous for a trade?
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 589

Post#87 » by bdpecore » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Monroe and MCW do have value. With the cap increase this off season Monroe's contract will not be a deterrent for a team in "win now" mode. He is a walking double double which appeals to teams struggling to put up point s in the paint. MCW would be a solid 3rd guard on a playoff team. His play over the last 10 games could be enough to convince a GM he has finally turned the corner. If this is actually the case is another discussion but his continued improvement this season is hard to deny.

Also if good players are to be blamed for their losing teams, then no team would offer fair value for AD, DMC, KAT, Lillard and/or Wiggins.
emunney
RealGM

Post#88 » by emunney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

Yeah, I must just "have my head in the sand" because teams are offering max contracts to "losers" like Greg Monroe every offseason. The argument as to whether or not him and MCW are most responsible for this team's regression (one I find ridiculous) is irrelevant.

I'm arguing that they still hold quite a bit of value around the league, but so often in the case of our own players, for a lot of you guys, if they're not the "best", then they're "the worst".

Teams aren't offering max contracts to Monroe every offseason. Teams are offering max contracts to Monroe *last offseason*. The offseason before everyone in the league knew the cap was going to spike. There is nothing hugely wrong with Monroe's contract and this argument you're trying to work against that he's untradeable or 'the worst' is not coming from me, so save it. If you're arguing against me, you're arguing that we have the same advantages we had last year when we traded Knight. Which: scoreboard.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#89 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:24 pm

emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
emunney wrote:Oh, you think its just this board, and not the chorus of every media outlet including the best connected reporter in the history of the sport? You've got your head in the sand if you haven't seen that it's the prevailing opinion among people who follow the league. It's true that it only takes one team to make a big mistake, but your chances of getting value for a player are greatly increased if you have multiple teams knocking and no internal reason (losing) to be motivated to trade.

Teams aren't offering max contracts to Monroe every offseason.

Yes they are. You think that Gordon Hayward moves the needle more than Greg Monroe? How about Eric Gordon (when he's healthy)? There's a laundry list of "max players" just in the last 3 years I can point to, but I think you can get the picture. The notion that a "max money" player is expected to produce at a superstar or even all-star level has become extremely outdated, and not just because of the rising cap.

If Eric Bledsoe was put on the trade block right now, he'd field offers from at least a half dozen teams with the cap room to absorb him. Now, tell me that you put Monroe, a guy with a better injury history and more team-friendly contract, and you don't get as many, if not better offers from teams that value a guy with his skill set?

If you just don't think that teams value Monroe because his skill set is outdated, then I vehemently disagree and we'll agree to disagree. I only have to point to recent contracts handed out to guys like Al Jefferson and Nik Vucevic as evidence.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,904

Post#90 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:40 pm

emunney wrote:
To be clear, I think our issues are team issues (below critical thresholds of interior defense and perimeter shooting) and I'm not putting them on MCW and Monroe (although who they are as players puts them at the center of that discussion). I actually think you're tacitly agreeing with my point when you argue that Monroe's value is an expiring contract and protected picks. That's significantly less value than was involved in the Knight trade. Is it because Knight is that much better than Monroe, or because the situation was more advantageous for a trade?

I would say it's mostly because BK was still on his rookie deal and would be an RFA in the offseason. I think it has more to do with that than how either player was perceived. Phx wanted to make the playoffs and was getting a stat stuffer having a borderline all-star year, albeit without a true position, for only about $1m for the remainder of the season. Then he would be an RFA in his prime who would likely be easy to retain for 5 years at a cost that wouldn't yet be inflated by the upcoming cap changes. Monroe comes at a much steeper cost this season and next, and then any team trading for him would have to worry about handing him a huge, post-cap-inflation contract when he's about 28 or so. That affects what assets teams are willing to give up.

By the same logic, I think MCW has quite a bit more value than people here are saying. He has 1.5 years left on his rookie deal. He will be a free agent post-inflation, but at least he will be a young RFA. His trade value wasn't the LAL pick when we got him, but I'd say he has more trade value now than he did then and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we could turn around and flip him for something only a little less valuable than what that Lakers pick was worth when it was traded last year. (It was less valuable then that it is now because there was always the possibility of LAL signing a couple good free agents and trading Randle and the #2 pick for vets, a possibility that no longer exists but which was very real at the time.)

He has one less year on his rookie deal, but has shown dramatic improvement in the past month at about the stage in his career when most successful players start improving. It's very similar to Knight's improvement and people will be just as surprised at his trade value if they move him this deadline as they were at Knight's. I remember last year when the bench was playing so well and the team looked great with Marshall at pg, and people argued that gm's throughout the league knew Knight was just a stat whore who was actually holding the team back and nobody would give much of value for him. It was never that simple, despite the fact that I had the same complaints about BK and MCW (and Monroe, for that matter).
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,419

Post#91 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:39 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:By the same logic, I think MCW has quite a bit more value than people here are saying. He has 1.5 years left on his rookie deal. He will be a free agent post-inflation, but at least he will be a young RFA. His trade value wasn't the LAL pick when we got him, but I'd say he has more trade value now than he did then and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we could turn around and flip him for something only a little less valuable than what that Lakers pick was worth when it was traded last year. (It was less valuable then that it is now because there was always the possibility of LAL signing a couple good free agents and trading Randle and the #2 pick for vets, a possibility that no longer exists but which was very real at the time.)

I completely concur. MCW's contract situation is equally or more favorable than Knight's was.

And I especially think that we can pry something from a true contender that knows the title goes through Golden State and need a big guard to rough up Steph (or even Klay) in the playoffs.

That's why a Cameron Payne for MCW trade is completely feasible in my opinion and would have the NBA media world split on who got the better deal there. I also think we might not do a deal like that simply because we'd be afraid of casual fan backlash trading a "name" guy like MCW for a guy the average fan has no clue about.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,390

Post#92 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:If you just don't think that teams value Monroe because his skill set is outdated, then I vehemently disagree and we'll agree to disagree. I only have to point to recent contracts handed out to guys like Al Jefferson and Nik Vucevic as evidence.

Neither of those players signed max deals :dontknow:.

And yeah, Hayward and healthy Gordon are better players.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,378

Post#93 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:If you just don't think that teams value Monroe because his skill set is outdated, then I vehemently disagree and we'll agree to disagree. I only have to point to recent contracts handed out to guys like Al Jefferson and Nik Vucevic as evidence.

Nah.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#94 » by Chapter29 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:48 pm

I say no.

Patience is in order with this team. I do see any major moves.

Now, a Mayo or a Bayless or less move? That might happen.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#95 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

Nah.

Guess we'll disagree. At 22 he was a better player than Monroe has ever been in the league and give him 3-4 more years of healthy play he might even be a "premier" scorer in the league IMO.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#96 » by Nowak008 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

worthlessBucks wrote:Chasing the high yield junk, playing the risk. Could be worse, he could be on food stamps or something.

Your screen name might end up becoming true!
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
emunney
RealGM

Post#97 » by emunney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

Teams aren't offering max contracts to Monroe every offseason.

Yes they are. You think that Gordon Hayward moves the needle more than Greg Monroe? How about Eric Gordon (when he's healthy)?

Eric Gordon when he signed his contract, absolutely. As for Hayward, yes, and also I love that you brought him up, because he was a RFA at the same time as Monroe, who did NOT get offered a max contract and took the QO.

I mean.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#98 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 pm

emunney wrote:As for Hayward, yes, and also I love that you brought him up, because he was a RFA at the same time as Monroe, who did NOT get offered a max contract and took the QO.

That's the funniest part of the argument. We literally have evidence that every offseason he wouldn't get a max contract. Just going to go out on a limb as well and say he would have gladly taken less than a max deal that offseason as well, like guys like Jefferson and Vuc did.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#99 » by Prince12 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:42 pm

A major trade is trading one of the five starters or Henson. Im hopeful it's the pg or one of the centers. I don't see it though.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Xanadu
Sixth Man
And1: 433

Post#100 » by Xanadu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:51 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:By the same logic, I think MCW has quite a bit more value than people here are saying. He has 1.5 years left on his rookie deal. He will be a free agent post-inflation, but at least he will be a young RFA. His trade value wasn't the LAL pick when we got him, but I'd say he has more trade value now than he did then and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we could turn around and flip him for something only a little less valuable than what that Lakers pick was worth when it was traded last year. (It was less valuable then that it is now because there was always the possibility of LAL signing a couple good free agents and trading Randle and the #2 pick for vets, a possibility that no longer exists but which was very real at the time.)

I completely concur. MCW's contract situation is equally or more favorable than Knight's was.

And I especially think that we can pry something from a true contender that knows the title goes through Golden State and need a big guard to rough up Steph (or even Klay) in the playoffs.

That's why a Cameron Payne for MCW trade is completely feasible in my opinion and would have the NBA media world split on who got the better deal there. I also think we might not do a deal like that simply because we'd be afraid of casual fan backlash trading a "name" guy like MCW for a guy the average fan has no clue about.

If we could get Payne for MCW and didn't because of PR then this team has absolute no chance of winning in the future. God this post is depressing.
Bucks fandom bringing me happiness still seems like a dream.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks