Rashad Vaughn Development/Expectations

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,889

Re: Rashad Vaughn Development/Expectations 

Post#421 » by Fotis St » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:35 am

Dr Wood is right.

You just don't draft Vaughn to learn the game from NBA's bench instead of College.
We paid Vaughn rookie 1st round contract to learn the game, when elite college kids paid pennies or no paid at all.
And we didn't sent him to G-League Team for a whole season, to develop him as we should.
We drafted him too young, as a project, but we didn't do enough to develop him.
This is Wood's point, by the time he needs a new contract we lost his rookie price, in fact we overpaid his development, we gave
him an "NBA scholaship".

I still have hopes for him. I believe he has future at the point guard position. (Point-scorer, playing good D)
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#422 » by DrWood » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 pm

hege53190 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
hege53190 wrote:Except there are players that far outplay their contracts because they develop more after they sign their contract like Jae Crowder. So they play above their contract like I said in my previous post.

OK, if you think paying a guy a lot of money and hoping he will exceed expectations is a good business model, I don't know what to say.

Whos saying we are paying him a lot of money? He will probably get paid like he is supposed to be paid. Nobody is saying max him out because he is young. Make smart decisions. It should not be that tough. Making dumb assumptions to try to prove your point is ridiculous.

yeah, I'm the one who can't figure things out. At the end of his 4th year, he'll either deserve a significant increase in pay, or he'll just be a lottery ticket that some team signs for cheap (because he won't have shown much ability by that point).

The great thing about guys on rookie contracts is that when they perform, they are great on a performance per $ basis. That is only true for subsequent contracts when a player makes an unexpected leap in ability.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#423 » by JEIS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 pm

hege53190 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
hege53190 wrote:Except there are players that far outplay their contracts because they develop more after they sign their contract like Jae Crowder. So they play above their contract like I said in my previous post.

OK, if you think paying a guy a lot of money and hoping he will exceed expectations is a good business model, I don't know what to say.

Whos saying we are paying him a lot of money? He will probably get paid like he is supposed to be paid. Nobody is saying max him out because he is young. Make smart decisions. It should not be that tough. Making dumb assumptions to try to prove your point is ridiculous.

I think Dr. Woods point is, Up until now, It is difficult to accurately gauge Vaughn's value after his rookie contract, which I concur with. He is semi- valuable currently based on his contract as well as potential. He unfortunatley gets inconsistent minutes and hasn't up til now shown enough improvement to show He can be a legit NBA player. When He gets His chance, He doesn't really play well. A player like Brogdon, we get more value out of contract his rookie contract because we will see a better sample size of play as well as production, which also minimizes the risk of a contract extention. Vaughn on the other hand is riskier. If He has an awesome year, will we then wind up paying him based on an anomaly type season? That could be likely.

The Bucks have a History of over paying players off of small sample size and potential. Bobby Simmons, Larry Sanders, John Henson, Tony Snell, Plumlee.... Players who had inconsistent careers being paid on the play of their best season. Once Vaughn is "paid" He likely isn't as valuable... based on his current production.... If the Bucks sign him to a 4 year deal @ 3 mil a year... not really a big deal... He has a greater potential to out play that kind of a deal, even if he does not, it isn't drastically hurting the team sallary wise. If he has a break out year like Snell, and now wants to and expects to be paid like Snell, we either let him go, basically wasting all the time we invested, and the pick we used, Or we risk overpaying him a contract that we paid him on a potential fluke year that He may never live up to and hand cuff the Bucks with another crap contract.

If He turns into a star and exceeds the contract, that would obviously be great... Nobody is saying that it can't be an option, It just hasn't typically been the Bucks luck.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#424 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 am

Perfect scenario is a young player on a rookie contract does consistently really well and we benefit getting a lot of production for little cost and towards the end of the contract where we came out ahead, we can safely project his value based on consistent growth and performance.

Worst scenario
is the player is crap and wildly inconsistent during the length of the rookie deal and we got extremely little production at this reduced rate, and worst yet is the last couple of months of that rookie deal, player suddenly has a good 2-3 months and ends up with some ridiculous Henson/Plumlee contract.

I see Dr. Wood's point, we haven't been getting production at this reduced rookie rate, and there is a fear we overpay him on the next contract if he has a good 2 months. It's been a terrible pick thus far.

My hope would be Vaughn finally shows some consistency and value as a draft pick, a good role player, and on his next contract gets a modest deal that we hope he finally matures and outplays the deal so we get some ROI from this pick.
#FreeChuckDiesel
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#425 » by BuckHole » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 am

Vaughn, enjoy Oshkosh.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,792

Post#426 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Nov 3, 2017 1:53 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:I hope he develops into not one of the worst players in the league.

Update: he did not develop into not one of the worst players in the league.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#427 » by Lippo » Sun Nov 5, 2017 3:32 am

For 3 MIL, they should have kept him another year IMO.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks