ImageImage

Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

who should be the next GM of the Bucks

Sam Hinkie
47%
Justin Zanik
10%
Michael Zarren (Celtics assistant GM)
No votes
David Griffin
No votes
Jason Kidd/Ed Stefanski/I want to watch the world burn
No votes
Adam Simon
10%
Pat Garity
No votes
Arturas Karnisovas
20%
Becky Hammon
10%
Other please List
3%

Total votes: 30

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Re: Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll) 

Post#241 » by Pachinko_ » Sun May 28, 2017 11:37 pm

What scares me is the time pressure

The Bucks dont have to make any radical decisions this summer but they do have to make some decisions, and any rushed/wrong move in the fronts of Jabari/Snell/Monroe could put them in a hole for years.

Last thing we need is someone in who will turn around years later and say "I screwed up the Jabari/Snell/Monroe contracts because I was on the team for 5 mins and didnt have time to prepare properly, like Hammond (allegedly) said about the Joe Alexander pick.

Finding a GM to make those decisions is not the easiest thing in the world, for all we know a person who has the right skills and experience and is also available and willing to relocate to MKE might not even exist right this minute. I mean they can always just keep Zanik, but there must be a reason why they (or Zanik himself) dont think he is suitable otherwise they would have already installed him.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,676

Post#242 » by chonestown » Sun May 28, 2017 11:48 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Speaking of Hinkie, the guy that helped trade Andre Iguodala, Nikola Vucevic, Mo Harkless and a first (Elfrid Payton pick) for Andrew Bynum is the one leading our search for GM.

Also drafted Mike Jordan "El GATO," tho. Boom-roasted, delicious tears, billionaires with a "B" much smarter than you and me.

He also was part of the Sixers group that hired Sam Hinkie to clean up his mess :reporter:.

Game of Thorns
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#243 » by bizarro » Mon May 29, 2017 12:10 am

chonestown wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Also drafted Mike Jordan "El GATO," tho. Boom-roasted, delicious tears, billionaires with a "B" much smarter than you and me.

He also was part of the Sixers group that hired Sam Hinkie to clean up his mess :reporter:.

Game of Thorns

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#244 » by M-C-G » Mon May 29, 2017 12:21 am

bizarro wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:He also was part of the Sixers group that hired Sam Hinkie to clean up his mess :reporter:.

Game of Thorns

Sure Johnny. You have final say on the draft pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#245 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:15 am

Come to the belief that I'm less concerned about which one of these guys is hired and more interested in making sure that guy has the ability to run the show as it relates to the team.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#246 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 29, 2017 4:35 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Come to the belief that I'm less concerned about which one of these guys is hired and more interested in making sure that guy has the ability to run the show as it relates to the team.

I'm more concerned that the guy we're looking for actually exists to be honest

You can't just go to the grocery store and get your pick of GM's who are experienced, skilled, are currently available, want to relocate, and are happy to deal with the potential dysfunctionality of a coach with unknown reach in his powers. My fear is we will find nobody and with the draft and free agency coming up we'll be forced to settle for a total rookie or a wash out or generally somebody unsuitable. Who will then be presented as a great success, and it will take us years to understand and admit the f*ck up.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#247 » by paulpressey25 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 am

^^^any guy coming in worth his salt will want to hire the coach and/or be able to replace Kidd as a condition of taking the job.

If they hire a guy who doesn't demand that power, then that guy isn't worth hiring. Hammond part II.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#248 » by Pachinko_ » Mon May 29, 2017 4:50 am

yep
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,285

Post#249 » by HKPackFan » Sat Jun 3, 2017 4:09 am

#FreeChuckDiesel
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,565

Post#250 » by Profound23 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 5:13 am

Just saw Kidd and his wife on my flight from LA.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,549

Post#251 » by th87 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 6:21 am

Profound23 wrote:Just saw Kidd and his wife on my flight from LA.

Were you able to Inception him into quitting?
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#252 » by TTP » Sat Jun 3, 2017 7:24 pm

sdn40 wrote:
What has Hinkie built ? Why was he essentially fired ? Why hasn't he been re-hired ?

Have It All wrote:That's a big could. What multiple stars are the Sixers going to land with their assets?

Hinkie gets way, way too much love around here. If he were that spectacular, he'd have a gig.

sdn40 wrote:
Every once in a while a topic comes up that allows the perpetual tankers and roster full of 19 year olds backers to come out of the woodwork. Hinkie is their wet dream. Damn the fact that we are well passed the point of tanking. Damn the draft results he had. Damn the fact that he hasn't shown he can assemble a team properly or evaluate veteran players or rosters. Damn the fact that he can't sniff an NBA job since. Must be the trainwreck phenomenon.

sdn40 wrote:
How do you think Hinkie is going to magically get that superstar talent while others can't ? Just give one off the wall scenario that doesn't involve trading off the roster, which anyone can do, and would most likely piss off Giannis. Also one question continues to go unanswered by Hinkie supporters. If he is such a genius, why was he fired and can't sniff another position in the NBA ?

sdn40 wrote:
And maybe for good reason. And by the way, we open up a new arena soon. Taking 3 steps backwards to hopefully, maybe, possibly take 4 steps forward in 5 years is not the best way to go. And again, if Hinkie is such a genius, why is he unemployed ? If he is half the legend you guys make him out to be it's gotta be one of the most curious questions in the history of mankind. Area 51 and the meaning of life has nothing on why Hinkie doesn't have 5 rings already

Hinkie is a divisive figure and I could go on at length debating with people his merits knowing it would lead nowhere as both sides of the argument have made up their minds on the matter. However, the most frustrating aspect of any Hinkie discussion is that it is an absolute certainty that you will see misinformation/ignorance from his detractors.

The bolded arguments that "he can't be great because he doesn't have a job" are one such example. Hinkie is still bound by a non-compete agreement that will expire this summer. He would need the Sixers' approval before seeking a job with another team.

It will be interesting to see if there is interest once the non-compete expires. It's possible that he will be blackballed by the NBA, though if that's the case, his future unemployment would not be a result of perceived incompetence as a GM - it would be a result of his non-conformity to NBA expectations.

Daryl Morey stated that he would hire Hinkie back as an assistant in a second but that Sam likely wouldn't be interested. A half dozen other executives and GMs expressed similarly (https://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/30/sam-hinkie-after-the-process-philadelphia-76ers). This should be enough evidence that Hinkie could easily get another job in the NBA if he wanted to, and fully counter these bolded arguments.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#253 » by JHSFIVE » Mon Jun 5, 2017 1:10 pm

I went with Karnisovas. Hinkie would be great but I'm not putting much into that with him not being on the interview list. I like the euro angle that Karnisovas brings. This is a player driven league and players ultimately go where they want(see GSW, CLE). Yeah, we have GA but there are plenty teams with plenty blue chippers(NO, MN, etc) and players aren't dying to go there. The European route could be a possible way around or through all of that mess. Perhaps Karnisovas could be a part of the recruitment/trust building on the Euro front similar to the Don Nelson/Dirk recruitment... Just my .02.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks