ImageImage

OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Re: OT: 2017 Video Game/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1681 » by crkone » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Holy crap Fortnite now has 50vs50.

Definitely gonna eat up a chunk of my weekend.

It's pretty interesting. I would try to find the zerg as soon as possible when playing. I did watch one match yesterday where it was like 16-7 players left and the RND of the zone made the large zerg have to leave a mountain where they got picked off one by one. I just wish there was local chat for better strats.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,115

Post#1682 » by FrieAaron » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:10 pm

H2tObes wrote:You guys are missing out if youre not playing Fortnite, best multiplayer experience Ive had in years

My daughter likes it a lot, but I find the controls to be kind of wonky. I don't know how to explain it - they just seem kind of loose.

50v50 sounds cool, though. I like big battles like that. Did anyone here play Guild Wars 2? I loved the big castle sieges in that game.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#1683 » by H2tObes » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:37 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
H2tObes wrote:You guys are missing out if youre not playing Fortnite, best multiplayer experience Ive had in years

My daughter likes it a lot, but I find the controls to be kind of wonky. I don't know how to explain it - they just seem kind of loose.

50v50 sounds cool, though. I like big battles like that. Did anyone here play Guild Wars 2? I loved the big castle sieges in that game.

I'm guessing you've been playing on console? I'm on PC and just made the controls comfortable for me. The building can definitely feel wonky until you are used to it. I love Fortnite because it doesn't take itself too seriously and is more about having fun rather than a realistic experience, which was my main problem with games like PUBG and H1Z1. Things like the bounce pad have made for some very memorable gaming experiences, and the things you can do with the building are just insane
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1684 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:43 pm

engelmartin wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:It's Kojima, so it's either going to be weird and great (MGS3, Zone of Enders) or it's going to be weird and terrible (MGS4).

I liked MGS4 a lot, just wish it wasn't obviously unfinished. Collecting soldiers based on letter grades was awesome.

Unfortunately, that was exactly when Konami decided to shift their efforts strictly to Pachinko parlors.

Do you mean MGS5?
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,053

Post#1685 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:45 pm

H2tObes wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

I'm guessing you've been playing on console? I'm on PC and just made the controls comfortable for me. The building can definitely feel wonky until you are used to it. I love Fortnite because it doesn't take itself too seriously and is more about having fun rather than a realistic experience, which was my main problem with games like PUBG and H1Z1. Things like the bounce pad have made for some very memorable gaming experiences, and the things you can do with the building are just insane

I like how quickly you can get in and out of Fortnite, but I still enjoy the 4x4 Ghost War in Ghost Recon a lot more. Love how quiet it is and the thrill that comes when you're playing a night match in a dark forest, creeping silently, stalking the other team.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#1686 » by FrieAaron » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:53 pm

H2tObes wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

Nah, I play on PC. I have tried, but playing FPS with a controller just drives me crazy. Something about the aiming just feels off to me. Maybe it's just that I come from a history of fast paced arcade shooters so I want to be able to move around and jump while shooting without it affecting my accuracy. I've read that it helps to stand still while you're shooting which for me goes against 20 years of what I've trained myself to do.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1687 » by engelmartin » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:54 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
engelmartin wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:It's Kojima, so it's either going to be weird and great (MGS3, Zone of Enders) or it's going to be weird and terrible (MGS4).

I liked MGS4 a lot, just wish it wasn't obviously unfinished. Collecting soldiers based on letter grades was awesome.

Unfortunately, that was exactly when Konami decided to shift their efforts strictly to Pachinko parlors.

Do you mean MGS5?

Oh yeah oops. MGS4 was garbage.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#1688 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:59 pm

Yeah, I loved MGS5 and it's probably one of my Top-5 favorite open world games ever. MGS4 was basically just a 20-hour long cut-scene.
H2tObes
RealGM

Post#1689 » by H2tObes » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:10 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
H2tObes wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

Nah, I play on PC. I have tried, but playing FPS with a controller just drives me crazy. Something about the aiming just feels off to me. Maybe it's just that I come from a history of fast paced arcade shooters so I want to be able to move around and jump while shooting without it affecting my accuracy. I've read that it helps to stand still while you're shooting which for me goes against 20 years of what I've trained myself to do.

I totally get where you are coming from, it's kinda like going from Quake to Counter Strike. I used to play CS back in the day so I'm more used to the standstill shooting. Fortnite has the perfect pace for me, you never to wait very long for action, whereas when I was playing PUBG there were times I waited 20 minutes for action.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1690 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:13 pm

Why didn't any of you PC nerds tell me about NVIDIA GeForce NOW?
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#1691 » by Gianstoppable » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:17 pm

Played Fortnite the other weekend. Seems like it would be much easier to play on PC, too many controls (that said I played for about 10 minutes and skipped the tutorial like a n00b) Love the idea but do different materials have different strength? I busted through a brick wall just as easy as some scrap wood
#FreeChuckDiesel
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1692 » by engelmartin » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:23 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, I loved MGS5 and it's probably one of my Top-5 favorite open world games ever. MGS4 was basically just a 20-hour long cut-scene.

Did you play Nier Automata? Not that it's a similar game at all, it's pretty much just a glorified Button Masher, but the environments/graphics/world are extremely well done and look amazing. The bosses are often larger than anything from Shadow of the Colossus.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
H2tObes
RealGM

Post#1693 » by H2tObes » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Why didn't any of you PC nerds tell me about NVIDIA GeForce NOW?

Honestly haven't heard about it until now, seems like an amazing idea though. Literally Netflix for games. I think I will give this a try
H2tObes
RealGM

Post#1694 » by H2tObes » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:33 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:Played Fortnite the other weekend. Seems like it would be much easier to play on PC, too many controls (that said I played for about 10 minutes and skipped the tutorial like a n00b) Love the idea but do different materials have different strength? I busted through a brick wall just as easy as some scrap wood

Yes, when you build with brick it takes a lot more shots to knock down than wood, and metal is stronger than both. I think they make all material quick to gather because who wants to sit there for long periods of time hitting a wall down?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#1695 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:36 pm

engelmartin wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, I loved MGS5 and it's probably one of my Top-5 favorite open world games ever. MGS4 was basically just a 20-hour long cut-scene.

Did you play Nier Automata? Not that it's a similar game at all, it's pretty much just a glorified Button Masher, but the environments/graphics/world are extremely well done and look amazing. The bosses are often larger than anything from Shadow of the Colossus.

I've heard of it. Sadly I think it's a PS4 exclusive, and with Christmas shopping yet to be done I just can't justify dropping money on a new console. Loved Shadow of the Colossus, and I still might pick up a cheap PS3 copy of the HD remastered version.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1696 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:44 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
engelmartin wrote:

I've heard of it. Sadly I think it's a PS4 exclusive, and with Christmas shopping yet to be done I just can't justify dropping money on a new console. Loved Shadow of the Colossus, and I still might pick up a cheap PS3 copy of the HD remastered version.

It's on PC as well, though that version has some bugs that haven't been officially addressed for several months. Playable to my understanding, but it should've been patched a few times over by now.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#1697 » by crkone » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:56 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
engelmartin wrote:Did you play Nier Automata? Not that it's a similar game at all, it's pretty much just a glorified Button Masher, but the environments/graphics/world are extremely well done and look amazing. The bosses are often larger than anything from Shadow of the Colossus.

It's on PC as well, though that version has some bugs that haven't been officially addressed for several months. Playable to my understanding, but it should've been patched a few times over by now.

I think there are some mod fixes on nexusmods

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#1698 » by FrieAaron » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:00 pm

H2tObes wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Why didn't any of you PC nerds tell me about NVIDIA GeForce NOW?

Honestly haven't heard about it until now, seems like an amazing idea though. Literally Netflix for games. I think I will give this a try

I was in a beta for a similar service years back called OnLive. it was neat but, as you would expect, even the least bit of latency makes games unplayable. I wouldn't have paid for that, but again this was years ago and a different service.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1699 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:25 pm

crkone wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

I think there are some mod fixes on nexusmods

True, but you shouldn't have to rely on fan fixes for a game to function properly.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1700 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Looking forward to finally seeing what PUBG is all about. Now I just have to dust the Xbox off.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks