Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Re: MCW traded for Tony Snell - Deal Done 

Post#1181 » by M-C-G » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
I mean at some point you have to only count the things that happened not the things that didn't happen. Do you give Hammond less credit for Giannis because a bunch of other teams chose to pass on him?

I'm giving Larry Drew some credit on Giannis. We hired him in May of 2013. He let on to Hammond that Ferry had the hots for this kid in Greece.

Probably some truth to that, but at the same time Giannis was a very typical John Hammond pick.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1182 » by crkone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:26 pm

M-C-G wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
I mean at some point you have to only count the things that happened not the things that didn't happen. Do you give Hammond less credit for Giannis because a bunch of other teams chose to pass on him?

I'm giving Larry Drew some credit on Giannis. We hired him in May of 2013. He let on to Hammond that Ferry had the hots for this kid in Greece.

Probably some truth to that, but at the same time Giannis was a very typical John Hammond pick.

Hammond said on the Vertical podcast that Weltman suggested they take the trip to Greece to watch Giannis. They fell in love with him then.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#1183 » by kid idioteque » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Grades for major moves in 2015:

Knight for MCW, Plumlee, Ennis -- F. I wouldn't have graded this deal an F if I didn't know the Lakers pick was out there. But it was.

Giving that deal an F is nonsense even if the pick was available. It prevented us from inking Knight to a ridiculous contract and it got us Snell and Beasley. Certainly not an A deal, but not an F.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#1184 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

so in other words..... if we don't hire drew maybe we trade back in the draft and take a chance on him fallng....but instead armed with this super duper new info we knew we had to stay in front of the hawks.

yeah thank god for larry drew :roll:

come on pp. youre better than this.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1185 » by DrWood » Sat Apr 1, 2017 12:44 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
DrWood wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
I'm still in awe we gave jared Dudley away for **** nothing all so one year later we could sign Mirza for the same money and be facing this dilemma with snell. if we had Dudley we wouldn't need either of these guys.

I believe they were concerned with Dudley's durability, which wasn't an issue last year, but has been this year.

350 some more minutes than Mirza.... I see he missed some games for the flu and a single game for a foot strain but what else?

he only had played in 58 games, as of yesterday, with about 7 to play, so obviously there was something keeping him out. Some guys miss games.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#1186 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Apr 1, 2017 1:11 am

DrWood wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
DrWood wrote:I believe they were concerned with Dudley's durability, which wasn't an issue last year, but has been this year.

350 some more minutes than Mirza.... I see he missed some games for the flu and a single game for a foot strain but what else?

he only had played in 58 games, as of yesterday, with about 7 to play, so obviously there was something keeping him out. Some guys miss games.

Tank.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#1187 » by hege53190 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 4:48 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Love how we always link assets back to the original deal when it's convenient. I mean, we turned Brandon Jennings into Khris Middleton, Tony Snell, Michael Beasley, and Spencer Hawes. End of **** story.

A+

Without fail. Every time.

There's always an ace card in the deck though.....loss of the Giannis draft pick saved only by the incompetence of Danny Ferry.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/2/21/4014574/josh-smith-nba-trade-deadline-hawks-bucks

How the **** did our team go from trading Tobias Harris for Reddick, and trying to trade a future first for an expiring Josh Smith to drafting Giannis, trading a restricted Brandon Jennings for Brandon Knight and Khris Middleton, and actually taking on a bad contract for a future first in a matter of 5 months?

It is amazing how Jekyl and Hyde this front office is. They went from totally incompetent to unbelievably smart and then back to totally incompetent.

All I can say is at least we had those 2 months in 9 years where the front office got their **** together. Without that two month stretch we would be looking at probably 4 decades of ineptitude. Where those 2 months have provided us with at least a team that has a chance to win a playoff series sometime in the next decade. I still don't have faith in this front office to put a team around Giannis and Middleton though.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#1188 » by ampd » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Tony may be earning some money in this series by the way.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1189 » by Jez2983 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 pm

ampd wrote:Tony may be earning some money in this series by the way.

I had the exact same thought. As probably many did. Moose too.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
AZumwalt
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#1190 » by AZumwalt » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Anyone else remember people saying they would rather have Roberson than Snell. He may be a better defender but he lost that game for the Thunder. I don't see how you can make it to the NBA and not be able to shoot at all. 2-12 on free throws is a joke. He is shooting 11% on free throws in the playoffs so far.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,957

Post#1191 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:19 pm

AZumwalt wrote:Anyone else remember people saying they would rather have Roberson than Snell. He may be a better defender but he lost that game for the Thunder. I don't see how you can make it to the NBA and not be able to shoot at all. 2-12 on free throws is a joke. He is shooting 11% on free throws in the playoffs so far.

He's probably gonna make an All-NBA defensive team.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#1192 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 pm

He's in my top-5 for DPOTY, but you're essentially playing 4 on 5 when Roberson is out there on offense. It's just incredibly difficult to play a guy who can't shoot a lick in today's NBA if he isn't a rim-protecting big. I'd be terrified to see how much OKC is gonna pay him. I don't think they let him walk for nothing.
AZumwalt
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#1193 » by AZumwalt » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm

He's a great defender but when you can't knock down free throws you become more of a liability. I really hope they don't change the rule about fouling people. Yes, it sucks for the fans but when you make as much as these guys do, you should learn to make a free throw.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1194 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 pm

AZumwalt wrote:He's a great defender but when you can't knock down free throws you become more of a liability. I really hope they don't change the rule about fouling people. Yes, it sucks for the fans but when you make as much as these guys do, you should learn to make a free throw.

He averaged under two attempts per game during the season. It doesn't matter.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#1195 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
AZumwalt wrote:He's a great defender but when you can't knock down free throws you become more of a liability. I really hope they don't change the rule about fouling people. Yes, it sucks for the fans but when you make as much as these guys do, you should learn to make a free throw.

It mattered yesterday. It's going to matter going forward.

I like Roberson. He's a very versatile defender. But he needs to learn how to make a free throw. He's not dominant enough on the defensive end to mitigate his liability on the offensive end. That **** was embarrassing yesterday.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1196 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:32 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I like Roberson. He's a very versatile defender. But he needs to learn how to make a free throw. He's not dominant enough on the defensive end to mitigate his liability on the offensive end. That **** was embarrassing yesterday.

Yea he is.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1197 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:33 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea he is.

Nah he isn't.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1198 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Yea he is.

Nah he isn't.

2nd best +/- on the team this year.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1199 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Yea he is.

Nah he isn't.

+/- is a flawed-ass stat to rely on to measure impact.

I'll look at practical impact - he literally cost his team the game yesterday by going 2-12 from the FT line. He single-handedly took away 5 possessions from them in crunch time. His team would have been better off with him on the bench.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1200 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Nah he isn't.

+/- is a flawed-ass stat to rely on to measure impact.

I'll look at practical impact - he literally cost his team the game yesterday by going 2-12 from the FT line. He single-handedly took away 5 possessions from them in crunch time. His team would have been better off with him on the bench.

Or the guy who's in there instead does worse than the All-NBA defender.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks