ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Re: 2017 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1561 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm

GoT

Spoiler:
I thought Sepinwal made a good point with a Tweet this morning. Remember in earlier seasons how it would take characters an entire season or two to get from point A to point B and how terribly boring it was? I love this breakneck pace.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#1562 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm fine with the pacing because the end goal is gonna be worth it, but there's a fine line between being slow and boring, and seeming like it's a Fast and Furious movie. I can't fault them for speeding it up for the sake of ending the story in the next 2 seasons, but I can fault them for meandering around pointless arcs (again, F-ing Dorne), and dragging their feet on wrapping up the War of the 5 Kings the past several seasons.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#1563 » by emunney » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:41 pm

blazza18 wrote:This was **** awesome.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Raise your hand if you really wanted Sean Connery's voice to come out of Drogon's mouth.

"Jon Shnow, I prezhume."
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1564 » by bizarro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 pm

emunney wrote:
blazza18 wrote:This was **** awesome.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Raise your hand if you really wanted Sean Connery's voice to come out of Drogon's mouth.

"Jon Shnow, I prezhume."

:lol:
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,115

Post#1565 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Spoiler:
Exciting, sure, but it feels sloppy and I feel like I roll my eyes at least 4x an episode.

Like is it just me or is there so much more **** jokes? Like when Khaleesi was asking Missandei about what happened with her and Greyworm I thought she was going to start thrusting her hips and making squeaky bed noises. And Davos teasing Snow about liking Khaleesi and Braun and Jaime cracking jokes after barely escaping the dragon's flame like it's the end of a Lethal Weapon movie.

And I felt like the show avoided the main characters miraculously avoiding death in previous seasons but now, like with Braun and Jaime as I mentioned, it just feels cheesy. I don't need main characters dieing every episode but I don't need them getting saved at the last second by their buddy out of nowhere and then falling into a river and somehow swimming all the way to safety unnoticed between episodes. In previous seasons, when characters did something stupid they paid for it - see Oberyn.

And how stupid was Khaleesi - my dragon crashed in the middle of this battlefield, I'm just going to yank on this giant arrow without looking around.

I feel like looking back, the show will be considered one of the GOATs until going off the rails in seasons 7-8.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Post#1566 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 pm

it me, grown ass adult man who kinda loves the new DuckTales.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1567 » by emunney » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:01 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
Spoiler:
Exciting, sure, but it feels sloppy and I feel like I roll my eyes at least 4x an episode.

Like is it just me or is there so much more **** jokes? Like when Khaleesi was asking Missandei about what happened with her and Greyworm I thought she was going to start thrusting her hips and making squeaky bed noises. And Davos teasing Snow about liking Khaleesi and Braun and Jaime cracking jokes after barely escaping the dragon's flame like it's the end of a Lethal Weapon movie.

And I felt like the show avoided the main characters miraculously avoiding death in previous seasons but now, like with Braun and Jaime as I mentioned, it just feels cheesy. I don't need main characters dieing every episode but I don't need them getting saved at the last second by their buddy out of nowhere and then falling into a river and somehow swimming all the way to safety unnoticed between episodes. In previous seasons, when characters did something stupid they paid for it - see Oberyn.

And how stupid was Khaleesi - my dragon crashed in the middle of this battlefield, I'm just going to yank on this giant arrow without looking around.

I feel like looking back, the show will be considered one of the GOATs until going off the rails in seasons 7-8.

Spoiler:
Full disclosure: I never considered it one of the best ever, but I did think it was really good and unique. I felt like it's gone from an excellent and really dark atypical character-driven political drama to a really dark but pretty typical plot-driven superhero movie. Like that totally ridiculous but very fun Seven Grizzled Bros scene in the Eastwatch jail. "We all hate each other but lessdodis. PS Randomly appearing character who has gone unmentioned for years has big hammer, will smash." Pure fanfic ****. They even did a rowing joke for Gendry.

Despite my criticisms I definitely don't think it's bad by any means -- it's well done with bad parts, and there is still no other show that can do visual storytelling like GoT -- but it has very little of what I liked about the earlier seasons.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#1568 » by bigkurty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Cant believe there is only 8 episodes of GOT's left. That will be a sad day.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1569 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Shrek 2 was on yesterday. It possesses an abundance of adult humor I never realized before.

Puss in Boots is GOAT.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#1570 » by DingleJerry » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:03 pm

GOT

Spoiler:
I expected some kind of more elaborate way for Jaimie/Bronn getting saved. Instead they just seemed to make a several hundred foot swim in full metal gear and expected us to buy it. Something like other soldiers pulling them out, or Dany's team pulling them out and having them as prisoners. Not just, yup they can swim that far in full metal gear, while one of them only has one hand.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,981

Post#1571 » by RiotPunch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:37 pm

DingleJerry wrote:GOT

Spoiler:
I expected some kind of more elaborate way for Jaimie/Bronn getting saved. Instead they just seemed to make a several hundred foot swim in full metal gear and expected us to buy it. Something like other soldiers pulling them out, or Dany's team pulling them out and having them as prisoners. Not just, yup they can swim that far in full metal gear, while one of them only has one hand.

Spoiler:
Bronn did tell Jaime that he, "might as well jump back into the river", after Jaime said he had to tell Cersei what happened. I'm just letting myself believe that the current took Jaime and Bronn to that shore.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Re: RE: Re: 2017 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1572 » by Whiteman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm

wapith wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:GoT

Spoiler:
Cool down episode setting up the final two episodes. Not bad but next week will be epic. Did like Arya calling out Sansa and putting her on watch

(Dragons every episode but still no Ghost since the premier last year)

And wtf did the note Arya found in Littlefingers room say? I paused it and couldn't read ****.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

Spoiler:
Looked like the message Sansa was forced to send in season 1 or 2 after Ned was killed asking Rob to pledge fealty. Don't know what the significance of that would be for Littlefinger.

Spoiler:
Looks like he only got the note so Arya could find it.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#1573 » by GB_Packers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 pm

GoT will be remembered as one of the GOAT shows, unless they totally botch the last season. A few dips in quality here or there, mainly in season five, but overall fantastic so far.

And the complaints about how fast they are moving, well, we are down to the final eight episodes now. We don't need entire episodes where all we see of Jon is traveling from one location to the next with scenes of him staring out at the water, contemplating how hard of a task lies ahead of him. The show was never going to stay slow and character driven the longer it went on, the scope has been expanding each season. I'm expecting numerous long battle scenes within these last eight episodes. After episodes like Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards and now Spoils of War, the incoming spectacle will be incredible to see done on TV.

Going off the rails? Nah. Show has only gotten better over time.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#1574 » by GB_Packers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:59 pm

emunney wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Full disclosure: I never considered it one of the best ever, but I did think it was really good and unique. I felt like it's gone from an excellent and really dark atypical character-driven political drama to a really dark but pretty typical plot-driven superhero movie. Like that totally ridiculous but very fun Seven Grizzled Bros scene in the Eastwatch jail. "We all hate each other but lessdodis. PS Randomly appearing character who has gone unmentioned for years has big hammer, will smash." Pure fanfic ****. They even did a rowing joke for Gendry.

Despite my criticisms I definitely don't think it's bad by any means -- it's well done with bad parts, and there is still no other show that can do visual storytelling like GoT -- but it has very little of what I liked about the earlier seasons.

They don't like each other but realize there is a far bigger threat to worry about right now. Set aside the petty differences so we can live to fight another day.

Almost like those supposedly forgotten character driven moments you mentioned. The show meandered far too often in the early days, thankfully that's done with.
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#1575 » by wapith » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:GoT

Spoiler:
I thought Sepinwal made a good point with a Tweet this morning. Remember in earlier seasons how it would take characters an entire season or two to get from point A to point B and how terribly boring it was? I love this breakneck pace.

Spoiler:
I disagree that that was boring. But I'm fine with the pace right now. Knew it had to be this way once they announced that there would only be 2 shortened seasons. And I'd prefer that not try to stretch out the series longer than needed because it's hugely popular.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 723

Post#1576 » by averageposter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

As far as pacing goes, there is the fact that the books unfinished, whatever fine detail can only be fleshed out by the author that would have led to pacing can only be relayed so far at this point. I'm fine with the pace honestly, we know how many episodes remain, and we need the to get to a place where the payoff is befitting the series.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#1577 » by RRyder823 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:21 pm

At this point I'm just not sure how they can actually rap things up and resolve even half the story lines in a meaningful way, that doesn't leave the majority feeling cheated, in only 8 episodes unless each and every episode ends up being 90 minutes long.

Even then it might not be enough time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#1578 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Yeah, exactly. I'm not even a GoT mega-fan (only read part of one book) who demands every minuscule detail be translated to TV, but if this is the speed at which they were planning on wrapping everything up, then they should have given themselves more time. The last two episodes have basically been a bunch of: "Hey, I remember you." "Hey, I remember you too, let's team up!"

I didn't think the show was being rushed, but......It's kinda starting to feel a little rushed. I'm just saying that I certainly understand where the more die hard GoT fans are coming from.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1579 » by emunney » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 pm

GB_Packers wrote:
emunney wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

They don't like each other but realize there is a far bigger threat to worry about right now. Set aside the petty differences so we can live to fight another day.

Almost like those supposedly forgotten character driven moments you mentioned. The show meandered far too often in the early days, thankfully that's done with.

It's so weird to me that you're explaining the scene like it was really opaque or complicated. It was basically Wintertime with The Expendables. I was able to follow it.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,920

Post#1580 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 pm

averageposter wrote:As far as pacing goes, there is the fact that the books unfinished, whatever fine detail can only be fleshed out by the author that would have led to pacing can only be relayed so far at this point. I'm fine with the pace honestly, we know how many episodes remain, and we need the to get to a place where the payoff is befitting the series.

I think that's the most valid reason in my mind for this. There's nothing to go off of but the outlines in undetermined levels of detail of the events to come in GRRM's mind.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks