Bucks ownership: Lowe/Windhorst ESPN piece pg 5

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Re: Bucks ownership: Lowe/Windhorst ESPN piece pg 5 

Post#201 » by crkone » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:21 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
weezybaby856 wrote:Speaking of Bucks ownership, a little off topic but Alex Kennedy had John Hammond on his podcast this week and it was a decent interview. Talked a bit about Giannis but the most interesting part was how he emphasized his philosophy to "develop and win now" at the same time. Anyone else listen to it?

And I think that is a pipe dream. Very hard to pull off. If he's saying that publicly after leaving the Bucks it tells me it wasn't all Herb Kohl's mandate during his time here.

He said he wants to develop and win but then went into a spiel about having to take a year to evaluate Orlando. He then later on went into saying that it was important to Kidd to hire vets to help the young team on the floor. His comment basically sounded like a guy avoiding being polarizing, i.e. being John Hammond.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,998

Post#202 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:25 pm

crkone wrote:
He said he wants to develop and win but then went into a spiel about having to take a year to evaluate Orlando. He then later on went into saying that it was important to Kidd to hire vets to help the young team on the floor. His comment basically sounded like a guy avoiding being polarizing, i.e. being John Hammond.

I thought about listening to that. Then realized just let him roll in Orlando. That said his stability there probably greater than what we've got going on here.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#203 » by Diggr14 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Edens is worth 1.2B--- the least of the 3.

Go all in. Buy the Bucks for 800M, buy out Lasry and Dinan... it’s not like the Bucks would ever be worth zero. Im sure he could find some silent partners to help finance the buyout so he can be the sole owner.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Buck Dweller
Starter
And1: 988

Post#204 » by Buck Dweller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 pm

4xBuck wrote:
JayMKE wrote:I think they are billionaire Wall Street hedge fund managers who will make a lot of money when they finally cash in on this investment. People on this board are so bipolar and quick to change their tunes when the games start, a few impressive summer league performances from our young guys and one trade/FA signing people will get back on board. Our team is really young and it seems like people raise their expectations really fast, as far as player development goes we are way ahead of schedule.

Yep...

As owners, they've done a great job building the infrastructure of the Bucks. When they bought the team, all they had was a bad stadium. Now, they a have G-league team, a brand new practice facility and in a year a brand new state of the art stadium with a beer garden/entertainment block.

:lift:

yes, a new state of the art stadium! the one that costs us a few hundred million and we won't make a dime off of it! yay!
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Re: Your view of Bucks ownership 

Post#205 » by Nowak008 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Max Green wrote:
It shows a lot of people didn't know what they were talking about. Stun.

I thought we were pretty spot with our speculation that Edens was the one who didn't like Zanik, and we were right that the GM search was a complete mess.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#206 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:13 pm

FWIW, Joe Lacob was reviled in Oakland before the revival of the Warriors.

This was a franchise that was just on the cusp of becoming a contender, only the fans didn't realize it at the time. Klay was a second year player, Curry was a third year player who hadn't been able to stay healthy, Draymond and Harrison Barnes were rookies. But they were so sick of years of ineptitude and while Lacob - the relatively new face entering his third season as owner - talked a good game, the talk hadn't translated to on-court success.

So, there's still hope left for LED. If the team takes another step next season, no one will remember the Horst debacle.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,143

Post#207 » by JEIS » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm

JackSIKMA43 wrote:While the "too many hands in the cookie jar" thing is concerning, none of these issues should surprise us. We knew these guys had never been sports franchise owners before. They essentially took on a whole new career, or business venture, whatever you want to call it. The same can be said for every person/people who buy a team, I would think. My personal view at the moment, is only focused on this ...

1. The Bucks are still in Milwaukee and are staying there.
2. There's a new arena and downtown development underway - both huge positives.
3. The Bucks' core player roster is promising and is in better shape now, than it's been for a very long time.
4. The Bucks are better than the Bulls.
5. Saying that once, isn't enough ... the Bucks are better than the Bulls.

I'm going off of that for now. As for the competency of the ownership and management, I'll defer until a few more years from now.

I think you only focus on that because that is all you can cling to without being p!$$ed. It is a coping mechanism. Like when someone gets brain cancer and they say well, at least it wasn't my kid who got it.

6.) And the Many time over world championship Lakers too!!! We are Blessed.

Awe shucks you are right. We should have seen this coming. As long as we are watching playoff basketball we should be happy. What more could you ask for?... Realistically only one team wins it all. Odds are very small. Just enjoy watching a fun game of basketball.

Let's all just be happy we have a team to watch.... and a beautiful stadium.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#208 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Not a shock, they started on awful footings with how kdid was brought. Jesus I still remember the press conference with Parker sitting next to Drew. These guys have zero plan.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#209 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Listening to the P/C of horst again. Eden's explains how he want continuity on the court and also in the FO and that's what lead to horst. Then a week later he fires the entire FO.

Also talks about how he was impressed a year with Horst when he went for assistant GM. Funny how 12 months ago he couldn't get an asst. job and today he's GM.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#210 » by Garbs_7 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Haha Alex Lasry just liked a tweet saying "Once Lasry takes over in 3 years..." with a dancing ape gif. God damn it, I can see Lasry' coming in and doing things just to spite Edens when he gets power. And our franchise just sitting in the middle hurting with the reprocussions of the owners' power plays.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#211 » by worthlessBucks » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:37 pm

I find the Randy Savage (Zanik) and Stephanie McMahon (Mallory) theory to be rather comical. Lol.
Go Bucks!
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Post#212 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Welp, I'm already trying to find my pitchfork and torch in anticipation of Giannis bolting in 4 years.

I will riot.
#FreeChuckDiesel
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,143

Re: Your view of Bucks ownership 

Post#213 » by JEIS » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:55 pm

ackypoo wrote:
Big Dog Yank wrote:
ackypoo wrote:and none of that **** truly matters to us.

i signed up to watch basketball, not state of the art beer gardens.

and in 4 years when they dont turn it around because they continue to mismanage the basketball side, and giannis leaves, so will i.

The desire for some of you to wallow in negativity is truly breathtaking at times. NONE of this matters?! If it wasn't for the state-of-the-art arena that is currently being built, this franchise wouldn't even be here anymore. And last I checked, LED got that done (mind you, in a state with an extremely fiscally conservative governor and an inept, do-nothing mayor of Milwaukee-it's a fricking it got done as easily as it did), so spare me the line of b.s. that that doesn't matter.

Listen, I'm very frustrated with how LED have acted at times, and I think this GM situation was ludicrous. But to ignore the good work they've done and strictly focus on their shortcomings is foolish.

correct, none of that matters. we are fans of basketball.

if stadiums got my dick hard, then theyd be the superheroes you think they are.

The stadium isn't finished yet. Maybe they can put in a few glory holes for all the folks enamored with Cream City brick.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#214 » by worthlessBucks » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 pm

humanrefutation wrote:FWIW, Joe Lacob was reviled in Oakland before the revival of the Warriors.

This was a franchise that was just on the cusp of becoming a contender, only the fans didn't realize it at the time. Klay was a second year player, Curry was a third year player who hadn't been able to stay healthy, Draymond and Harrison Barnes were rookies. But they were so sick of years of ineptitude and while Lacob - the relatively new face entering his third season as owner - talked a good game, the talk hadn't translated to on-court success.

So, there's still hope left for LED. If the team takes another step next season, no one will remember the Horst debacle.

Enjoyed mocking them at the time, too blind and dumb to see that their franchise was clearly moving in the right direction. Tanking to get Barnes, improving rebounding and defense, and shifting power away from Larry Riley, who didn't seem to have a clue. Guy was like a real life cartoon oil Barron, in NBA GM form.
Go Bucks!
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,405

Post#215 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:07 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
weezybaby856 wrote:Speaking of Bucks ownership, a little off topic but Alex Kennedy had John Hammond on his podcast this week and it was a decent interview. Talked a bit about Giannis but the most interesting part was how he emphasized his philosophy to "develop and win now" at the same time. Anyone else listen to it?

And I think that is a pipe dream. Very hard to pull off. If he's saying that publicly after leaving the Bucks it tells me it wasn't all Herb Kohl's mandate during his time here.

There are posters who will try to convince you that we intentionally tanked in 2013-14 which has always been crazy to me. That team was "built" to win. It just sucked.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,288

Post#216 » by Wooderson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:15 pm

humanrefutation wrote:FWIW, Joe Lacob was reviled in Oakland before the revival of the Warriors.

Lacob was boo'd because casual fans were pissed he traded their "star". I get the reasoning but don't really see how it applies to this board. It's exactly that sort of move that could instill confidence in the new regime and quell the doubters.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#217 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Love it. I hope the heat continues to turn up until we win a playoff series.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,869

Post#218 » by Fotis St » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:33 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

There are posters who will try to convince you that we intentionally tanked in 2013-14 which has always been crazy to me. That team was "built" to win. It just sucked.

As a man that joined the team from Giannis draft night ... yes, Mr Drew set this team to tank... which favoured Giannis having mope playing minutes. He was ordered/agreed to do it cause Wiggins and Jabari looked like All-Stars straight from College. I can't blame them.

L.Drew >>> J.Kidd
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#219 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Fotis St wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

As a man that joined the team from Giannis draft night ... yes, Mr Drew set this team to tank... which favoured Giannis having mope playing minutes. He was ordered/agreed to do it cause Wiggins and Jabari looked like All-Stars straight from College. I can't blame them.

L.Drew >>> J.Kidd

Now I'm definitely convinced that team was trying to win.
Do it for Chuck
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#220 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Very intelligent and professional for Alex to like that Tweet. Can't help but feel great about the guy.

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks