#17 - Bucks take D.J. Wilson

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Re: #17 - Bucks take D.J. Wilson 

Post#1181 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:hed eat hawes alive just as bad. we'd be sending doubles and trying to rotate like hell on everybody else. I trust Wilson in that role right away over hawes. thon cant play the post either as a stretch but he still gives us something with the rotations.

that's my gut so far. if he cant be spencer hawes at the 5 hes a bust.

I think Hawes is a much better rebounder and can hold his own in the post. I think Wilson gets eaten alive by someone like KAT. Hawes just sucks. I don't think he'll be fighting for minutes with Hawes IMO. That's like Telly fighting for minutes with Hawes to me, they just simply play different positions. Wilson will be matching up with Bjelica in this game. I 100% believe that's his role in the league if he pans out. He'll be a kinda a spark plug offensive player who can take advantage of the slower footed, softer stretch fours in the league. You slot him at center or small forward to play big or small and teams can just simply throw a wing on him and negate any value he has, since he plays extremely small and soft for a guy his size.

ick. I hope youre wrong. he needs to backup both positions longterm for me to see value there. personally I'm penciling him in with thon and a 3rd string falcon punching fan favorite enforcer for our centers in 18-19 when monroes gone and hensons traded. hes got the frame for it he needs to make that happen.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#1182 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:35 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:ick. I hope youre wrong. he needs to backup both positions longterm for me to see value there.

I just don't see any way he's developing into a center. I saw him kick out a post up against Kay **** Feilder. Any advantage you get playing small with him at center is negated by the fact that just about any NBA wing could match up with him defensively or offensively and the disadvantages against a decent inside big man could be devastating. One thing to consider though is if you're going small, Giannis is going to be the center in this scenario and a little of the pressure is off Wilson.

Overall I really don't see a ton of value or high upside but as a 15-25 minute a game backup four I could see value to the team.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#1183 » by Prince12 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 am

I've seen a ton of really emotional reactions in this thread the last few weeks. For mine it was probably a bit of a hopeful reach but I can see a way he becomes a rotation player.

If he can shoot a decent clip from three and have the ability which I think he can in time to switch on defense over a couple positions he can be a ok piece.

When your pick is 17 I just think the expectations are so damn high. We absolutely struck gold in this range with Giannis but that is a one in twenty year thing. I will remain hopeful that DJ becomes a really solid piece but I am so far from getting angry about it it's not funny.

I wouldn't have picked him but I think he has enough attributes to suggest he could stick. Time will tell.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#1184 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Think that he ends up wherever you think a guy like Al Harrington or Tobias Harris slots in best. Those guys have been and are starters with their best position being PF, but some (me being one of them) consider them to be better options coming off the bench in that super 6th man scoring role. This team definitely needs guys that can create offense, and I don't think DJ is ever going to be a guy that struggles with that.
snoogans8056
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#1185 » by snoogans8056 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:56 pm

WTF? Wilson as a 5? Have you guys seen him play?

He reacts to physical contact like he has autism.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#1186 » by Lippo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:25 pm

I think the ceiling for this guy is a Rashard Lewis, which is ok at 17....Just wish he didnt look like Kid
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1187 » by DrWood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Lippo wrote:I think the ceiling for this guy is a Rashard Lewis, which is ok at 17....Just wish he didnt look like Kid

Lewis was a multiple all-star and a very good player. I'd be happy with that comparison, but dj has 15 lbs more of muscle than lewis. dj should be more of a playmaker and block more shots than lewis. I hope he'll be able to rebound better, but that will require some development from dj.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1188 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:14 am

Wilson needs a vet to break him from thinking he has to look cool. Early summer league perception is that he's not a guy who plays with any type of fire/moxie than teammates can feed off of.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#1189 » by drew881 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:46 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Wilson needs a vet to break him from thinking he has to look cool. Early summer league perception is that he's not a guy who plays with any type of fire/moxie than teammates can feed off of.

Do you work for the Bucks? Because this is pure facial recognition analysis. Do James Harden and Tracy McGrady have no fire? I think we've disproven along time ago that players facial attributes have anything to do with demeanor or style of play. Just because DJ has big hair doesn't mean he is trying to look cool. Just because he has odd shaped eyes as odd facial expressions doesn't mean he doesn't have any fire. Look at someone like KAT. Total mouthbreather who looks half asleep most of the time, but that doesn't mean anything.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1190 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:51 am

drew881 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Wilson needs a vet to break him from thinking he has to look cool. Early summer league perception is that he's not a guy who plays with any type of fire/moxie than teammates can feed off of.

Do you work for the Bucks? Because this is pure facial recognition analysis. Do James Harden and Tracy McGrady have no fire? I think we've disproven along time ago that players facial attributes have anything to do with demeanor or style of play. Just because DJ has big hair doesn't mean he is trying to look cool. Just because he has odd shaped eyes as odd facial expressions doesn't mean he doesn't have any fire. Look at someone like KAT. Total mouthbreather who looks half asleep most of the time, but that doesn't mean anything.

I could care less about his face, hair or shorts. I'm talking about how he plays. I've complimented what I feel are his strengths earlier in this thread. Through summer league I've felt he's played too cool and without any fire.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#1191 » by drew881 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
drew881 wrote:

I could care less about his face, hair or shorts. I'm talking about how he plays. I've complimented what I feel are his strengths earlier in this thread. Through summer league I've felt he's played too cool and without any fire.

See bolded part...
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1192 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:32 am

drew881 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
drew881 wrote:

See bolded part...

Getting caught up in semantics here. He plays like he's trying to look cool. I don't care if he wears sunglasses & a Hawaiian shirt under his jersey if he's hitting the floor, seeking out mismatches and putting his body on the line.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1193 » by bizarro » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:42 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
drew881 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

See bolded part...

Getting caught up in semantics here. He plays like he's trying to look cool. I don't care if he wears sunglasses & a Hawaiian shirt under his jersey if he's hitting the floor, seeking out mismatches and putting his body on the line.

I'm just excited to see what comes of DJ hanging out with my junkyard dog, John Henson. I saw him curling two Carnitas burritos (w/ the green salsa (!!) at the Brookfield Chipotle at 124th St.. If we can get DJ in there moving away from the soft corn tacos to the hard shell...we're gonna see some growth, fellas. Real talk.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,256

Post#1194 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:08 am

We need to go Clockwork Orange on Wilson and strap him to a chair and force him to keep his eyes open while watching nonstop Corey Maggette highlights.
Read on Twitter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#1195 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:27 am

ElPeregrino wrote:We need to go Clockwork Orange on Wilson and strap him to a chair and force him to keep his eyes open while watching nonstop Corey Maggette highlights.

John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#1196 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:We need to go Clockwork Orange on Wilson and strap him to a chair and force him to keep his eyes open while watching nonstop Corey Maggette highlights.

Wilson has the length and athleticism to be a great slasher but right now I don't see star potential in him. If he added Maggette's toughness and ability to play to contact he could be a superstar.

Read on Twitter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#1197 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:38 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

Wilson has the length and athleticism to be a great slasher but right now I don't see star potential in him. If he added Maggette's toughness and ability to play to contact he could be a superstar.

I think if you combined DJ Wilson with Corey Maggettes game and mindset you'd have Michael Beasley.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#1198 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:Wilson has the length and athleticism to be a great slasher but right now I don't see star potential in him. If he added Maggette's toughness and ability to play to contact he could be a superstar.

I think if you combined DJ Wilson with Corey Maggettes game and mindset you'd have Michael Beasley.

A better shooting, better defensive Beasley who gets to the free throw line ten times per game.

Read on Twitter
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#1199 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 pm

It really is bizarre to see some of this analysis. Projecting DJ Wilson as an insta offense forward, oyyy. 4th leading scorer as a junior at Michigan where he operated as a system contributor. That is basically what he will be in the pros. He is not going to be some sparkplug of firepower off the bench, but a guy who hopefully does the little things to help the team win. Play good defense, hit an open shot, and make the right play.
Go Bucks!
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#1200 » by jr lucosa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:51 pm

In SL he did look impressive handling the ball, moving in the open court, and making decisions on the fly especially for a guy his size. Should have the ability to take guys off the dribble, but he will need to get better finishing inside/not shying from contact to maximize this. Has a nice release on his shot, quick and simple.

Guys get winded in SL it happens, but he will need to step up the effort and intensity on defense. I'm not super worried now, he's got the frame and athletic ability to be a plus defender, even if it doesn't happen right away. He needs to get stronger and have more confidence in his strength. If in a summer or two he is still attempting fade aways on guards we may have a real issue re: contact.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks