ImageImage

OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Re: OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1801 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 pm

I never go to ESPN.com. I usually just have their score pages up then the main page of the sports I'm interested in, then the Insider page which is so not worth the money to me, even at a discount.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#1802 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 am

Any home brewers out there? If so, how does the grain room at brew and grow compare to northern brewers?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#1803 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 am

Preds off to a shaky start
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1804 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 am

Preds!
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1805 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 am

Subban and Ekholm need to play better but Forsberg took over. The 3rd line was great.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1806 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:33 am

I'm not convinced Milwaukee could support both a hockey and basketball franchise. I believe hockey tix cost more on average but I'm not sure. The last Preds game I went to a few weeks ago I sat about 20 rows up in the lower bowl, about even with the goal and paid about $165 including fees. This was regular price not third party.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1807 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 am

Some goon on Ticketmaster is trying to sell his glass seats to the Admirals game on Saturday for $200 per ticket. Like, I know it's a concert night but does the dude know it's minor league hockey? Of course there are only 10 seats available, all re-sale with the lowest price being $84, so maybe somebody will pay $200.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1808 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 am

A full house for the season finale is cool
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1809 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 am

MickeyDavis wrote:A full house for the season finale is cool

I think their second to last home game (charity game) was around 100-200 short of what's considered a sellout as well.

Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1810 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:43 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:52% of kids 6-17 want to either be a YouTuber, blogger, or vlogger when they grow up:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3617062/children-turn-backs-on-traditional-careers-in-favour-of-internet-fame-study-finds/

How heartbroken will they be when they find out they aren’t interesting or intelligent enough for people to give a rat’s ass what they think?

It's amazing to me that so many dumbasses have built a career off of their **** youtube/twitch pages. I don't begrudge people who make good content, but 99% of it is pure trash.

Like it or not, demand peddles that garbage. There's a large contingency of young buyers who idolize these people and they can turn it into a living. I can't stomach it, but to each their own and I'll just avoid what I don't like.

On a broader scale, and I -think- I posted this before but here it is again, social media's impact on the human psyche is not good. I'm a sucker for the main outlets, FB and IG, as I still have a marginal interest in seeing what certain friends are up to with their lives, but overall I've grown tired of people. We're far too overexposed and all I see is a lot of masquerading.

*Insert old man yelling at cloud picture*
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#1811 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:39 pm

It's not social media's fault. That's the tool. It's us guys. It's us.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#1812 » by humanrefutation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:52% of kids 6-17 want to either be a YouTuber, blogger, or vlogger when they grow up:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3617062/children-turn-backs-on-traditional-careers-in-favour-of-internet-fame-study-finds/

How heartbroken will they be when they find out they aren’t interesting or intelligent enough for people to give a rat’s ass what they think?

It's amazing to me that so many dumbasses have built a career off of their **** youtube/twitch pages. I don't begrudge people who make good content, but 99% of it is pure trash.

Like it or not, demand peddles that garbage. There's a large contingency of young buyers who idolize these people and they can turn it into a living. I can't stomach it, but to each their own and I'll just avoid what I don't like.

On a broader scale, and I -think- I posted this before but here it is again, social media's impact on the human psyche is not good. I'm a sucker for the main outlets, FB and IG, as I still have a marginal interest in seeing what certain friends are up to with their lives, but overall I've grown tired of people. We're far too overexposed and all I see is a lot of masquerading.

I've grown to believe that social media does have a negative effect on our overall mental well-being and ability to connect with other people. While I still use it, I find myself less interested in engaging with others than I ever have been. I also have noticed that Facebook and Instagram have become so cluttered with non-acquaintances (news orgs, famous folks, ads, suggested pages) that I sometimes have to scroll quite a bit to actually see an update from someone I know. That's partially my fault - I sometimes make a conscious choice to follow certain things - but it's also the fault of the way facebook has corporatized its newsfeed.

That, coupled with all of the information they're farming from their users, leads me to feel like these things will ultimately do more harm than good.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#1813 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:28 pm

This is such a perfect expose on the Le Batard empire.

Michael Shur is a huge fan, it looks like.

During our time together, I mistakenly referred to Le Batard’s parents as Cuban immigrants, and he politely corrected me: They are exiles. The fact that his parents gave up money and status in Cuba to come to America, so he and his brother could live freely, is at the front of his mind all the time. At one point, as I watched the team prepare to tape Highly Questionable, Le Batard went to the back of his elderly father’s chair, bent over and hugged him, whispering something in his ear. Papi patted his wrist paternally. The moment was quiet and lovely. It is also, probably, the answer to the question that sent me down here. How is any of this possible? It’s possible because The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz is the unfettered vision of a tightknit group of people, surrounded by their close friends and loved ones, who feel uncommonly content and creatively free. It’s the work of a group of people who all get their own show.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1814 » by humanrefutation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:This is such a perfect expose on the Le Batard empire.

During our time together, I mistakenly referred to Le Batard’s parents as Cuban immigrants, and he politely corrected me: They are exiles. The fact that his parents gave up money and status in Cuba to come to America, so he and his brother could live freely, is at the front of his mind all the time. At one point, as I watched the team prepare to tape Highly Questionable, Le Batard went to the back of his elderly father’s chair, bent over and hugged him, whispering something in his ear. Papi patted his wrist paternally. The moment was quiet and lovely. It is also, probably, the answer to the question that sent me down here. How is any of this possible? It’s possible because The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz is the unfettered vision of a tightknit group of people, surrounded by their close friends and loved ones, who feel uncommonly content and creatively free. It’s the work of a group of people who all get their own show.

This was a really good piece, and the last part his the nail on the head. There are moments where I've sat and listened to them and felt like I was at home with my friends and family. It is one of the few places in major media - not just sports media - where I don't feel as a viewer that I'm an outsider.

I've been watching HQ almost religiously for about five years now. I only started making the radio show a regular part of my life about a year ago. I wish I would have gotten on board earlier.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#1815 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:06 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

This was a really good piece, and the last part his the nail on the head. There are moments where I've sat and listened to them and felt like I was at home with my friends and family. It is one of the few places in major media - not just sports media - where I don't feel as a viewer that I'm an outsider.

I've been watching HQ almost religiously for about five years now. I only started making the radio show a regular part of my life about a year ago. I wish I would have gotten on board earlier.

I'm the opposite. I've only seen HQ a handful of times because I'm never home, and if I DVR it there's a lot of recycled content from the radio show, and I've been listening every day religiously since it went national.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1816 » by humanrefutation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I'm the opposite. I've only seen HQ a handful of times because I'm never home, and if I DVR it there's a lot of recycled content from the radio show, and I've been listening every day religiously since it went national.

I get that. I DVR it and watch it when I get home. FWIW, it's not really recycled content, though. The sports stuff might be recycled (sometimes - the radio show really doesn't spend much time actually talking sports), but move on to the second and third segments when they're oftentimes just watching funny videos/clips and commenting on it. That is where it becomes gold, IMO. Papi is amazingly funny.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1817 » by humanrefutation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:26 pm

BTW

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#1818 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I spent most of grade school planning on being a professional basketball players despite only being able to grow to 5'8" and uncoordinated. I don't think I'm a complete drain on society.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1819 » by crkone » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:41 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:It's amazing to me that so many dumbasses have built a career off of their **** youtube/twitch pages. I don't begrudge people who make good content, but 99% of it is pure trash.

I spent most of grade school planning on being a professional basketball players despite only being able to grow to 5'8" and uncoordinated. I don't think I'm a complete drain on society.

I wanted to be an astronaut, or Gordon Gekko. :-?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1820 » by humanrefutation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 pm

crkone wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:

I wanted to be an astronaut, or Gordon Gekko. :-?

I wanted to write about sports for a living.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks