Re: Per Woelfel, McKinney to be let go 

Post#61 » by CJTURT » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 am

Why not give the staff a pay cut? We have better ideas on here. For free
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#62 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:32 am

DanoMac wrote:For 27 years I've been a die hard fan of this team. I've never wanted to revolt against this team more than I do now. They're making the team really hard to cheer for. If we didn't have the most likeable superstar in the NBA I'm not sure what my mindset would be.

The owners promoting and whoring their children within the organization and public events is just immature and makes us look so unprofessional.

Do they realize they purchased an NBA team and not an MLS or Arena Football team? They're treating this like their fun, model railroad building side hobby. It's really annoying.

I hear ya. I don't think I've ever hated this organization as much as I do right now.

We have a generational talent in Giannis, along with some other really nice pieces. And it's all gonna be for naught because we are run by a bunch of clueless billionaires who think they know what they're doing, but they haven't got the slightest idea.
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#63 » by MadBlueEdwards » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 am

Looking forward to reading all of the perfectly reasonable reactions to this.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#64 » by Swan Vox » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 am

I think most of us here were calling for a complete front office purge when these dudes bought the team, but man, they have really sh*t the bed so far in their hiring practices. I have zero faith in their ability to identify FO talent and run the team with a clear and organized structure. It's sad that fans of this team have had to endure Herb Kohl and now this.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,683

Post#65 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:47 am

This seemed inevitable when Hammond left for Orlando.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#66 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 am

One interesting thing a friend of mine told was that the Bucks really skew young as a hiring philosophy.....perhaps Hammond's age was the issue with bringing him back, hence going with his younger protege....plus younger people are generally less expensive.
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#67 » by MadBlueEdwards » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:55 am

Gery has been so right about so many things lately. This must be fact.
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,524

Post#68 » by drone3 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:59 am

McKinney is one of the good guys... Why?
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#69 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:06 am

hooray :(
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#70 » by Nowak008 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:08 am

midranger wrote:Well, this ain't good.

How much could they possibly be saving? $750k at absolute most?

It always shocks me that owners are willing to sign off on paying $13 million to a nothing player like Miles Plumlee, but will go cheap on the front office that makes all the crucial decisions. Like not paying a nothing player $13 million per year.

Agreed. That's always been GAD's biggest pet peeve just wasting money on meaningless players. Jake Voskul a bunch of years back for $3 million was an egregious example. (I wish I had more useful information in my brain)

or we could have not given 1.5 mil to Steve freaking Novak.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#71 » by FrieAaron » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:10 am

Makes you wonder what his thoughts on Wilson were. Drafting was like the only thing we've been good at over the handful of years.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,053

Post#72 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:12 am

xTitan wrote:One interesting thing a friend of mine told was that the Bucks really skew young as a hiring philosophy.....perhaps Hammond's age was the issue with bringing him back, hence going with his younger protege....plus younger people are generally less expensive.

In fairness to the Bucks they should be allowed to trim the fat. I'm not really sure what that Erika Johnson did by way of example. They hired a ton of staff and I'm sure a bunch ended up being redundant.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#73 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:14 am

Lasry vs. Edens. Two big swinging dicks. Battling it out. WHO'S GOT THE BIGGEST ONE?!?!?
birlik54
Junior
And1: 155

Re: RE: Re: Per Woelfel, McKinney to be let go 

Post#74 » by birlik54 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
xTitan wrote:One interesting thing a friend of mine told was that the Bucks really skew young as a hiring philosophy.....perhaps Hammond's age was the issue with bringing him back, hence going with his younger protege....plus younger people are generally less expensive.

In fairness to the Bucks they should be allowed to trim the fat. I'm not really sure what that Erika Johnson did by way of example. They hired a ton of staff and I'm sure a bunch ended up being redundant.

The problem I have is that cutting costs in certain areas is fine, but when you start skimping on the basketball operations side of it by hiring a no name cheap GM and firing good scouts that's an issue.

Sent from my LGLS991 using RealGM mobile app
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#75 » by bizarro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 am

paulpressey25 wrote:

I agree PP. As I stated earlier, I really liked McKinney and he was (and is) certainly respected by his peers. But, let's be real: this was an inevitability. I really don't think this anything to be up in arms over. :dontknow:
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,729

Post#76 » by emunney » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:17 am

I'm not concerned about McKinney, who probably wanted to leave and has had a foot out the door, but this pay cut thing is ominous.

Very curious to see who they can attract to the FO. If the names Stefanski and Higgins - the railroad wine of front office candidates - surface during this process, we'll know we're going cheap and familiar all the way down the line. Rutgers fired Eddie Jordan, maybe we can bring him in for Kidd next year. Or maybe Jamie Dinan has a kid who'd like to kick the tires on a pro coaching career.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,729

Post#77 » by emunney » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 am

I would say that between the Hawes opt in and this news about staff asked to take pay cuts, retaining Snell is less than likely.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#78 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:26 am

I'm sure that some of you expected some staff continuity with Horst being an internal hire, but Horst didn't hire these folks. The notion that Horst will want to hire own staff isn't exactly surprising. That happens any time a new GM comes on board.

To take a cynical view, though, there is a chance this was motivated by Horst's desire to rid his staff of anyone who felt he wasn't qualified for the job. Clearing out the competition, so to speak. It happens in politics and business. You want people who are on your team and feel loyalty to your vision.

The salary cuts are a bit curious, though. I hope we don't have three billionaires (with a b) who are having financial troubles. I especially hope they didn't hire Horst because he was the cheapest option.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#79 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 am

Aren't they kicking the tires on a regional TV channel? Seems like they are just picking areas they are choosing to spend.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#80 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 am

RiotPunch wrote:
Prez wrote:I really can't wait for when Woj rips this FO apart

I really hope he does.

Until all of a sudden we start seeing Bucks Woj bombs and then Woj starts singing the praises of LED and Kidd.
Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks