ImageImage

Visualizing a championship

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Visualizing a championship 

Post#1 » by Swan Vox » Wed Jun 5, 2013 10:48 pm

With things feeling bleek around here lately, I thought I would see if I could try and jumpstart a shift in Bucks-fan consciousness. I am a firm believer in positive visualization and the power of belief. I have seen miraculous things happen as the result of a collective set of intentions. That being said, vision boarding is one of the fundamental techniques associated with manifesting intentions, so I thought this might be a good place to put some aspirational images associated with the Bucks. Feel free to add your own!

For Luck: : )

Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,787

Re: Visualizing a championship 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jun 5, 2013 10:54 pm

Someone else can put Herb Kohl's name on a gravestone for a witty response, I'm too lazy.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Bulldog424
Junior
And1: 34

Post#3 » by Bulldog424 » Wed Jun 5, 2013 11:03 pm

gyp
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#4 » by gyp » Wed Jun 5, 2013 11:08 pm

jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#5 » by jtrinaldi » Wed Jun 5, 2013 11:40 pm

Asher
Starter
And1: 159

Post#6 » by Asher » Wed Jun 5, 2013 11:55 pm

Miasma
Rookie
And1: 1,422

Post#7 » by Miasma » Thu Jun 6, 2013 3:26 am

Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#8 » by Sky High » Thu Jun 6, 2013 4:07 am

bullox
Banned User
And1: 522

Post#9 » by bullox » Thu Jun 6, 2013 1:26 pm

It was a good try Swanvox. Some people aren't ready for it yet.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#10 » by MiltownHawkeye » Thu Jun 6, 2013 2:22 pm

I would be able to visualize a championship, but I don't think my dealer is going to be stocked until next week at the earliest.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Swan Vox » Thu Jun 6, 2013 3:39 pm

bullox wrote:It was a good try Swanvox. Some people aren't ready for it yet.

I understand the state of the franchise. I am on here every day reading about the in's and out's of this organization, the dynamics of the front-office, ect... I am a die-hard that watches over 60 Bucks games a year via league pass. I feel like there is a sense of powerlessness here among fans lately. I thought this would be a good exercise in putting our best foot forward and collectively starting to see what it would be like for the Bucks to reach the highest level of success. I know it is a gigantic leap from where we are now. But it starts with a seed being planted in the collective imagination. Expect the best. Realize that the heights of success ARE possible here and have happened before:

I challenge everyone on here to take a few minutes out of their day and just meditate on what it would look and feel like to have a championship team back here in Milwaukee. See the shower of confetti, feel the electricity in the stadium, see the players lifting the Larry O'Brien trophy and smiling. I know it may seem hoaky to some of you, but what harm could it do?

Take back some of your energetic power and release the loser & victim mentality. We are a part of this.

Revere The Deer.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#12 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jun 6, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm just thinking back to Game 6 in 2010 when we could've clinched at home vs the Hawks.

I pledged to run thru the streets in my underwear.

Walking out of the Bradley Center I knew we were losing Game 7.

Such disappointment.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Swan Vox » Thu Jun 6, 2013 3:58 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I'm just thinking back to Game 6 in 2010 when we could've clinched at home vs the Hawks.

Such disappointment.

I was there at game 3. Drove up 6 hours to be there from eastern Michigan. The excitement in the building was incredible. One of the best experiences I've had as a fan. I know this organization can be great again. We as fans are just looking for any reason to have hope again. Change starts from within, so I am visualizing the level of success that I'd like to see.
yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Post#14 » by yoshii8 » Thu Jun 6, 2013 4:02 pm

Why would we visualize a championship when every person associated w/ the Bucks refuses to say that word? It's obviously not a goal of our franchise.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Swan Vox » Thu Jun 6, 2013 4:13 pm

http://www.articlesbase.com/sports-and- ... 60889.html

To the same extent that attending to the health needs of the body are the foundation of a good training regimen, mental focus, concentration and visualization are the keys to success. Most people are familiar with the saying that sports is 90% mental and 10% physical. Why is it then that so many athletes fail to give attention to mental training? That 90% figure should be pretty hard to overlook yet it often is. By studying trancendant athletes and sports stars, it becomes apparent that the common edge they have over competition indeed does begin mentally.

Jerry West, the NBA Logo, had such a penchant for hitting buzzer beaters he was nicknamed ‘Mr. Clutch’. In one memorable game in which his team was trailing the Knicks with a few seconds left in an NBA Finals game, West took an inbound pass and shot from 60 feet at the buzzer. Knicks guard Walt Clyde Frazier recalls thinking: “The man’s crazy. He looks determined. He thinks it’s really going in!”. Of course, it did go in, sending the crowd reeling and the game to overtime. One time, when asked about his ability to frequently hit the big shot, West revealed the root of that confidence Frazier witnessed. West explained that he had already made those shots time after time in his mind. Jerry West, like so many other legends the such as Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Phil Jackson, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky and countless others, realized the power of visualization.

What is Visualization?

Visualization is known as guided imagery, meditation, and by many other names. A popular visualization for athletes is the mental rehearsal of sporting events while ‘intending’ a desired outcome. Amazingly, research has revealed that visualization can actually enhance performance to nearly the same extent as physical practice. A study conducted by Dr. Blaslotto at the University Of Chicago is an intriguing example.

The goal of Dr. Blaslotto‘s study was to determine the effects of visualization on sports performance. As a performance measure for this experiment, the researchers chose the free throw percentage of a group of basketball players. First, to establish a basis for the study, the current free-throw success rate of each of the subjects was tested and recorded. Three groups were then established, and the athletes were assigned to one of the groups at random. After 30 days of testing and retesting, the results were as follows:

The third group, who neither physically practiced or visualized shooting free-throws, showed no increase in percentage.

The first group which physically shot free-throws for an hour daily, collectively improved thier free-throw shooting by 24%.

The second group, which practiced daily by visualizing shooting and making free-throws, collectively improved thier free-throw shooting by a shocking 23% without having physically shot a basketball!

Another similiar study was done by the Cleveland Clinic Foundation exploring the effects of visualization on muscle strength. The results of that study also astonishingly revealed increases to muscle strength through visualization, further reinforcing the fact that mental training is actually as impactful a tool in performance enhancement as physical training.

How does Visualization work?

With each experience, a neural pathway is formed. Neural Pathways in short, are clusters of neurons in the brain that work together to create a memory or a learned behavior. Dr. Blaslotto explained, “As your brain conceives of an act, it generates impulses that prompt neurons to ‘perform’ the movement being imagined by transmitting those impulses from the brain to the muscles.” This in turn creates a habit, or neural pathway in the brain, programming your body’s actions as if you physically performed the activity....
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Swan Vox » Thu Jun 6, 2013 4:33 pm

This is not my video, but there are some good excerpts he reads from Phil Jackson's book at the 2:00 mark. I feel like as fans, we have just as much mental power to enact change as the players themselves.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BteUlXq_5Ow[/youtube]
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#17 » by Sky High » Thu Jun 6, 2013 7:34 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I'm just thinking back to Game 6 in 2010 when we could've clinched at home vs the Hawks.

Such disappointment.

Yup. I was at that game too.

I was so excited for the game. The building was absolutely electric.

They lose the series and it's been all downhill since then if you think about it. Really hope things turn around this year.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Swan Vox » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:57 am

Bumping this thread in light of the new Hunt article. Keep the championship vibes coming folks. We're going to be a part of this renaissance. Just have to start believing it's possible.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,549

Post#19 » by th87 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Man, if I could manifest my reality through visualization, I wouldn't use it up on the Bucks!

Who am I kidding - yeah I would.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Swan Vox » Tue Aug 6, 2013 7:06 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/364766076417998848[/tweet]

Bumping this in light of the quotes from today's press conference. I think it is significant that the Bucks are at least talking about a championship being the goal. It's been quite some time before we've heard those words out of this organization and I applaud them for putting it out there. I understand that we still have a long way to go, but perhaps it's a sign of meaningful change in the franchise's philosophy. In my estimation it's much better to aim high & see what happens rather than aim low (and still fail).

So far, I am impressed with Larry Drew & hope that he and Morway are bringing in higher expectations & the stones to follow through with a coherent plan.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks