ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers 2017-18 Season Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2017-18 Season Thread 

Post#361 » by skitch815 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't see anything wrong with UW fans on here being disappointed or even angry but the people sending messages talking junk at him on Twitter need to reevaluate their lives.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#362 » by BUCKnation » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 pm

With the exception of Ellenson, not going to Wisconsin for some of these huge recruits sure has worked out well...
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#363 » by Wiscfan92 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Tough blow for UW, but will make it all that much sweeter to see the program excel without him. Maybe not this season, but I'm confident the program will have more success than Herro in the future. Hope we get to play whatever team he's going to.
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
MidnightBuck
Junior
And1: 219

Post#364 » by MidnightBuck » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 pm

skitch815 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with UW fans on here being disappointed or even angry but the people sending messages talking junk at him on Twitter need to reevaluate their lives.

You mean Frank Kaminsky? Tweeted him "#soft" then deleted it after DJO called him out. But I'd agree Kaminsky should reevaluate his life.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#365 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 am

Why are MU fans on this thread? Oh yeah...your baby thread is like 9 pages deep. Go get your shinebox.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#366 » by buckboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 am

MidnightBuck wrote:
skitch815 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with UW fans on here being disappointed or even angry but the people sending messages talking junk at him on Twitter need to reevaluate their lives.

You mean Frank Kaminsky? Tweeted him "#soft" then deleted it after DJO called him out. But I'd agree Kaminsky should reevaluate his life.

When you win an NIT game you can come post in the big boys thread.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#367 » by mattg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:50 am

hoping Herro tweets that at the salty UW fans for the ultimate hype and controversy.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#368 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:01 am

What a bizarre thing to hope for. Weirdo.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Wisconsin Badgers 2017-18 Season Thread 

Post#369 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:19 am

Consider me proud to be a part of the ONLY fanbase in America that has a small subset of salty fans that tweet @ recruits.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#370 » by GB_Packers » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:24 am

mattg wrote:Image
hoping Herro tweets that at the salty UW fans for the ultimate hype and controversy.

Boy. You sure showed those UW fans. What an insightful post.
MidnightBuck
Junior
And1: 219

Post#371 » by MidnightBuck » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Consider me proud to be a part of the ONLY fanbase in America that has a small subset of salty fans that tweet @ recruits.

Zak Showalter and Frank Kaminsky, faces of your program and leaders of your fanbase, were the worst offenders. This is what UW does...
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,056

Post#372 » by MVP2110 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm

MidnightBuck wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Consider me proud to be a part of the ONLY fanbase in America that has a small subset of salty fans that tweet @ recruits.

Zak Showalter and Frank Kaminsky, faces of your program and leaders of your fanbase, were the worst offenders. This is what UW does...

Seriously, what is your issue? I root for both UW & Marquette(admittedly UW first) but your making Marquette fans look terrible right now. It's like you want Badger fans to hate Marquette fans.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#373 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm

MidnightBuck wrote:

I don’t think Showalter’s was bad...he likely knew him from recruiting when Zak was still there and was giving an older brother, “what are you doing right now, man?” response given how late in the process it was.

And beyond that, every **** fanbase does it. Maybe the only point you have is this happens a bit more often to UW given that they aren’t a good landing spot for the high 4 or 5 star players usually so we see it more often.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#374 » by buckboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Marquette fans talking about ethics. It doesn't get any more ironic than that.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#375 » by DingleJerry » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Looney, Tokoto, Stone, Hauser, Herro, Ellenson, and I think I'm forgetting one or two. Can find one off and excuses for all but there's a trend here. Dekker is the only one that worked and he was clearly all-in right away, if you get that take it. Koenig had his UNC offer but he was still in the 50-70 range like I'm talking about targeting. Seems to me our bread and butter should be the guys just below that level just like Reuvers, Davison, King. They know they're not immediate NBA guys and you also get more bang for you buck as you're getting 3 years at least from them.

That's...exactly what they're already doing. Bo Ryan tried to get all of the guys you listed that aren't recent (Gard) recruits and then fell back to the Davison, King, Koenig, Reuvers, Illikainen (oops), Hayes grouping.

This is just an odd year where two things blew up in their face and the Herro one was a public event. Both Gard and Bo have been crafty with getting guys like Trevor Anderson, Showy, Trice, Gasser, etc. in the program so you have a safety net when your "aim high" fails if you can't fall back to the next range you speak of. But 40-50% of their recruits are in the range that you are speaking of. Herro was in that group before he climbed the charts later in the process. They'll get plenty more fringe-top 100 guys after this. They won't be able to fill their entire roster with them, though, so a few scholarships will go to guys like Hedstrom.

They did not do that this year. They went all in on two kids in the top 50, one that should bet top 20 when it's done. I suppose Hauser might fall as I think he broke his foot at the end. I'm not saying you don't try, you have to. I'm saying to not go all in on them, they're left with scraps now. If they'd have stayed on someone like Laszewski they'd have had him, instead they ignored him for Hauser. Herro of course killed them with the timing, but if he almost backed out way back in June they should have known this could happen and be ready. Probably nothing they could do there though as all their backups are committed now. More or less I'm just saying the all or nothing move on Hauser is probably not a route they should keep doing. They're like 1/8 on top 40ish guys in their state in spite of all the success and O-fer on people with 1 and done ambition, it is what it is.

It seems like Days will probably be on the edge of that ranking area but has been falling the last I seen, with his family it seems he could be a Dekker type who's all in early and either way is development guy with no inkling of 1 and done so good shot there. Johnson has 1 and done written all over him, being so local maybe you can get an exception out of him too but I wouldn't bank on it and wouldn't have all my eggs in that basket, especially since you're only getting 1 year anyway. He's been defending on Herro on twitter too for what that's worth. It seems there is two freshman in MKE this year that will be extremely high ranked but obviously very young right now, IDK their AAU affiliations but if they're out of MKE our chances are low.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#376 » by DingleJerry » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51 pm

MidnightBuck wrote:

IDK, I'd wager lots of money that saying 'soft' and 'what are you doing' are nowhere even close to the worst offenders of what he received on twitter. And if you don't think this happens with every major fanbase in CBB and CFB you're delusional. If Hauser picked UW he'd have gotten the same roast from MU boneheads on twitter, and just choosing a different school isn't nearly as bad to do as holding a spot for a year just to ditch it right before signing day when there's no time to find a replacement.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#377 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Looney, Tokoto, Stone, Hauser, Herro, Ellenson, and I think I'm forgetting one or two. Can find one off and excuses for all but there's a trend here. Dekker is the only one that worked and he was clearly all-in right away, if you get that take it. Koenig had his UNC offer but he was still in the 50-70 range like I'm talking about targeting. Seems to me our bread and butter should be the guys just below that level just like Reuvers, Davison, King. They know they're not immediate NBA guys and you also get more bang for you buck as you're getting 3 years at least from them.

That's...exactly what they're already doing. Bo Ryan tried to get all of the guys you listed that aren't recent (Gard) recruits and then fell back to the Davison, King, Koenig, Reuvers, Illikainen (oops), Hayes grouping.

This is just an odd year where two things blew up in their face and the Herro one was a public event. Both Gard and Bo have been crafty with getting guys like Trevor Anderson, Showy, Trice, Gasser, etc. in the program so you have a safety net when your "aim high" fails if you can't fall back to the next range you speak of. But 40-50% of their recruits are in the range that you are speaking of. Herro was in that group before he climbed the charts later in the process. They'll get plenty more fringe-top 100 guys after this. They won't be able to fill their entire roster with them, though, so a few scholarships will go to guys like Hedstrom.

They did not do that this year. They went all in on two kids in the top 50, one that should bet top 20 when it's done. I suppose Hauser might fall as I think he broke his foot at the end. I'm not saying you don't try, you have to. I'm saying to not go all in on them, they're left with scraps now. If they'd have stayed on someone like Laszewski they'd have had him, instead they ignored him for Hauser. Herro of course killed them with the timing, but if he almost backed out way back in June they should have known this could happen and be ready. Probably nothing they could do there though as all their backups are committed now. More or less I'm just saying the all or nothing move on Hauser is probably not a route they should keep doing. They're like 1/8 on top 40ish guys in their state in spite of all the success and O-fer on people with 1 and done ambition, it is what it is.

It seems like Days will probably be on the edge of that ranking area but has been falling the last I seen, with his family it seems he could be a Dekker type who's all in early and either way is development guy with no inkling of 1 and done so good shot there. Johnson has 1 and done written all over him, being so local maybe you can get an exception out of him too but I wouldn't bank on it and wouldn't have all my eggs in that basket, especially since you're only getting 1 year anyway. He's been defending on Herro on twitter too for what that's worth. It seems there is two freshman in MKE this year that will be extremely high ranked but obviously very young right now, IDK their AAU affiliations but if they're out of MKE our chances are low.

Herro was not in that range when they went after him and he committed, I don’t think.

They go for the blue chip players and they’ve filled the scholarships with the Showalter’s-types when they miss. When there is clear playing time available (and they win a recruiting battle) they get Reuvers, King, Davison, Koenig, Hayes.

Laszewski went to Notre Dame were there are...FIVE senior forwards that leave before he gets there. Are you sure the Badgers would’ve gotten him? A lot of guys want playing time as a freshman.

Also, if Laszewski committed early, he was a mid 3-Star player. Obviously we have the benefit of hindsight, but are you sure everyone would be praising Gard if he passed on the 5-Star talents in the state for a 3-Star guy (that blew up late in the process)?

You’ll say yes, but itll be a load of BS.

They’re not gonna get Days and they’re not gonna get Johnson but they’ll try.

They can’t fill all 12 scholarships with 4 Star players.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#378 » by skones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Marquette fans are jealous of Wisconsin. Wisconsin could really give two **** about Marquette does. That's what it boils down to.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#379 » by buckboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

I still think they have a pretty good chance with Days.

Johnson would take a miracle. Or, ya know, the NCAA actually doing it's job and bringing the hammer down on filthy programs like UNC and Kansas.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#380 » by DingleJerry » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Spoiler:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Herro was not in that range when they went after him and he committed, I don’t think.

They go for the blue chip players and they’ve filled the scholarships with the Showalter’s-types when they miss. When there is clear playing time available (and they win a recruiting battle) they get Reuvers, King, Davison, Koenig, Hayes.

Laszewski went to Notre Dame were there are...FIVE senior forwards that leave before he gets there. Are you sure the Badgers would’ve gotten him? A lot of guys want playing time as a freshman.

Also, if Laszewski committed early, he was a mid 3-Star player. Obviously we have the benefit of hindsight, but are you sure everyone would be praising Gard if he passed on the 5-Star talents in the state for a 3-Star guy (that blew up late in the process)?

You’ll say yes, but itll be a load of BS.

They’re not gonna get Days and they’re not gonna get Johnson but they’ll try.

They can’t fill all 12 scholarships with 4 Star players.

Yes Herro was always ranked top 50ish and had blue blood ambition. If I recall he was hurt last season that might have kept him that low instead of top 25 like he'll probably end up. I simply don't know how you're arguing that they didn't only went after two kids in this class, it's exactly what happened. They only made two offers in the class until after Hauser decided. It was his whole sales pitch to these two kids, you're our only guys you're all we're offering etc. Hey I'm not going to knock him for trying it, it almost worked on both. But now that you've tried it and failed I'd say to not go that route again and make sure to cast a wider net going forward so you're not left holding the bag.

All insider stuff is if Laszewski would have been recruited he'd have been ours. Remember we also lose all our big guys after next year too. He was always ranked in the top 100 and I'd say once he grew from 6'7 to 6'9 or 10 whatever they call him now it would been a good move considering Hauser's connect to MU. Could have given Hauser the ultimatum on it. I liked this kid the whole time, wished we had another spot for him the whole time as he was always a pure shooter. Who knows you could have even waited until after Hauser decided as long as you maintained constant contact with him instead of ignoring.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks