ImageImage

Thon Development Part 2

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Re: Thon Development Part 2 

Post#1021 » by Chapter29 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:35 pm

DingleJerry wrote:Generally I don't see the fluid-ness and dexterity anywhere near what I'd hope if I'm expecting him to be anything more than a catch/shoot guy. That was there from the get go with Giannis. Thon looks way too stiff, doesn't seem to have quick twitch jumping either. Basketball IQ looks terrible, but he's played so little actual games so I get it and should improve. He's one year in and a small body of evidence and I'd say the catch/shoot 3 looks legit. So I think there's a good chance he makes it as a legit NBA player. But that's a big difference from what some folks on here are talking about for him with these super high expectations. I'd pump the breaks and just be happy if he's a good contributor rather than get my hopes up like he's the next Giannis or KG.

He is a coach on the floor, knows the plays very well, directing players and calling them out for wrong doing. As Rookie he was doing this and it was accepted by the vets and youngin's alike. Why when they asked, I fogot...Delly? Well because he's always right he said.

Basketball IQ is not a problem.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1022 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:38 pm

242 regardless is encouraging. That's still a lot of weight, especially given his stature. Hopefully he's maintaining flexibility and not just trying to get swole.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Douggystyle29
Junior
And1: 37

Post#1023 » by Douggystyle29 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:40 pm

Good to hear he is getting PR's that is a good sign. I would be happy if Thon becomes a high level defender and a consistent and reliable outside shooter for us especially from the 3. I don't ever see him being a high level offensive player because he doesn't have the greatest hands but that's ok IMO. If he is a 3 and D guy and manages somehow to become an above average rebounder I would be thrilled.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#1024 » by bigkurty » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:45 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Read on twitter yesterday that Thon hit a PR on bench of 242. I know bench press is not a basketball skill but that's not great. I'm 175 lbs and can hit 235.

Saw that too. I was 150 lbs in HS and I could do that. Found it odd they were kind of bragging about it.

Though I remember there was something about KD when he got drafted that he couldn't do even 1 rep at whatever bench thing they did a the combine or some kind of workout, I don't remember the specifics. But i'm sure it's online somewhere

When I was a Freshman in college, I weighed about 190 and was maxing at 315 pounds. My daily sets at the time were 245 10 times, 255 8 times, and 265 6 times. So yeah it is not that good in the grand scheme of things for a professional athlete.

A few people have told me though that the taller you are, the harder it is to be really good at bench and putting on bulk. I am 5' 7.5" and built with a broad shoulders and a large chest relative to my height so genetically it would probably be easier for someone like me to be good at the bench. His frame might make it really hard to make gains on the bench. At the same time, does a strong bench help him much for his sport? Probably not. It would be interesting to talk to Suki and ask her what muscle groups they view as the most important for basketball players. I imagine muscles that help with jumping, first step explosion, and core strength are the most important but that is just a guess.

The average MR. Universe guy is approximately 5'9" so I imagine for bulk strength gains, that is probably around the ideal height. But then again, should we even care about the bench numbers since they are obviously two very different athletes who have very different requirements in their respective sports.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#1025 » by DingleJerry » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:45 pm

Chapter29 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Generally I don't see the fluid-ness and dexterity anywhere near what I'd hope if I'm expecting him to be anything more than a catch/shoot guy. That was there from the get go with Giannis. Thon looks way too stiff, doesn't seem to have quick twitch jumping either. Basketball IQ looks terrible, but he's played so little actual games so I get it and should improve. He's one year in and a small body of evidence and I'd say the catch/shoot 3 looks legit. So I think there's a good chance he makes it as a legit NBA player. But that's a big difference from what some folks on here are talking about for him with these super high expectations. I'd pump the breaks and just be happy if he's a good contributor rather than get my hopes up like he's the next Giannis or KG.

He is a coach on the floor, knows the plays very well, directing players and calling them out for wrong doing. As Rookie he was doing this and it was accepted by the vets and youngin's alike. Why when they asked, I fogot...Delly? Well because he's always right he said.

Basketball IQ is not a problem.

Maybe and hopefully you're right. But not from what I saw, looked like a chicken with his head cut off on D and robotic on O. Maybe IQ wasn't the right word though, maybe something like instincts. But like I said, he's played so little that I'm by no means writing him off on that front. Plus the energy, alertness, effort is clearly there and that's like half the battle. So hopefully once he learns the nuances of the game that it's not a problem.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#1026 » by blazza18 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 9:09 pm

BucksPackers wrote:People doubted Giannis and People will doubt Thon. Only time will tell we obviously know what Giannis looks like it took 3 years for him to get this good. So we at least need to give Thon 3 full seasons before we start saying hes only a 3D guy or he will never put on muscle. A lot of people said that Giannis would never put on muscle either look at him now. I mean KD is still pretty thin and it works for him.

Lets give Thon the time he deserves. I mean Kidd only gave him like 5 mins a game last season. Giannis was in a different spot where he was given like 20-30 mins a game his first season. Giannis has a leg up on his development.

Giannis was light years ahead of Thon at a younger age.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,032

Post#1027 » by midranger » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:08 am

blazza18 wrote:
BucksPackers wrote:People doubted Giannis and People will doubt Thon. Only time will tell we obviously know what Giannis looks like it took 3 years for him to get this good. So we at least need to give Thon 3 full seasons before we start saying hes only a 3D guy or he will never put on muscle. A lot of people said that Giannis would never put on muscle either look at him now. I mean KD is still pretty thin and it works for him.

Lets give Thon the time he deserves. I mean Kidd only gave him like 5 mins a game last season. Giannis was in a different spot where he was given like 20-30 mins a game his first season. Giannis has a leg up on his development.

Giannis was light years ahead of Thon at a younger age.

Giannis is 2 years younger than Thon and top 10 in the NBA. Thon just washed out of summer league.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#1028 » by AussieBuck » Sat Aug 5, 2017 12:21 am

If the three ball is legit he's going to be a high impact role player. Such a good fit for Giannis.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,889

Post#1029 » by Fotis St » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:43 am

Some here forget how good Thon looked.
This is just a reminder...
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#1030 » by Ron Swanson » Sat Aug 5, 2017 10:45 pm

I guess he'll be a role player only if you believe that all bigs who aren't proficient at creating their own offense fall under that category. I see Rasheed Wallace potential, and he was a lot more than just a role player.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,812

Post#1031 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:01 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I guess he'll be a role player only if you believe that all bigs who aren't proficient at creating their own offense fall under that category. I see Rasheed Wallace potential, and he was a lot more than just a role player.

Or I mean only if you don't believe he's a multiple all-star like a Rasheed Wallace.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,010

Post#1032 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:37 pm

AussieBuck wrote:If the three ball is legit he's going to be a high impact role player. Such a good fit for Giannis.

hawes on offense and birdman on d. I'm down.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1033 » by AussieBuck » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:59 pm

If he's spacing to the point where opposing centres have to guard him that's like a +3 rapm type impact. Add to that however high his defensive impact is and the higher that goes the more 'stars' he's gone past impact wise.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1034 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:02 am

Look at the impact of having Bargnani/Okur taking centres out of the action for Bosh/Boozer.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#1035 » by mke_design » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:12 am

im 165 and bench 245 and deadlift 485. This means nothing about anything basketball related. Just ask KD
*The weight KD couldn't get was 185 - and I'm 6'0 tall for reference which is tall for a power lifter and can confirm bench has been the single hardest thing to find success at due to the long levers which require more work or... (Work=Force x Distance), (Force=Gravity x mass)
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,010

Post#1036 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:14 am

AussieBuck wrote:If he's spacing to the point where opposing centres have to guard him that's like a +3 rapm type impact. Add to that however high his defensive impact is and the higher that goes the more 'stars' he's gone past impact wise.

these days every team in the league has a counter to when their traditional centers are having trouble guarding space. he can be a nice little chess piece but when your counter is to sub in norman powell types to negate his impact then describing him has having more than "stars impact" is a quite the reach imo.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1037 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:40 am

Small ball effect without having to punt rim protection is huge.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1038 » by AussieBuck » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:41 am

Every team would go small all the time if there wasn't any downside
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1039 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:22 am

Anybody else think it's a little weird that this thread turned into on online **** measuring contest about how swole some bros get on the bench press and deadlifting?
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#1040 » by Aaron It Out » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:45 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Anybody else think it's a little weird that this thread turned into on online **** measuring contest about how swole some bros get on the bench press and deadlifting?

do you even lift?
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks