ImageImage

OT: DIY

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Re: OT: DIY 

Post#161 » by AussieBuck » Mon May 7, 2018 9:07 am

Inspired by Pachinko, I've started on a bottom floor for the treehouse. Once I have a replacement for photobucket I'll put up some photos.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Re: RE: Re: OT: DIY 

Post#162 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 7, 2018 9:31 am

jute2003 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:most importantly, keep all your fingers.

Your shop turned out nice and is freakishly organized.
has to be, it's tiny.

in the spirit of freakish organisation I built a french cleat system and 2 shelves and a charging station that can be moved anywhere long the rails.

materials required: one sheet of plywood and a broom handle :DImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#163 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am

I made a little plywood table for the couch :D

Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#164 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:35 am

aaaaaand a mallet :D

Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#165 » by Finn » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Both projects very cool!!
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#166 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 am

Τhis weekend I made myself a toolbox out of plywood and Merbau :D

I actually made this handle out of a branch that fell off a eucalyptus tree in the garden

can't stop making stuff these days, fkn addictive.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#167 » by Jez2983 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:49 pm

That stuff is fantastic. Do you have a trade or is this just all self-taught?

Great seeing the stuff you come up with.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#168 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:47 pm

That little table is really cool. We actually need something like that in our place.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#169 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Jez2983 wrote:That stuff is fantastic. Do you have a trade or is this just all self-taught?

Great seeing the stuff you come up with.

Nah I'm a spreadsheet jockey by day :D

This is all self taught from youtube plus advice from a couple of friends.

I think I'd probably hate it if it was my trade, this stuff is hard to sell and make a living.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#170 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:04 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:That little table is really cool. We actually need something like that in our place.

yeah that's how it started, we were looking for something like that and nobody was selling one somewhat decent looking.

It really only requires about $150 worth of tools and plywood... and a lot of patience, this thing takes time.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#171 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:That little table is really cool. We actually need something like that in our place.

yeah that's how it started, we were looking for something like that and nobody was selling one somewhat decent looking.

It really only requires about $150 worth of tools and plywood... and a lot of patience, this thing takes time.

Maybe my old man can help me out since he has the space and the tools. What are the odds of you putting together a video and/or written instructions?
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#172 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:37 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Maybe my old man can help me out since he has the space and the tools. What are the odds of you putting together a video and/or written instructions?

slim for the video considering I'm not making another one, but it's pretty much the same process as this

Now this guy uses a lot of tools, a bandsaw and a router table, because he has them and it's a little bit faster, but you don't need any of that.

Essentially what you do is draw a fat C on a piece of plywood, and then cut it out with a $20 jigsaw. Imagine that the C will be the profile of your table so shape it as you like it to look and function. I went for 2 inches thick because I knew my girls will sit and probably jump on it :D

Then using that C as a template try and draw as many Cs as you can fit on a sheet of plywood, and then cut them as identical as possible. Then spread wood glue on them as evenly as you can with a brush and glue them together (one at the time), making sure to align them as perfectly as possible. They tend to slide when they have glue on so you also drive a couple of nails in before you proceed to the next one. Nails hold it down as well so you don't really need clamps or ratchet straps, but if you have them use them as well, it will give a slightly better result. Once you have maybe 20 pieces together, depending on the thickness of your plywood, you have a decent size table. You can also sandwich other material in between, I used masonite which gave me a couple of black stripes for some visual interest, or you can use coloured plywood or even acrylic, it's all up to you to make your own pattern. (If you do use acrylic or perspex you will probably need different glue for that layer, not wood glue, ask at the hardware store)

Note: glueing is always a messy business, put an old cloth underneath and maybe use disposable gloves as well.

Leave it overnight to dry. Next day you will need a well ventilated space, a dust mask and a cheap belt sander:

The better job you did cutting and aligning when glueing the less sanding it will take, but be prepared that it will take at least an hour of sanding. Start with 80 grit to get rid of anything that sticks out, and then 120 to bring it to smooth. It will never be mirror smooth because it's all end grain plywood so don't spend too much time trying. Then varnish, let it dry, sand lightly by hand, varnish again. Probably 4-6 coats depending how much mirror finish you're going for. Varnishing and sanding takes a few minutes but probably a whole day of drying in between depending on your weather, so don't rush it. Then chuck 4 little feet underneath from a hardware store and you're done!

PS Keep some sawdust. If you have any gaps anywhere mix it with some 2 part epoxy, make a paste and use it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#173 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Thank you, sir!
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#174 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:56 pm

no problems :D

if you do start it and have any questions you know where to find me, good luck!
Bdog1313
Senior
And1: 10

Post#175 » by Bdog1313 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:25 pm

very impressive. the french cleat system is awesome. i had never seen that before and it has given me some ideas for my work shop area. thanks for sharing and well done, sir!
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#176 » by stellation » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am

Hey fellas- maybe a dumb question, I've got some treated pine sleepers (ACQ) that I've need to cut to length- do I need to seal the cut in any way? They'll be sitting half above ground/half below ground. I pretty much always used hardwood sleepers but needed to use treated pine in this instance and have zip idea of where the treatment sits.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#177 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:33 am

stellation wrote:Hey fellas- maybe a dumb question, I've got some treated pine sleepers (ACQ) that I've need to cut to length- do I need to seal the cut in any way? They'll be sitting half above ground/half below ground. I pretty much always used hardwood sleepers but needed to use treated pine in this instance and have zip idea of where the treatment sits.
Nah it"s impregnated thoughout the wood, just cut it. If you use any screws make sure to get SS/galv or the ACQ will rust them quickly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#178 » by AussieBuck » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 am

Need to finish my treehouse and post pictures

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#179 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

I made a Benjamin Franklin chair/ladder :D

It was a giant PITA, just too much cutting, routing, sanding, getting things wrong and then taking steps back to fix it.
I have a new respect for people who design & make hand made chairs

but my girls helped with the painting :D

That's the final product. Amazing the difference in color quality between my phone and my camera

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#180 » by bizarro » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Love that chair ladder! Beautiful. Your girls pic is hilarious.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks