ImageImage

OT: DIY

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,696

Re: OT: DIY 

Post#41 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 am

yeah I've seen some incredible photos of maples but I never thought it would turn out so pretty, when I bought mine from Bunnings (Aussie version of Home Depot) it had about 3 leaves on it. In 9 months it started to look like a big Bonsai tree.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#42 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:08 am

Got a leaking roof, termites, rotten old timber stumps, doors that won't open, doors that won't close,holes in walls, no eave sheets, mess everywhere, need to get something done. Think I'll build a tree house.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#43 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:23 am

AussieBuck wrote:Got a leaking roof, termites, rotten old timber stumps, doors that won't open, doors that won't close,holes in walls, no eave sheets, mess everywhere, need to get something done. Think I'll build a tree house.

Maybe time to demolish and build 2 townhouses? Seems like the trend these days
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#44 » by stellation » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 am

We have twin Japanese maples that sit either side of the entrance to our driveway, they're only around 5 metres apart but are in completely different micro-climates- one is on the edge of an area dominated by a large chestnut tree that creates a lot of shade and then a few other larger plants like rhodos, the other is in an area without a lot of shade that's mainly used for a vege garden (on a hot day we've actually measured a 17 degree C difference in temp on the ground between the middle of both areas). Because of the difference in temperature between areas the leaves on one of the trees will usually start to colour a few weeks/a month before the other one, when the later turning tree starts to almost catch up we end up with an amazing view for a couple of weeks where you can see the colours start to slowly blend from left to right/tree to tree.
#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#45 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Got a leaking roof, termites, rotten old timber stumps, doors that won't open, doors that won't close,holes in walls, no eave sheets, mess everywhere, need to get something done. Think I'll build a tree house.

Maybe time to demolish and build 2 townhouses? Seems like the trend these days

Wanted the backyard for the kids. Might do something like that if I manage an investment place.

Here's the tree, I've chopped the middle branches out to make room. It's only small but it's the only tree I have to work with in the backyard. Also seems to have termites in parts of it. Kids are 5 and 3 so it should be big enough.

emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#46 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:42 am

Building a tree house in a termite infested tree seems like a great plan.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#47 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:49 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Building a tree house in a termite infested tree seems like a great plan.

Got you covered smarty pants, the tree is mostly decoration I'm using 4 posts around the tree to hold it all together. :D
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#48 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:51 am

Not really sure what it's going to look like but I do have a tube slide I need to fit on it somewhere.

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#49 » by AussieBuck » Thu Nov 3, 2016 8:25 am

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#50 » by AussieBuck » Thu Nov 3, 2016 8:30 am

Getting there, at least for the shell, need to build a door and window shutters etc.

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Coln72
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#51 » by Coln72 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 8:41 am

sweet
Knew Delly before it was cool
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#52 » by HKPackFan » Thu Nov 3, 2016 9:41 am

AussieBuck wrote:
trwi7 wrote:For real though, I just don't see the big deal with somebody occasionally being able to see into your yard. Of course, I grew up in a house without a fence surrounded by 3 other houses so I'm used to it.

I guess a part of it is that it's likely rentals and could be any old randoms plus privacy is something I'm used to in my backyard and I payed a **** to have that yard and plan on spending a lot of time in it.

This might be way too late advice, but just be a little careful about anything growing too tall and too close to your own home. My in laws place is a nightmare right now. They have some tall palm trees (in FL) that are now overgrown and the fronds are touching or almost touching the roof. Rodents and insects are taking a jump onto the roof and getting into the house and causing trouble.

The laws in their county are pretty strict. You are not allowed to cut down a Palm Tree (and if one dies, even by act of God like a hurricane, you have 30 days to replace it or get fined). Just an FYI if you are going on a mission to begin planting lots of stuff that you has to potential to grow pretty tall.
#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#53 » by AussieBuck » Thu Nov 3, 2016 9:48 am

HKPackFan wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
trwi7 wrote:For real though, I just don't see the big deal with somebody occasionally being able to see into your yard. Of course, I grew up in a house without a fence surrounded by 3 other houses so I'm used to it.

I guess a part of it is that it's likely rentals and could be any old randoms plus privacy is something I'm used to in my backyard and I payed a **** to have that yard and plan on spending a lot of time in it.

This might be way too late advice, but just be a little careful about anything growing too tall and too close to your own home. My in laws place is a nightmare right now. They have some tall palm trees (in FL) that are now overgrown and the fronds are touching or almost touching the roof. Rodents and insects are taking a jump onto the roof and getting into the house and causing trouble.

The laws in their county are pretty strict. You are not allowed to cut down a Palm Tree (and if one dies, even by act of God like a hurricane, you have 30 days to replace it or get fined). Just an FYI if you are going on a mission to begin planting lots of stuff that you has to potential to grow pretty tall.

All good, not next to the house.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#54 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Nov 3, 2016 10:36 am

haha thats pretty cool!
I was kinda looking over my shoulder to make sure my kids don't see this or they might make me build one too :D
is this treated pine you've put in the ground?

3rd weekend into my shed build, I'm now missing the roof and some cladding around the door. I actually made the damn door, I went to a door shop and couldnt find any exterior doors that I liked and was reasonably priced.

AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#55 » by AussieBuck » Thu Nov 3, 2016 10:38 am

Yeah treated pine.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#56 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Nov 3, 2016 10:51 am

one of the best cubby houses I've seen, no joke
Lucky kids :)
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,629

Post#57 » by Gianstoppable » Thu Nov 3, 2016 12:47 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Getting there, at least for the shell, need to build a door and window shutters etc.

Wow looks great so far
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#58 » by trwi7 » Thu Nov 3, 2016 3:40 pm

Oh look at us. Our trees have leaves. La-di-freakin'-da.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#59 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 am

Ι still need to make some flashings for the windows, otherwise I'm basically done.
In the last minute I opted for a flat roof and now the thing looks something between a shipping container and a sardine can :D

curving corrugated iron around my frame was a bit of a bitch but it turned out good enough for a shed

in the back I've left some rafter showing in case I need to add a gutter, I doubt it, but see how we go when it rains

shed, kids, trampoline = Aussie back yard

now, what to make next?
Coln72
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#60 » by Coln72 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:15 am

Build a bigger shed :D
Knew Delly before it was cool

Return to Milwaukee Bucks