ImageImage

OT: Europe Trip

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Re: OT: Europe Trip 

Post#161 » by Beorn » Sat Sep 2, 2017 7:06 pm

Hehehe, I think I've slept in that tiny terminal in Berlin too :)
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#162 » by ReginaldDwight » Sat Sep 2, 2017 7:33 pm

Why I always book direct with airlines tbh.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#163 » by ReginaldDwight » Fri Dec 1, 2017 12:01 am

Bumping any of you guys been to Rome or Italy around March?
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#164 » by BucksStatsGuy » Fri Dec 1, 2017 12:59 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:Bumping any of you guys been to Rome or Italy around March?

I have, any specific questions you have?
tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Post#165 » by tyland » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:17 am

Have a trip booked for the end of the year. One leg is in Europe, the rest in the US. I hope people don't object to me asking for recommendations for places in the US in this thread :) Travelling with the wife.

In essence the trip is this - flying out from Melbourne on Xmas Eve. Arrive in Knoxville TN (also on Xmas eve) to spend a week in East Tennessee with these friends. Then we are going to road-trip to Nashville, Memphis and down to New Orleans over about 7-8 days.

From NO, we fly to London for a week to visit another friend. The plan is to spend time in London town and then explore out to Bath, Stonehenge, Cornwall and Oxford.

From London, we fly back to the US for a week in San Fran and then a night in LA to see a mate on the way home. When in San Fran, the plan is to drive out to Yosemite for a night or two, and also drive to Sacramento to see an NBA game against the Jazz (believe it or not, I will pass through 3 NBA towns and none have home games when we are there).

Would love to hear peoples recommendations for things to do at any of the places I'm passing through.

Cheers
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,498

Post#166 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:51 am

I don't like country music for the most part but I like Nashville. Hang out on Broadway, lots of clubs, live music in all of them starts in the morning. No cover charges. Good BBQ. The Jack Daniels tour was cool, about an hour from Nashville. I even enjoyed going to the Grand Ole Opry.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#167 » by trwi7 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:58 am

tyland wrote:Have a trip booked for the end of the year. One leg is in Europe, the rest in the US. I hope people don't object to me asking for recommendations for places in the US in this thread :) Travelling with the wife.

In essence the trip is this - flying out from Melbourne on Xmas Eve. Arrive in Knoxville TN (also on Xmas eve) to spend a week in East Tennessee with these friends. Then we are going to road-trip to Nashville, Memphis and down to New Orleans over about 7-8 days.

From NO, we fly to London for a week to visit another friend. The plan is to spend time in London town and then explore out to Bath, Stonehenge, Cornwall and Oxford.

From London, we fly back to the US for a week in San Fran and then a night in LA to see a mate on the way home. When in San Fran, the plan is to drive out to Yosemite for a night or two, and also drive to Sacramento to see an NBA game against the Jazz (believe it or not, I will pass through 3 NBA towns and none have home games when we are there).

Would love to hear peoples recommendations for things to do at any of the places I'm passing through.

Cheers

Oh, so we're not good enough?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#168 » by Prince12 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:03 am

Im sorry that the only NBA game you'll get is Kings v Jazz...thats really unfortunate.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
tyland
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: OT: Europe Trip 

Post#169 » by tyland » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:14 am

trwi7 wrote:
tyland wrote:Have a trip booked for the end of the year. One leg is in Europe, the rest in the US. I hope people don't object to me asking for recommendations for places in the US in this thread :) Travelling with the wife.

Cheers

Oh, so we're not good enough?
If you only invited me...

But seriously, went in 2015. Planning to go back maybe end of next year when the new arena is done. Had to prioritise a catch up with some friends in the South this trip

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
SAVE OUR BUCKS
tyland
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: OT: Europe Trip 

Post#170 » by tyland » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:15 am

Prince12 wrote:Im sorry that the only NBA game you'll get is Kings v Jazz...thats really unfortunate.
Yeah, it's not ideal. But will be interesting to check out their new arena and see Ingles and Rubio (who is also my wife's favourite player)

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
SAVE OUR BUCKS
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#171 » by ReginaldDwight » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:27 am

BucksStatsGuy wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Bumping any of you guys been to Rome or Italy around March?

Hows the weather, and is it gonna be full of tour groups. Cool areas to rent an Airbnb in? looking at a week in Rome probably
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#172 » by BUCKnation » Fri Dec 1, 2017 4:44 am

Cheers

I've been to Bath, Stonehenge and Oxford. All cool spots. I was there when I was younger, so I don't remember all of the specifics, but I'm basically saying your trip ideas in England are worth it. Stonehenge is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so you'll probably have to make something of a day of it, even though besides the rocks there isn't much to see.
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore

Post#173 » by BucksStatsGuy » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:58 pm

tyland wrote:From NO, we fly to London for a week to visit another friend. The plan is to spend time in London town and then explore out to Bath, Stonehenge, Cornwall and Oxford.

If you have any time while in London, I'd recommend taking a stop by Bristol. It's only a 40-45 minute train ride from London from what I remember. Maybe I just have a soft spot for the year I spent there, but I really loved it. Has almost a college town feel to it with the University being right in there, lots of great clubs/pubs, and if you like Cider it's probably the best place in the world to go. LOT of culture/art/history. Plus you can walk around and see a ton of Banksy
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore

Post#174 » by BucksStatsGuy » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:06 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
BucksStatsGuy wrote:

Hows the weather, and is it gonna be full of tour groups. Cool areas to rent an Airbnb in? looking at a week in Rome probably

Rome will always have tour groups, just the nature of things, but March should be relatively tourist free compared to other seasons. Weather could be cold, though it seems every time I've gone there in March it's turned out great. Probably looking in the 40s on average, but you can get highs up to 60. Luckily, Rome is a pretty walkable city if you don't mind it, so if I had to recommend somewhere to stay, it might be near the Piazza de' Renzi south of the Tiber River. I went there for the first time in August since the area had 2 or 3 of some of the best beer bars in the world, and it seemed like just an awesome nightlife. Otherwise, an area a little closer to downtown and closer to the 'sights' is near the Fontana di Campo de' Fiori, and from what I remember, that also seemed like a really nice area with lots of great food and bars around it
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Post#175 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:38 pm

I stayed a couple blocks north of Castel Sant Angelo, just northwest of downtown Rome. It's certainly more quiet, with far less traffic. Nice area, but had I do to it over again I would have stayed downtown.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#176 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:41 pm

Cheers

Nashville is a blast. I didn't care for the Grand 'Ol Opry. I would tell you to stay downtown and just go bar hopping/walk around until you find a spot that suits you. Always a TON of music and good vibes going down. I would try to hit Nashville or NO for NYE. Both would be a blast.

Stonehenge is pretty blah. Its a good ways out of the way from London and will cost you more time and money than its worth. And there is NOTHING there besides the rocks. If you have to do it go ahead but I wouldn't recommend. Bath is nice, worth a quick stop. I can never remember if I liked Oxford or Cambridge. The other one was less than stellar. Its been a while. LOTS to see and do in London. If you are going to day trip from there take the chunnel to Paris (80 min) or the train to Edinburgh (4 hours); both are far better destinations IMO.

Yosemite is awesome but Muir Woods is closer and really impressive. Make sure you make time to get there. And Lake District in England is a blast if you are so inclined but I don't know if the weather will cooperate.

Someone mentioned Rome. I would add to make sure you know the hours of things. The first time I went to Rome I missed the Vatican because they closed at 1:00 my last available day. Weird **** like that was always happening in Italy.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:05 pm

OH! I HIGHLY recommend going with a tour guide package for any and all sights in Italy. For not a lot of money they'll hook you up with passes that let you skip lines to any of the famous sights. Just walking out of the Vatican and seeing the monster line we missed made the whole thing worth it.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#178 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:53 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:OH! I HIGHLY recommend going with a tour guide package for any and all sights in Italy. For not a lot of money they'll hook you up with passes that let you skip lines to any of the famous sights. Just walking out of the Vatican and seeing the monster line we missed made the whole thing worth it.

It really doesn't cost much more than entry fees but I have never had a good tour guide. They use all their fun and personable people to sell tickets and then stick you with someone who has no business leading a group.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#179 » by jschligs » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:09 pm

Has anyone ever been to Colmar, France? GF and I are going to London -> Colmar -> Paris and then back home in April/May. Total round trip flights to and from Europe was less than $800 including bags.

Wondering if anyone has ever been to Colmar, we decided to split up the big cities and see something that's a little more unusual.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:23 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:OH! I HIGHLY recommend going with a tour guide package for any and all sights in Italy. For not a lot of money they'll hook you up with passes that let you skip lines to any of the famous sights. Just walking out of the Vatican and seeing the monster line we missed made the whole thing worth it.

It really doesn't cost much more than entry fees but I have never had a good tour guide. They use all their fun and personable people to sell tickets and then stick you with someone who has no business leading a group.

To be honest I barely remember a thing from even the good guides I had. But the line skipping and in some cases the access (we got into an area of the Colosseum that the general public couldn't) made it worth it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks