OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Re: OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1221 » by WRau1 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:13 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
WRau1 wrote:The NES/SNES Classics cost just as much as a nice raspberry pi Kit/Android emulator setup. I don't understand the want for the official licensed ones.

Gray area ethics.

Meh, I guess I can see that. I own a good deal of consoles and games, I would hate to have to drag them out and set them up every time I play them. I don't even have room for that.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1222 » by jschligs » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:19 pm

Sooo close to finishing the main quest on Zelda. I had put it down for a month or so because I've been busy and I was stuck. Figured out a few things (thanks to some people here) and boom, right back into it like I was initially.

Honestly, besides PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, I don't think there is a game that can touch it for GotY.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1223 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:22 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
WRau1 wrote:The NES/SNES Classics cost just as much as a nice raspberry pi Kit/Android emulator setup. I don't understand the want for the official licensed ones.

Gray area ethics.

Meh, I guess I can see that. I own a good deal of consoles and games, I would hate to have to drag them out and set them up every time I play them. I don't even have room for that.

Like I said, I don't think it's a black and white issue. I think it's necessary for game preservation, but can have questionable applications. If I don't own a copy of an older title that I want to play and it's still being distributed legally I'll take that route first.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#1224 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:34 pm

jschligs wrote:Sooo close to finishing the main quest on Zelda. I had put it down for a month or so because I've been busy and I was stuck. Figured out a few things (thanks to some people here) and boom, right back into it like I was initially.

Honestly, besides PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, I don't think there is a game that can touch it for GotY.

Yea I jumped back in this weekend as well. I have 3/4 beasts completed. Really want to finish this before Mario comes out.
#FreeChuckDiesel
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#1225 » by BucksStatsGuy » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:45 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:

Gray area ethics.

I will say that I got a Raspberry Pi set-up, and I think I must not have it set up correctly, because emulation for the games still just seems...."off". Like the input lag is enough where I definitely feel it. I was trying to play Sonic on it and it was close to unplayable. Again, I need to do more research and what not on correct settings, but I think one of the reasons the SNES/NES Mini is so nice is that the emulation is spot on. And I forgot how many of these games back then required the timing that those consoles had. I'm interested to see if the timing is better even when other ROMs are inserted
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1226 » by WRau1 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:04 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:Gray area ethics.

I will say that I got a Raspberry Pi set-up, and I think I must not have it set up correctly, because emulation for the games still just seems...."off". Like the input lag is enough where I definitely feel it. I was trying to play Sonic on it and it was close to unplayable. Again, I need to do more research and what not on correct settings, but I think one of the reasons the SNES/NES Mini is so nice is that the emulation is spot on. And I forgot how many of these games back then required the timing that those consoles had. I'm interested to see if the timing is better even when other ROMs are inserted

You should probably look into how you have it set up, I would think. I don't use Pi though, I have RetroX through my Nvidia Shield and it's beyond perfect.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1227 » by machu46 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:13 pm

Anyone else jump on Fortnite Battle Royale since it's free? It's so much fun.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1228 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:26 pm

machu46 wrote:Anyone else jump on Fortnite Battle Royale since it's free? It's so much fun.

I've barely played enough Battlegrounds to consider playing a different version of it. That said, the whole way Epic approached that gives me a sour taste. It feels like Hi-Rez dropping Paladins shortly after Overwatch launched.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1229 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:30 pm

WRau1 wrote:
BucksStatsGuy wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

You should probably look into how you have it set up, I would think. I don't use Pi though, I have RetroX through my Nvidia Shield and it's beyond perfect.

This reminds me of a decent write up PC Gamer did on emulation earlier this year. Actual, perfect emulation of old hardware like an SNES is more taxing than you think it is. Snippet from the article:
Wes Fenlon, PC Gamer wrote:Byuu pursues emulation development to preserve games, and has famously created an essentially perfect SNES emulator called bsnes (now rolled into higan). If you're not well-versed in emulation, that's more impressive than it sounds—it takes a modern 3+ GHz CPU to perfectly emulate the SNES's 3.58 MHz chip, which is why virtually every other emulator relies on hacks and tricks to emulate games at playable framerates on PCs. Only the eagle-eyed will spot differences between good and perfect emulation, but it's an important distinction for preservation.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-ethics-of-emulation-how-creators-the-community-and-the-law-view-console-emulators/
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,646

Post#1230 » by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:20 pm

Downloaded Ruiner last night. Fun little game.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1231 » by WRau1 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 10:20 pm

Pumped for Dragon's Dogma tomorrow.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#1232 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Oct 3, 2017 2:12 pm

So I’ve never played Stardew Valley and I think it comes out on the Switch tomorrow for $15...might as well cop.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#1233 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 3, 2017 2:41 pm

Switch is the perfect avenue to play Stardew Valley on. I am thinking of picking it up again, actually. I moved on on the PC and started playing Starbound before ultimately picking up a Switch and diving into Zelda, so I've been sidetracked from both. But yeah, I might get Stardew again now. Playing that game with a keyboard I actually found to be not great. Having it in the palm of your hand, I imagine, will feel wonderful.

Only downside is lack of mods, but the base game is still very good.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1234 » by jschligs » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:36 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
machu46 wrote:Anyone else jump on Fortnite Battle Royale since it's free? It's so much fun.

I've barely played enough Battlegrounds to consider playing a different version of it. That said, the whole way Epic approached that gives me a sour taste. It feels like Hi-Rez dropping Paladins shortly after Overwatch launched.

Downloaded it yesterday and have a few rounds in. Pretty fun and the cartoonish style is a change of pace. The game mode is similar to PUBG but the playstyle is much much different.

Also thinking of getting Stardew for $15. Looks fun. Edit - Stardew doesn't come out until Thursday
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Post#1235 » by humanrefutation » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:52 am

Thinking of getting Stardew, too. I can find myself getting sucked into that really quickly, and it seems like an excellent game for a portable console. But damn, I want to get a basketball game (probably 2K). And FIFA. And SMO is coming up. And I need to finish Zelda.

So many decisions.
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#1236 » by BucksStatsGuy » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:02 pm

Ugh, that price point on Stardew is going to make me buy it, even though I just purchased FIFA and am still working on Mario + Rabbids. And then in a month all of them go away for Mario.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1237 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:35 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:Ugh, that price point on Stardew is going to make me buy it, even though I just purchased FIFA and am still working on Mario + Rabbids. And then in a month all of them go away for Mario.

Hows Fifa this year?
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1238 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:02 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Thinking of getting Stardew, too. I can find myself getting sucked into that really quickly, and it seems like an excellent game for a portable console. But damn, I want to get a basketball game (probably 2K). And FIFA. And SMO is coming up. And I need to finish Zelda.

So many decisions.

The Switch may not have a lot of games so early in its life cycle, but hot damn does it have so many quality games that are worth playing. Such a strong first year.
snoogans8056
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#1239 » by snoogans8056 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:44 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
BucksStatsGuy wrote:Ugh, that price point on Stardew is going to make me buy it, even though I just purchased FIFA and am still working on Mario + Rabbids. And then in a month all of them go away for Mario.

Hows Fifa this year?

Frustrating. Completely changed defense. Went from being in division 1 for seasons to going 1-10 so far. I really don't even like playing it.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1240 » by jschligs » Wed Oct 4, 2017 4:05 pm

snoogans8056 wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

Hows Fifa this year?

Frustrating. Completely changed defense. Went from being in division 1 for seasons to going 1-10 so far. I really don't even like playing it.

From what I've heard FIFA on Switch isn't running the Frostbite engine, mainly because they nixed the story mode, but then they decided to cut it from actual gameplay. The devs said they "could've" put it on Switch but decided to build it from the ground up. AKA they couldn't get it on to the Switch.

I beat Zelda: BotW last night, amazing finish. Can't wait to go back through and finish side quests and the shrines. As I said earlier, has my GotY for singleplayer games, and maybe for any game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks