ImageImage

Discussion of the Bucks Point Guard position

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bigdog34
Senior
And1: 96

Post#1 » by bigdog34 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm

I do more reading of posts in this forum than writing of posts, but I've been a big proponent of focusing our attention on our apparent deficiencies in our backcourt when discussing fielding a championship level contender. I tend to rely on the feedback of many of you when it comes to the NBA-league wide options for FA/trades and Cap Pace.

With that said, I felt that we needed a new thread solely designated for our PG situation. I personally don't feel that Brogdon is an option as a starter for a championship caliber team. We need a difference maker at PG. I don't feel we took care of that during the draft, so I come to you all to discuss/provide legit options that the Bucks may resort to this offseason to curb this negative.

My goal before reading up on our lack of cap space was for Chris Paul, but obviously that is a Dumb and Dumber quotable "so you're saying there's a chance" from fruition. I've heard names such as Rubio/Collison/and the likes. Is a Damien Lillard trade a possibility?

Let the PG discussion commence.
Sell! Sell!! Sell!!!!
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,776

Re: 2017-18 PG 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:18 pm

I would be surprised if our #1 and #2 point guards heading into next season aren't Brogdon and Delly.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#3 » by pifhluk23 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:23 pm

There are options out there, Lowry, Hill, Holiday but I don't think we can afford or lure them here.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#4 » by 4xBuck » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:41 pm

bigdog34 wrote: My goal before reading up on our lack of cap space was for Chris Paul.

Yeah, the Bucks need a small, slow, injury prone ball dominant PG... Of course that's hyperbole, I know Paul has been a great player. But, he isn't a fit for the Bucks.

Giannis is going to be the point forward, the Bucks need a pg to compliment that. If Payton could just get close to being an average shooter, he'd actually be very good fit. He's be another freakish athlete on the floor.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Post#5 » by Gianstoppable » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:47 pm

I just want Patrick Beverley
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,022

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Since the season ended I've seen a lotta Twitter folk who think PG is the biggest need and I'm like do you not anticipate the Prez improving? He's really all the Bucks need: defender with size, smart decision maker, great shooter. Dump Delly and find his cheap replacement and we're good.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#7 » by JayMKE » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm pretty okay with Brogdon and Delly, last thing this team needs is some ball pounding 'true' point guard.

I really wish we got to see Brogdon-Mids-Giannis-Jabari-Thon last year, hopefully Jabari comes back healthy because I think his scoring is something we really could use.
FREE GIANNIS
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#8 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Biggest opstical is defending the quick pgs. Honestly I did see Brogdon improve on that greatly over the season. We were also in position that Malcom was big enough to gaurd the 2 and snell was quick enough to guard then better scoring point guards.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#9 » by hege53190 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Bucks already missed a couple of golden opportunities to add a PG that would fit this team.

Namely D'angelo Russell and Malik Monk. Both would have been great for the Bucks.

Delly is terrible and Brogdon is a high end backup/low end starter with a very funky shot.

My hope is someone falls in love with Snell and will trade us a decent young PG in the process.

My pipedream is Snell at 4/48 for TJ McConnell and Richaun Holmes.

Philly adds a 3 and D wing to play with their high end young core. Milwaukee adds a backup 4 and possibly a starting 1.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#10 » by 4xBuck » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:31 pm

The problem with Brogdon and Delly is they don't compliment each other. If the Bucks knew how good Brogdon was going to be, I doubt they sign Delly.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#11 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:36 pm

I love Brogdon but we are missing a PG that can create his own shot and shoot off the dribble *cough Jawun Evans cough*
#FreeChuckDiesel
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,961

Post#12 » by sidney lanier » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:56 pm

The incumbent President deserves a full term.

True, Brogdon is not the type of point guard many Bucks fans idealize. The wistful posts pining for a speedy facilitator who can also get his own shot that you see in this thread represent a longstanding, and I think spurious, hope based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the position and the role it plays. I have no problem with a point guard with size who can be a conductor, like a Billups or Kidd, without needing to get his own shot. Those who want a Brandon Jennings or T.J. Ford seem to me to want the meretricious flash of a conductor who will motion the orchestra to silence, step down from the podium, and play the cadenza himself. I'd rather have Toscanini -- an intelligent interpreter of the music who sticks to the score.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#13 » by thomchatt3rton » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:00 pm

I go back and forth on our PG situation.

On one hand, I feel like w Giannis, we dont need anything more than a slight upgrade at that spot. Even a platoon of Delly/Brogdon/Bayless-type would be ok. Or maybe replace Delly w a cheap but decent Bayless-type or combo guard.

On the other hand, I think about how much our offense would be improved by a top-notch, floorgeneral type PG.
I think Kidd would almost totally hand over the keys to the offense to a top PG- hes already pretty hands-off as it is.
Thats pretty darn tantalizing isnt it?

How do folks feel about Rubio these days?

I think his lack of shooting (spacing for giannis) is a deal-breaker, personally (esp considering his pricetag, injuries etc).
But I could be talked into him I guess.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,051

Post#14 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:I love Brogdon but we are missing a PG that can create his own shot and shoot off the dribble *cough Jawun Evans cough*

Yep. We need one of those instant offense, scat guys. Brogdon can still be the starter under that scenario.

That's where trading up for Monk would have really been a home run. We saw where PDX gave up 15/20. We just didn't have that type of asset.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Re: Discussion of the Bucks Point Guard position 

Post#15 » by Fotis St » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 pm

We should have bought one of Jawun Evans or Tyler Dorsey but you know ..... Kidd - Horst - Owners

Rubio ... no way in hell

Thinking about Teodosic or D.Rose with our MLE

Another option is to trade Monroe for Crabbe. Not sure I would do it though.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#16 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:13 pm

I understand that the typical play off team has a PG as their best player, and therefore we must as well. But there are many ways to skin a cat and there are many things about our team that are not typical.

Personally I don't mind at all the Bucks offensive game plan, with Giannis and Khris creating and 3 other guys who can shoot from any distance. It's good enough and we should keep finetuning it. I think it's actually our defense that will make or break us long term, and not the existence or non existence of a star PG.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#17 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:I love Brogdon but we are missing a PG that can create his own shot and shoot off the dribble *cough Jawun Evans cough*

Yep. We need one of those instant offense, scat guys. Brogdon can still be the starter under that scenario.

I mean if that's all you need I don't know why it has to be a PG and why Brown can't be that guy. I still haven't heard a compelling argument against Brown, except "there must be a reason he went to the 2nd round" or just repeating someone else's rating on him.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#18 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Rubio would be a horrible fit, in Gianni's team you can't afford to have a single guy who isn't a deadly threat from 3, including your C.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#19 » by LuessiT » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:20 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Since the season ended I've seen a lotta Twitter folk who think PG is the biggest need and I'm like do you not anticipate the Prez improving? He's really all the Bucks need: defender with size, smart decision maker, great shooter. Dump Delly and find his cheap replacement and we're good.

What this team needs is a way to crack defenses in half-court offenses. Getting a quick scoring PG that can punish switches in the PnR is one way (and I assume that's why a lot of Bucks fans want to improve the PG position), but definately not the only way. I wouldn't be opposed to post up Giannis or Jabari (when healthy) a lot more for example.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#20 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Why do people want a playmaker for our starting pg? We have Giannis, khash, and assuming when healthy Parker. Brogdon is the perfect 3 and D tough guard to play that role.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks