ImageImage

Putting the Curry for Bogut rumors to bed. Interview w/former GS GM Larry Riley

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Putting the Curry for Bogut rumors to bed. Interview w/former GS GM Larry Riley 

Post#1 » by righterwriter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 pm

There have been many discussions around RealGM for years about how the Warriors were ready to deal Curry in a deal for Bogut, but Milwaukee ultimately decided on Monta and Udoh. It's interesting that Warriors fans insist that Curry was never really going to be traded for Bogut due to Curry's bright future with the team, but Bucks fans-- with the help of insider knowledge-- stated that he absolutely was on the table.

Looks like we were both right, but in a different way than imagined. Here's a bit of the interview with Larry Riley, the GM of the Warriors who did the Ellis for Bogut trade, and his tactic on including Curry in the talks.

When the Warriors traded fan-favorite Monta Ellis and Ekpe Udoh to Milwaukee for Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson in the middle of the 2011-12 season, they turned the team over to Steph Curry.

But in a recent interview, former Warriors GM Larry Riley was asked if Curry's name ever came up in trade talks with the Bucks prior to the deal.

"Absolutely. The only way to get the trade started was to let them start talking about Steph Curry. That's like going fishing, you throw some bait out there. A couple of things happened with that. I wanted to switch the deal over to Monta all along. But in order to get a conversation going, we had to do that," Riley said on SiriusXM NBA Radio on Thursday.

So why didn't the Warriors ultimately include Curry in the deal?

"Well that was also the year Steph was having some ankle problems, and this is just me speaking, you'll have to talk to [then-Bucks GM] John Hammond, but they became concerned about Steph's future in regards to ankle problems that he was having. So in order to get the deal, we have to put Ekpe Udoh in it. And Ekpe looked like a player that could become a solid NBA backup. In all honestly, we had Ekpe for a year and half and I felt 'Hey, I made a mistake with this one. This guy is not going to make it." So we had an opporunity to correct a mistake and put him with Monta and get the center back we wanted."

"So there's some credability to the way that conversation actually started. But at the end of the day, I would have been kicking and scream and tied down and everything else before I would have let Steph Curry go," Riley said.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/ex-warriors-gm-explains-how-he-used-curry-2012-trade-talks-bucks

Now, someone can still maintain that Riley is just backtracking for some reason, but I think this fits the narrative that Bucks insiders heard that Curry was in talks while also showing that the Warriors were not going to really deal him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,051

Re: Putting the Curry for Bogut rumors to bed. Interview w/former GS GM Larry Riley 

Post#2 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Nah.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,653

Re: Putting the Curry for Bogut rumors to bed. Interview w/former GS GM Larry Riley 

Post#3 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Do not care.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#4 » by Nowak008 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 pm

:rolleyes:
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

This was a good post. In it he just admitted that not only was Steph on the table but Hammond turned it down due to Stephs ankle.

That last sentence is just window dressing for the GSW fans.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks