ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ahagen87
Junior
And1: 4

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#581 » by ahagen87 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:32 am

Looking to maybe cut the cord. I know Hulu Live has local channels that are local to your area, but does YouTube TV have area specific local channels as well?

Also what are people’s choice for streaming? Apple TV, roku, firestick?
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#582 » by midranger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 am

YouTube tv does have local channels. Just made the switch from psvue. It’s much better
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,567

Post#583 » by TroyD92 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 am

ahagen87 wrote:Looking to maybe cut the cord. I know Hulu Live has local channels that are local to your area, but does YouTube TV have area specific local channels as well?

Also what are people’s choice for streaming? Apple TV, roku, firestick?

Roku and Firestick are both solid imo. I prefer ROKU personally, have both.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#584 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:00 am

I'm a Roku fan
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#585 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 am

So I just checked and my Roku has Hulu but not Hulu Live or is there just one Hulu now?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#586 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 am

MickeyDavis wrote:So I just checked and my Roku has Hulu but not Hulu Live or is there just one Hulu now?

There's just one Hulu and Live is an option inside the App.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#587 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 am

Looks like Hulu+ doesn't have Red Zone, NFL Network, NBATV or MLBTV. That blows. Looks like Sling and Fubo have Red Zone.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#588 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Looks like Hulu+ doesn't have Red Zone, NFL Network, NBATV or MLBTV. That blows. Looks like Sling and Fubo have Red Zone.

Yea, I think the big perk of Hulu Live is...getting Hulu. One thing we noticed this morning though is I used to to pay for the non-commercial package that cost $6, and since I got Hulu Live the shows we used to watch commercial free now have 75 second commercials again. That's a legit annoyance.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,254

Post#589 » by Finn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Are the quoted costs for these services (Hulu Live, You Tube TV, etc.), THE cost or are they like cable & add ~$15 to the bill in other fees, taxes, etc.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#590 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 am

Finn wrote:Are the quoted costs for these services (Hulu Live, You Tube TV, etc.), THE cost or are they like cable & add ~$15 to the bill in other fees, taxes, etc.

With PS Vue it's just tax added on, I can't speak for the others.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#591 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Finn wrote:Are the quoted costs for these services (Hulu Live, You Tube TV, etc.), THE cost or are they like cable & add ~$15 to the bill in other fees, taxes, etc.

Hulu has just a couple bucks in taxes.
romsh
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#592 » by romsh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:16 am

It has been about three years now since I "cut the cord" and I have not regretted it at all. For as many years as I did have cable, I will never be happier to have left it. Have recently installed some great apps on my Firestick from this resource . This list has been regularly updated (what I really highly appreciate)
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#593 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

midranger wrote:YouTube tv does have local channels. Just made the switch from psvue. It’s much better

I have PSVue too and really like it. What's better about YouTube tv?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#594 » by buckboy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 pm

So, I'm now seriously considering this, because **** AT&T/DirecTV. Will have a 2 week outage because I tried to add HBO. God forbid I would try to give them more money. Caused pretty much my whole system to take a ****.

Anyway, because of that I added an HD antenna. Locals come in clear as a bell. Can do Netflix/Hulu/HBOGO. Don't really care about any live TV other than sports.

So, my biggest questions are:

-How do I get FSWI?
-How do I get ESPN?
-Would I have any ability to record anything with a Tivo or something equivalent. My main concern here is recording the above channels because I have kids and don't watch much of anything until they go to bed (watch most Bucks games 2-4 hours later, etc).

Any help is very much appreciated.

Edit: After reading through the last few pages and doing minimal research, it seems like HuluTV would work pretty well. Looks like $55/month including HBO. Only remaining questions are:

-50 hours of DVR? Is that right? Upgradable to 200?

-I have 7 TVs (all smart). Presumably it will work on all with a common DVR?

-How does the tv see it? Is it just an app I download, or do I need a roku/firestick to see it (sorry, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff).

-200 mb minimum on speed?
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#595 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm

What's holding me back from Hulu is no NBATV, NFLN, MLBTV and especially no Red Zone. I love Red Zone Channel.
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#596 » by bhchrist » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 pm

buckboy wrote:So, I'm now seriously considering this, because **** AT&T/DirecTV. Will have a 2 week outage because I tried to add HBO. God forbid I would try to give them more money. Caused pretty much my whole system to take a ****.

Anyway, because of that I added an HD antenna. Locals come in clear as a bell. Can do Netflix/Hulu/HBOGO. Don't really care about any live TV other than sports.

-How do I get FSWI?
-How do I get ESPN?
-Would I have any ability to record anything with a Tivo or something equivalent. My main concern here is recording the above channels because I have kids and don't watch much of anything until they go to bed (watch most Bucks games 2-4 hours later, etc).

Edit: After reading through the last few pages and doing minimal research, it seems like HuluTV would work pretty well. Looks like $55/month including HBO. Only remaining questions are:

-How does the tv see it? Is it just an app I download, or do I need a roku/firestick to see it (sorry, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff).

YouTube is unlimited Cloud DVR, NBATV, FSWI, MLB, ESPNs, FS1, Turner channels for March Madness. $40. Can test drive it for free. Just saying. That said, big drawbacks are not NFL or PBS (or HGTV for some).
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#597 » by M-C-G » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Looks like Hulu+ doesn't have Red Zone, NFL Network, NBATV or MLBTV. That blows. Looks like Sling and Fubo have Red Zone.

Yup, I loved Hulu, but no red zone AND on highly rated shows, like Sunday night football, it would constantly lag for me (and I have very good internet set up), which drove me to try PSVue, which is what I have now and am pretty happy. I will say, the user interface on Hulu was just so much better though for helping you find interesting content.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#598 » by buckboy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:22 pm

bhchrist wrote:
buckboy wrote:So, I'm now seriously considering this, because **** AT&T/DirecTV. Will have a 2 week outage because I tried to add HBO. God forbid I would try to give them more money. Caused pretty much my whole system to take a ****.

-How do I get FSWI?
-How do I get ESPN?

YouTube is unlimited Cloud DVR, NBATV, FSWI, MLB, ESPNs, FS1, Turner channels for March Madness. $40. Can test drive it for free. Just saying. That said, big drawbacks are not NFL or PBS (or HGTV for some).

Is it just an app (or just thru the YouTube app)? I mean , I'm sure I can figure that part out I guess.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
bhchrist
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#599 » by bhchrist » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:58 pm

It is an app, separate from YouTube itself. I run it though Roku on my TVs, the website for PCs, and the mobile app on phone and tablet.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#600 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 am

FWIW, girlfriend and I have had major Hulu issues today. Her watching a show, me watching live TV. We both have excellent internet but Hulu's been buffering regularly and the live feed seems much more delayed than usual.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks