ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#421 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:I cut the cord a few years back and still feel great about the move.

My hardware consists of a Samsung SmartTv and Roku 3.
The programs I stream through (regularly):
Amazon Prime - $99/yr
Split Netflix & HBO Go with a friend - not even sure on the monthly cost but it's dirt cheap
NBA App (league pass) - $200/yr
mlb.tv - use a friend's login
watchespn - use parent's cable login

We pay $65/mo for internet through Time Warner. It's fast and mostly reliable, plus we got a "free" digital converter for all basic channels. WatchESPN sucks but that's the only app that's lacking. Streaming right through the tv for netflix and amazon results in some pretty incredible picture considering it's a stream.

PSVue sounds like a sufficient product though so I may consider that investment soon.

I am looking at doing a similar set-up as my cable/internet is up to $174 per month through TDS. I have internet for like $53 per month if I go separate. I have a Samsung SmartTV. If I'm Madison and I choose the Sling Blue Package will I get Bucks/Brewers games? Also, which Roku Box should I buy and what will I need to download? I can do the research but figured it's better to ask someone who already has it.
CannondaleF400
Rookie
And1: 422

Post#422 » by CannondaleF400 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am

LUKE23 wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:I cut the cord a few years back and still feel great about the move.

Amazon Prime - $99/yr
Split Netflix & HBO Go with a friend - not even sure on the monthly cost but it's dirt cheap

We pay $65/mo for internet through Time Warner. It's fast and mostly reliable, plus we got a "free" digital converter for all basic channels. WatchESPN sucks but that's the only app that's lacking. Streaming right through the tv for netflix and amazon results in some pretty incredible picture considering it's a stream.

PSVue sounds like a sufficient product though so I may consider that investment soon.

I am looking at doing a similar set-up as my cable/internet is up to $174 per month through TDS. I have internet for like $53 per month if I go separate. I have a Samsung SmartTV. If I'm Madison and I choose the Sling Blue Package will I get Bucks/Brewers games? Also, which Roku Box should I buy and what will I need to download? I can do the research but figured it's better to ask someone who already has it.

You can do a 7 day free trial of both Sling and PS Vue. In Milwaukee and both provide Bucks/Brewers games, but Sling will not let you rewind or even pause the games. With PS Vue you watch through the separate Fox Sports Go app, you can rewind and pause but can't DVR games. Went with PS Vue Core and it is $36.77 a month. We have the Roku Streaming Stick 3600R ($50) with a slow connection (5Mpbs) and the games stream ok. Sometimes the quality dips or we get the loading screen and the app has to be restarted, but its been good for the most part.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#423 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:55 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

Amazon Prime - $99/yr

I've heard good things about the quality of Vue and Sling but semantics, i.e. Bucks/Brewers games, I'm unsure of. I see 'Sling Blue' includes Fox Sports for "select markets" which seemingly means what state do you live in. Sounds like you'd get FSW.

If you know anyone with a cable subscription who is willing to lend out their info, that's another route as well and what I'm currently doing. WatchESPN, FSGo, BTN2Go require a provider login and I can access all three thanks to my buddy's parents :rock: . There's no TNT or TBS app on the Roku so some basketball and baseball playoffs would be unavailable; though that Blue package would cover you on all these aside from BTN if my earlier assumption about Fox Sports is correct... Just typing this I've almost talked myself into it.

As for hardware, the Roku is superb and comes ready to use as soon as it connects to your network. If your set is a 4K, get one of the Premiere, Premiere+, or Ultra. I plan to retire my 3 soon and upgrade. "Channels" (as the apps are called) are easy to add and download in seconds. Between the tv/roku every app you want should be available.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,122

Post#424 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Ok so I'm going to try the free trials of Vue and DirecTV Now this week. If anyone has used both, a short comparison would be much appreciated. Neither service offers Fox Sports Wisconsin? I'll need to use the Fox Sports Go App and a different piece of hardware to watch Brewers and Bucks games? Do I need an Apple TV or just a Smart TV? Thanks.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#425 » by crkone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 pm

What I've noticed at different friends' houses

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#426 » by Lippo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm

So, what do you folks think about the ISP Privacy Bill soon to get overturned.

Time for a VPN me thinks....

Don't want to go to jail for Kodi....
crkone
RealGM

Post#427 » by crkone » Thu Apr 6, 2017 12:35 pm

YouTube TV has launched in a few major markets but should be nationwide soon enough. Good news with it though:

Now, YouTube has announced it will be adding AMC, BBC America, FC, Sundance TV, WE tv, and BBC World News to the service at no additional cost. Currently, YouTube TV only has four "add-on" channels that come with an extra fee, including Showtime and Fox Soccer Plus (sorry, no HBO yet). No official date for the inclusion of these new networks has been announced, but they will arrive "soon after launch."

If you stick with it past a month, you get a free chromecast. They are still missing Viacom stations which is a problem.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#428 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 6, 2017 12:44 pm

crkone wrote:Image

Exactly why I'm willing to pay a little more too.
crkone
RealGM

Post#429 » by crkone » Thu Apr 6, 2017 12:46 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
crkone wrote:Image

Exactly why I'm willing to pay a little more too.

Yeah the one thing people don't think about is arbitrary data caps that ISPs are placing on them. After half a month of great streaming they bottleneck you after you reach 22 gigs or so.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,269

Post#430 » by soboMP3 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:31 pm

I must say, after weathering the disaster-storm that is DirecTV Now, the service has become fantastic. I am very pleased they added Fox Sports Wisconsin, and not just having to use a separate app like Vue, its an actual channel in the guide. Buffering has become but a distant memory for me even on my old TWC (Spectrum) 16/2 connection. I am hardwired from modem->router->Apple TV. Hoping for Roku support to come soon for our second TV (a TCL Roku TV).

Also, I have not ever seen any bandwidth bottlenecking using TWC/Spectrum and we probably use the service 3-4 hours a night. The merger specifically ruled against such practices.
crkone
RealGM

Post#431 » by crkone » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:47 pm

soboMP3 wrote:I must say, after weathering the disaster-storm that is DirecTV Now, the service has become fantastic. I am very pleased they added Fox Sports Wisconsin, and not just having to use a separate app like Vue, its an actual channel in the guide. Buffering has become but a distant memory for me even on my old TWC (Spectrum) 16/2 connection. I am hardwired from modem->router->Apple TV. Hoping for Roku support to come soon for our second TV (a TCL Roku TV).

Also, I have not ever seen any bandwidth bottlenecking using TWC/Spectrum and we probably use the service 3-4 hours a night. The merger specifically ruled against such practices.

TWC was one of the last ISPs that didn't cap data so I hope they do keep that up. The FCC is already allowing requirements of the merger to be eliminated.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/charter-wont-have-to-compete-against-other-isps-thanks-to-fcc-decision/

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,269

Post#432 » by soboMP3 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 3:22 pm

I hope so too. I just ran the Internet Health Test, which is basically a glorified speedtest that uses a number of providers and got a very consistent 20/2 speed average across all 5 tests. I must now be at some sort of 25/2 tier since Spectrum took over, as speedtest.net consistently puts me around 23-24.5 down.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#433 » by tski1972 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 12:26 am

Does anyone know what the deal is with the commercial aired during tonight's Bucks game concerning Charter Spectrum dropping Fox Sports Wisconsin Bucks games?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#434 » by tski1972 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 12:52 am

tski1972 wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the commercial aired during tonight's Bucks game concerning Charter Spectrum dropping Fox Sports Wisconsin Bucks games?

Evidently Fox and Charter are in disagreement over money so Fox Sports WI could go dark as soon as Friday night along with other Fox channels.

More info here... Keepmynets.com
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,382

Post#435 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Apr 7, 2017 1:01 am

Wowz
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#436 » by WRau1 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 2:04 am

Use Kodi and Mobdro, you'll get everything you need for free.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Black_Dragon
Junior
And1: 234

Post#437 » by Black_Dragon » Fri Apr 7, 2017 3:06 am

Just got DirectTv Now this week along with AT&T Internet (DIRECTV doesn't count toward data) and I'm pretty impressed. $55 with HBO, plus you get a free firestick that they send within days. They have FS Wisconsin.

Live in Shorewood so my cheap $15 antenna works perfect for local.

Overall, it's goin to be around $100 after taxes. I'll take it, was paying $140 with Spectrum.

Plus Netflix but I've had that forever so I don't count that.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#438 » by Mags FTW » Fri Apr 7, 2017 4:46 am

CannondaleF400 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

Amazon Prime - $99/yr

You can do a 7 day free trial of both Sling and PS Vue. In Milwaukee and both provide Bucks/Brewers games, but Sling will not let you rewind or even pause the games. With PS Vue you watch through the separate Fox Sports Go app, you can rewind and pause but can't DVR games. Went with PS Vue Core and it is $36.77 a month. We have the Roku Streaming Stick 3600R ($50) with a slow connection (5Mpbs) and the games stream ok. Sometimes the quality dips or we get the loading screen and the app has to be restarted, but its been good for the most part.

I would suggest, especially if you live in an apartment building, that you learn how to tweak your modem's settings. Specifically how to change the power level and channel.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#439 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 7, 2017 6:31 pm

I like that Google has the cloud DVR with no limit. Once they have the channels I want I'd probably make the switch. But I need a reliable DVR option, the only thing I watch live is sports, specifically football. With Bucks games I'll usually record the game (or pause it) and start watching a half hour or so after it starts.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#440 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:17 am

Anyone have any issue with the fox sports go app? I can watch espn from my phone with no issues on my chrome cast, but fox sports now is terrible, any have the same issue?
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks