ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#941 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:41 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm assuming Bally's will never be on YouTube or any other streaming service since they are launching their own streaming service. The main reason I stick with cable is for Bucks/Brewers games.

If I didn't have "alternative means" for accessing the Ballys app, I'd do the same. My internet service is the last string between me and Charter, and I'm so anxious to cut it. But doesn't that stuff go by your IP address for determining what market you're in and what games you get? Or do they have a different way to determine your location?
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#942 » by skones » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:08 pm

Bally is so damn bad. The app is clunky, streams skip and glitch regularly, no 4k support and their niche is sports. It's just absolutely ridiculous that you go from a bad Fox Sports app, to something much worse. They had 18 months to figure out the brand switch, and it all reverted back to like 2015.

I spent like 2.5 months earlier this season telling them there was an issue with their app, that I should have access, but the locality wasn't kicking in and it was keeping me on the national version where I couldn't stream our games. 13 different people insisted the issue was on my internet providers end. It wasn't. 2.5 months to get someone to, in all likelihood, check a box to re-map. Absurd.
BradMKE
Senior
And1: 553

Post#943 » by BradMKE » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:17 pm

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#944 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:23 pm

A few thoughts on Bally's streaming service.

Their current app is terrible. Really terrible. If this service uses the same platform it will sink.

I currently keep cable mostly for Bucks/Brewers games. If I could stream those I could switch to YouTube TV or something else and save some cash.

But if I can't record, pause or rewind the streaming service I'm unlikely to switch anyway.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#945 » by crkone » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:21 pm

Cancelled YouTube TV a couple weeks ago. I just don't watch cable TV anymore.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#946 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:42 pm

I posted this on the Packer thread too. Amazon had their first football game live broadcast last week and I checked it out. When I first went on it gave me the option to join live or to start from the beginning. Great. When I was watching live I could pause, rewind, just like I can do now on cable. Great Supposedly games are available after the broadcast is over as well. So while you can't "record" a game as you can with a DVR you can watch it later if you missed it. I was impressed. I wish it was in 4K but it wasn't.

From what I understand the Bally's app overall sucks and you can't do any of the things I mentioned above.

With more and more sports being streaming only this is good news. I've watched some Brewers games on AppleTV and YouTube and you couldn't do any of that. I did see that Apple would be adding that functionality sometime, which is good news since they will probably getting into the football business at some point.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#947 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:56 pm

If I wanted to buy league pass but avoid local blackouts could I just install a VPN on a Roku to prime fire stick?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#948 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:00 pm

Related, in case you guys weren't aware, League Pass prices are being slashed.

Rejoice, NBA fans: League Pass is slated to be much cheaper this upcoming season. In a recent renewal email, League Pass announced its premium service, which enables users to view games on multiple devices free of commercials, will cost $129.99. Last season, it ran folks $280. Meanwhile, a standard subscription cost $230 in 2021-22 and has been slashed to $99.99 for the 2022-23 season, according to Sportico. A monthly subscription for the standard service will cost $15.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,375

Post#949 » by MoreTrife » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Related, in case you guys weren't aware, League Pass prices are being slashed.

Rejoice, NBA fans: League Pass is slated to be much cheaper this upcoming season. In a recent renewal email, League Pass announced its premium service, which enables users to view games on multiple devices free of commercials, will cost $129.99. Last season, it ran folks $280. Meanwhile, a standard subscription cost $230 in 2021-22 and has been slashed to $99.99 for the 2022-23 season, according to Sportico. A monthly subscription for the standard service will cost $15.

Wonder what brought that about
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#950 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:27 pm

MoreTrife wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Related, in case you guys weren't aware, League Pass prices are being slashed.

Wonder what brought that about

Probably because there are so many ges already on ESPN, ABC, TNT, and NBATV.

When I first got League Pass in 2005, there weren't nearly that many games on without it. Stopped getting League Pass a long time ago for that reason.

Starting this season, it comes included with my full season ticket holder package. I wonder which of those tiers we get...
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,726

Post#951 » by emunney » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:00 pm

For the most part, I think the NBA has done a great job pushing in the direction of more fan engagement for a while now. They probably have research indicating they'll realize a net gain or be roughly neutral but with more subscriptions, which theoretically would promote growth.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#952 » by KidA24 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:51 pm

Alright, so what's my best bet to sign up for to watch all the playoff games? I have an antenna for ABC games.

Is it sling? I haven't used sling before.... but it seems like I can get 2 months for $60 (first month 1/2 off) which is less than one month of Hulu or Youtube.tv.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#953 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:29 pm

KidA24 wrote:Alright, so what's my best bet to sign up for to watch all the playoff games? I have an antenna for ABC games.

Is it sling? I haven't used sling before.... but it seems like I can get 2 months for $60 (first month 1/2 off) which is less than one month of Hulu or Youtube.tv.

Sling Orange gets you ESPN and TNT. There are still a handful of games on NBATV (not included in Orange) but those go away in a few days. That's probably your best short-term bet.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#954 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 18, 2023 4:00 pm

Read on Twitter
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#955 » by Badgerlander » Sun Jun 4, 2023 4:40 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,619

Post#956 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:15 pm

I remember Edens and Lasry talking about something similar a few years back. Wonder if more teams will start to go solo.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#957 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:23 pm

I imagine as Diamond/Bally's misses more payments more teams will take over themselves. Padres took over recently and also did the free TV thing along with streaming. All I want is something with a great picture (would love 4K) and to be able to record and pause if watching live. And if I can't record it give me the option to start from the beginning like Prime and Apple do. Whether that's streaming or TV I don't really care. I don't know how long the Bucks contract runs but if they keep getting paid they will have to wait unless there is an out clause of some kind.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#958 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:27 pm

The Suns are currently in court with Bally Sports trying to get out of that deal and broadcast over the air.

From what I've read Bally was paying around $25mil per year for the rights. I'm sure every deal is different but that should give some perspective on what teams make on these regional rights deals.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#959 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 pm

The Bucks and Brewers are near/at the bottom, easier for Diamond to stay current.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#960 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 3, 2023 1:07 am

Would leave only Fubo if DirecTV pulls the plug. Also would think if DirecTV deal falls through Bally would cease operating within 90 days.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/directv-directv-stream-may-lose-bally-sports-rsns-this-year-if-a-lower-deal-cant-be-reached/

Sent from my SM-G991U using RealGM mobile app
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks