ImageImage

Poll/Discussion: Would you trade Middleton for the Nets Pick?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Would you trade Middleton for the Nets pick (Boston deal)?

Yes, it makes sense
44%
No, keep Middleton, he's too valuable
56%

Total votes: 165

Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Re: Poll/Discussion: Would you trade Middleton for the Nets Pick? 

Post#81 » by Diggr14 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm

smauss wrote:amp, its going to take close to 2 years before we know what we have in Parker......

Nice thing is.. even in 2 years, Giannis will be 24 and Parker 23.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,929

Post#82 » by ampd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
ampd wrote:I mean I understand the infatuation with perpetual youth, but I heard for years on here that we needed to tank for a superstar, and that that guy needed at least one other star to be a contender.

We literally have that superstar already, and Khris is a really good 2nd best player. If our FO can't find a 3rd guy to go with them, and surround them with other quality players and a coach that doesn't make the team worse, just move the team to Seattle.

Khris is a good 3rd guy, he's not a 2nd guy IMO. Overrated due to nerd metrics which are influenced by stat padding scorekeepers. I just dont think he's a guy that moves the needle appreciably like championship level 2's do (think Klay, Kyrie)...

IMO Draymond is the 2nd best player on those last 2 Warriors teams not Klay.

Also if you swapped Klay to the bucks and Khris to the Warriors I don't think it makes any difference to the Warriors but you'd see pretty quickly how much more well rounded Khris' game is than Klay's.

You are overvaluing flashy scoring numbers and big individual scoring games from Klay and undervaluing Khris because he wasn't a high lotto pick and has played on awful Bucks teams.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#83 » by Diggr14 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:We've got a week before another game so I'm tossing it out here because thought it was an interesting discussion from Sparky's show. Last night he and Terrell were talking about whether or not you'd trade Middleton to Boston for the 2017 Nets pick that is currently the #1 lotto seed by a large margin.

I'm not sure Boston makes that deal given Middleton's health and the fact that pick should now be guaranteed top four. That said, was an interesting hypothetical if Boston felt their window was this year and next year.

Wouldn't the 2018 Brooklyn pick make more sense? Unprotected, plus a year out. Boston might be more willing to deal that. Deandre Ayton / Bamba - big man draft. Plus Luka Doncic looks like an amazingly fluid SG.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,951

Post#84 » by Perishable517 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 pm

LuessiT wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:You trade Middleton for a pick and you set the Bucks timeline back 2-3 years and run the risk he doesn't pan out.

I don't think the Bucks are built to handle a setback like that.

Trading Jabari for the Nets pick would be a very different discussion though.

That's the whole idea behind the trade imo. We should try to set our timeline back after Jabari's injury if our goal is to build a championship teamso this sort of trade is exactly what we should do. I don't like the value that much though.

Giannis is becoming a Superstar (with a capital S) NOW, not in 2-3 years. I'm feeling pretty certain he wants to start to taste real success and not wait.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,365

Post#85 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 pm

ampd wrote:Put this another way:

Would anyone here trade Giannis and Middleton for DeRozan and Lowry? Gobert and Hayward? Bradley and Crowder? Wall and Beal?

Why is it then, that those teams are all currently 10+ games over .500 and going to win the order of 50 games and we're not?

If we wouldn't trade our top 2 guys for theirs and none of those teams have a legit 3rd star, why are they so much better than we are? Should those teams be tanking too then?

The answer isn't because we haven't tanked enough, it's because we're a horribly mismanaged and coached franchise. Still.

Sometimes saying the same thing over and over 100 times allows one to recast it in a more persuasive way. I think you did that above.

Our top 2 guys are hands are better than Boston/Toronto's top 2 or Atlanta's top 2 for that matter. Why the heck then is our team the one in chaos and five games under .500 as the trade deadline approaches.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,951

Post#86 » by Perishable517 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:You trade Middleton for a pick and you set the Bucks timeline back 2-3 years and run the risk he doesn't pan out.

I don't think the Bucks are built to handle a setback like that.

Trading Jabari for the Nets pick would be a very different discussion though.

I think you underestimate what an impact PG can do for a team even as a first or second year player. Remember TJ Ford?

Yes, but there's a huge gap from adding that talent to our current team and sacrificing Middleton for him.

I do agree the right PG can make a big impact

I'm still of the belief that Brogdon IS going to be that point guard. Reason? I feel he can play off of Giannis better and Giannis is going to be the playmaker.

What happened to the board? Do we now not want to have Point Giannis?
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#87 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
Wouldn't the 2018 Brooklyn pick make more sense? Unprotected, plus a year out. Boston might be more willing to deal that. Deandre Ayton / Bamba - big man draft. Plus Luka Doncic looks like an amazingly fluid SG.

I'll trade them Jabari for the 2018 Nets pick. But for Middleton I need a sure thing, and it looks like that 2017 Nets pick is 95% guaranteed to be 1 through 4 this draft.

ampd
RealGM

Post#88 » by ampd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 pm

smauss wrote:amp, its going to take close to 2 years before we know what we have in Parker...... BTW, I hope you know that I certainly agree with you about our FO, especially our head coach Sweeney. Oooops, I mean Kidd 8-)

I'm pretty much just counting Parker as a lottery ticket at this point. Anything we get for him or turns into is a total freeroll, and I wouldn't make any future plans or personnel decisions based on conjecture about how well he's going to play when he comes back.

If he does come back at 100% then great we've hit the jackpot.

But as far as planning the future goes, I'd pretty much just treat it like he's not even on the roster.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#89 » by Chapter29 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 pm

I think I keep the sure thing in Mids.

There are no guarantees drafting, even as high as they will.

Taking the chance and getting lucky means a player better than Middleton.

Plus we trade him and they will win a few more games making the pick potentially worse than it sits now.

Torn, voted no.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#90 » by Max Green » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 pm

If we trade Middleton for the "#1" pick now then we will have 2 top 5 picks by the end of the season. The Nets pick and our own, as long we trade Monroe as well of course.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 422

Post#91 » by smauss » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Would love to keep discussing this but I gotta go watch some flat track motorcycle racing at the BC.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#92 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Max Green wrote:If we trade Middleton for the "#1" pick now then we will have 2 top 5 picks by the end of the season. The Nets pick and our own, as long we trade Monroe as well of course.

We could send them Middleton and Monroe for Amir Johnson and perhaps Tyler Zeller/Jerebko to make the salaries work. Plus obviously the Nets pick.

I think I'd also want their other number 1 pick coming back this way, but yeah, I'd do that.

I get the sentiments above about how we have to win now with Giannis. But Dan Gilbert and LeBron felt that way also the first go around and it didn't work out so well.

ampd
RealGM

Post#93 » by ampd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
ampd wrote:Put this another way:

Would anyone here trade Giannis and Middleton for DeRozan and Lowry? Gobert and Hayward? Bradley and Crowder? Wall and Beal?

Why is it then, that those teams are all currently 10+ games over .500 and going to win the order of 50 games and we're not?

If we wouldn't trade our top 2 guys for theirs and none of those teams have a legit 3rd star, why are they so much better than we are? Should those teams be tanking too then?

The answer isn't because we haven't tanked enough, it's because we're a horribly mismanaged and coached franchise. Still.

Sometimes saying the same thing over and over 100 times allows one to recast it in a more persuasive way. I think you did that above.

Our top 2 guys are hands are better than Boston/Toronto's top 2 or Atlanta's top 2 for that matter.

If I were the Bucks I'd refuse a trade of Giannis+Middleton for the top 2 players of any team in the East other than Cleveland. IMO we have a clearly better top 2 guys in Giannis and Middleton to build around than:

east
----
BOS
WAS
TOR
ATL
IND
CHI
DET
MIA
CHA
ORL
BKN

west
------
HOU
UTA
MEM
OKC
DEN
SAC
POR
NOP
DAL
LAL
PHO

If that's true and we wouldn't trade our top 2 guys for any of those teams' top 2 guys, I can't possibly see how we can say top end talent is our problem.

Where those teams (and the best teams) absolutely murder us is in the 3-9th rotation guys and the coaching staff.

When you look at teams like the Rockets and Celtics, they don't have a ton of guys that jump out at you as stars, but what they also don't have is an entire roster of 8th-9th men in the rotation type guys. The Rockets only have Harden as a star, but they have a bunch of proven quality NBA rotation players like Ariza, Nene, Beverley, and Corey Brewer, who while not world beaters on their own, are all good 2 way players that fit their identity. Boston has IT putting up big scoring numbers, but they have Bradley, Crowder, Horford, and Amir Johnson who are all starting caliber guys.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#94 » by Chapter29 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 pm

But you need a core 3 IMO to compete for a title. We have a Core of 2 right now of course.
Giannis
is
UponUs
ampd
RealGM

Post#95 » by ampd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 pm

Chapter29 wrote:But you need a core 3 IMO to compete for a title. We have a Core of 2 right now of course.

Trading Khris for a draft pick doesn't give us a core 3, it gives us a core of 1.

That draft pick could maybe develop into a core of 2. Which is still not a core of 3.

If you really want to Ultra tank, trade Giannis for both of the Nets picks the Celtics have and whatever other future assets you can get, and get what you can for Khris and Monroe. Then we can be the 76ers.

It makes no sense to me to try to halfway tank with a superstar already on the roster when there are 10+ teams in the NBA whose FO could put together 50+ win 2nd round+ teams with the 2 best players we already have.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,296

Post#96 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Max Green wrote:If we trade Middleton for the "#1" pick now then we will have 2 top 5 picks by the end of the season. The Nets pick and our own, as long we trade Monroe as well of course.

I don't think we'd lose enough to have a Top 5 worst record even if we traded Middleton and Monroe and ran out the youngins for the rest of the season. We already have 25 wins. We'd have to go something like 2-25 down the stretch to even get into the convo for having one of the top 5 worst records. Unless we shut down Giannis and play Henson at point guard, I can't see that happening.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,022

Post#97 » by Plossum » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 pm

I voted no. I get the temptation considering Khris's injury but investing in a top pick further delays the timeline for this team and there's a decent chance the pick wouldn't be better than Khris anyway.

But if a top pick can land you kevin Love i doubt Boston would do it.
#LockUpChuck
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#98 » by Max Green » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

I don't think we'd lose enough to have a Top 5 worst record even if we traded Middleton and Monroe and ran out the youngins for the rest of the season. We already have 25 wins. We'd have to go something like 2-25 down the stretch to even get into the convo for having one of the top 5 worst records. Unless we shut down Giannis and play Henson at point guard, I can't see that happening.

We are only 5 losses out the 5th worst record in the league. We just went 2-12 in a 14 game span over the last month or so. We still have a road trip coming up where we play 6 straight games on the west coast. We can definitely get into top 5 if we trade Middleton and Monroe.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,110

Post#99 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 pm

ampd wrote:
It makes no sense to me to try to halfway tank with a superstar already on the roster when there are 10+ teams in the NBA whose FO could put together 50+ win 2nd round teams with the 2 best players we already have.

exactly. khris is ready made and Giannis is ready made. we need to build a team around them with some basic moves.... not trade one of them and try to draft another guy in their mold to replace them. discussing either of these 2 for a draft pick is completely different than Jabari whose style of play was potentially going to be an issue.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,928

Post#100 » by Fotis St » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:44 pm

No, of course ... It is a lottery after all. What number would that be and who would be available and how many years will it take him to get to prime Khris stage... No. There is no time. Giannis' window is for 4 years. No time to reset
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks