ImageImage

2013 TV/Movie Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: 2013 TV/Movie Thread 

Post#61 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:21 pm

The Wolf does look good and I have no problem with some of the movies that have come out (Wall Street, Boiler Room). No doubt some dirty stuff goes down on Wall Street, but there are also amazing, great moments that happen as well. I'd just like to see a couple Wall Street movies that illustrate the opportunity. Personally I'm honored to work for a Wall Street firm and love every day of my life.

Pursuit of Happyness did a decent job of showing the good side of the business.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#62 » by unklchuk » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:25 pm

Scattered counter-shots, with rubber bullets:

Pursuit of Happyness did a decent job of showing the good side of the business.

Yes, Wall Street has its good side. But IMHO it's a beast from the wilderness. With the excitement, potential, and danger that suggests. Our American society sure shouldn't kill it or straight-jacket it, but we should contain it within some bounds. Keep it from hurting us.

I usually avoid all Wall Street movies because I just assume it will be a politically motivated 90 minute smear by some liberal director.

I don't like smears from any source, but I'd say liberal values are not over-represented in the current USA. Me, I welcome almost all values -- as long as they don't (from right or left) call for destruction and mayhem. As long as they don't claim the absolute truth.

It is the kind of politically correct movie the Academy loves.

I don't have much in common with the Academy. But I'm glad to share Lincoln with them. And, hell yes, Schindler's List.
AFAIK, IDKM
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#63 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:00 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I can't believe anyone believes Will Smith is a better actor than Jamie Foxx. I guess to each his own but whew, take away Booty Call and the resumes speak for themselves. While I think Smith has carved out a nice little niche for himself as an action star, he doesn't have the chops to stack up to Foxx. TBH, I've always had an issue with him since he ruined Ali.

This situation reminds me a bit of Basterds. Initially Adam Sandler was supposed to play Eli Roth's character of Donny "The Bear Jew" Donowicz. In fact the part was specifically written for him ash e and QT are very good friends. In the end he dropped to film "Funny People" and Roth was asked to do it. While the character was small, it was significant, and the more I think about it, Sandler could have ruined the entire movie given 5 minutes of screen time.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that one is a better "actor" than the other (and if pushed to do so, I'd probably lean towards Will). I would say that Will is a more charismatic and engaging actor than Jamie by leaps and bounds, but I think Jamie is better at taking specific direction. To me, looking at Will in Ali and Jamie in Ray are indicative of that fact. Will has his own persona, his own identity, that seeps into every role he takes. That persona doesn't always mesh well, especially when he isn't willing to stretch to fit the role he's supposed to play.

I'm not sure how that impacts Django. He could've added a bit more flare to the character in a positive way, but the edge that Jamie brought to the role was good as well. It's hard to say.

The Sandler comparison is useful, but I think he's a much inferior actor and far more limited in range than Smith. I think it would've been interesting to see him as the Bear Jew - it might've brought a whole new perspective to his acting ability. But, the risk probably outweighs the reward.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#64 » by europa » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:02 pm

I think Foxx's best work trumps Smith's best work (Foxx in "Collateral" was near brilliant) but Smith generally has made more entertaining films.

Foxx is also reportedly an insufferable douchebag in real life whereas Smith seems to be a genuinely decent guy.
Nothing will not break me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#65 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:08 pm

Zero Dark Thirty is awesome.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#66 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:33 pm

DrugBust wrote:Zero Dark Thirty is awesome.

Where did you see it? I thought it wasn't releasing nationwide until mid-January.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#67 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:36 pm

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Finally got around to this one today, the little girl gives an incredible performance that was worthy of all the buzz but the film as a whole didn't quite do it for me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:34 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
DrugBust wrote:Zero Dark Thirty is awesome.

Where did you see it? I thought it wasn't releasing nationwide until mid-January.

Screener hit the net last night.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Post#69 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:04 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
Good points. Didn't mean to rattle your Big Willie Style cage.

Awesome. 8-)

You didn't rattle my cage! THAT'S JUST THE WAY I TALK!

HASN'T HE SEEN ANY OF YOUR MOVIES? JUICE...THAT WAS A GOOD ONE. DEEP BLUE SEA? THEY ATE YOU, A **** SHARK ATE YOU.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAnoi7NpKI[/youtube]
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#70 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 12:31 pm

fantastic book

A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#71 » by A Diddy2231 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:07 pm

Not a big Family Guy fan but Ted on first viewing was funny..the second time through, not so much. Caught the end of the Three Stooges movie..wow was that bad! And like 10 minutes of Jack and Jill and that made the Three Stooges movie look good
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:43 pm

Maybe this is what Intel had up its sleeve regarding their foray into TV last week.

verge: Breaking: Intel forges partnership with Comcast, future chipsets can view live TV without set-top box http://t.co/cAMhDmfU

Follow along here.

Interesting possibilities open up. However, if all this boils down to is, "Hey, now you can watch TV on your laptop.[/url] I'll be less than impressed. However, if this does in fact lead to an a la carte subscription service I'd be 100% on board.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#73 » by Max Green » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:04 am

ESPN fired Rob Parker today for his comments last month about RG3. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8825796/rob-parker-contract-not-renewed-espn
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,302

Post#74 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:09 am

humanrefutation wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
Good points. Didn't mean to rattle your Big Willie Style cage.

Awesome. 8-)

You didn't rattle my cage! THAT'S JUST THE WAY I TALK!

HASN'T HE SEEN ANY OF YOUR MOVIES? JUICE...THAT WAS A GOOD ONE. DEEP BLUE SEA? THEY ATE YOU, A **** SHARK ATE YOU.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAnoi7NpKI[/youtube]

Knew somebody would get it :)
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,302

Post#75 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:12 am

A Diddy2231 wrote:Not a big Family Guy fan but Ted on first viewing was funny..the second time through, not so much. Caught the end of the Three Stooges movie..wow was that bad! And like 10 minutes of Jack and Jill and that made the Three Stooges movie look good

Why are you watching these things on purpose?
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#76 » by ReddWing » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:46 am

Anybody watching Justified?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,376

Post#77 » by blazza18 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:57 am

I will later. Hows the premier episode been ?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#78 » by ReddWing » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:09 am

blazza18 wrote:I will later. Hows the premier episode been ?

I'm actually holding off ,myself until the Bucks game is over in a few minutes
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#79 » by europa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Tried watching "Girls" because a friend of mine said it was really good. I saw Howard Stern talking highly about it too. Watched the first two episodes and couldn't get into it. Watched about 10 minutes of the third and turned it off. I didn't find any of the four main girls very interesting (although the virgin chick made me chuckle a couple of times) and they seem to be going overboard to make the guys appear to be either douchebags or sexually inept in order to prop up the girls in relation to them.

Brian Williams' daughter is easy to look at, though.
Nothing will not break me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Same. I hated pretty much everyone through two episodes so I didn't start the third.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks