ImageImage

Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

who should be the next GM of the Bucks

Sam Hinkie
47%
Justin Zanik
10%
Michael Zarren (Celtics assistant GM)
No votes
David Griffin
No votes
Jason Kidd/Ed Stefanski/I want to watch the world burn
No votes
Adam Simon
10%
Pat Garity
No votes
Arturas Karnisovas
20%
Becky Hammon
10%
Other please List
3%

Total votes: 30

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Re: Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll) 

Post#161 » by bigkurty » Sat May 27, 2017 7:43 am

I don't get why Owners are so damn cheap on GM's. Like 3 million annually seems kind of the high point from what I can find that looks legit. Yet they will be fine with their GM's giving Miles **** Plumlee 12.5 Million annually.

Lets go talk to RC and give that dude a 5 year 20 million dollar deal. Why the hell not?
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#162 » by Diggr14 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 am

I am firmly in the Freeway camp for G.M.

The power play of best available ex-Golden Eagle players versus best available Schwartz client would be epic... and exactly what our owners deserve!
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#163 » by Chapter29 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am

5 people voted for Kidd? :crazy:
Giannis
is
UponUs
turbo2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#164 » by turbo2k » Sat May 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Of the list, I have to say Hinkie, even though I think he is far from a savant. He pulled a couple nice trades, and got the owners to OK tanking, THAT IS ALL. Yet he gets elevated to some weird elite status.

I would have said Buford, but THAT AIN"T HAPPENING FOLKS!
Newz wrote:I would also like it to be known that David Lee has not won an ESPY yet. This is **** ridiculous and it is obvious that they are doing it just to put him down. He should win all awards.
David Lee = Robbed again.

http://www.saveourbucks.com
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#165 » by hege53190 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:08 pm

kid idioteque wrote:Also, wow that Hinkie Kool-Aid must be strong stuff. He proved nothing with Philadelphia except that he could and would stash draft picks until literally being REMOVED BY THE NBA.

He was there 3 years. 3 Years. He turned a roster of Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner and a future of mediocrity into one of the brightest outlooks in the NBA.

It is strong stuff because he understands that getting a player in free agency this year to get you 5 extra wins and move you from 26 to 31 wins is not nearly as important as developing a player or gaining a draft pick that could help you win the conference finals 4 years down the road.

There are 3 trades for the 76ers and 1 for the Rockets that exemplifies Hinkie:

The first is the Jrue Holiday trade. He was a very good young player but never going to be the best player or second best player on a deep playoff team. So instead of sticking in mediocrity, he traded him for 2 lottery picks. In the process gaining young controllable talent and making his team worse so that he would get a higher pick the following year but making the future much much brighter.

The second is the MCW trade. Again he realized that MCW was not a future star so he traded out for more draft capital that could maybe develop into a star or be traded for a star. This directly affects the Bucks because how great would it be to have the Lakers unprotected pick next year. Not just because of who we could draft but because who we could trade it for. We could immediately be in on any Paul George or Butler trade. Both players would immediately give the Bucks a dark horse chance at the finals.

Third trade Sixers got a 2017 pick swap (they moved from 5th to 3rd), 2019 unprotected pick (looks to be really good), Nik Stauskas for taking on Jason Thompson and Carl Landry.

The Houston trade that was significant was the Harden trade when Hinkie was the assistant GM because it shows the other side of the equation after Hinkie collects all the draft capital.

Martin (a good scorer at the time), Lamb (a recent mid teens draft pick), and two future first round picks for James Harden.

This was identifying future superstars and using accumulated draft capital to go after them. They did so and in the process set up the Rockets for a half decade of 50 win seasons. Something the Bucks have done only once in the last 30 years. He has also set up the 76ers for a number of 50 win seasons in only 3 years at the helm.

That is why I want HInkie.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#166 » by hege53190 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:17 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
kid idioteque wrote:Also, wow that Hinkie Kool-Aid must be strong stuff. He proved nothing with Philadelphia except that he could and would stash draft picks until literally being REMOVED BY THE NBA.

Hinkie is a lot like Hammond. It's easy to say this negative stuff now but they both left their teams with solid, young cores to build upon. Judge them in five years.

Except Hinkie did it in 3 years. Hammond took 9. Give anyone 9 years and they better have a little talent. And our future looks so bright only because of Giannis. A draft pick in the mid teens that Hammond wanted to trade for 3 months of Josh Smith.

I just can't believe that Zanik is getting so much love. In my opinion a vote for him is a vote for last off-season where we gave $120 million to 3 players that should not be on the court in a playoff series.
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#167 » by imithanos » Sat May 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I didn't vote, but it would be interesting to see Hinkie's next phase, if he remained in Philadelphia. Cause the Bucks have a legit superstar, that Hinkie wanted to find with the process.
No hay banda.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,870

Post#168 » by Fotis St » Sat May 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Voted other for Griffin
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
TheWig
Sixth Man
And1: 593

Post#169 » by TheWig » Sat May 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Chapter29 wrote:5 people voted for Kidd? :crazy:

Lasry family and Nick Monroe voted
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#170 » by RRyder823 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Want zero part of Hinkie. If your tearing it down then sure. He showed he can collect future picks. Problem is he missed on those picks. Sorry he did. If he had a such great eye for talent, in relation to his peers, the 76ers wouldn't have been much better served to have selected players drafted relatively close to where he selected in every one of his drafts.

He couldve had Giannis but went for the guy that had the most pre draft hype who isn't even on the team anymore. He then drafts a guy who most likely will never play 50 games in a season. Then he couldve had KP but went with the guy who had more pre draft hype. I won't use those examples in hindsight to say those declare him a bad drafter by any means. Nobodies perfect after all But I will say it does show he's not "great" at drafting by any stretch when not a single one of his swings at the plate connected as well as it could have.

Coupled with nobody having a clue on how he'd do in FA and trades when it comes to bringing in talent there better options available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#171 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Sat May 27, 2017 6:19 pm

I voted for Kidd only because I'm p/o at you people voting for hinkie. If the bucks did half the things you guys say this team would of been the Seattle Sonics by now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#172 » by hege53190 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Bucks_MacGyver wrote:I voted for Kidd only because I'm p/o at you people voting for hinkie. If the bucks did half the things you guys say this team would of been the Seattle Sonics by now

Yeah because making it out of the first round 1 time in the last 30 years is what kept them here. The only thing that kept the Bucks in Milwaukee is Herb Kohl. Nothing else.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Re: RE: Re: Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll) 

Post#173 » by skones » Sat May 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Bucks_MacGyver wrote:I voted for Kidd only because I'm p/o at you people voting for hinkie. If the bucks did half the things you guys say this team would of been the Seattle Sonics by now

Something is wrong here.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using RealGM mobile app
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Re: RE: Re: Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll) 

Post#174 » by skones » Sat May 27, 2017 7:03 pm

RRyder823 wrote:Want zero part of Hinkie. If your tearing it down then sure. He showed he can collect future picks. Problem is he missed on those picks. Sorry he did. If he had a such great eye for talent, in relation to his peers, the 76ers wouldn't have been much better served to have selected players drafted relatively close to where he selected in every one of his drafts.

He couldve had Giannis but went for the guy that had the most pre draft hype who isn't even on the team anymore. He then drafts a guy who most likely will never play 50 games in a season. Then he couldve had KP but went with the guy who had more pre draft hype. I won't use those examples in hindsight to say those declare him a bad drafter by any means. Nobodies perfect after all But I will say it does show he's not "great" at drafting by any stretch when not a single one of his swings at the plate connected as well as it could have.

Coupled with nobody having a clue on how he'd do in FA and trades when it comes to bringing in talent there better options available.

Okafor was an ownership pressured pick and it was widely publicized. The others are far from misses.

sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#175 » by sdn40 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Every once in a while a topic comes up that allows the perpetual tankers and roster full of 19 year olds backers to come out of the woodwork. Hinkie is their wet dream. Damn the fact that we are well passed the point of tanking. Damn the draft results he had. Damn the fact that he hasn't shown he can assemble a team properly or evaluate veteran players or rosters. Damn the fact that he can't sniff an NBA job since. Must be the trainwreck phenomenon.

We have our franchise player, who wasn't a tank pick by the way, and one thing we should have learned the last 5 years is the fact that well chosen veteran role players will have just as much to do with our success as anything. Sure we need one or two young pieces to hit, but a roster full of 19 year olds isn't taking you anywhere and would take a decade and probably more to assemble with the one and done guys making the draft more and more of a crapshoot. Those one and done guys will make talent evaluation even more important and while draft position is always nice, we are going to see more and more misses and the hits will be spread out through the first round a bit more IMO.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#176 » by hege53190 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:34 pm

sdn40 wrote:

Every once in a while a topic comes up that allows the perpetual tankers and roster full of 19 year olds backers to come out of the woodwork. Hinkie is their wet dream. Damn the fact that we are well passed the point of tanking. Damn the draft results he had. Damn the fact that he hasn't shown he can assemble a team properly or evaluate veteran players or rosters. Damn the fact that he can't sniff an NBA job since. Must be the trainwreck phenomenon.

We have our franchise player, who wasn't a tank pick by the way, and one thing we should have learned the last 5 years is the fact that well chosen veteran role players will have just as much to do with our success as anything. Sure we need one or two young pieces to hit, but a roster full of 19 year olds isn't taking you anywhere and would take a decade and probably more to assemble with the one and done guys making the draft more and more of a crapshoot. Those one and done guys will make talent evaluation even more important and while draft position is always nice, we are going to see more and more misses and the hits will be spread out a bit more.

What???

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. If we have learned anything over the last 30 years it is we need super star talent to make it out of the first round of the playoffs. You can get your veteran role players after you have a championship core.

We don't need one or two young pieces to hit. We need one or two young pieces to become perennial all-stars and all-nba type players. You have a better chance to pick those players the higher up you are in the draft.

Doesn't anybody realize that Hinkie came from the Rockets. The team that just pieced together good team after good team and ended up trading for James Harden?

I don't undersand why people think Tanking is Hinkie's only trick in the bag.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#177 » by sdn40 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:51 pm

hege53190 wrote:
What???

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. If we have learned anything over the last 30 years it is we need super star talent to make it out of the first round of the playoffs. You can get your veteran role players after you have a championship core.

We don't need one or two young pieces to hit. We need one or two young pieces to become perennial all-stars and all-nba type players. You have a better chance to pick those players the higher up you are in the draft.

Doesn't anybody realize that Hinkie came from the Rockets. The team that just pieced together good team after good team and ended up trading for James Harden?

How do you think Hinkie is going to magically get that superstar talent while others can't ? Just give one off the wall scenario that doesn't involve trading off the roster, which anyone can do, and would most likely piss off Giannis. Also one question continues to go unanswered by Hinkie supporters. If he is such a genius, why was he fired and can't sniff another position in the NBA ?
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Who should be the next General Manager of the Bucks? (with poll) 

Post#178 » by RRyder823 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:54 pm

skones wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Want zero part of Hinkie. If your tearing it down then sure. He showed he can collect future picks. Problem is he missed on those picks. Sorry he did. If he had a such great eye for talent, in relation to his peers, the 76ers wouldn't have been much better served to have selected players drafted relatively close to where he selected in every one of his drafts.

Okafor was an ownership pressured pick and it was widely publicized. The others are far from misses.

Perhaps "miss" was to strong for some but when your entire strategy is based around hitting a pick out of the park and your doing nothing but hitting singles you failed.

Point is he's only proved he can tear a franshise down. He did that. He hasn't proven he can build one up by any stretch

(As for ownership meddling haven't we held that same fault against Hammond?)

hege53190
Head Coach

Post#179 » by hege53190 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:05 pm

sdn40 wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
What???

How do you think Hinkie is going to magically get that superstar talent while others can't ? Just give one off the wall scenario that doesn't involve trading off the roster, which anyone can do, and would most likely piss off Giannis.

I don't know. I am not nearly as intelligent as Hinkie. I know that.

Plus it is a no win situation for me because either you are going to laugh at me because it is unrealistic or say that is a terrible deal.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#180 » by sdn40 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:08 pm

hege53190 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
What???

How do you think Hinkie is going to magically get that superstar talent while others can't ? Just give one off the wall scenario that doesn't involve trading off the roster, which anyone can do, and would most likely piss off Giannis.

I don't know. I am not nearly as intelligent as Hinkie. I know that.

Plus it is a no win situation for me because either you are going to laugh at me because it is unrealistic or say that is a terrible deal.

And maybe for good reason. And by the way, we open up a new arena soon. Taking 3 steps backwards to hopefully, maybe, possibly take 4 steps forward in 5 years is not the best way to go. And again, if Hinkie is such a genius, why is he unemployed ? If he is half the legend you guys make him out to be it's gotta be one of the most curious questions in the history of mankind. Area 51 and the meaning of life has nothing on why Hinkie doesn't have 5 rings already

Return to Milwaukee Bucks