ImageImage

Bucks ownership: Lowe/Windhorst ESPN piece pg 5

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Re: Bucks ownership: Lowe/Windhorst ESPN piece pg 5 

Post#181 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:23 pm

You guys do know this entire article is from the perception of Windhorst, most factual but the rest onion base. So just calm down.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#182 » by SirChurros » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Hopefully now that mainstream guys like Lowe and Windhorst are writing articles/speaking up about the dysfunction in the front office, that ownership perks up and takes notice on their outside and league-wide perception. I'm sure at the end of the day, neither Lasry or Edens wants to be lumped in the same category as the Dolans and Ranadives of the basketball community.

I'm not sure they really care, to be honest. Why would they? They're successful hedge-funders and that's their bread and butter.

This is their toy and they'll play with it until they get bored or start losing money.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#183 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Marvin Berry wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Hopefully now that mainstream guys like Lowe and Windhorst are writing articles/speaking up about the dysfunction in the front office, that ownership perks up and takes notice on their outside and league-wide perception. I'm sure at the end of the day, neither Lasry or Edens wants to be lumped in the same category as the Dolans and Ranadives of the basketball community.

I'm not sure they really care, to be honest. Why would they? They're successful hedge-funders and that's their bread and butter.

This is their toy and they'll play with it until they get bored or start losing money.

They'll absolutely care when it starts affecting their perception and reputation around the league, which it already may have. These guys don't just shut themselves in Howard Hughes style from all media outlets and outside criticism. If anything, the indecisiveness and stark difference between how the Kidd hire was handled and how the GM search was, indicates that they're very aware and sensitive to how the league and commissioner views the situation. The fact that they **** up both situations is the problem, not that they aren't aware of the **** ups.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#184 » by SirChurros » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Marvin Berry wrote:

They'll absolutely care when it starts affecting their perception and reputation around the league, which it already may have. These guys don't just shut themselves in Howard Hughes style from all media outlets and outside criticism. If anything, the indecisiveness and stark difference between how the Kidd hire was handled and how the GM search was, indicates that they're very aware and sensitive to how the league and commissioner views the situation. The fact that they **** up both situations is the problem, not that they aren't aware of the **** ups.

My point is, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to them what the league thinks/that they **** this up.

Their worst-case scenario is looking like incompetent owners of a sports franchise, deciding to quit, selling the franchise for more than they bought it for, and going back to making a lot of money in what they're truly good at doing.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#185 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:45 pm

bizarro wrote:So, let me get this straight:

There is an agreement in place whereby a simple 2-1 majority is needed to make key decisions. However, there is a wrinkle stipulating the single owner who is the Board of Governors rep has overriding veto power for a five year cycle?
So, for five years 2 of the 3 owners are really glorified voices in the room. Couple this with the juggling of a senile and antiquated basketball mind in Rod Thorn; the coaching and strategist mind of Jaon Kidd; and, now, the youngest and lowest salaried GM in the League...

This is my understanding:

I don't know if the majority-rules policy is a contractually-mandated stipulation of their partnership agreement or if its simply an informal agreement between the three. Either way, the only way to enforce that approach is through litigation, which partners like to avoid if at all possible.

That is distinct from the "Designated Governor." From the NBA's perspective, they are only going to listen to whoever is the "Designated Governor." They are not a party to whatever "majority-rules policy" the Bucks are operating under. Thus, if Edens makes a decision that the other owners are dissatisfied with, the only thing they can do is either bide their time until they are "Designated Governor" or sue Edens. The NBA would likely attempt to mediate the dispute, but as Edens is the "Designated Governor," he has ultimate authority in the eyes of the League.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,461

Post#186 » by RogerMurdock » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Grunching most of the posts since the ESPN article was linked.

I certainly don't like how the GM search played out and how, even if everything is friendly amongst the three owners, that there are naturally going to be decision making conflicts.

I am relieved, though, that Horst does seem to be someone that all three owners like and who is liked an respected by those who have worked with him, even if he is still somewhat of an unknown quantity.

I also like that they talked with Becky Hammon. I have no idea if she would be a good GM, but I appreciate that she was given a look. At least considering different avenues is good.

EDIT: This shouldn't be taken to mean I am content with the front office situation. There definitely seem to be "Too Many Cooks" problems.

sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#187 » by sdn40 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Bucks ownership declined to comment for this article.

Instead, the Bucks owners looked for a solution closer to home that could bring them together. Enter Horst, a grinder and salary-cap guru. They all liked and respected Horst, and he became the next man up. Horst agreed to a very modest contract by current GM standards -- three years starting at $500,000, sources said.

Those are the only two things I need to know in order to form an opinion
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#188 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Marvin Berry wrote:
My point is, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to them what the league thinks/that they **** this up.

Agreed. We wouldn't here today if they did care.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#189 » by Prez » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Bucks_MacGyver wrote:You guys do know this entire article is from the perception of Windhorst, most factual but the rest onion base. So just calm down.

This article isn't the only thing pointing to dysfunction.
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer
And1: 847

Post#190 » by JackSIKMA43 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:07 pm

While the "too many hands in the cookie jar" thing is concerning, none of these issues should surprise us. We knew these guys had never been sports franchise owners before. They essentially took on a whole new career, or business venture, whatever you want to call it. The same can be said for every person/people who buy a team, I would think. My personal view at the moment, is only focused on this ...

1. The Bucks are still in Milwaukee and are staying there.
2. There's a new arena and downtown development underway - both huge positives.
3. The Bucks' core player roster is promising and is in better shape now, than it's been for a very long time.
4. The Bucks are better than the Bulls.
5. Saying that once, isn't enough ... the Bucks are better than the Bulls.

I'm going off of that for now. As for the competency of the ownership and management, I'll defer until a few more years from now.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,545

Post#191 » by Frank Nova » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Speaking of Bucks ownership, a little off topic but Alex Kennedy had John Hammond on his podcast this week and it was a decent interview. Talked a bit about Giannis but the most interesting part was how he emphasized his philosophy to "develop and win now" at the same time. Anyone else listen to it?
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Big Dog Yank
Senior
And1: 767

Re: Your view of Bucks ownership 

Post#192 » by Big Dog Yank » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:34 pm

ackypoo wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
JayMKE wrote:I think they are billionaire Wall Street hedge fund managers who will make a lot of money when they finally cash in on this investment. People on this board are so bipolar and quick to change their tunes when the games start, a few impressive summer league performances from our young guys and one trade/FA signing people will get back on board. Our team is really young and it seems like people raise their expectations really fast, as far as player development goes we are way ahead of schedule.

Yep...

As owners, they've done a great job building the infrastructure of the Bucks. When they bought the team, all they had was a bad stadium. Now, they a have G-league team, a brand new practice facility and in a year a brand new state of the art stadium with a beer garden/entertainment block.

:lift:

and none of that **** truly matters to us.

i signed up to watch basketball, not state of the art beer gardens.

and in 4 years when they dont turn it around because they continue to mismanage the basketball side, and giannis leaves, so will i.

The desire for some of you to wallow in negativity is truly breathtaking at times. NONE of this matters?! If it wasn't for the state-of-the-art arena that is currently being built, this franchise wouldn't even be here anymore. And last I checked, LED got that done (mind you, in a state with an extremely fiscally conservative governor and an inept, do-nothing mayor of Milwaukee-it's a fricking it got done as easily as it did), so spare me the line of b.s. that that doesn't matter.

Listen, I'm very frustrated with how LED have acted at times, and I think this GM situation was ludicrous. But to ignore the good work they've done and strictly focus on their shortcomings is foolish.
"Ready to Die"
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#193 » by ackypoo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Big Dog Yank wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
Yep...

As owners, they've done a great job building the infrastructure of the Bucks. When they bought the team, all they had was a bad stadium. Now, they a have G-league team, a brand new practice facility and in a year a brand new state of the art stadium with a beer garden/entertainment block.

and in 4 years when they dont turn it around because they continue to mismanage the basketball side, and giannis leaves, so will i.

The desire for some of you to wallow in negativity is truly breathtaking at times. NONE of this matters?! If it wasn't for the state-of-the-art arena that is currently being built, this franchise wouldn't even be here anymore. And last I checked, LED got that done (mind you, in a state with an extremely fiscally conservative governor and an inept, do-nothing mayor of Milwaukee-it's a fricking it got done as easily as it did), so spare me the line of b.s. that that doesn't matter.

Listen, I'm very frustrated with how LED have acted at times, and I think this GM situation was ludicrous. But to ignore the good work they've done and strictly focus on their shortcomings is foolish.

correct, none of that matters. we are fans of basketball.

if stadiums got my dick hard, then theyd be the superheroes you think they are.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,348

Post#194 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Why is the only sports team I care about so damn consistently dysfunctional?

Rhetorical question.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#195 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:56 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:Speaking of Bucks ownership, a little off topic but Alex Kennedy had John Hammond on his podcast this week and it was a decent interview. Talked a bit about Giannis but the most interesting part was how he emphasized his philosophy to "develop and win now" at the same time. Anyone else listen to it?

And I think that is a pipe dream. Very hard to pull off. If he's saying that publicly after leaving the Bucks it tells me it wasn't all Herb Kohl's mandate during his time here.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Post#196 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Yup that's a very telling comment from Hambone. Kohl's mantra very well may have been "win now" but it sounds as if Hammond was in lock step.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#197 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Big Dog Yank wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
Yep...

It's so funny that you consider robbing the state of what will ultimately amount to about $400M "good work." I mean, literally, they got a deal done that was entirely contingent on the fan base being held hostage.

Thems the breaks, I get it. But the real test of their ownership - what will come to determine their legacy - will be the capacity to turn the franchise into a winner. Otherwise, that arena is gonna be empty in a few years no matter how fancy the beer garden is, while we continue to foot the bill for a franchise that maintains the ineptitude that's defined them since the Kohl era began.
Big Dog Yank
Senior
And1: 767

Post#198 » by Big Dog Yank » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 pm

ackypoo wrote:
Big Dog Yank wrote:
ackypoo wrote:and none of that **** truly matters to us.

Well...stadiums are where basketball is played, so if you don't have them, you don't have basketball.

Also, where did I call them superheroes? What they did with getting the new arena and saving the team should never be forgotten or overlooked. That said, it doesn't absolve them from fair criticism, which they've earned a healthy dose of-especially recently.

What is so tiresome are the posters like you who fail to see any good in them. If they make a mistake, they are the worst owners in sports. If they do something well, it was due to luck. Framing arguments strictly in terms of black or white is lazy.
"Ready to Die"
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#199 » by tski1972 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Big Dog Yank wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
Big Dog Yank wrote:

Well...stadiums are where basketball is played, so if you don't have them, you don't have basketball.

Also, where did I call them superheroes? What they did with getting the new arena and saving the team should never be forgotten or overlooked. That said, it doesn't absolve them from fair criticism, which they've earned a healthy dose of-especially recently.

What is so tiresome are the posters like you who fail to see any good in them. If they make a mistake, they are the worst owners in sports. If they do something well, it was due to luck. Framing arguments strictly in terms of black or white is lazy.

I've been reading most everyone is happy about the owners off court dealings pertaining to the team, its the on court dealings that have most upset.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#200 » by ackypoo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Big Dog Yank wrote:

basketball exists outside of stadiums. its crazy, i know. if this basketball was played at the park down my street, id still watch.

if critique is so tiresome to you, what id recommend, is leaving this board.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks