ImageImage

#FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots (2/2 UPDATE)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,140

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots (2/2 UPDATE) 

Post#341 » by FrieAaron » Fri Feb 3, 2017 5:33 am

Siefer wrote:Scheme has critical flaws, and the players aren't executing on it even then. Parker is the worst offender to be sure, but up and down the roster we have guys who can't execute, or don't understand what they're being asked to do. Even before teams started attacking the flaws relentlessly, things were breaking down regularly, and we were getting fairly lucky on shots just not going in.

I feel like if you have so many players on your team who for whatever reason can't execute your scheme correctly, the scheme has to change. Players like Delly and Snell aren't really notorious for being un-coachable. I'm going 80+ percent scheme.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,054

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots (2/2 UPDATE) 

Post#342 » by Siefer » Fri Feb 3, 2017 5:48 am

FrieAaron wrote:
Siefer wrote:Scheme has critical flaws, and the players aren't executing on it even then. Parker is the worst offender to be sure, but up and down the roster we have guys who can't execute, or don't understand what they're being asked to do. Even before teams started attacking the flaws relentlessly, things were breaking down regularly, and we were getting fairly lucky on shots just not going in.

I feel like if you have so many players on your team who for whatever reason can't execute your scheme correctly, the scheme has to change. Players like Delly and Snell aren't really notorious for being un-coachable. I'm going 80+ percent scheme.

Largely agree. The player/scheme fit is pretty bad, even with an ideal anchor like Giannis. A bunch of young guys who aren't communicating well, are being asked to execute a tightrope walk of a scheme that relies heavily on communication and awareness. Even without Jabari's catastrophic D, we'd be in a bad spot.

Edit: I initially held out hope that with the right players, the scheme could work. We certainly don't have the right players, but I've come way down on the best case regardless. As we've seen, the plan just doesn't hold up under direct assault. We're willingly trading high value shots and rebounding position for chances at turnovers and fast break buckets. If a team is willing to lean into what we're offering them, they're going to come out ahead more often than not.
fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#344 » by fan230 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 6:39 am

2 years ago Hibbert was the 3rd best rim protector in the league. Maybe he will be the new savior for Kidd's defensive scheme??
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#345 » by HKPackFan » Fri Feb 3, 2017 6:44 am

Whatever basketball textbook Kidd read to use this defense needs to be...

Then maybe we can move forward with this team.
#FreeChuckDiesel
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots (1/17 UPDATE) 

Post#346 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Feb 3, 2017 7:11 am

har13 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
BadgersBucks wrote:
Then why did we trade a #1 for Vasquez and sign Monroe two off-seasons ago. Why did we sign Delly, Telly, Plums this off-season. And play Terry over our 20 yr old last 1st rounder? Actions speak louder than words, they were trying to win both off-seasons in classic Kohl fashion and have failed miserably. I grant an excuse for this year with Middleton hurt, but doesn't changes the fact they lit money on fire and screwed their cap for the #ownthefuture.

Need to stop looking at ESPN talking head type stuff and look at real basketball. Garbage contracts to kill the cap. Then look at the Xs and Os they're rolling out every game and it's just terrible.

There is a difference between trying to win and expecting to win. All 30 teams are trying to win. At least in the second half of last season, Kidd's focus shifted to the future. Vegas had our team at 35-47 before this season which is exactly what we're on pace for. The Bucks signed players to long-term contracts who were supposed to be good fits around our core. They drafted the greenest player in the lottery. That should prove that they had their eye down the road.

Kidd is not immune to being reprimanded like some people seem to think he is. We saw how terrible the personnel decisions were during his first two seasons and then we saw how Kidd lost the power to make roster moves. Like I said, if the (healthy) team isn't over .500 next season then Kidd will be fired. It's just simply that Kidd doesn't deserve to be fired right now, partially because of the great job he did in season 1 and partially because the team isn't underperforming this year when you look at the big picture.

Well you are wrong ,right now Bucks are the worst team in the Nba.

His defence sucks and its not only because of the players.

His offence sucks and not only because of the players.

If you are a good coach your team every month plays better,if you accuse only the players as you always do how can you explain that they were playing better and now they don't?Its easy to see which teams are getting better every month,the ones with good coaches.

Maybe you watch only the Bucks ,but i'm telling you they play the worst basketball ,its horrible,he dosn't know how to take advantage of what a player can do.
And sorry but you speak only for a half of a season n his 1st year.
You are telling us that he is maybe a good coach because of 4 months 2 years ago?
How in the world are you happy?
What you see that we cannot see?
Are you telling us that we need to hear for one more year him telling us that Bucks are a young team,we need to hear after game that they are going to work the 3s problem the rebounds and all the stupid things he says.

What he did in the past for someone to give hime one more year?
Is he a famous coach and did something good in the past?
Do you like his coaching?

I tell you maybe the reasons for keeping him.

Because Bucks are a small market and Kidd name is huge and makes you feel important.
He is friend with the owners.
They don't want to pay him the money of his contract by firing him.
They believe he can bring big nanes,until now he only brings not big just ''old'' friends.

Best case scenario they fire him in the summer or they bring new assistants because my friend he is just a face,just watch timeouts,if he is a coach i'm Nostradamus and i'm telling you that if he and his assistants stay and for the next season Bucks will still play bad basketball.

If I thought the Bucks are the worst team in the NBA like you do, then I would agree with you. They are in the midst of a poor stretch right now but I don't want to overreact.
Read on Twitter
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#347 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 7:58 am

Finished Kidd's first season 10-18. The only time we were .500 last season was in November (finished that month 5 games under) and we're now in the worst stretch of basketball since Larry Drew was head coach.

The excuses some people make.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots (1/17 UPDATE) 

Post#348 » by har13 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 8:00 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
har13 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:

If I thought the Bucks are the worst team in the NBA like you do, then I would agree with you. They are in the midst of a poor stretch right now but I don't want to overreact.

1-9 record against teams with not their best players is the worst record.
Its now 3 years ,not just a poor strech.
But ok if you believe its an overreact thats fine..also you are not telling us why we must keep Kidd as a HC (besides Giannis improvement and because you believe Bucks record is good) but never mind.
Maybe people believe that Chicago is a good team with good players too,thats why their record is 25-25, right?
But he is a HOF player and a huge name what can you do..
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,828

Post#349 » by Prez » Fri Feb 3, 2017 8:07 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
har13 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:There is a difference between trying to win and expecting to win. All 30 teams are trying to win. At least in the second half of last season, Kidd's focus shifted to the future. Vegas had our team at 35-47 before this season which is exactly what we're on pace for. The Bucks signed players to long-term contracts who were supposed to be good fits around our core. They drafted the greenest player in the lottery. That should prove that they had their eye down the road.

Kidd is not immune to being reprimanded like some people seem to think he is. We saw how terrible the personnel decisions were during his first two seasons and then we saw how Kidd lost the power to make roster moves. Like I said, if the (healthy) team isn't over .500 next season then Kidd will be fired. It's just simply that Kidd doesn't deserve to be fired right now, partially because of the great job he did in season 1 and partially because the team isn't underperforming this year when you look at the big picture.

Well you are wrong ,right now Bucks are the worst team in the Nba.

His defence sucks and its not only because of the players.

His offence sucks and not only because of the players.

If you are a good coach your team every month plays better,if you accuse only the players as you always do how can you explain that they were playing better and now they don't?Its easy to see which teams are getting better every month,the ones with good coaches.

Maybe you watch only the Bucks ,but i'm telling you they play the worst basketball ,its horrible,he dosn't know how to take advantage of what a player can do.
And sorry but you speak only for a half of a season n his 1st year.
You are telling us that he is maybe a good coach because of 4 months 2 years ago?
How in the world are you happy?
What you see that we cannot see?
Are you telling us that we need to hear for one more year him telling us that Bucks are a young team,we need to hear after game that they are going to work the 3s problem the rebounds and all the stupid things he says.

What he did in the past for someone to give hime one more year?
Is he a famous coach and did something good in the past?
Do you like his coaching?

I tell you maybe the reasons for keeping him.

Because Bucks are a small market and Kidd name is huge and makes you feel important.
He is friend with the owners.
They don't want to pay him the money of his contract by firing him.
They believe he can bring big nanes,until now he only brings not big just ''old'' friends.

Best case scenario they fire him in the summer or they bring new assistants because my friend he is just a face,just watch timeouts,if he is a coach i'm Nostradamus and i'm telling you that if he and his assistants stay and for the next season Bucks will still play bad basketball.

You just refuse to acknowledge that you've been wrong on Kidd. You've been defending him all year, of course when the stuff people have been telling you about him proves to be true and the results of that are piling on, you play it off as just a "poor stretch". The reality is this stuff has been happening literally all year and last year as well. The only difference the past few weeks or so is that Giannis isn't in god mode to save his ass, and teams are finally making us pay for our idiotic coaching...like cinematographer said they would.

The Bucks have literally been called out by other players like Pau and Draymond about their middle school half court offense, and we've had coaches come out and say their game plan to break us down was to find openings from 3. Our defense visibly is one of the dumbest I've ever seen with its regular doubling off 3PT shooters one pass away, massive strong side overhelping, etc., and the stats prove we give up more great shots (open corner 3s) than any team in the league. We have been a dogsh*t end of game team literally all season because our half court offense again is hilariously simple. Kidd doesn't even draw up plays most of the time, his assistants do it for him.

This dude is a clown of a coach and that honestly might be an understatement. He isn't even bad in a traditional sense, he's straight up destructive. There are seriously 20+ coaches right now in the league that would have this team above .500.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#350 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Feb 3, 2017 9:06 am

fan230 wrote:2 years ago Hibbert was the 3rd best rim protector in the league. Maybe he will be the new savior for Kidd's defensive scheme??

no.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#351 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 9:13 am

Haha David Locke with a subtle jab at Kidd on his latest podcast. "No adjustment, no scheme Jason?" Scout " Yea, that comes down to coaching".
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#352 » by hege53190 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 12:01 pm

fan230 wrote:2 years ago Hibbert was the 3rd best rim protector in the league. Maybe he will be the new savior for Kidd's defensive scheme??

That Hibbert has been dead ever since Paul George **** his woman.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#353 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Feb 3, 2017 1:11 pm

har13 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
har13 wrote:

1-9 record against teams with not their best players is the worst record.
Its now 3 years ,not just a poor strech.
But ok if you believe its an overreact thats fine..also you are not telling us why we must keep Kidd as a HC (besides Giannis improvement and because you believe Bucks record is good) but never mind.
Maybe people believe that Chicago is a good team with good players too,thats why their record is 25-25, right?
But he is a HOF player and a huge name what can you do..

Friend, if the team plays like they have over the past ten games for the rest of the year then Kidd should not be coach next season. I do not believe in making snap judgments, I think fans are often too eager to fire a coach for a bad stretch. Find a coach and give him a chance. Don't nitpick a few things but judge him based on the big picture. Most of coaching goes unseen by the fans. We have seen glimpses of what this team can do, such as when they won at San Antonio without Giannis. We have seen the drastic improvement of Giannis and the glowing way Giannis talks about Kidd's influence on his game.

I am judging Kidd based on the results. You mentioned that Kidd has been here three years. Year One the team greatly overperformed. Year Two the team underperformed. Year Three is TBD but the team is currently meeting expectations.

Read on Twitter
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots 

Post#354 » by ZeppelinPage » Sat Feb 4, 2017 4:48 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Shabazz Muhammad is a 31% career 3PT shooter. Technically, leaving him and Rubio for open 3's is "playing the numbers". Sometimes people overthink basketball instead of just using your eyes and coming to the obvious conclusion that "they just made shots". Not going to win many games when the opposition shoots 56% and nearly 10 percentage points higher than their season average (34.6%) from 3.

Yeah, the rotations were slow and guys looked lethargic last night. It happens sometimes in an 82-game regular season. If the scheme works fine against teams like San Antonio and Cleveland, then all the excel spreadsheets in the world aren't going to tell me anything other than, it was one game.

#MoneyballDidn'tWork

Greatest post in Bucks RealGM history.

10 of our last 11, guys.

#MoneyballDidn'tWork
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#355 » by SKG » Sat Feb 4, 2017 4:54 am

I take back all my positive posts about kidd
Im sorry
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#356 » by imithanos » Sat Feb 4, 2017 9:51 am

Since last season it was obvious, that our def. scheme was giving the opponents more off. rebounds than their average. In another area, it would be great, cause the team could cover them with more steals and better defense in the paint. But not in this area, where the teams are shooting every year even more threes.

This is something, that it's been discussed a lot. Something else that never crossed my mind and Idk if anybody else has already posted, is one comment one of the brewhoop guys wrote.

Firstly that Kidd has mentioned several times that he prefers simple plays in offense, cause the team is young. But at the same time his def. scheme is one of the most complex and exploits whichever weakness these young players have.

Secondly that this scheme requires not only experience and communication, but a lot of movement and energy too. So maybe it's not that the league figured out our scheme or that the players aren't united in the locker room or whatever for our recent slump, but because they are just gassed out. This seems in my eyes very plausible, because during the last month it always seems as if the players are always like half a second too late to (re)cover their opponent. Maybe fatigue has finally reached Giannis.
No hay banda.
bigbucksfan1234
Senior
And1: 187

Post#357 » by bigbucksfan1234 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 12:10 pm

Jason Kidd is a horrible coach this whole staff needs to go there is no offense kidd himself always says we don't run plays. he has this crazy idea about position less scheme less offensive basketball almost every game I can recall of giannis or parker going off and winning a game kidd says look we didn't even run plays for him like that makes him some kind genius. Lmfao
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,591

Post#358 » by JayMKE » Sat Feb 4, 2017 2:11 pm

With Middleton coming back and the recent trade I'll give Kidd until the end of the season to show something, don't want to fire someone during the season.
FREE GIANNIS
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,022

Post#359 » by RiotPunch » Sat Feb 4, 2017 2:14 pm

Wooderson wrote:Image

ripped from blkout's post

An olden but a Gooden.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,776

Re: #FireKidd: By design, MKE's D gives opponents good shots & takes away bad shots 

Post#360 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Feb 4, 2017 4:09 pm

ZeppelinPage wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Shabazz Muhammad is a 31% career 3PT shooter. Technically, leaving him and Rubio for open 3's is "playing the numbers". Sometimes people overthink basketball instead of just using your eyes and coming to the obvious conclusion that "they just made shots". Not going to win many games when the opposition shoots 56% and nearly 10 percentage points higher than their season average (34.6%) from 3.

Yeah, the rotations were slow and guys looked lethargic last night. It happens sometimes in an 82-game regular season. If the scheme works fine against teams like San Antonio and Cleveland, then all the excel spreadsheets in the world aren't going to tell me anything other than, it was one game.

#MoneyballDidn'tWork

Greatest post in Bucks RealGM history.

10 of our last 11, guys.

#MoneyballDidn'tWork

The irony is that he's making a moneyball argument about sample size.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks