ImageImage

What do you want to do this off-season?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Re: What do you want to do this off-season? 

Post#241 » by M-C-G » Fri Mar 8, 2013 5:49 pm

Hypothetical for the board;

Jennings continues this assist first PG streak through the end of the season.
Ellis continues playing like he has since Feb 10th.
Bucks draft pick in the first is approximately 16th.

Do you want to resign Jennings, or do you hope a team like New Orleans or Dallas (both places he was linked to) tries to acquire him in a sign and trade?
New Orleans 1st, Aminimu (?) for Jennings, Milwaukee 1st
Dallas 1st, Vince Carter for Jennings

You have to hope Ellis opts in (if he continues this play).

In the NO deal, you come out of it with Otto Porter or Shabazz
In the Dallas deal, you come out of it with Trey Burke and Poythress (or other SF of your choice)

Ellis, Burke, Ish
Redick, Dunleavy
Poythress, Moute, Carter
Illy, Henson
Sanders, Udoh

vs keep the band together
Jennings, Ish
Ellis, Redick
Dunleavy, Moute
Illy, Henson
Sanders, Udoh

I suppose the takeaway question would be, if Jennings and Ellis continue their recent play (however unlikely that may be), what do you want to do with them now?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,116

Post#242 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:24 pm

M-C-G wrote:I suppose the takeaway question would be, if Jennings and Ellis continue their recent play (however unlikely that may be), what do you want to do with them now?

The part of this that was not included in your hypothetical is the team record to finish out the year and the playoffs. If we do really well and say finish 45-37 and win a round or lose in 7 games, my feelings for both guys may be impacted.

I'm not a fan of keeping either right now under new contracts, unless Monta opts into his $11mm for next year. But I'm open to keeping both if they truly have turned the corner and the price is right. Interesting 45-days ahead of us.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
linguini8
Junior
And1: 47

Post#243 » by linguini8 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm not sure what I would want anymore. I wouldn't be able to make any kind of decision until after the season has finished and we see what the end result is. 3 games of high assists doesn't mean much for me. I think he 100% absolutely is playing for a contract. But, what happens if he actually decides to play like this the rest of his career?(unlikely) He no doubt will get overpaid this offseason - by us. But would 13/14 million be overpaying a 24 year old PG who is going to average 15-10 on good shooting efficiency? Probably, but not by much.

If all of a sudden the backcourt isn't the problem for this team. Then what is? Needing a clear upgrade at 3?

If Jennings, Monta, Redick / Larry, Ersan, Henson can be your backcourt/frontcourt. Then we need to let Dunleavy walk, amnesty Gooden, and trade our 1st round pick while going after the biggest name SF we can. Josh Smith? He compliments our frontcourt in that he can play either the 3/4 with Ersan/LRMAM.

Jennings/Monta
Monta/Redick
Smith/LRMAM
Ersan/Henson
Sanders/FA
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,015

Post#244 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Mar 8, 2013 7:16 pm

we cant afford jennings and monta unless we skip the big splash fa like smith. it cant be done.

sign smith
s/t jennings for a 1st
find a team willing to absorb moute or udoh
resign dunleavy

monta @ 11 million
redick @ 8 mil
ish @ 1 mil
smith @ 15 mil
dunleavy @ 4 mil
ersan @ 8 mil
henson @ 2 mil
sanders @ 3 mil
udoh or moute @ 4.5 mil
ayon @ 1.5 mil
#1 @ 2 mil
thats 11 guys at 60 mil....... and under the projected cap

sign 2 others guys to fill the roster at the vet min and were done

thats my new target for this summer
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#245 » by whatthe_buck!? » Fri Mar 8, 2013 7:57 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:we cant afford jennings and monta unless we skip the big splash fa like smith. it cant be done.

sign smith
s/t jennings for a 1st
resign dunleavy

monta @ 11 million
redick @ 8 mil
ish @ 1 mil
smith @ 15 mil
dunleavy @ 4 mil
ersan @ 8 mil
henson @ 2 mil
sanders @ 3 mil
udoh or moute @ 4.5 mil
ayon @ 1.5 mil
#1 @ 2 mil

We'd have 2 first rounders wouldn't we? So 12 player at like 61.5 mil... Anyway, chalk it up to lowered expectations if u want, but with two 1sts going into this years draft and having broken up the BJ-Monta backcourt I would be SUPER happy with this offseason. This plan being executed would be pretty close to a realistic best case scenario. I would like it even more if Monta's 11 mil was the last year of his current contract that he chose to pick up his option on...
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#246 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:00 pm

the pick for jennings would be the following year. the draft would have already taken place by the time july 1st rolls around and wed have the chance to make a deal with somebody.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#247 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:03 pm

if we did trade jennings in a s/t deal for a pick... what would the salary ramifications be regarding the trade exception he'd create. would it be possible to spend up to the cap after that and then have a monster trade exception over the next year as well?
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 723

Post#248 » by averageposter » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:15 pm

I like the Ersan Sanders Front line, especially if we have somebody else on the bench or whatever that can bring some beef when warranted, but those two are just fine by me.

Keep one of the Monta/Jennings duo and play him at point. I don't care which, especially if Jennings is reeling himself in a bit and passing a bit more, and Ellis has proven to me he sees the floor just fine from the PG position.

I like Redick and feel compelled to resign him since I feel like he brings that % efficiency that is going to be on the low end from whomever remains at PG. Hoping he values starting here and signs reasonably.

The Moute at SF experiment must end though. Too often this team decides not to cross match him up if the perimeter threat isn't a SF. Sometimes we do it but not enough to live with him crushing the spacing. I like the guys hustle and defensive ability but he has no place on the court offensively. No opponent respects his shot, ever, just destroys the spacing. He can post but its too slow developing, making it situational , others have noted he doesn't seem a willing passer anymore. Just hate watching him on offense.

I'd throw my remaining Free agent dollars or trade bait, toward someone who can help at the three. Have no idea who though, I'd be looking for a slasher, be nice if he had range but if forced to chose I'd take an athlete who can get to the cup.

Obviously if they are going for it and they will be then I'd love for a guy like Dunleavy to come back as well.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#249 » by whatthe_buck!? » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:19 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:if we did trade jennings in a s/t deal for a pick... what would the salary ramifications be regarding the trade exception he'd create. would it be possible to spend up to the cap after that and then have a monster trade exception over the next year as well?

If we signed and traded him for a 1st not only would nothing be left on our cap but I'm also pretty sure we'd have a cap exception equal to his year one salary to use within a years time. If we just tender him I don't really know how much he counts against the cap, I've heard people on this board toss around numbers like 7 mil, but I believe his qualified offer sheet for next year is like 5.9 mil so if I had to guess I'd say 5.9 is bjs summer cap hold...
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#250 » by M-C-G » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:20 pm

whatthe_buck!? wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:we cant afford jennings and monta unless we skip the big splash fa like smith. it cant be done.

sign smith
s/t jennings for a 1st
resign dunleavy

monta @ 11 million
redick @ 8 mil
ish @ 1 mil
smith @ 15 mil
dunleavy @ 4 mil
ersan @ 8 mil
henson @ 2 mil
sanders @ 3 mil
udoh or moute @ 4.5 mil
ayon @ 1.5 mil
#1 @ 2 mil

We'd have 2 first rounders wouldn't we? So 12 player at like 61.5 mil... Anyway, chalk it up to lowered expectations if u want, but with two 1sts going into this years draft and having broken up the BJ-Monta backcourt I would be SUPER happy with this offseason. This plan being executed would be pretty close to a realistic best case scenario. I would like it even more if Monta's 11 mil was the last year of his current contract that he chose to pick up his option on...

In that scenario, we definitely need to draft a PG...Adding Burke, and I am really starting to like the way Kabongo is playing, that would be a fun team for next year. As always, we are two smart moves from having a great team, and two moves from having a rebuild.

Ellis, Kabongo, Ish
Redick, Ellis, Dunleavy
Smith, Dunleavy
Illy, Henson, Gooden
Sanders, Ayon, Udoh
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#251 » by eagle13 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:22 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:if we did trade jennings in a s/t deal for a pick... what would the salary ramifications be regarding the trade exception he'd create. would it be possible to spend up to the cap after that and then have a monster trade exception over the next year as well?

any team that could absorb his salary has no need to give up a 1st they can just sign him outright
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#252 » by whatthe_buck!? » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:24 pm

eagle13 wrote:

any team that could absorb his salary has no need to give up a 1st they can just sign him outright

No, they would have to give something up in a trade if they would want to assure themselves the bucks won't match the offer. BJ is a restricted FA.
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#253 » by eagle13 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:31 pm

sign smith
s/t jennings for a 1st
resign dunleavy

monta @ 11 million
redick @ 8 mil
ish @ 1 mil
smith @ 15 mil
dunleavy @ 4 mil
ersan @ 8 mil
henson @ 2 mil
sanders @ 3 mil
udoh or moute @ 4.5 mil
ayon @ 1.5 mil
#1 @ 2 mil

Smith wants max that's 17mil
Reddick will get no less than 9mil
as stated any team that could absorb BJs salary (w/ no salary coming back) has no need to give up a 1st they can just sign him outright
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#254 » by eagle13 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:35 pm

whatthe_buck!? wrote:
eagle13 wrote:

No, they would have to give something up in a trade if they would want to assure themselves the bucks won't match the offer. BJ is a restricted FA.

they call our bluff - if we've signed Smith we can't afford both BJ & Ellis - Teams wait & sign whoever bucks don't sign
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,773

Post#255 » by emunney » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:55 pm

Given the S&T created a trade exception, yes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#256 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Mar 8, 2013 10:35 pm

eagle13 wrote:

sign smith
s/t jennings for a 1st
resign dunleavy

monta @ 11 million
redick @ 8 mil
ish @ 1 mil
smith @ 15 mil
dunleavy @ 4 mil
ersan @ 8 mil
henson @ 2 mil
sanders @ 3 mil
udoh or moute @ 4.5 mil
ayon @ 1.5 mil
#1 @ 2 mil

Smith wants max that's 17mil
Reddick will get no less than 9mil
as stated any team that could absorb BJs salary (w/ no salary coming back) has no need to give up a 1st they can just sign him outright

who cares what smith wants. its what he gets is what im trying to guess. at 16 mil in year one thats 16,17,18,19,20 over 5 years anyway. hed get over 17 mil in my scenario anyway.
redick wil get a deal averaging 8-10 mil. if we start him at 8 with raises he will stay.

if we wait to sign smith we can then force teams to barter on jennings and then when we move him we can s/t smith into the trade exception jennings creates and whatever cash is left over under the cap. we will have to get creative but its all very reasonable. and the numbers i put out there for contracts are VERY competitive offers imo.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#257 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Mar 9, 2013 9:02 pm

I haven't participated much in this thread because I could see lots of pros and cons to all scenarios. But I have finally decided on one major move that I really, really want the Bucks to do. That's to sign-and-trade Jennings, along with their own pick and Udoh, to New Orleans or Phoenix for their draft pick. Is that realistic?
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#258 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:35 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I haven't participated much in this thread because I could see lots of pros and cons to all scenarios. But I have finally decided on one major move that I really, really want the Bucks to do. That's to sign-and-trade Jennings, along with their own pick and Udoh, to New Orleans or Phoenix for their draft pick. Is that realistic?

No way Phoenix gives up their pick for Jennings and some parts. Here in Phoenix that draft pick is the fans only hope/bright spot. Even this terrible FO/Ownership isn't dumb enough to p1ss the fans off that bad by dealing this pick. I wouldn't be shocked though if they had some interest in Jennings but with the way Dragic has been playing of late that interest might be fading.

NO might have interest but I would assume, as I mentioned in another thread, they would most likely want to move Gordon in a S&T for Jennings.

Sacramento or Dallas are probably the most likely of the loto teams to have any interest in moving their pick for Jennings.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#259 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 am

Wants this offseason: Sign Larry Sanders to a 5 year extension. Sign and trade Jennings if someone wants to give him over 10M per year. If he goes into FA and doesn't see the money he thinks he's going to get then I would be open to resigning him for under 10 a year. If Monta opts out let him walk. If he opts in then it all depends on if Jennings is coming back whether you trade him or not. You can't have both on the team next year. I don't believe the Josh Smith talk and really doubt he's a buck next year. I'm kind of torn on if I would want Smith and can talk myself into him being a good addition or a stupid one. If they do get Smith I think they should deal Ersan.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#260 » by CanadaBucks » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:55 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I haven't participated much in this thread because I could see lots of pros and cons to all scenarios. But I have finally decided on one major move that I really, really want the Bucks to do. That's to sign-and-trade Jennings, along with their own pick and Udoh, to New Orleans or Phoenix for their draft pick. Is that realistic?

I guess you're talking about 2014 pick as you can't S&T prior to the draft.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks