ImageImage

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#81 » by BUCKnation » Fri May 3, 2013 3:43 pm

jerrod wrote:here's a question. i'm doing squats now but i want to do calf raises on the same day, anyone have any thoughts on that?

I always do that. Just make squats the first thing you do.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#82 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 3, 2013 8:10 pm

jerrod wrote:being able to cook is huge. i'm slowly getting better at it. avocados are awesome.

on the drinking front, i've dumped the vodka lemonades for vodka gimlets. i think that cuts out some unnecessary calories.

here's a question. i'm doing squats now but i want to do calf raises on the same day, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Vodka, Diet Tonic, and Lemon is a nice option.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#83 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 3, 2013 8:29 pm

I pretty much only drink vodka waters when I go out. Huge improvement from whiskey diets.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#84 » by averageposter » Fri May 3, 2013 9:08 pm

I feel pretty good, after 10 weeks starting at 212+ (dieted for about two weeks before buying a scale) I am now at 175. I feel like I've not only retained muscle but made strength gains. Probably due to toning more then actually building new muscle which I would think is near impossible while losing that kind of weight eating at a calorie deficit.

I'd like to lose another 15 pounds, then look to build some new muscle, work a little harder on the abs and such. Settle in to a little more relaxed diet to maintain my target weight. At least its now on the horizon.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#85 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 3, 2013 9:47 pm

averageposter wrote:I feel pretty good, after 10 weeks starting at 212+ (dieted for about two weeks before buying a scale) I am now at 175. I feel like I've not only retained muscle but made strength gains. Probably due to toning more then actually building new muscle which I would think is near impossible while losing that kind of weight eating at a calorie deficit.

I'd like to lose another 15 pounds, then look to build some new muscle, work a little harder on the abs and such. Settle in to a little more relaxed diet to maintain my target weight. At least its now on the horizon.

How tall are you? I've been trying to get under 200 for a little while now, but it's been a bit of a challenge despite running A TON and only lifting 2-3 times a week. I know you shouldn't base everything on weight, which I agree with because I feel a lot better in my clothes, but I have a mental goal to get under 200. I'm a little under 6'1 for reference.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,721

Post#86 » by jimmybones » Fri May 3, 2013 10:30 pm

emunney wrote:
jerrod wrote:i'm doing squats now but i want to do calf raises on the same day, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Can you explain the controversy? I say go for it.

That^ You can do more than one exercise per muscle group....and there's very little carryover to the muscles used to squat vs calf raise.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#87 » by averageposter » Sat May 4, 2013 12:06 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
averageposter wrote:I feel pretty good, after 10 weeks starting at 212+ (dieted for about two weeks before buying a scale) I am now at 175. I feel like I've not only retained muscle but made strength gains. Probably due to toning more then actually building new muscle which I would think is near impossible while losing that kind of weight eating at a calorie deficit.

How tall are you? I've been trying to get under 200 for a little while now, but it's been a bit of a challenge despite running A TON and only lifting 2-3 times a week. I know you shouldn't base everything on weight, which I agree with because I feel a lot better in my clothes, but I have a mental goal to get under 200. I'm a little under 6'1 for reference.

I'm a little over 5'10". I have been losing pretty steadily, but i had a lot to lose. Luckily for me one of my close friends is a real workout warrior. Guy is 160# benches 385, real body builder type. While that's not my goal, he is exceedingly helpful, switching up my routine, gave me a few dietary tips, generally just a good source of help. My diet is pretty strict calorie wise, but i have been comfortable while on it. High protein, low carb and 1700 calories a day, making sure to split it up higher in the early part of the day. Fitness watch has helped me adjust my workouts based on how hard I work job wise and or play.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#88 » by Nebula1 » Sat May 4, 2013 3:47 am

Friday night hoops are in full swing here. We've got about twenty guys each time.

I'm playing every day but Fridays are turning out great. Now out watching grizz rox domination.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#89 » by jerrod » Sat May 4, 2013 8:06 pm

i just didn't know if squats and calf raises on the same day would be overdoing it. so that's cool.
bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#90 » by bullox » Fri May 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Had the free time yesterday to test my limits. Seems like ~70,000 steps and 34.42 miles is about my limit. 13 miles outside in the sun and 21+ on the treadmill. Way past the point of diminishing returns but I had to test myself.

http://client.fitbit.com/user/23NQSG
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#91 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 31, 2013 5:56 pm

I've been working out pretty solidly since Easter. I haven't weighed myself during that time, but I'm in three belt holes so that feels good. I started off around 230 and I'd guess I'm getting close to 205 right now. Going to the gym 5-6 days a week. 20 minutes of cardio followed by 30-35 minutes of circuit training and basketball every Saturday morning. Another 15 lbs and i'll be happier.

Progress has been slowed this week though because apparently I have Gout. Who the hell gets gout? I'm not even really drinking any beer other than on weekends so go figure that out. The doctor said she had no explanation as to why it happened and that I'm one of the younger case she's seen with it (28).

Anywho. If anyone else in the Madison area is playing in weekly games I'd like to get in on them. Let me know if any of you have an open spot.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#92 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 pm

I play Sundays in a really competitive pickup league at Edgewood High School. Flowers, Krabbenhoft, and a lot of other ex college players (Platteville, NDSU, Davidson) play in it. I don't know if the guy that runs it is looking to add more guys to it or not, but if you shoot me your email/info I can check. lukenelson11@hotmail.com

Also, the Shell has pretty good basketball M-W-F at noon, if you can swing that (I can't anymore). Good mix of young and old. Fundamental basketball.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#93 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Anybody interested in having a RealGM pickup game some where in Madison? I know you guys have done this before, so may there would be enough people interested?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#94 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 31, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm also attempting my first marathon tomorrow. Signed up for it about 10 days ago because I didn't want to wait until the fall to try my first. I"m ready to do it right now so I figured might as well pop my cherry. I ran 22 on my own about a month ago and ran the Syttende Mai 20 mile race a couple of weeks ago. I'm running it in South Bend and it finishes at the 50 yard line of Notre Dame's football stadium, which is kind of cool even though I hate ND.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,724

Post#95 » by emunney » Fri May 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Good luck, man.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#96 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:52 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Anybody interested in having a RealGM pickup game some where in Madison? I know you guys have done this before, so may there would be enough people interested?

I'd be up for it if we could get enough guys.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#97 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I play Sundays in a really competitive pickup league at Edgewood High School. Flowers, Krabbenhoft, and a lot of other ex college players (Platteville, NDSU, Davidson) play in it. I don't know if the guy that runs it is looking to add more guys to it or not, but if you shoot me your email/info I can check. lukenelson11@hotmail.com

Also, the Shell has pretty good basketball M-W-F at noon, if you can swing that (I can't anymore). Good mix of young and old. Fundamental basketball.

I used to love that old Edgewood gym. I assume it's still the same one?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#98 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:17 pm

They have renovated the floor, but yep.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#99 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 31, 2013 8:24 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
I play Sundays in a really competitive pickup league at Edgewood High School. Flowers, Krabbenhoft, and a lot of other ex college players (Platteville, NDSU, Davidson) play in it. I don't know if the guy that runs it is looking to add more guys to it or not, but if you shoot me your email/info I can check. lukenelson11@hotmail.com

Not quite sure I'm in the condition to chase around 6-3 and 6-7 former Division 1 basketball players quite yet, but I do appreciate the offer and would love to take you up on it in the future sometime.

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Anybody interested in having a RealGM pickup game some where in Madison? I know you guys have done this before, so may there would be enough people interested?

Now this is more my speed right now. I'm in if anyone wants to set something up I'd be all for it.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#100 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Most of the guys are 34 years old +, so while it's damn competitive, it isn't like you're going against guys in their prime. If you're in shape you'd be OK. Let me know.

Yeah, I'd be up for a RealGM game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks