OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#501 » by Chapter29 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:31 pm

MoreTrife wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:I am waiting for DirecTv now to launch its dvr before testing.

I am using DirecTV Now. Definitely wait until they have DVR. The on demand options are spotty. I use it for FSWI and it's good for that.

I heard its going to be a bit on this as the early results on their DVR testing was terrible.
Giannis
is
UponUs
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#502 » by tiderulz » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:59 pm

M-C-G wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Asking the hive a question;
What is the best option for wanting to be able to;
-Have DVR accessible in every room
-NFL Redzone or equivalent
-Local sports available (Brewers, Bucks, Packers)
-Optional to have access to HBO

I have to believe there are options that I could try. We have Spectrum and like the spectrum app on ROKU on our TVs, works pretty well, just not sure what am I paying all this money for now that streaming has gotten so much better.

Appreciate any thoughts or any questions I have not thought of.

i have a Tablo, that is an over-the-air DVR, and it has a Roku app, so you can play recorded or live TV from any Roku. no too expensive, i made my money back from it and the Roku's in less than a year when i quit cable. Tablo has an easy to use interface and recording schedule. I coupled that with PS Vue (for my sports among other things)

So if I might ask, what are you getting from Tablo that you aren't getting from Playstation Vue? I have a friend that did PSV and it sounded like a pretty good option, but didn't dig too deep

i get the channels I get from my HD antenna (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, Peachtree TV, and 2 more). PS Vue didnt have local channels on the 4 major carriers until this year. It is nice that I can pause TV at any time, even if i havent scheduled it to record (bathroom, food, knock at the door). And can record anything over those channels too. PSVue has 'on demand" shows that you can watch, but doesnt always have everything that is played.
Jimmmycrackcorn
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#503 » by Jimmmycrackcorn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm

what's the best service option for being able to stream FSN Bucks/Brewers games?

Is PS Vue, or Youtube TV able to get Fox Sports north/Fox Sports Wisconsin??

Is SlingTV/Sling Blue the cheapest option if all you want to add is Fox Sports Wisconsin?
Jimmmycrackcorn
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#504 » by Jimmmycrackcorn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 pm

looks like you have to install the fox sports go app on your TV,and then use your playstation credentials to make it work through vue

wonder if you have to do the same on youtube TV..... Hmmmm?
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#505 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Tried YouTube TV..hated the interface

PSVue has been the best option for me. It sucks that fox6 was taken off, but any NFL games I can just watch thru the fox sports go app. Use the antenna when I want to watch the news.

I don't even notice really that we dropped cable. The only thing I don't like is not going on Twitter during sports because of spoilers.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#506 » by bhchrist » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm

I have been testing out YouTube TV on a Roku Ultra and love it. With the announced additions of the Turner channels and MLB Network and NBA TV, I am finally dropping DirecTV. Digging the Cloud DVR and the separate family recording features. As far as Fox Sports, it was direct through YouTube TV. No additional app required.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#507 » by PANDEMONEUM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 pm

do we talk about Kodi here?
or is that foreboden?
bhchrist
Sophomore

Post#508 » by bhchrist » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm

PANDEMONEUM wrote:do we talk about Kodi here?
or is that foreboden?

Are you able to get the sort of programming and shows being discussed legally without violation of any broadcaster or company's copyrights? If so, great! Otherwise, probably not the best idea.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#509 » by ackypoo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm

kodi isnt illegal in and of itself. you can use it for legal purposes. theres no reason not to talk about it.

cars are legal, driving cars is legal. speeding and blowing signs is not.

same thing. :D
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#510 » by PANDEMONEUM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 pm

antenna for local channels + netflix + Aprime + dvds + borrowing dvds +
sisters at&t password for online viewing of her paid channels (rarely used now) +
kodi + streaming links tv/movies/sports + reddit streams + network websites showing their shows

computer to TV with HDMI cord

all tv shows, and really every single one ever made
all movies ".............................................."
every sporting event

just paying for netflix and Aprime and the occasional dvd of a beloved movie

kodi and streaming sites can be a hassle.
especially, if ur looking for plug and play or just turn to a channel and it works.
reddit streams for LIVE sports have been fantastic. HD even.
sports replays, sometimes not easily found.
but i have sources even for German Bundesliga soccer matches, of teams not called Bayern Munich.
Brewers and Bucks replays r a bit difficult to find.

it sounds like a huge hassle,
but after uve used all of these things a dozen times or so,
its not a problem.

i also like to binge on tv shows, after they get to season 3, or people have told me something is good.
i dont need to watch every week, or follow along with the masses.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#511 » by WRau1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 pm

The key is using the add-ons that are Reddit scrapers for sports. I never have had a problem finding any televised game.

Sling is still my favorite option for any subscription based streaming service, if the teams you watch are local.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
DickCunningham
Rookie
And1: 238

Post#512 » by DickCunningham » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 am

I still have youtubetv. It does everything I need . I was able to "move about the country" for local stations using a gps plugin app from the chrome store. Now that youtube came to Madison, I get the local channels. I am using it with chromecast without any issues. The DVR also works as expected. The only issues I've had are with Packer games. Sometimes, FOX and CBS don't show the games locally. Usually,I can find another city that shows the Packers, and I just change the GPS coordinates to get the game.
"Our goal is to become a championship team," Kidd said.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#513 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 am

Keep the illegal stream talk out of this thread. Thank you.

I'm going to give YouTubeTV a shot soon I think. Cloud DVR is what I need.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
bhchrist
Sophomore

Post#514 » by bhchrist » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Keep the illegal stream talk out of this thread. Thank you.

I'm going to give YouTubeTV a shot soon I think. Cloud DVR is what I need.

I am starting to get used to the interface, but it is really growing on me. After decades of cable or DirecTV programming menus, the lack of channel numbers is fantastic. I tested the "favorite team" recording option. I just clicked on the Library folder and it shows previously recorded as well as upcoming. Sure enough, Bucks vs Denver, UW vs Purdue and UW vs Minnesota are all there.

There is no ability to adjust the recording time (extra 30 minutes, start early, etc), but when I recorded the UW Michigan game Sunday, the total recording time was 2:19, not 2:00. Interested to see what happens with a longer overtime game.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#515 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Interesting. I rarely record a game, I almost always watch sports live, but sometimes I have to record and I always pad it just in case. And I always record games I go to. Right now I have the lowest Uverse package that has FSN and along with Amazon (you get a lot of good stuff with a Prime membership) and Netflix I'm pretty happy. But I'm always looking for something better/cheaper.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
bhchrist
Sophomore

Post#516 » by bhchrist » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Pretty much what I do as well, except I often record and start watching mid second quarter to catch up live. Not rewatching as many UW Hoops games these day after getting home for the Kohl. I am looking forward to the ability to watch Bucks and Brewers games when I travel. Tempted to grab a Chromecast just for that alone. Using the Roku Ultra (direct ethernet) on the main TVs has been really nice. Second one arrives today and then I am cancelling DirecTV. $150/mo down to $35 makes it easy to get two Ultras.
rarjake
Junior
And1: 44

Post#517 » by rarjake » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 pm

For all you indoor antenna folks out there, what would you consider to be the best one? I was looking at a few- that have ampllifers built into them, and a 4g lte filter that is supposed to help with the signal- the best one i have come across is
https://www.amazon.com/ANTOP-Multi-Directional-Tools-Free-Installation-Performance/dp/B01LSPKWUS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1518717116&sr=8-4&keywords=antop

if anyone has had any success with an ANTOP model would like to know.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#518 » by xTitan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Need some advice, fed up with DIRECTV, was paying $138.00 for TV alone,best they could do is knock off $25 per month for a year, would love to cut the chord, I watch a ton of sports, also DVR a lot of stuff....anyone have any ideas for what would be the best Ave for me and would it save quite a bit off of the $113.00 per month? One more thing, I don't have a smart TV, I've got 58" Panasonic plasma I got about got around New Year's Eve 2011, picture is still so awesome for live events
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#519 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:13 am

xTitan wrote:Need some advice, fed up with DIRECTV, was paying $138.00 for TV alone,best they could do is knock off $25 per month for a year, would love to cut the chord, I watch a ton of sports, also DVR a lot of stuff....anyone have any ideas for what would be the best Ave for me and would it save quite a bit off of the $113.00 per month? One more thing, I don't have a smart TV, I've got 58" Panasonic plasma I got about got around New Year's Eve 2011, picture is still so awesome for live events

Man that seems steep for DirecTV. They knocked $40 off a month if I signed up for 1 year deal. That is coming up soon so curious what they offer.
milwaukee bunks
Senior
And1: 434

Post#520 » by milwaukee bunks » Sun Mar 4, 2018 7:12 pm

DirecTV now offering free 4K Apple TV with 3 months paid

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv/?ref=EaYEz2HRT000AW02S

Return to Milwaukee Bucks