ImageImage

OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#21 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I have done 2 rounds of P90X and it works great. Lost some weight and am in the best shape of my life. Now I have some of Tony's 1 on 1 workouts that I rotate in to keep things fresh. I Have his "Just Arms", "Diamond Delts", "Medicine Ball Core Cardio", "30-15 (30 various types of pushups, followed by 15 various types of pullups X12. Killer).

The bottom line with workout programs is whatever gets you motivated is the right program. For some it's joining a gym, for some it's a home program like this. What works for one doesn't work for someone else.

:nod:
jamaica3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by jamaica3 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I have done 2 rounds of P90X and it works great. Lost some weight and am in the best shape of my life. Now I have some of Tony's 1 on 1 workouts that I rotate in to keep things fresh. I Have his "Just Arms", "Diamond Delts", "Medicine Ball Core Cardio", "30-15 (30 various types of pushups, followed by 15 various types of pullups X12. Killer).

The bottom line with workout programs is whatever gets you motivated is the right program. For some it's joining a gym, for some it's a home program like this. What works for one doesn't work for someone else.

I hope you mute your TV every now and then because that is just too much Tony Horton
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#23 » by PedroGrande » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Yep
"Hope isn't a plan"
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#24 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:54 pm

I have done 2 rounds of P90X and it works great. Lost some weight and am in the best shape of my life. Now I have some of Tony's 1 on 1 workouts that I rotate in to keep things fresh. I Have his "Just Arms", "Diamond Delts", "Medicine Ball Core Cardio", "30-15 (30 various types of pushups, followed by 15 various types of pullups X12. Killer).

MD:

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Post#25 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Yup that's pretty much me :)

I don't think the time commitment is all that great. All except Yoga clock in at around 50 minutes including warm up/cool down. You can't expect to get decent results with ANY workout program without spending 50 minutes a day or so on it.

What's nice is as you get in better shape you can make the workouts harder, just add more weight. WIth Kenpo I started using weighted gloves. I didn't follow the nutrition plan although I read through it and it's pretty good. I just try to eat decent. When you bust your ass in plyometrics for 45 minutes it's hard to justify eating a cheeseburger after.

Yeah Tony can get on your nerves after awhile but it's that way with any DVD program that you use over and over. After I learned the moves I just put my own music on and mute the sound. Overall Tony does a good job keeping you motivated.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#26 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yup that's pretty much me :)

I don't think the time commitment is all that great. All except Yoga clock in at around 50 minutes including warm up/cool down. You can't expect to get decent results with ANY workout program without spending 50 minutes a day or so on it.

What's nice is as you get in better shape you can make the workouts harder, just add more weight. WIth Kenpo I started using weighted gloves. I didn't follow the nutrition plan although I read through it and it's pretty good. I just try to eat decent. When you bust your ass in plyometrics for 45 minutes it's hard to justify eating a cheeseburger after.

Yeah, I've read the diet plan, and there is no way I can stick with it. I'm just planning on eating as healthy as I can. I've heard people that have followed the diet plan that say it isn't enough food to maintain the energy to complete the workouts.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#27 » by emunney » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 pm

I've only done the Plyo workout on P90x, and it really did just seem ridiculous to me. The most difficult workout I've ever done, I think.

I'm a huge fan of the Tabata Protocol. I love intense, time-efficient workouts and then spending the rest of my exercise time playing sports.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#28 » by crkone » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm on week 3 of P90x and after the initial soreness that ended a few days ago I feel great. It's hard at first but if you go at your own pace and make sure you do it the right way you'll be fine. I haven't really changed my diet though since losing weight wasn't really my goal. I guess I'm lucky that at 26 my weight has stayed within 20 lbs for 6 years. 6'1" 190. Before I got married a few years back I went on Atkins for 3 months and did roofing and went from 210 to 180.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 pm

That's a nice thing about P90X is that there are 3 people doing it along with Tony and they all do it a little different with different intensities. So you pick the one that's closest to where your current fitness is and follow that person. Many workout programn are one size fits all and that's no good.

I was not in good shape when I started and would never have been able to get through any of the workouts had I had to do it at it's most intense. But Tony's great at having modified moves and as you get in better shape you can get rid of the modifications and just BRING IT :)

Plyo was definitely tough for me at first. Still is because now I try to do it like that guy in the back, I can't remember his name.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,010

Post#30 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah, MD hit it on the head. I just downloaded p90x but waiting for a pull up bar I ordered to come in hopefully tomorrow. It seems impossible to follow the videos the first time around but I've only been doing it a few days and can tell I'm getting better and stronger. They do a good job of saying do what you can and keeping your confidence up. Though by the 5th time you watch any of the video you are probaly going to want to kill him.

Funny this thread popped up cause I really am just starting to focus on getting in shape. Training for my second marathon, but I am 25 heavier last October so I definitely need to get more toned. Anyone else a runner here?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#31 » by jerrod » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:28 pm

so this is all stuff you can do at home?

i lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago by switching to diet soda and not eating fast fooding. (from really fat to just normal fat) and now i lift a few times a week and i play soccer (just running and shooting) by myself for 2-3 hours a few times a week.

i have the exact opposite problem of newz, i'll never be skinny but i build muscle really quickly
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#32 » by Newz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 pm

jerrod wrote:i have the exact opposite problem of newz, i'll never be skinny but i build muscle really quickly

And your jump shot is broke as hell where as mine is a thing of beauty.

JUST SAYIN'. :P
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#33 » by jerrod » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Newz wrote:
jerrod wrote:i have the exact opposite problem of newz, i'll never be skinny but i build muscle really quickly

And your jump shot is broke as hell where as mine is a thing of beauty.

JUST SAYIN'. :P

you have an awful lot of faith in what you read online, especially considering how you've been burned in the past :D
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#34 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 pm

so this is all stuff you can do at home?

Yeah, but you need to get a workout mat, pullout bar that can hinge into a doorframe, and either dumbbells or resistance bands as well. But yeah, it's all in home exercise.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#35 » by crkone » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Another thing is I do it at night with my wife. Yesterday we got done with legs & back and Ab Ripper X at 9 PM. :nonono: It takes a bit of effort to do those while tending to 2 and 6 year olds.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#36 » by blkout » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Another thing is I do it at night with my wife.

I started having a lot of problems with my feet about a year ago, had no idea what it was but it made life pretty much unbearable and any sort of physical activity would cause me problems for days. I got a pool table, played for about an hour and couldn't walk for the next 2 days. Anyway finally got to the doctors and after months of testing and appointments they said it's gout. So I'm on medication and can finally start doing things again. I did 30 minutes (heart rate 140) on an exercise bike the other day and thought I was going to die. I have been out of commission way too long.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#37 » by bigkurty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Ahh, well since the subject was brought up, my company sells flooring and mats designed just for these types or workouts so I hope you can forgive me if I throw a few shameless recommendations out there for you.

If you want to do a full flooring solution and will be doing high impact workouts like the plyometric video in P90X, I would recommend our Plyorobic Flooring. This is basically a rubber flooring solution but one thjat is less dense than normal to help absorb more shock.

There are also a variety of Gym / exercise mat and interlocking gym tile solutions available that can offer a temporary floor covering to help protect your normal sub floors and reduce sound transmission between floors.

If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know and I would be happy to help.

One other thing, has anyone heard of these insanity videos? I heard they make P90X look weak. Considering P90X will kick most people's butts who are in good shape, those videos must be ridiculous.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Insanity is more cardio oriented so if losing weight ir more of one's goal rather than strength then that might be a good option.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 pm

resistance bands are fine if you are totally out of shape. they're a good way to get your muscles working again. And a decent option for pull up bar substitute. But to get the full benefits of X you need dumbbells for strength and a pull up bar.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#40 » by WRau1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm starting P90X at the beginning of Sept and I'm pretty excited about it. I started to diet and lift weights Feb 1st of this year and as of now I'm down 87lbs. I've always been bigger but I've always been athletic so I was looking for something to really push me and P90X was highly recommended.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz

Return to Milwaukee Bucks