ImageImage

Marquette Hoops Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Re: Marquette Hoops Discussion 

Post#301 » by Diggr14 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'd like to see what he can do with young Hauser.

He didnt do too much with is team with Ellenson. Doesn’t seem that he hurts or helps recruits. Too small of a sample size though.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#302 » by El Duderino » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 pm

lessthannick11 wrote:Big win on Saturday coming back from the dead. Most likely no Howard on Wednesday night, but that might force them to play more zone which would be good

They should play more zone regardless because since Wojo took the job, the team constantly gets lit up when they play man.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#303 » by xTitan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 am

El Duderino wrote:
lessthannick11 wrote:Big win on Saturday coming back from the dead. Most likely no Howard on Wednesday night, but that might force them to play more zone which would be good

They should play more zone regardless because since Wojo took the job, the team constantly gets lit up when they play man.

Been saying all year that you can't start 2, 5'10"guards and expect to play the type of defense needed to win in a Good conference like the Big East. Way to easy to shoot over these guards and almost every good team has guards who can score, not surprised MU played better D in the second half at Creighton.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#304 » by Johnlac1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 am

It will be interesting to see Marquette's offense next year. While they can certainly shoot, I'm wondering if having Howard and Rowsey chuck at such high rates was the best strategy.
Next year with more experience, Marquette should be bigger and better not only on defense without two midgets at guard but also maybe do more inside work on off.
I don't know if there's another major college team in the country that has an off. like Marquette...two midgets taking 50% of the shots and many of them questionable. Rowsey is probably a worse gunner than Howard though.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#305 » by El Duderino » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 am

xTitan wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Been saying all year that you can't start 2, 5'10"guards and expect to play the type of defense needed to win in a Good conference like the Big East. Way to easy to shoot over these guards and almost every good team has guards who can score, not surprised MU played better D in the second half at Creighton.

I think it goes beyond having two small guards.

Even when one is off the court the defense sucks. Then prior to having those two, the defense has sucked since Wojo took over.

Look at when Buzz took over for Crean. In 2009 he had 5'8 Acker and 5'11 Cubillan playing 30mpg in the old Big East and they still won 22 games. Buzz's teams always defended at least reasonable well, regardless of the roster from year to year and were never marshmallow soft like to many teams have been under Wojo.

I don't claim to know what exactly it is about how Wojo and his staff have been teaching defense to explain why his teams get carved up every year, but it has to change.

I really like the freshman Elliot and Cain. Both have length and seem to want to defend. Theo John is tough, just needs to stop being a foul machine.

Besides Rowsey being a terrible defender, having both him and Howard together on offense, dominating the ball and shooting so often can be electric at times, but also ugly when they are bricking and turning the ball over.

At some point sooner than later, Wojo will be out of excuses if he can't get his teams to be at least competent on the defensive end.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#306 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 am

Nice win! Think they gotta run the table and get at least 1 BE tourney win to get back in NCAA conversation though.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#307 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Here is kind of where we're at...

Overall Record: 16-11
Big East Record: 7-8
Great Wins: None
Good Wins: vs. Vermont, @Providence, Seton Hall (2), @Creighton
Bad Losses: None really. @St John's may look bad on paper.
Regular Season Games Remaining (3): @DePaul, @Georgetown, vs. Creighton

Currently would be the 7th seed in the Big East tournament and would be squaring off against the 10th seeded DePaul Blue Demons. If they can get to the 6th seed they avoid the 1st round games. If Marquette wins out, I would think the 5th and 6th seed are well within play as only 1 game behind Creighton and would own tiebreaker if win on March 3rd. And only 0.5 games back of Seton Hall.

Current Projection is a #2 seed in NIT. They are not a bubble team per Lunardi as of Monday.

My personal opinion is they have to win out the regular season and will need minimum 2 wins if end up the 7th seed in Big East tournament, and probably need to play strong in the quarterfinals. If they end up with a 6th seed or better, need at least 1 win in Big East tournament and a good showing in the quarterfinals. And I still think we'd still be sweating it out selection day. If they make the Big East tournament championship game, I think then we're in. That would put them at least 21 wins with some good wins and no real bad losses.
lessthannick11
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#308 » by lessthannick11 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 pm

I think winning the last 3 games would put them in regardless of the BET. If the win the final 3 they'd be most likely the 6th or 5th seed and at that point would have no bad losses the whole year.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#309 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 pm

lessthannick11 wrote:I think winning the last 3 games would put them in regardless of the BET. If the win the final 3 they'd be most likely the 6th or 5th seed and at that point would have no bad losses the whole year.

The problem is they don't have any great wins either. They are 3-8 vs. Quadrant 1 teams which seems to be the trendy metric the committee is going to use this year. And if Seton Hall drops out of the top 30 RPI, you lose 2 of those 3 wins.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#310 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:09 pm

NIT at best now.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,676

Post#311 » by chonestown » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:19 pm

I'm a UW alum and I've been known to clown Marquette, but what is the outlook for Wojo? I'd have to imagine the seat is getting warm, right?
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,320

Post#312 » by Mags FTW » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:NIT at best now.

You never know with the FBI thing. Miller isn’t coaching tonight.

Plus the bubble teams are all weak. If they can win the last two, and beat Xavier or Nova in NY I would give them a shot.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#313 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm

chonestown wrote:I'm a UW alum and I've been known to clown Marquette, but what is the outlook for Wojo? I'd have to imagine the seat is getting warm, right?

Not even close to warm. He took over when buzz left and only had 7 guys. From then on they improved every year, slowly but improved. This is a set back year but the roster is still a bunch of freshman and sophomores with rowsey being the only contributing SR.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,676

Post#314 » by chonestown » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:
chonestown wrote:I'm a UW alum and I've been known to clown Marquette, but what is the outlook for Wojo? I'd have to imagine the seat is getting warm, right?

Not even close to warm. He took over when buzz left and only had 7 guys. From then on they improved every year, slowly but improved. This is a set back year but the roster is still a bunch of freshman and sophomores with rowsey being the only contributing SR.

Thanks. I don't check in with the fanbase, so I have zero clue.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#315 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:02 am

chonestown wrote:
bucksbrewers3 wrote:

Thanks. I don't check in with the fanbase, so I have zero clue.

I think next year will be the tipping point. If they are in same position the heat will be on in my opinion. There is some grumbling happening already amongst alumni, fans, etc. Attendance has been abysmal too.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,320

Post#316 » by Mags FTW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 am

He should be on the hot seat for not figuring out how to get his teams to play defense. Dead last in the conference in Def. FG %. If they were just middle of the pack they would be in the tourney, no sweat.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#317 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:NIT at best now.

You never know with the FBI thing. Miller isn’t coaching tonight.

Plus the bubble teams are all weak. If they can win the last two, and beat Xavier or Nova in NY I would give them a shot.

True, I guess if they win out and can get to the Big East championship game there could be an argument. If they win tonight they lock in as no lower than 7 seed. Depending on how tiebreakers go could get to 4th seed yet if Seton Hall, Creighton, and Providence lose their last 2. Head to head Marquette has tiebreaker over Seton Hall and potential to have tiebreaker over Creighton.

If they're the 7th seed you're looking at playing #2 seed 'Nova if they can get by the #10 seed. That would be an opportunity for a big win.

Odds are slim but I guess maybe not dead.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#318 » by DingleJerry » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:55 pm

UW vs MU showdown in the NIT would actually be kind of cool. not even sure UW can make the NIT though...
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#319 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:

I would have to say Marquette looks pretty good for next year. They won't have two small gunners at guards, and they have some very promising younger players. Obviously Howard and Hauser, but Anim looks like a player as do big men John and Froling. Then you've got Joey Hauser coming in, but I don't know if he'll contribute much next year. Nevertheless, he looks like a Sam Hauser clone and might turn out longer than Sam.
I think Marquette could be markedly better next year.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#320 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
bucksbrewers3 wrote:

I would have to say Marquette looks pretty good for next year. They won't have two small gunners at guards, and they have some very promising younger players. Obviously Howard and Hauser, but Anim looks like a player as do big men John and Froling. Then you've got Joey Hauser coming in, but I don't know if he'll contribute much next year. Nevertheless, he looks like a Sam Hauser clone and might turn out longer than Sam.
I think Marquette could be markedly better next year.

Everybody that has seen Joey play insists he's still better than this year's Sam. And Sam was pretty damn good this year. If you have those 2 as solid high BBIQ players, with scoring from Howard and rebounding from John, they will be really tough.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks