ImageImage

Woj: Karnisovas promoted to Denver GM: Zanik remains pg 80

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: Stein: Bucks opening up the GM search 

Post#81 » by bizarro » Wed May 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Though at face value this is confusing to some, I actually am in full support of this move. We have a Giannis. We should be casting a net to all qualified and strong candidates in hopes of striking gold. Zanik was brought in for a clear secession plan and that plan was thwarted when Hambone left so expeditiously and early. Why would we not open up a round of interviews to really go for it? And, yes, it is a tad challenging this close to the draft. And, yes, I cringe at the thought of Lasry; Kidd; and Thorn being intimately involved in the process.

BUT, this is actually good process imho. You don't receive these opportunities often. And, when you do, it is wise to cover all the bases to make as informed a decision as possible.

In other news, I absolutely CRINGE at the thought of Thorn bringing in Doug Collins. Either way, these Bucks sure are entertainment. Lulz.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#82 » by M-C-G » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Many criticize the Bucks for letting Hammond walk before the draft. But if you knew he was going to Orlando at some point then cutting bait NOW is the right thing to do. It will be interesting to see if any other teams will let someone interview with us before the draft and especially sign with us before the draft. Unless we are going after a "free agent".

I don't understand this logic unless you think that Hammond was going to "throw" the draft. Now whoever we bring in is going to hard pressed, exactly what happened when Hammy came in and drafted Joe Alexander. If anything you keep him until after the draft and then go about your business...This whole thing is a giant mess
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,085

Post#83 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Because in an ideal world Hammond is still around, instead of taking the knowledge he has on us to Orlando. Hammond forced the Bucks' hands.

The guy we were going to jettison and the guy we had under contract somehow had the leverage here?

What? He got an extension. He was under contract through next season. If he didn't get the Magic job he'd still be here. That was obviously the preferred situation here. Hammond still here for the draft, another season to evaluate Zanik.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,778

Post#84 » by emunney » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
emunney wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:
Don't you have a Phd from Duke or something? You might be overqualified.

Many of my friends do, but nope, I don't have that level of formal bonafides. I am too much a generalist (or dilettante, depending on your opinion of me) to care enough about a topic narrow enough for long enough to earn a PhD. I worked at Duke for a half decade, but not in a capacity that would qualify me for a position higher than data monkey.

Gotcha.

Well you work at Duke -> Mike Krzyzewski works at Duke -> You are as smart as Mike Krzyzewski -> emunney for Bucks GM

If I could pick anybody I've met, I'd take Mike Zarren. He's not leaving Boston, though.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#85 » by buckboy » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Garden Of Edens wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Have It All wrote:The people wanting Hinkie make me laugh.

Why?

Why?? I'll list all the good things he has done in Philly..

You can not be serious. Oh wait, yes you can. You actually think Hammond was a good GM.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#86 » by crkone » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

buckboy wrote:
crkone wrote:The best part of this is the new GM has to accept Kidd as their head coach. Can't make this stuff up... :rofl:

IF that's the case this is a massive cluster****.

This a huge risk/reward for me. It's either really good or really bad. And I'm leaning heavily to really bad at this point.

There are a few possibilities:

Kidd stays on and they hire a lackey GM who will fall in line.
Kidd stays on and the new GM will evaluate Kidd before firing or retaining him based how he is doing.
Kidd stays on and we miss out on GMs who don't want to deal with Kidd's insanity.
They fire Kidd before the GM search and the GM gets to pick his coach.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
emunney
RealGM

Post#87 » by emunney » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

The draft is pretty much the simplest thing a GM does. I don't think we should be worried about getting a GM on short notice for the draft. What we should be worried about is *not having a GM*. There's **** to do, guys!
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,102

Post#88 » by RiotPunch » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

This feels like Lasry walking around telling people, "YOU'RE FIRED!" whenever Kidd's job security comes into question. Hammond wants him canned, gets overruled and bolts. Zanik shares Hammond's opinion of Kidd and gets his GM opportunity revoked.

I HOPE this is us simply making sure we do our due diligence to find the right guy to lead us for the next several years. The right guy to find the right coach for our guys, and the guy we can trust to put the right pieces around Giannis. Either that, or we're looking for a guy cool with sharing the decision making with Kidd, let alone keeping him as coach.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Garden Of Edens
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#89 » by Garden Of Edens » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

buckboy wrote:
Garden Of Edens wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Why?

You can not be serious. Oh wait, yes you can. You actually think Hammond was a good GM.

And you think Hinke is?????? Wow smh
buckboy
RealGM

Post#90 » by buckboy » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

crkone wrote:
buckboy wrote:
crkone wrote:The best part of this is the new GM has to accept Kidd as their head coach. Can't make this stuff up... :rofl:

IF that's the case this is a massive cluster****.

This a huge risk/reward for me. It's either really good or really bad. And I'm leaning heavily to really bad at this point.

There are a few possibilities:

Kidd stays on and they hire a lackey GM who will fall in line.
Kidd stays on and the new GM will evaluate Kidd before firing or retaining him based how he is doing.
Kidd stays on and we miss out on GMs who don't want to deal with Kidd's insanity.
They fire Kidd before the GM search and the GM gets to pick his coach.

Pretty much:
--Sucks
--Sucks, but less
--Sucks
--Home run
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#91 » by freewhitemoon » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Hinkie would be awesome and his bad drafting is overblown. Okafor is really the only miss, the dude was sharp enough to toss MCW back at peak value knowing he was a scrub. Also managed to find good players like Covington and Richaun Holmes from the scrap pile.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#92 » by Gianstoppable » Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Is this real life?
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM

Post#93 » by crkone » Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm

emunney wrote:The draft is pretty much the simplest thing a GM does. I don't think we should be worried about getting a GM on short notice for the draft. What we should be worried about is *not having a GM*. There's **** to do, guys!

I mean it's not like we ever hired a GM on short notice who went on to draft a bad player or something.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
buckboy
RealGM

Post#94 » by buckboy » Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Garden Of Edens wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Garden Of Edens wrote:

And you think Hinke is?????? Wow smh

Of course.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,365

Post#95 » by BucksFanSD » Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

mcfromage wrote:Good news IMO. I hope Hinkie gets interviewed.

This.
emunney
RealGM

Post#96 » by emunney » Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

crkone wrote:
emunney wrote:The draft is pretty much the simplest thing a GM does. I don't think we should be worried about getting a GM on short notice for the draft. What we should be worried about is *not having a GM*. There's **** to do, guys!

I mean it's not like we ever hired a GM on short notice who went on to draft a bad player or something.

That was always an insulting excuse for a blown pick.
crkone
RealGM

Post#97 » by crkone » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm

emunney wrote:
crkone wrote:

That was always an insulting excuse for a blown pick.

It was also an outlier in his 1st round draft profile.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,866

Post#98 » by Prez » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm

This 'all Hinkie did was blow it up and tank' stuff has to be one of the dumbest myths still being thrown around.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#99 » by M-C-G » Wed May 24, 2017 5:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Because in an ideal world Hammond is still around, instead of taking the knowledge he has on us to Orlando. Hammond forced the Bucks' hands.

The guy we were going to jettison (Hammond) and the guy we had under contract (Hammond) somehow had the leverage here?

What? He got an extension. He was under contract through next season. If he didn't get the Magic job he'd still be here. That was obviously the preferred situation here. Hammond still here for the draft, another season to evaluate Zanik.

What? So how did Hammond force our hand? We had to give permission to let him interview, didn't we?
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,807

Post#100 » by SirChurros » Wed May 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Prez wrote:This 'all Hinkie did was blow it up and tank' stuff has to be one of the dumbest myths still being thrown around.

If you want to add, "he fleeced a few teams in trades," be my guest. He's still not a great GM.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks