ImageImage

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#601 » by Mags FTW » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:58 pm

I’ll be signing up for my first Ironman as soon as they add smoking a half pack of Marb Lights to the course.

Anyone here own a treadmill? The wife and I are looking into getting one. What’s the most important feature? How much is a decent one that won’t mess up our joints? Do any come with an ashtray?
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#602 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Aug 6, 2018 3:17 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I’ll be signing up for my first Ironman as soon as they add smoking a half pack of Marb Lights to the course.

Anyone here own a treadmill? The wife and I are looking into getting one. What’s the most important feature? How much is a decent one that won’t mess up our joints? Do any come with an ashtray?

I don't know what your budget is but If you don't want to mess up your joints get an elliptical or something like that instead of a treadmill. Low impact.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#603 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:12 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I’ll be signing up for my first Ironman as soon as they add smoking a half pack of Marb Lights to the course.

Not a huge fan of indoor running but if I was going to buy a treadmill it would be a xebex runner. They are self propelled which is nice because you can pick up speed or slow down at will. They also lessen the impact on your joints and knees.

Really for a home cardio experience I'd say you're better off getting a concept II rower. More mobile, easy to move and I think it's a better/more versatile burn than running.
Do it for Chuck
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#604 » by crkone » Mon Aug 6, 2018 7:18 pm

https://www.trueformrunner.com/shop

These are a pretty penny

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#605 » by Jez2983 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 8:51 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I don't know what your budget is but If you don't want to mess up your joints get an elliptical or something like that instead of a treadmill. Low impact.

It's looking like the traditional view that 'running increases joint degeneration' is crap. Can't be bothered looking now (!) but there is research is showing moderate amounts of running sees decreased inflammatory markers in joint synovial fluid. These markers are indicative of stuff that is linked to increased joint breakdown. Pretty nascent stuff but unsurprising. Body generally responds positively to stress of exercise - hypertrophy in muscles due to lifting weight for example.

Also finding long-term runners (20km per week) have larger discs in their lumbar spine with more fluid content, effectively negating the changes that normally happen to these discs as part of the aging process.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#606 » by vegaspacker » Tue Aug 7, 2018 11:00 am

I used to be a pretty good workout guy. In the Army I maxed the PT test. Used to gymrat 5days a week at 2-2.5 hr's a day. Had a resting HR of 42 per ekg after walking up 4 flights of stairs to the cardiology department. Benched twice my weight without a spotter. I did the stress test on the treadmill with all the gear on too for a dyspnea on exertion study. I learned about weight lifting from my buddy who wrestled in college. Those were the days.

I have a friend who does ultra marathons throughout the country, and a few in Europe. She's amazing, had 3ACLs and played d1 soccer. She won't do any CrossFit or tuffmudder etc stuff due to the excessive joint stress.

I give the true CrossFit folks amazing props, still have a few peeps that compete there. Definitely notable athletes, but lack the spectacular size to make a career in professional athletics. I also find that they have a tendency to push beyond limits and deal with too many self inflicted injuries.

Sent from my XT1585 using RealGM mobile app
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#607 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:32 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

It's looking like the traditional view that 'running increases joint degeneration' is crap. Can't be bothered looking now (!) but there is research is showing moderate amounts of running sees decreased inflammatory markers in joint synovial fluid. These markers are indicative of stuff that is linked to increased joint breakdown. Pretty nascent stuff but unsurprising. Body generally responds positively to stress of exercise - hypertrophy in muscles due to lifting weight for example.

Also finding long-term runners (20km per week) have larger discs in their lumbar spine with more fluid content, effectively negating the changes that normally happen to these discs as part of the aging process.

True but that also requires (from what I've read) proper footgear and proper form which most people generally don't have. If the treadmill is for walking (and if OP actually is a smoker I'm assuming that's the case) then by all means get a treadmill.

Also stop smoking.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#608 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 7, 2018 3:03 pm

As an old f... er an old guy who used to run marathons, I'd tell younger guys to just listen to your body and use common sense. I didn't and kept running for more than a year with chronic achilles tendonitis and paid a price. I could have managed it if I kept to moderate goals and played fewer pickup basketball games. And when you get injured, ya gotta take time off and let it heal. Do some swimming and biking and eliptical instead of running and playing hoops.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#609 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Aug 7, 2018 3:37 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I think its similar to the studies that say endurance running is bad for your heart. A lot of those studies control for variables like BMI and stuff so of course the person that is naturally in great shape that doesn't run with a great metabolism and genetics will be healthier than the guy who runs to get healthy. I think the better comparison for a lot of people is it better to be worn down and in shape, or fat and putting pressure on your body through obesity. Well, it usually is a lot better to be in shape even if you over due it compared to being sedentary.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#610 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Aug 7, 2018 6:46 pm

I actually just got one. Its a good time to find one a craigslist. I got what was a $2800 treadmill a few years ago for $150.

The bigger you are the more of an issue (longer stride, more weight, etc). The size of the deck, the ability to absorb shock, all matter a lot. I would never get a cheap one. Too little absorption, too narrow a deck, not long enough for my stride. But I'm also a good 6'6".

They take up a fair amount of real estate too. Make sure you know what it is going to look like in your space.

Recumbent bikes are good for non-impact cardio.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#611 » by Jez2983 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:40 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

True but that also requires (from what I've read) proper footgear and proper form which most people generally don't have. If the treadmill is for walking (and if OP actually is a smoker I'm assuming that's the case) then by all means get a treadmill.

Also stop smoking.

Yes, Mags needs to stop smoking.

To be clear, my discussion was more related to the 'low impact' stuff.

He absolutely should start with a slow increase in activity, initially walking and slowly building to faster walking. At this point adding in some skipping and squats, particularly single-leg. After a couple/few weeks of this, I was just looking at a 'readiness to run' assessment from Blaise Williams, who is a US PT.

Need to be able to complete this:
1. Stand hop test near wall (160 BPM) – 10cm above raised hands – maintain cadence, bouncing off toes, no knee valgus
2. Plank – maintain level position, no raise/drop, head drop, shifting (L) to (R)
3. SL squats (160 bpm) – 30s each – maintain knee position, hips not dropping, not losing balance
4. Step ups (160 bpm) – 30s each leg, not dropping head (bending at waist), knee position
5. 90/90 ball squat hold – maintain position, no hips to floor/ceiling, not dropping head

Use a metronome. If you can do this (1 min per test with 30s off in between) roughly equivalent to a 7" mile (including breaks) which is pretty high intensity. If you can do that you can start 1 min on/1 off running, looking to double the component weekly for 5 weeks. Then should be able to get into continuous running. Build time up first, intensity later.

Tendons take around 3 months to respond to loading changes. If you go too hard too soon you could get tendinopathies.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#612 » by Jez2983 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:42 am

Ruzious wrote:As an old f... er an old guy who used to run marathons, I'd tell younger guys to just listen to your body and use common sense. I didn't and kept running for more than a year with chronic achilles tendonitis and paid a price. I could have managed it if I kept to moderate goals and played fewer pickup basketball games. And when you get injured, ya gotta take time off and let it heal. Do some swimming and biking and eliptical instead of running and playing hoops.

Tendons suck, and runners are impatient.

Best compromise is cross-training and a really good therapist who is giving you good goals and time frames.

"Stop Running" will never cut it for a runner without good explanation and planning.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#613 » by chonestown » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Bump. Ballboy in OT thread was asking about hoop runs in Milwaukee. As good a time as ever to resuscitate this old battle axe.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#614 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:31 pm

This thread goes against all my beliefs and values. Move to CA board IMO.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#615 » by humanrefutation » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Where's jerrod at? He still building brick houses?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#616 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:20 pm

I've been restumping and basically rebuilding my house in my spare time since last season ended. This has me currently looking I did 7 years ago when I was training to be a boxer. Highly recommended buying a house with rotten timber stumps, bests a gym membership/treadmill any day
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#617 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Where's jerrod at? He still building brick houses?

Ha! I have him on my Facebook actually and I don’t see much about basketball on there. He has really gotten into soccer over the years though.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#618 » by humanrefutation » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Where's jerrod at? He still building brick houses?

Ha! I have him on my Facebook actually and I don’t see much about basketball on there. He has really gotten into soccer over the years though.

You should tell him to come back here. You don't go through years of Bucks misery only to bolt just as the Giannis reign takes shape!
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#619 » by MrHoneycutt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I'd love to hear more about this if you get the chance. I'd always been solidly in the camp of 'running ruins your joints' for years, and tried to focus more on hypertrophy and shorter burts of cardio. Particularly as someone who destroyed L5-S1 last year (thank you x 1 million, Dr. Stuart McGill), that's amazing regarding the research around long-term runners negating the disc problems associated with aging! I would never have guessed that in a million years.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#620 » by Mags FTW » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 am

What a coincidence! 14 months later, we finally got that treadmill last week! :lol:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks