OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,234

Re: OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1661 » by dbrodz7 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:26 am

Ryan5UW wrote:
dbrodz7 wrote:I just ordered a new robot vacuum from Amazon (we've never had one), we just opened up the box and it was dirty, grimy, and the brushes were completely covered with hair and dirt. They literally packaged a returned vacuum straight off of someone's disgusting floor and shipped it to me. I wish I could get a picture on here!

Damn, I would be pissed! Sorry to hear that, that really sucks! Was it sold by Amazon, or one of those third party stores?

It was a different company that only sells through Amazon. Amazon is the one that screwed it up, they took responsibility for it and deleted my review immediately after posting about the other company.
Misery loves company
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#1662 » by glenn » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:41 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Also picked up a cheap copy of Mass Effect: Andromeda at Gamestop for $12. Is it as underwhelming/disappointing as everyone has been saying it is? Was a huge fan of the first 3 games but I admittedly let the reviews affect my decision to wait for prices to go down before buying.

I think so. The Mass Effect series is one of my favorites of the last generation (and I'm a major apologist for the end of ME3), but I didn't bother finishing Andromeda. It's not even the notorious issues with graphics that bothered me. I don't think I enjoyed a single gameplay/story/design choice they made. Maybe I'll come back to it some day, but my backlog was already getting large before I bought a Switch.
:reporter:
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#1663 » by glenn » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:00 am

Ryan5UW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Kotaku re-ran an old article about how Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is still great today. Does anyone else here think as highly of the game as I do? I thought it was a great article that articulated AC:BF's excellence: treat it like a pirate simulator and do as little traditional AC stuff as possible. I feel like many skipped what I consider one of the best games of the past five years because of AC fatigue, or they played the game the wrong way. The naval stuff is so incredibly great. I'm only finally digging into AC: Origins tonight because I found out it also has some naval stuff.

Great call - this was my favorite AC game, by far. Although, to be honest I tend to like pirate-themed stuff (video games, movies, TV shows) so that makes me a little biased, but this was a very good game.

I'm with you guys, Black Flag was amazing. I was underwhelmed by the ship stuff in AC 3, so I was surprised how great it was in Black Flag.
:reporter:
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#1664 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:07 pm

Anyone use a headset for gaming on the PS4? Looking for a recommendation - doesn't need to be the most amazing thing ever, want to stick under/around $100. Not sure if this is even possible, but if they could pair with my iPad too, that would be great (but not necessary).
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1665 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:09 pm

glenn wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Kotaku re-ran an old article about how Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is still great today. Does anyone else here think as highly of the game as I do? I thought it was a great article that articulated AC:BF's excellence: treat it like a pirate simulator and do as little traditional AC stuff as possible. I feel like many skipped what I consider one of the best games of the past five years because of AC fatigue, or they played the game the wrong way. The naval stuff is so incredibly great. I'm only finally digging into AC: Origins tonight because I found out it also has some naval stuff.

Great call - this was my favorite AC game, by far. Although, to be honest I tend to like pirate-themed stuff (video games, movies, TV shows) so that makes me a little biased, but this was a very good game.

I'm with you guys, Black Flag was amazing. I was underwhelmed by the ship stuff in AC 3, so I was surprised how great it was in Black Flag.

Man I didnt love the Ship battles in Black Flag, the first few were awesome no doubt, but then it got kinda a grind to keep fighting navel battles. Maybe I need to re DL and revisit. Never beat the game.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1666 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:14 pm

I finally started Stardew Valley this past week, and oh boy, that game is a treat. I don't know what it is, but it's soothing. Like it plays to my OCD lizard brain to do things efficiently, but it's not an anxiety box. Really enjoying getting deep into the summer season to harvest some melons and blueberries.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1667 » by jschligs » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:06 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:That brings up a good question I’ve never heard answered. Are roombas and the like actually worth a ****?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering this too. My kitchen/dining room are wood floors and my dog sheds like a mf'er, so I've considered getting one for in there, but I'm also afraid it might bang up my wood table, chairs and cabinets.

They're ok if you have pets and wood floors. The dust pans are pretty tiny and small things can clog the brush. Most are lined with rubber so it shouldn't mark up your furniture. It's definitely not a replacement for vacuuming/sweeping.

My dog sheds a ton, the only issue I have with picking one up is my dog would attack the thing the minute it starts moving. She doesn't like vacuums even though I've tried desensitizing her to it.

Sauce Boss wrote:I finally started Stardew Valley this past week, and oh boy, that game is a treat. I don't know what it is, but it's soothing. Like it plays to my OCD lizard brain to do things efficiently, but it's not an anxiety box. Really enjoying getting deep into the summer season to harvest some melons and blueberries.

That game was a strange one for me. I picked it up on the Switch, played for like an hour and was like ok...don't think I'll like this much. Next day I fired it up again and played for a couple hours. Not soon after it became a nightly ritual haha.

Still don't really know what I'm doing, but that's the fun part. So much to explore at any time without any real restrictions or anything. Just go as you please.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#1668 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:13 pm

jschligs wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
I was wondering this too. My kitchen/dining room are wood floors and my dog sheds like a mf'er, so I've considered getting one for in there, but I'm also afraid it might bang up my wood table, chairs and cabinets.

They're ok if you have pets and wood floors. The dust pans are pretty tiny and small things can clog the brush. Most are lined with rubber so it shouldn't mark up your furniture. It's definitely not a replacement for vacuuming/sweeping.

My dog sheds a ton, the only issue I have with picking one up is my dog would attack the thing the minute it starts moving. She doesn't like vacuums even though I've tried desensitizing her to it.

My dog does too, it's awful. That's why I was thinking about getting one of these - I could probably clean every other day and barely keep up with her, but let's be honest - I'm just not going to do that. So something like this would be great, at least in theory.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#1669 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm alone in that it was the first AC game that pretty much turned me off from the series, and the bolded part is the reason why in hindsight. Treated it like a pirate simulator is a good way to view it, because for me it just deviated way too much from what the series was about (stealth combat and not having to use "vehicles" to navigate an open world environment). The overly-ambiguous story did start wearing on me around Brotherhood and AC3 though, so it was probably more coincidence that I tuned out when Black Flag dropped. Probably in the minority but I think that Revelations is the best one and incredibly underrated. Origins looks promising and I might give it a shot.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1670 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:16 pm

jschligs wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:I finally started Stardew Valley this past week, and oh boy, that game is a treat. I don't know what it is, but it's soothing. Like it plays to my OCD lizard brain to do things efficiently, but it's not an anxiety box. Really enjoying getting deep into the summer season to harvest some melons and blueberries.

That game was a strange one for me. I picked it up on the Switch, played for like an hour and was like ok...don't think I'll like this much. Next day I fired it up again and played for a couple hours. Not soon after it became a nightly ritual haha.

Still don't really know what I'm doing, but that's the fun part. So much to explore at any time without any real restrictions or anything. Just go as you please.

Still don't really know what I'm doing, but that's the fun part. So much to explore at any time without any real restrictions or anything. Just go as you please.[/quote]
Yeah, it's a weird beast. I'm playing it on PC because I bought it cheap during a sale several months ago and let it sit. One of my friends is playing on Switch and another on PC, so I decided to try it on an afternoon that I had to myself. I've been struggling to make time to play games over the past year, and it was really refreshing to just have something just grab me. I think it might be that it just is a good way to unwind, as it's so low-pressure. I can just spend a half hour fishing and feel good. It's an odd sensation that I don't have quite the words for yet, but it makes me feel good and that's all that counts. It's my honorable mention for my top ten games of the year since it launched last year and doesn't technically qualify.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1671 » by BuckHole » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Polygon's counting down their top 500 games. They're rolling it out with 100 every day.

500-401
400-301
300-201

I don't get up in arms over these lists and I have to think a lot of work goes in, but some of the choices so far have been baffling.

Mortal Kombat (377), Ninja Gaiden (342), Deus Ex (332), Tekken 3 (304), MVP Baseball 05 (270), Halo 2 (229), Warcraft 2 (226), Red Dead Redemption (224), and Doom (219) would likely make my top 100. Some of those probably my top 20.

I enjoyed reading, thanks for sharing.
Also, Zelda: Breath of the Wild is terrific. Wowie wow wow!
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#1672 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:25 pm

glenn wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:

Black Flag is phenomenal. The sea shantys take it to the next level.

Very interested to see if Skull and Bones can effectively expand on the pirate elements of BF.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1673 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:17 am

Some interesting stuff at The Game Awards so far:

Zelda DLC launches....right now. Go play it.
Bayonetta 1 & 2 on Switch in February. Bayonetta 3 in development exclusively for Switch.
Soul Caliber VI announced.
Firewatch developer Campo Santo is working on a new game set in Egypt called In the Valley of the Gods.
New Death Stranding footage.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#1674 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:07 pm

Well that footage was weird as hell.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1675 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Well that footage was weird as hell.

I have no idea what is going on with that game, and I come away with more questions than answers with every glimpse of new footage.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,617

Post#1676 » by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:15 pm

I wonder what Kojima's dreams are like.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#1677 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:23 pm

It's Kojima, so it's either going to be weird and great (MGS3, Zone of Enders) or it's going to be weird and terrible (MGS4).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#1678 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:40 pm

Holy crap Fortnite now has 50vs50.

Definitely gonna eat up a chunk of my weekend.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#1679 » by H2tObes » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:32 pm

You guys are missing out if youre not playing Fortnite, best multiplayer experience Ive had in years
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1680 » by engelmartin » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:36 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:It's Kojima, so it's either going to be weird and great (MGS3, Zone of Enders) or it's going to be weird and terrible (MGS4).

I liked MGS4 a lot, just wish it wasn't obviously unfinished. Collecting soldiers based on letter grades was awesome.

Unfortunately, that was exactly when Konami decided to shift their efforts strictly to Pachinko parlors.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History

Return to Milwaukee Bucks