McGlocklin Cutting Back/Moncrief Added

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,035

McGlocklin Cutting Back/Moncrief Added 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Milwaukee Bucks television broadcaster Jon McGlocklin, who is entering his 38th season in that role, will split game analyst duties this season and beyond with former Bucks guard Sidney Moncrief.

Fox Sports Wisconsin and the Bucks are expected to make the announcement about the shared duties of McGlocklin and Moncrief on Tuesday.

McGlocklin plans to work about 36 games in total this season, most of them at home. Moncrief will work about 36 as well, most of them on the road.

Jim Paschke, who is in 28th season with the team, remains the TV play-by-play voice of the Bucks.

McGlocklin will continue his work with the MACC Fund.

“I’m very pleased with it,” McGlocklin said about the new schedule. “I’m happy. They are. And we are just going to go like this until somebody doesn’t like it.”

McGlocklin, 70, wanted a reduction in the number of games he calls because he has wearied of the travel. He worked out the current arrangement with Bucks owner Herb Kohl and Fox Sports Wisconsin, which carries Bucks games.

“He knew and was very sensitive and caring that I wanted to get off the road after 48 years,” McGlocklin said, referring to Kohl.

In recent years, McGlocklin has taken a handful of telecasts off each season, with different analysts subbing for him, including Moncrief, Tony Smith and Jim Chones.

McGlocklin, 70, began as a Bucks broadcaster following his retirement from professional basketball in 1976. He played eight seasons with the Bucks, including 1970-’71, the team’s championship season. His 11-year National Basketball Association career spanned 11 years, including his first two seasons in Cincinnati and the following one in San Diego.

He is thought to have the longest consecutive tenure of any current team broadcaster in the NBA.

Because of the length and continuity of his association with the Bucks, he is to that team in some ways what Brewers radio broadcaster Bob Uecker is to the Milwaukee Brewers.

McGlocklin’s tenure with the Bucks makes him the face of the franchise to some degree.

McGlocklin and Paschke will work the first two Bucks games on the road, Oct. 30 at the Knicks and Nov. 1 at Boston.

Moncrief, 55, is one of the most popular players in Bucks’ franchise history. He was drafted by Milwaukee fifth overall in the 1979 NBA draft. He played for the Bucks until 1989. He ended his career with the Atlanta Hawks, playing the 1990-’91 season for them.

Moncrief was hired as an assistant coach of the Bucks in 2011 when Scott Skiles was head coach.

He has served as a head coach at the University of Arkansas-Little Rock and of the Fort Worth Flyers of the NBA’s D-League. He worked as a shooting coach for the Golden State Warriors.

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,273

Re: McGlocklin Cutting Back/Moncrief Added 

Post#2 » by humanrefutation » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:17 pm

I like Jonny Mac, but I'm sure the travel is starting to get to him. If only they'd replace Pashcke.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#3 » by Captain Erv » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Moncrief is better than Tony Smith, at least. I'd love if Davis/Krause made the switch from radio to TV.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,909

Post#4 » by fansinceforever » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:23 pm

It seems like Johnny Mac is getting a little sick of the way things are as well. I don't blame him but I wish he would stay on full time.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#5 » by Badgerlander » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Love Mac, but completely understandable. Honestly don't remember Moncrief doing a game but he can't be worse than Tony Smith who is turrble.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I was very worried Smith would get the gig once Mac stepped down. Or Joe Wolf. Ugh. Hope Sid does well, I've always liked him.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Since Krause only does home games on the radio I wonder if he was asked about doing road TV games. He'd have been a good pick but I don't know if he'd mesh with Paschke.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#8 » by yuedar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm

ugh, he will be sorely missed on the road.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,900

Post#9 » by emunney » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:46 pm

This is outstanding news. IMO this is a great fit for Moncrief and for Bucks' fans. Moncrief will be one of the best local color commentators in the league from day one.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,022

Post#10 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Only 72 televised games this year? I wonder how many games will have a HS flag football game on in its place again?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,276

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:13 pm

I really like the choice of Sid. We could have done much, much worse.

Just hard to see those ages in the article and think Mac is 70 and Sid is 55. I'm still visualizing being at Mecca in May 1987, watching Sid toss Danny Ainge to the ground after Ainge took a cheap shot on him in Game 6 of the playoffs *

*Last home game coached by Don Nelson. Once Nellie left, the Herb Kohl era began to blossom.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#12 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Glad he's sticking around after the rumblings that made it seem like he might not return. Jon McGlocklin..He "gets it" and brings intelligent consideration to his work.
Go Bucks!
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#13 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm surprised that Mac is doing any games. I heard he was done. This could be his final season.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,147

Post#14 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Glad Moncrief is back someway. Wish Jim was the one taking a break. At least with Jon you got some seriously funny reactions to the stupid **** the Bucks did on the court rather then the constant Herb Kohl suck fest that comes out of Jim's mouth.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#15 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 pm

When is Jim going to get tired of the travel?
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,139

Post#16 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:When is Jim going to get tired of the travel?

I'm afraid we're stuck with Paschke for the long haul, unless there's new ownership or some drastic change in the organization.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,778

Post#17 » by AussieBuck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I know I want him to have more time to post here! :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
TheWig
Sixth Man
And1: 593

Post#18 » by TheWig » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:18 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Since Krause only does home games on the radio I wonder if he was asked about doing road TV games. He'd have been a good pick but I don't know if he'd mesh with Paschke.

How about replace Jim with Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,878

Post#19 » by blazza18 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:39 pm

I remember when I used to like Paschke calling the games. Now I look forward to getting the other teams homer announcers.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#20 » by Captain Erv » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Well, we know how much smoke he can blow out of his ass, so I imagine he'll be tough to slow down.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks