ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

BuckHole
Veteran
Posts: 2,650
And1: 981
Joined: Jul 11, 2005
Location: VIP room at Drackenberg's Cigar Bar
 

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#621 » by BuckHole » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:07 pm

ackypoo wrote:finally set up a pc running plex. i remote into it with my chromebook and download stuff. its continually connected through luxembourg. runs to every tv in my house w/ a roku or the samsung smart tv. plex is insanely easy. 9/10.

I recommend sharing library’s with other users. I have a few “friends” I found on Reddit sharing (free) with me massive movie and tv collections.
Also, plugins have been removed from the official app but exist under unofficial proxy app.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
BuckHole
Veteran
Posts: 2,650
And1: 981
Joined: Jul 11, 2005
Location: VIP room at Drackenberg's Cigar Bar
 

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#622 » by BuckHole » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 am

BuckHole wrote:
ackypoo wrote:finally set up a pc running plex. i remote into it with my chromebook and download stuff. its continually connected through luxembourg. runs to every tv in my house w/ a roku or the samsung smart tv. plex is insanely easy. 9/10.

I recommend sharing library’s with other users. I have a few “friends,” I found on Reddit, sharing (free) massive movie and tv collections with me.
Also, plugins have been removed from the official app but exist under unofficial proxy app.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
User avatar
smauss
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,541
And1: 296
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Contact:
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#623 » by smauss » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm

So with the Sling & Fox Sports debacle, I'm going to give Youtube TV a try. Seems like most here are quite satisfied with it. My son is as well.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
talbert
Sophomore
Posts: 165
And1: 106
Joined: Mar 30, 2018
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#624 » by talbert » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:02 pm

smauss wrote:So with the Sling & Fox Sports debacle, I'm going to give Youtube TV a try. Seems like most here are quite satisfied with it. My son is as well.

I have YouTube TV and it works well. I just wish there was ever something on to watch. Once you factor in the price of internet, it's the same price as it would be to just have cable. And cable would come with more channels.
Matches Malone
RealGM
Posts: 15,293
And1: 7,175
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Location: Latveria
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#625 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:09 pm

talbert wrote:
smauss wrote:So with the Sling & Fox Sports debacle, I'm going to give Youtube TV a try. Seems like most here are quite satisfied with it. My son is as well.

I have YouTube TV and it works well. I just wish there was ever something on to watch. Once you factor in the price of internet, it's the same price as it would be to just have cable. And cable would come with more channels.


That's where I'm at with cable as well. I still have mine because it still would be the same price if keeping the internet and then getting Hulu or YoutubeTV. Unfortunately, now that every company is making their own streaming service, I'm gonna end up spending more in the long run. So far I've got Netflix, Amazon Prime, DC Universe and that's after I already cut HBO GO and Hulu. I'll probably also be getting Disney+
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
talbert
Sophomore
Posts: 165
And1: 106
Joined: Mar 30, 2018
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#626 » by talbert » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
talbert wrote:
smauss wrote:So with the Sling & Fox Sports debacle, I'm going to give Youtube TV a try. Seems like most here are quite satisfied with it. My son is as well.

I have YouTube TV and it works well. I just wish there was ever something on to watch. Once you factor in the price of internet, it's the same price as it would be to just have cable. And cable would come with more channels.


That's where I'm at with cable as well. I still have mine because it still would be the same price if keeping the internet and then getting Hulu or YoutubeTV. Unfortunately, now that every company is making their own streaming service, I'm gonna end up spending more in the long run. So far I've got Netflix, Amazon Prime, DC Universe and that's after I already cut HBO GO and Hulu. I'll probably also be getting Disney+

I don't think it's ever going to happen, but I envision a world where you pay a base price and you get to pick say 10 channels, a la carte style. Maybe some channels come at a premium, I don't know. Then additional channels are like $3 extra per month.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 63,187
And1: 16,166
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#627 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:47 am

Uverse no longer has NFLN and Red Zone and from my understanding they won't have them going forward. This is unacceptable to me, I watch them both a lot.

I'm on an incredibly cheap deal and want to stay.

It's my understanding that Sling has both of those channels in their $25 package? True? I'd pay that during football to get those 2 channels.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
LittleRooster
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,920
And1: 1,518
Joined: Apr 02, 2010
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#628 » by LittleRooster » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:20 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Uverse no longer has NFLN and Red Zone and from my understanding they won't have them going forward. This is unacceptable to me, I watch them both a lot.

I'm on an incredibly cheap deal and want to stay.

It's my understanding that Sling has both of those channels in their $25 package? True? I'd pay that during football to get those 2 channels.


They do have those channels in that package


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
0BobLobLaw0
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,800
And1: 1,060
Joined: Aug 09, 2005
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#629 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:21 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Uverse no longer has NFLN and Red Zone and from my understanding they won't have them going forward. This is unacceptable to me, I watch them both a lot.

I'm on an incredibly cheap deal and want to stay.

It's my understanding that Sling has both of those channels in their $25 package? True? I'd pay that during football to get those 2 channels.


Sling doesn't have fox sports wi at the moment
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 63,187
And1: 16,166
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#630 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:33 am

I plan to keep UV and just add Sling during football. My UV deal is too good to dump.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,574
And1: 17,370
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#631 » by emunney » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:41 am

Matches Malone wrote:
talbert wrote:
smauss wrote:So with the Sling & Fox Sports debacle, I'm going to give Youtube TV a try. Seems like most here are quite satisfied with it. My son is as well.

I have YouTube TV and it works well. I just wish there was ever something on to watch. Once you factor in the price of internet, it's the same price as it would be to just have cable. And cable would come with more channels.


That's where I'm at with cable as well. I still have mine because it still would be the same price if keeping the internet and then getting Hulu or YoutubeTV. Unfortunately, now that every company is making their own streaming service, I'm gonna end up spending more in the long run. So far I've got Netflix, Amazon Prime, DC Universe and that's after I already cut HBO GO and Hulu. I'll probably also be getting Disney+


Rotate.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
vegaspacker
Veteran
Posts: 2,910
And1: 597
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
   

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#632 » by vegaspacker » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:45 am

Looks like I may need to pick up League Pass this season here in Vegas. If anyone has other options please give me the 411. They haven't released the price points or package options. I haven't had LP since I cut the cord a few years ago. It seems the alternative stream options will no longer be available.

I really like arena feeds, so I might have to take the premium route. Not being local probably means upwards of $40+ a month.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
User avatar
smauss
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,541
And1: 296
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Contact:
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#633 » by smauss » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:18 pm

Update - I really like Youtube TV. I like the user interface (which Google is good at) Still getting used to things, upgraded my Roku (had to). So far so good!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
User avatar
smauss
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,541
And1: 296
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Contact:
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#634 » by smauss » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:20 pm

BTW, thanks to you all for your help!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 63,187
And1: 16,166
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#635 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:06 pm

smauss wrote:Update - I really like Youtube TV. I like the user interface (which Google is good at) Still getting used to things, upgraded my Roku (had to). So far so good!

FSWI? Local channels? NFLN and Red Zone?
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
Posts: 13,869
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Location: WI
       

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#636 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:04 pm

My DirecTV loyalty deal is about up and I've heard they haven't been giving as great of deals when threaten to cancel. I just feel the cord cutting options are slowly creeping up in price and also facing same issues of disputes with channels. Ideally would just like to stay with DirecTV.
awd4cy
Starter
Posts: 2,019
And1: 1,045
Joined: Nov 23, 2013
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#637 » by awd4cy » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:21 pm

I dropped dish a month ago and have YouTube tv steaming through my rokou ultra. It’s worked great and I save close to $90 a month now. I mainly care about sports and it has everything I need with that. It’s nice that I will be able to run NBA league pass through there as well.
User avatar
smauss
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,541
And1: 296
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Contact:
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#638 » by smauss » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
smauss wrote:Update - I really like Youtube TV. I like the user interface (which Google is good at) Still getting used to things, upgraded my Roku (had to). So far so good!

FSWI? Local channels? NFLN and Red Zone?


FSWI, Local Channels, ESPN, NBA TV = Yup
No NFL Network (Maybe you can purchase extra but I don't care about NFL stuff)
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 63,187
And1: 16,166
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#639 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:59 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:My DirecTV loyalty deal is about up and I've heard they haven't been giving as great of deals when threaten to cancel. I just feel the cord cutting options are slowly creeping up in price and also facing same issues of disputes with channels. Ideally would just like to stay with DirecTV.

The last two times my UV contract has come up I do an online chat. I would have been happy keeping my current deal but they have always gone lower. I start out with "I've been a customer for x years and love the service but your competitors are offering some great deals. I don't really want to switch but I will if I have to..."
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
Posts: 13,869
And1: 756
Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Location: WI
       

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#640 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:19 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:My DirecTV loyalty deal is about up and I've heard they haven't been giving as great of deals when threaten to cancel. I just feel the cord cutting options are slowly creeping up in price and also facing same issues of disputes with channels. Ideally would just like to stay with DirecTV.

The last two times my UV contract has come up I do an online chat. I would have been happy keeping my current deal but they have always gone lower. I start out with "I've been a customer for x years and love the service but your competitors are offering some great deals. I don't really want to switch but I will if I have to..."


They ended up knocking $25/month for DirecTV and then doubled my internet speed for no additional cost. I took the deal as there was no contract with it. By the time I get everything we would need the savings isn't super crazy by cutting the cord. And I fear the cord cutting options will start running into more disputes and price will eventually climb.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks