ImageImage

OT | Cars

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 168

Re: OT | Cars 

Post#341 » by fam3381 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 am

Licensed to Il wrote:I have never been a SUV guy, but I find myself with four kids, and living in the mountains, in a place with 10 months a year of snow.

Luckily I don’t have to drive much, my annual mileage is very low.

What is the best full size SUV?

There are a ton of options so I won't pretend that there's one answer, but I leased a Dodge Durango R/T a few years back and we liked it enough that we ended up just buying out the lease a couple months ago. It's a bit smaller than a Ford Expedition/Chevy Suburban type but the three rows are more than enough for us (1 kid, 2 dogs, annual road trips from Texas to Wisconsin). Doesn't have the "luxury" of top end brands, but we got it in black with the Blacktop package so I like the sporty/aggressive look, nice creature comforts (ventilated seats, middle row captain's chairs, GPS), and generally it has really nice driving dynamics for a 3-row SUV. I think we ended up getting it for around $40k which felt like good value relative to other 3-row SUVs.

I'm definitely not an SUV guy per se, but it's definitely nice having a big vehicle for road trips and carting around random crap from Lowe's. It's also not lost on me that one of my cars is electric and the other is a gas-guzzling V8 SUV :) We also looked at the Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee but decided we wanted the third row and liked the ride of the Durango over the Explorer. Interestingly, I'm not sure I'd recommend shelling out for the V8 R/T in hindsight -- the power and engine/exhaust note are fun, but the V6 should be enough for most people. We've had a very good experience in terms of reliability through 50k miles (basically just oil changes and regular maintenance), but it's also not a Honda or Toyota in that department.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,302

Post#342 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 am

SupremeHustle wrote:Getting a new car in June. My list to test drive are:

Infiniti Q50
Caddy ATS
Mercedes CLA
Audi A3
BMW 3 Series

Anyone have any of those? I like mid-size sedans. I may add the Hybrid Ford Fusion to the mix. My buddy has a Chevy Volt that keeps him away from gas stations. I like that idea, too. Anything else I should consider? I read that Acura has a new TLX coming. Don't know when, though.

Wow. I had weird taste six years ago. I ended up with a Lexus IS. From that I went to a BMW M240I (my favorite car ever) Current car is a BMW X4M Competition. I love it so much, but I really hate it, too. But I love it. But I can't wait to trade it in. Or keep it forever.

I want a 911 or Cayman next.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,696

Post#343 » by Serge28 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:56 am

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 168

Post#344 » by fam3381 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 am

SupremeHustle wrote:

Infiniti Q50
Caddy ATS
Mercedes CLA
Audi A3
BMW 3 Series

Anyone have any of those? I like mid-size sedans. I may add the Hybrid Ford Fusion to the mix. My buddy has a Chevy Volt that keeps him away from gas stations. I like that idea, too. Anything else I should consider? I read that Acura has a new TLX coming. Don't know when, though.

Wow. I had weird taste six years ago. I ended up with a Lexus IS. From that I went to a BMW M240I (my favorite car ever) Current car is a BMW X4M Competition. I love it so much, but I really hate it, too. But I love it. But I can't wait to trade it in. Or keep it forever.

Get the Taycan my dude :)

Also, I drove BMWs for 16 years before I switched to my Tesla, but even I had no idea an X4M Comp even existed -- and damn, it's faster than most 911s 0-60 lol....
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#345 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 am

fam3381 wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

Infiniti Q50
Caddy ATS
Mercedes CLA
Audi A3
BMW 3 Series

Get the Taycan my dude :)

Also, I drove BMWs for 16 years before I switched to my Tesla, but even I had no idea an X4M Comp even existed -- and damn, it's faster than most 911s 0-60 lol....

It's ridiculous, honestly. It doesn't make any sense what that thing can do. Worst thing about it is how it devours gas.

Also, I'd definitely consider a Taycan next. I actually love that idea.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 953

Post#346 » by Ryan5UW » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:46 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:

Infiniti Q50
Caddy ATS
Mercedes CLA
Audi A3
BMW 3 Series

Why the love/hate with the X4M? The lease on my Audi SQ5 is coming up in a few months, and the BMW is one of the options I'm considering.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,109

Post#347 » by LittleRooster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

All you guys in your fancy cars and I’m livin’ my best life in my Subaru Legacy

I’d love a Beamer or VW GTI if I could afford it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#348 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

Infiniti Q50
Caddy ATS
Mercedes CLA
Audi A3
BMW 3 Series

Why the love/hate with the X4M? The lease on my Audi SQ5 is coming up in a few months, and the BMW is one of the options I'm considering.

Gas.

That's it.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#349 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm so old that it's time to buy my son a car. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Golf GTI? I need him to have something nice and quick enough that I might want to drive it on occasion, but not nice enough that the police automatically think he stole it. The GTI seems like that kind of car. Thought about the entry-level Tesla but hear too many bad things about the build quality.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,543

Post#350 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:40 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I'll post impressions (of the XC-40) once I have it and put it through some drives. I love my current car, but am ready for something new. My dad passed me the 'love getting new cars' gene :D

I **** love my car. There, that's my impression.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#351 » by crkone » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:58 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I'm so old that it's time to buy my son a car. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Golf GTI? I need him to have something nice and quick enough that I might want to drive it on occasion, but not nice enough that the police automatically think he stole it. The GTI seems like that kind of car. Thought about the entry-level Tesla but hear too many bad things about the build quality.

How about a Fiat 500? The Abarths can supposedly do 0-60 in nearly 6 seconds.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,619

Post#352 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I'm so old that it's time to buy my son a car. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Golf GTI? I need him to have something nice and quick enough that I might want to drive it on occasion, but not nice enough that the police automatically think he stole it. The GTI seems like that kind of car. Thought about the entry-level Tesla but hear too many bad things about the build quality.

I have a 2019 Golf GTI SE as the first car I actually bought and I have fun driving it. It’s got pretty good acceleration (I know next to nothing about cars). That what you’re looking for?
#FreeChuckDiesel
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#353 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:49 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:

I have a 2019 Golf GTI SE as the first car I actually bought and I have fun driving it. It’s got pretty good acceleration (I know next to nothing about cars). That what you’re looking for?

Yep. Good acceleration. Good handling. Police don't double-take.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#354 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:50 am

crkone wrote:

I don't think I could sell him on that. Too small.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,543

Post#355 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:02 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
crkone wrote:

I don't think I could sell him on that. Too small.

It seems that the Civic Hatch, which is an outstandingly fun to drive car, is in the range you're thinking of. It corners beautifully, has lots of great tech, and it has Honda reliability (unless your AC breaks in July :evil: ). I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in the market.

ETA: I had slate gray with black rims. It was absolutely badass.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#356 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:50 am

fam3381 wrote:
Licensed to Il wrote:I have never been a SUV guy, but I find myself with four kids, and living in the mountains, in a place with 10 months a year of snow.

There are a ton of options so I won't pretend that there's one answer, but I leased a Dodge Durango R/T a few years back and we liked it enough that we ended up just buying out the lease a couple months ago. It's a bit smaller than a Ford Expedition/Chevy Suburban type but the three rows are more than enough for us (1 kid, 2 dogs, annual road trips from Texas to Wisconsin). Doesn't have the "luxury" of top end brands, but we got it in black with the Blacktop package so I like the sporty/aggressive look, nice creature comforts (ventilated seats, middle row captain's chairs, GPS), and generally it has really nice driving dynamics for a 3-row SUV. I think we ended up getting it for around $40k which felt like good value relative to other 3-row SUVs.

I'm definitely not an SUV guy per se, but it's definitely nice having a big vehicle for road trips and carting around random crap from Lowe's. It's also not lost on me that one of my cars is electric and the other is a gas-guzzling V8 SUV :) We also looked at the Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee but decided we wanted the third row and liked the ride of the Durango over the Explorer. Interestingly, I'm not sure I'd recommend shelling out for the V8 R/T in hindsight -- the power and engine/exhaust note are fun, but the V6 should be enough for most people. We've had a very good experience in terms of reliability through 50k miles (basically just oil changes and regular maintenance), but it's also not a Honda or Toyota in that department.

I have a buddy who buys a new 4Runner every 2 years and he actually gets more trade in value than he owes on the financing every time (by about $2,000 dollars). I know they don’t have all of the tech that some of the other brands have, but it’s still a Toyota.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,537

Post#357 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 pm

I just bought a 2016 Honda Civic with 29,051 miles. Thank you.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 953

Post#358 » by Ryan5UW » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
fam3381 wrote:

I have a buddy who buys a new 4Runner every 2 years and he actually gets more trade in value than he owes on the financing every time (by about $2,000 dollars). I know they don’t have all of the tech that some of the other brands have, but it’s still a Toyota.

I’d give the 4Runners a good look, that’s likely what I’d get if I lived somewhere like that. They’re good quality, super reliable... you can trust them. No offense to anyone who likes them, but I can’t recommend Jeeps. We’ve had several over the years (slow learners) and had multiple issues with every one of them.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,343

Post#359 » by ackypoo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am

i drive a poor mans gti, hyundai elantra gt n line. its fun to drive.

but, if price isnt as big of an obstacle for you, consider a golf R.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#360 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 am

ackypoo wrote:

i drive a poor mans gti, hyundai elantra gt n line. its fun to drive.

but, if price isnt as big of an obstacle for you, consider a golf R.

Ha. I'm not getting that kid an R. He's lucky I'm considering a GTI.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks