ImageImage

Poll Bucks 2017 Draft Pick #17

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

The Milwaukee Bucks at #17 of the 2017 NBA Draft select...10 players available according to DX, 25/5

Jarret Allen
8%
John Collins
7%
Harry Giles
31%
Isaiah Hartenstein
9%
Jonathan Jeanne
6%
Terrance Ferguson
5%
Ivan Rabb
2%
Jawun Evans
5%
Semi Ojeleye
6%
Frank Jackson
19%

Total votes: 95

tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Re: Poll Bucks 2017 Draft Pick #17 

Post#41 » by tedbrogen » Sun May 28, 2017 3:33 am

Prez wrote:The odds of re-injury with Giles have to be absurdly high at this point. Even if he gets back to respectable athleticism which he apparently is, it could all be over with even one more knee injury. That and he had some concerningly bad awareness at Duke especially defending the PnR. It's probably mostly rust but it's something to note. I could talk myself into the pick but there's just so many question marks there. And if it turns out he's closer to form than I think, teams will know it and he probably won't be there at 17.

Giles was bad initially after getting back from the knee clean-up surgery at Duke with defending PnR and really defending everything, so K sat him A LOT. It took quite a while (honestly until the ACC Tourney) for him to earn K's trust and get increased minutes. Some regular season games he only saw a few minutes of action, no joke. But a switch seemed to turn on during the ACC Tourney. If you want to look at his potential, go back an watch those four games they won in four days, specially the UNC game. A LOT of that was Giles playing near his potential. He was defending the PnR really well, getting back to his man after hard shows on the ball handler, finishing around the hoop, and showing the end to end athleticism everyone thought he had pre-injury.

If you want them to swing for the fences at 17, and Giles is still available, he is absolutely the biggest swing for the fences. He still has all that talent that would have made him a top five pick pre-injury. It just comes down to whether you believe he is destined to have another injury. (I put little concern into his vert numbers, as that was never his game to begin with. He was dominant in HS based on his wing span and his tenaciousness on the boards. Both of those are still there.)
zjl3
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#42 » by zjl3 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:23 am

Voted for Allen. The Bucks don’t have a great deal of depth at center, and with Greg Monroe on an expiring contract, we should look to add some size. He is a project, but has size, athleticism and lob-catching ability.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#43 » by bizarro » Sun May 28, 2017 4:32 am

Much like the Packer draft, I still feel this is a draft where the Bucks should trade down. I would be very pleased with 3 picks in the 25-48 range.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#44 » by BucksFanSD » Sun May 28, 2017 4:34 am

I can totally get that people think Giles under performed last year but to say he had zero production or the likes is selling him short IMO. I said the same for Skal last year. I will admit I didn't watch a lot of Duke but when I did watch them I saw them play in the ACC tourny and Giles honestly looked good.

This team needs rebounding badly and I think Giles can provide that with his long wingspan and good hands (btw- he had the largest hands measured at the combine).

Analytics support Giles' case, see ESPN's 2017 Potential NBA Draft Steals article below.

4. Harry Giles, PF, 6-11, 232, Duke (age on draft day: 19)

Chad Ford Big Board rank: 12
ESPN Analytics draft model rank: 6

Although his minutes were limited at Duke as he recovered from a series of knee injuries, Giles was very efficient when he was on the court. He had an eFG percentage of 58 from the floor when adjusted for opponents' defensive strength, and he possesses the third-best adjusted offensive rebounding percentage in this draft class.

Injuries are the main concern for teams considering Giles, as his health brings added uncertainty that our model can't directly account for. But if the medical personnel of the teams drafting in the 6-10 range feel comfortable, Giles could be a steal.

There are still a lot of other good players in our range so I'm all for trading down (17 + 48 for 22 + 27 perhaps?) if possible.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,604

Post#45 » by Matches Malone » Sun May 28, 2017 4:35 am

I'm not a fan of any of these guys. I'd rather trade down or trade the pick altogether.

Usually I'm completely against trading draft picks when you're a small market, but this crop of players don't do much for me and there aren't any intriguing boom/bust guys at our range unless you're willing to take a chance on Giles. Meh.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#46 » by emunney » Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 am

Ugh this list. I'll take Patton who is absent for no reason.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,884

Post#47 » by Fotis St » Sun May 28, 2017 4:56 am

Middleton "if healthy"
Jabari.... "if healthy"
Giles..... "if healthy" .... new entry

I scouted him ... and I read draft thread from teams that pick above us ...
Everybody said that he has lost his athleticism after the knee injuries, he is not the same player.

But some teams who have multiple 1st round picks like Portland (3),Nets (2),Utah (2) would "swing for the fences" with their late pick

If I were Bucks GM though I wouldn't risk my #17 to Giles.

He looks like Tristan Thompson potential. His HS highlights were generated from his great footwork and explosiveness changing direction with his size, drove by anyone. But that explosiveness looks lost.

Suki will be pissed off too. Too much work.

With Jabari's injuries fresh, I would not touch Giles. We don't have another 1st round pick to "swing for the fences".

In my opinion Giles is not "swing for the fences" pick ... it is more like "playing with fire" pick

Another poster voted Jeanne as the highest upside of all... I could agree with him ... Jeanne is "swing for the fences" pick.

For your information : You are able to change your vote.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#48 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:57 am

No really sexy picks. Just draft a Europe player we can stash for 2-3 years
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#49 » by benultimate » Sun May 28, 2017 5:22 am

zjl3 wrote:Voted for Allen. The Bucks don’t have a great deal of depth at center, and with Greg Monroe on an expiring contract, we should look to add some size. He is a project, but has size, athleticism and lob-catching ability.

I like Allen as a prospect but what does he offer us that Thon already doesn't? Maybe finishing at the rim, but besides that I think Thon's better all round and doesn't leave much opportunity for Allen to shine.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#50 » by PANDEMONEUM » Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 am

Hartenstein, seems to have the highest ceiling.
probably the biggest bust chance also.

can he rebound, is he willing to get rebounds?
same ? about his D

but hes young and big and athletic.

he gets my vote.

justin jackson or kennard, if hes not available and they are......maybe frank jackson

id have no issues if we trade back for 2 picks, and get kennard and jackson, then a big in the 2nd round.

brogdon, delly...jackson
snell, vaughn...terry...kennard
midds...jj
G, telly...(jabari)...hartenstein
thon, monroe, henson, hawes
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#51 » by mlloyd10 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Hell no to Giles... without his athleticism, he's not very good.... tough injury history, but not taking that chance.
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#52 » by BucksFanSD » Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 pm

How about this trade?

Bucks In: #7 overall
Timberwolves In: Tony Snell, Malcolm Brogdon, #17

Why Milwaukee does it -

#7 should yield Dennis Smith Jr or Malik Monk. Put either at the 1 and if Jabari is healthy again you are set at positions 1-5 and now more athletic at guard. Sign a cheap SF in free agency for insurance.

Why Minnesota does it -

Thibs. He wanted Snell, his former player, at the trade deadline. He knows he needs defense. He would love a guy like Brogdon leading the team and who can play alongside Rubio (Knicks trade rumors) and Dunn (didn't show much last year) and LaVine (coming off surgery). They need to draft a PF, and they have plenty of those at #17, not #7. They have been rumored to want veteran help but the mold of the team is young.
bucksfansince88
Analyst
And1: 1,777

Post#53 » by bucksfansince88 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:15 pm

BucksFanSD wrote:How about this trade?

Why Milwaukee does it -

#7 should yield Dennis Smith Jr or Malik Monk. Put either at the 1 and if Jabari is healthy again you are set at positions 1-5 and now more athletic at guard. Sign a cheap SF in free agency for insurance.

Why Minnesota does it -

Thibs. He wanted Snell, his former player, at the trade deadline. He knows he needs defense. He would love a guy like Brogdon leading the team and who can play alongside Rubio (Knicks trade rumors) and Dunn (didn't show much last year) and LaVine (coming off surgery). They need to draft a PF, and they have plenty of those at #17, not #7. They have been rumored to want veteran help but the mold of the team is young.

I would make them choose between 2 of the 3 cant have all 3 for #7
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#54 » by freewhitemoon » Sun May 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Tony snell has like no value to Minnesota. They can just sign him in FA if they want. It's basically Brogdon to move up from 17th to 7th which I would happily do.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#55 » by neiLz » Sun May 28, 2017 4:33 pm

I'd probably be content with anyone but ferguson or rabb. Lots of options which makes me want the clippers pick even more. really hope they buy a pick this year.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#56 » by GBPackers47 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Why Milwaukee does it -

Why Minnesota does it -

I'd do it, but I don't think Minnesota does. Brogdon had a great year, but moving down 10 spots in a loaded draft for what will be a 25 year old second year player? Not sure they do that.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#57 » by wolves_89 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:39 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:

Why Milwaukee does it -

Why Minnesota does it -

I'd do it, but I don't think Minnesota does. Brogdon had a great year, but moving down 10 spots in a loaded draft for what will be a 25 year old second year player? Not sure they do that.

Wolves pass easily. I'd rather have the best player available at #7 (hopefully Isaac) over Brogdon/#17 and it's not close.
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#58 » by BucksFanSD » Sun May 28, 2017 4:40 pm

freewhitemoon wrote:Tony snell has like no value to Minnesota. They can just sign him in FA if they want. It's basically Brogdon to move up from 17th to 7th which I would happily do.

They would own his restricted free agent rights.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#59 » by wolves_89 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:48 pm

BucksFanSD wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:Tony snell has like no value to Minnesota. They can just sign him in FA if they want. It's basically Brogdon to move up from 17th to 7th which I would happily do.

They would own his restricted free agent rights.

I''m pretty sure you can't trade restricted free agent rights. The only way the Bucks could trade Snell is as part of a sign and trade deal. I can't see the Wolves having interest in both paying Snell and trading value for him (in reality I don't see Minnesota having much interest in just paying Snell).
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#60 » by SupremeHustle » Sun May 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Semi or Hartenstein. I didn't vote, though cuz I have no idea.

Not big on Ferguson or Frank Jackson for the Bucks, though.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks